Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Best USB Hub?

DJSoulSongs 10:56 AM - 29 July, 2018
Hey all,

I've a 2011 MacBook Pro so limited to 2 x USB 2 ports. My HD is Thunderbolt and Serato will be using one of the ports.

Can anyone please recommend the best powered USB hub to use?

Also, does it matter if its a USB 3 hub going into a USB 2 connection?

Thanks!

Soul
RR437T 1:20 PM - 29 July, 2018
If you only have usb2, just plug your controller/mixer into it. If you have other usb devices, figure out how to do things another way.
DJSoulSongs 2:03 PM - 29 July, 2018
Thanks for the reply however, If I use both my ports for 1 deck and a mixer, there's nothing left for the hub so what's the other way?
RR437T 2:50 PM - 29 July, 2018
Quote:
Thanks for the reply however, If I use both my ports for 1 deck and a mixer, there's nothing left for the hub so what's the other way?

What deck and mixer do you have?
DJSoulSongs 2:53 PM - 29 July, 2018
Hey, I'm just starting to play again and it looks like I'll be getting the Akai AMX mixer and 2 x Numark V7's.
RR437T 7:51 PM - 29 July, 2018
If I'm not mistaken, you would have to buy the V7's used. I would just get a new controller for the same money. That way, you only have 1 usb connection to deal with, not 3. Since you only have usb2, I would put your music on the internal hard drive. If you go with a Pioneer controller, it will run Rekordbox native, and has mappings for Traktor and VDJ. That way you don't have to rely on Serato.
DJSoulSongs 8:04 PM - 29 July, 2018
Hey thanks, I wanted the V7's as the platter is meant to be the closest thing to a technics feel, could go with the NS7ii though. My music's on a Thunderbolt drive which is fine and I'd rather stick to Serato as I've built my collection in that format since 2003 so it's pretty organised (and big) :)

Will look at Pioneer controllers also though, is there a 'mid' priced one you'd recommend?

Thanks again!
RR437T 10:12 PM - 29 July, 2018
The NS7ii I think would be a much better choice. As for the music, I thought you only had usb2. Put the music anywhere else than on the usb2 bus, is what I meant.

I have a Pioneer SX2, which is a Serato controller, but I use it with Rekordbox and Traktor as well. I like Serato the best, but if that was my only option, I wouldn't be able to DJ. I hate to say it, but its the most unreliable piece of software I've ever used. I would suggest that you read some of the posts on this site that detail some of the problems people have with Serato, and see if its something you really want to rely on. For me, I've had enough, at least for now. This week, I have a Denon Prime system coming. I'll use it for a year or two and maybe try Serato again sometime in the future.
Rebelguy 1:49 AM - 30 July, 2018
Quote:
The NS7ii I think would be a much better choice. As for the music, I thought you only had usb2. Put the music anywhere else than on the usb2 bus, is what I meant.

I have a Pioneer SX2, which is a Serato controller, but I use it with Rekordbox and Traktor as well. I like Serato the best, but if that was my only option, I wouldn't be able to DJ. I hate to say it, but its the most unreliable piece of software I've ever used. I would suggest that you read some of the posts on this site that detail some of the problems people have with Serato, and see if its something you really want to rely on. For me, I've had enough, at least for now. This week, I have a Denon Prime system coming. I'll use it for a year or two and maybe try Serato again sometime in the future.

What kind of computer are you using. Serato DJ and Serato DJ Pro have been rock solid for me with my SX, SX2 and MC7000.
raedonquan 2:41 AM - 30 July, 2018
been using a belkin since 2011 no problems...connected serato remote with ipad.. 2 cdj 850's and an external hd no problems
Philmixit 9:25 AM - 30 July, 2018
Hi RR437T,
I have to say that Serato DJ pro is rock solid, since release I have no problem at all.
You should give Serato DJ pro a try.👍🏾
DJSoulSongs 9:33 AM - 30 July, 2018
Quote:

Thanks for the advice, I did mention I had a Thunderbolt hard drive in my original post. This surprises me as I've used Serato since the beginning and it's always been rock solid for me! I am considering getting a Pioneer controller though..

