Serato Video General Discussion

Talk about Serato Video and Video-SL.

Maxed out CPU with HDMI but Not VGA

Snert 3:19 AM - 26 July, 2018
So I have some Karaoke gigs coming up and purchased Serato video to do so. Only huge issue is when using HDMI in any setting it maxes out the CPU and makes Serato unusable but when connected via VGA it runs great. Whats the issue? If I didn't need it for gigs I'd ask for a refund because this is a joke. I used HDMI for video in clubs years ago on the same computer without issue now with Serao Pro it's unusable. Please help asap.
Snert 3:42 AM - 26 July, 2018
Computer is:
MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013)
2.6 GHz Intel Core i7
16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB
Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB
Snert 1:54 PM - 26 July, 2018
So, when I change my display settings to 720p while using HDMI before opening Serato and Enabling Video it will work much better. Still lags when mixing and using effects. I officially want a full refund.
popnwave 4:34 PM - 26 July, 2018
I'd open a ticket for that.

Does seem like there's a resolution hiccup going on, what are you connecting to via HDMI and what resolution is it?
Snert 4:37 PM - 26 July, 2018
I've tried multiple monitors. Everything from a small 19 inch I use for Karaoke to a 52 inch TV. All behave the same when the Resolution setting of the monitor is 1080p which is maxed out CPU and unusable. However, if I change the resolution setting to 720p before opening Serato is works much better. Still not perfect because once I add effects and starts mixing two videos together is glitches just enough to make unusable for live use. I haven't compared to 720p HDMI to VGA yet but I will later today. My bet is VGA will still run way better, even at higher settings.
popnwave 6:45 PM - 26 July, 2018
That is pretty odd, and the CPU only spikes when SV is running? Or does it freak out even if you just use HDMI out for an extended desktop?
Snert 8:34 PM - 26 July, 2018
Only for Serato Video. I use HDMI daily for long periods of use to make and download music, video streaming like Netflix and just daily use.
popnwave 8:51 PM - 26 July, 2018
That is pretty odd then, of all the whacky stuff SV does bug wise I don't recall a previous user having that issue. Good luck!
Snert 1:28 PM - 27 July, 2018
Quote:
That is pretty odd then, of all the whacky stuff SV does bug wise I don't recall a previous user having that issue. Good luck!

First time for everything. Maybe my GPU is crapping out. Its a Late 2013 and gets used daily and has seen a lot of gigs.
popnwave 2:32 PM - 27 July, 2018
Quote:
First time for everything. Maybe my GPU is crapping out. Its a Late 2013 and gets used daily and has seen a lot of gigs.

The fact it doesn't freak out otherwise makes me think your hardware is OK, just for giggles you should grab the demo of MixEmergency (inklen.com), it will have the ugly watermark, disable SV and fire that up and see if you get the same spike when doing video. That would really put the blame on Serato Video.
DJ Tecniq 4:37 PM - 27 July, 2018
Maybe bad hdmi cord? Did you do a clean install of your OS or did you update from a previous OS. Reason i ask is because i updated Yosemite to High Sierra and Serato Video was sluggish and i had many video freezes. I backed up my data and did a fresh install of “Sierra” mainly cause i don’t like High Sierra’s new file format but video has been running like butter ever since.
Snert 5:46 PM - 27 July, 2018
I think if I update to High Sierra it may potentially fix some of the issue. I know a big key to all this trouble is only having 512mb on the GPU and not being able to upgrade. I dont want to do a fresh OS install so close to the show. I think I'll be able to limp through this weekend but this still needs to be fixed.
Quote:
Quote:

The fact it doesn't freak out otherwise makes me think your hardware is OK, just for giggles you should grab the demo of MixEmergency (inklen.com), it will have the ugly watermark, disable SV and fire that up and see if you get the same spike when doing video. That would really put the blame on Serato Video.

Ill try that tonight. Thanks for the idea.
DJ Tecniq 5:57 PM - 27 July, 2018
Updating to High Sierra will only make it worse. There’s been a few users that have updated to High Sierra and immediately had video issues because it wasn’t a fresh install of the operating system. A clean install of High Sierra is better it would be like a new system again and would prob fix the video issues you were having. If you decide to do this backup your data cause this will completely wipe the computer out and deactivate all your Serato products before you do so. Cause you’ll have to reactivate everything. I would also try Mix Emergency it’s a more professional video application that would run better with less cpu usage.
djkavika 6:25 PM - 28 July, 2018
Go to your video settings tab and change the dropdown box from “default” to “software” and see if that changes things. If you have dual GPU on your computer VGA uses the Intel card and HDMI uses the GPU. Really they both use the GPU but it renders video differently on the VGA connection.
Snert 4:28 PM - 6 August, 2018
Quote:
Go to your video settings tab and change the dropdown box from “default” to “software” and see if that changes things. If you have dual GPU on your computer VGA uses the Intel card and HDMI uses the GPU. Really they both use the GPU but it renders video differently on the VGA connection.

If that was the case you'd think VGA would have the issues and HDMI wouldn't. Ill try it out when I get home today.
djkavika 5:01 PM - 6 August, 2018
Maybe this will make more sense- Intel in the base image, then GPU is an overlay image on VGA. HDMI is GPU Only, no overlay. Yes it should do the same thing on both but this is my understanding how it works.