DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Rane 12 impressions compared to.......?

THEE_Dj 2:10 PM - 26 July, 2018
Wondering if anyone here can offer a comparison of the rane 12's vs say the NS7 or Denon S3900's or the v7's. I see a lot of people reviewing them but all the reviewers act like Rane did something completely new as if the concept has never been done before and compare it to turntables but never compare it to the other direct competitors on the market almost as if none exist (which is kind of irritating). I have the NS7iii and wouldn't pay 800 a pop. But once the price starts to drop to a more palatable price (or I come across a good sale) MAY consider it. But I'm curious about how they compare outside of the obvious difference of a 12" platter vs a 7" platter.

How does torque feel when comparing? Does it feel MORE like spinning with vinyl than the NS7? Is it as accurate when it comes to scratching? Does it need to be adjusted at all (like the ns7) to give you that true vinyl feel for things like spin backs? I would assume so since the actual spindle has to spin backwards. Are the difficult to adjust the feel? All that kind of stuff
Aptidda 4:00 PM - 26 July, 2018
Well any simple search on YouTube would clearly and accurately respond to all of your questions but I will give it a crack:

The 12 is going to feel identical to using DVS vinyl on a real turntable, used a real TT with DVS before? Ya its the same...

The vinyl is attached in the same way and is identical to the spindle on a V7 NS7.

That's about it.
THEE_Dj 6:18 PM - 26 July, 2018
i've done youtube searches. I see reviews, but never comparing them to the NS7. I know it seems simple but its not. So, an example, I used to have the DNS-3700's by Denon. LOVED them. Then I got an NS7 (first gen) and there were very distinct differences. The 3700s felt much more like "real vinyl" when it came to the "feel" of the vinyl against the slip mats. The NS7 was difficult to get the same "feel". That said, there was give with the platters on the 3700. Which felt like a record on a turn table where the spindle hole has widened over time so the record isn't as tight. The NS7 didn't have that issue at all. The feel of the actual vinyl was different. The fact Numark has been doing this since like 2008 and Rane just started, there could be little nuances that people say "i did notice that when i do x, y happens". Because the platter is bigger but both have 3600 ticks per revolution...in theroy, you'd have to move the platter on the twelve farther to go 1 tick than on the ns7....when cutting/scratching is there a noticeable difference between the two.
THEE_Dj 6:19 PM - 26 July, 2018
I say all of that because the differences in (again) the NS7 and the 3700 were things that only people who had used both noticed. People who had only used 1 or neither felt they were basically the same item, but when it came to use, sound quality, scratching, etc they were different
17tr2 7:35 PM - 26 July, 2018
"Because the platter is bigger but both have 3600 ticks per revolution...in theroy, you'd have to move the platter on the twelve farther to go 1 tick than on the ns7....when cutting/scratching is there a noticeable difference between the two."

Not necessarily. If you move your hand inward to the same distance from the center of the platter that you would be on the NS7, that would take the "gearing" aspect out of it. Not only that, the bigger wheel on the 12 will give you finer control the further outward you move your hand. The Rane clearly has the advantage in this area.
AKIEM 7:45 PM - 2 August, 2018
The TWELVE is very close to the 1200+DVS

however, I can tell a difference in sound at very low speed

supposedly thats fixed by adjusting the adapter to the spindle - which I am skeptical about.

Wherever other decks feel different than 1200 there would be the same difference. It physically feels very close.

The stop 45/33 buttons are clicky. the pitch fader sits above the face. the on off feels less solid. if you use the spindle to adjust speed it work fine, you will just have to get used to touching a 45 adapter below the spindle. but the spindle has the same hieght above the 45 adapter.

platter feels exactly the same. there probably more different feels between different 1200 decks.

The first time I actually tried the TWELVE I went live on the ear with it - only minimal having to get used to the differences for me.
Logisticalstyles 2:48 PM - 9 August, 2018
This looks dope

djtechtools.com
popnwave 3:13 PM - 9 August, 2018
Quote:
This looks dope

djtechtools.com

For those who want the smaller footprint that looks like a winner, but they will cry about the cost.
Aptidda 3:40 PM - 9 August, 2018
just placed a pre order for two sc5000M's- these look incredible. Like a V7 yet with a screen and standalone. Must have!