Quote:
been using a belkin since 2011 no problems...connected serato remote with ipad.. 2 cdj 850's and an external hd no problems

Hi, out of curiosity what Belkin do you use?

Quote:
Hi RR437T,
I have to say that Serato DJ pro is rock solid, since release I have no problem at all.

Hey, thanks yeah that's what I'm going to use :) Seratos always been great for me too!

Thanks again all ^^
DJ Marv the Maverick 10:15 AM - 30 July, 2018
Why not get a thunderbolt dock, I used the Elgato thunderbolt 2 dock when I had the older MacBook pro 2014.

Elgato Thunderbolt 2 Dock - With 50 cm Thunderbolt cable, 20Gb/s, 4K support, 2x Thunderbolt 2, 3x USB 3.0, audio input and output, Gigabit Ethernet, aluminum chassis www.amazon.co.uk

I bought a longer thunderbolt 2 cable for it as the one that it came with was just 30cm long. I see they have now included 50cm length cable with it.

StarTech.com 2m Thunderbolt Cable - M/M - Thunder Bolt to Thunder Bolt 2 Meter Cable - M/M www.amazon.co.uk

You can plug your thunderbolt external hard drive into it.

It gives you 3 extra usb ports and you still have the 2 on your computer. It also gives you a more powerful HDMI port, I find that the on board HDMi point on the MacBook are low powered and struggles with long HDMI cable runs.

I even plug controller/mixer into the hub when I use it with my 2017 MacBook pro using the official apple thunderbolt 2 to 3 adapter.
DJSoulSongs 10:23 AM - 30 July, 2018
Quote:
Why not get a thunderbolt dock, I used the Elgato thunderbolt 2 dock when I had the older MacBook pro 2014.

Elgato Thunderbolt 2 Dock - With 50 cm Thunderbolt cable, 20Gb/s, 4K support, 2x Thunderbolt 2, 3x USB 3.0, audio input and output, Gigabit Ethernet, aluminum chassis www.amazon.co.uk

I bought a longer thunderbolt 2 cable for it as the one that it came with was just 30cm long. I see they have now included 50cm length cable with it.

StarTech.com 2m Thunderbolt Cable - M/M - Thunder Bolt to Thunder Bolt 2 Meter Cable - M/M www.amazon.co.uk

You can plug your thunderbolt external hard drive into it.

It gives you 3 extra usb ports and you still have the 2 on your computer. It also gives you a more powerful HDMI port, I find that the on board HDMi point on the MacBook are low powered and struggles with long HDMI cable runs.

I even plug controller/mixer into the hub when I use it with my 2017 MacBook pro using the official apple thunderbolt 2 to 3 adapter.

Hey, thank you will look into that, appreciate the links too! :)
RR437T 10:43 AM - 30 July, 2018
Quote:
Hi RR437T,

I already have it on 3 machines. If it worked, I wouldn't have bought a Denon system.
RR437T 10:53 AM - 30 July, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

What kind of computer are you using. Serato DJ and Serato DJ Pro have been rock solid for me with my SX, SX2 and MC7000.

Its on 2 Windows machines and 1 Mac. All less than a year old.
raedonquan 4:10 AM - 31 July, 2018
this is the belkin i use now i had a 4 port for the longest.. but needed more ports

www.amazon.com
DJSoulSongs 8:41 AM - 31 July, 2018
Ok great, thx for the link too :)
Bornd Fono 8:06 AM - 2 August, 2018
The Delock USB hub I use (powered) worked for me for a few years now without problems!
DJSoulSongs 8:18 PM - 3 August, 2018
Thx Bornd :)
dj_soo 8:04 PM - 4 August, 2018
I wouldn't get an AMX to go with V7s if you decide to go that route. The V7s are serato devices (which you can link 2 of them) so there's no need for the serato card on the AMX and could actually lead to conplications since the AMX requires it to be plugged in via usb to work and Serato doesn't always play nice when you plug in multiple serato devices at once.

basic mixer like a DJ-Tech DIF-1 would be a better choice.