DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Why DON'T you make mixes anymore?

Mr. Goodkat 8:52 PM - 17 July, 2018
I never see mixes from djs, but i do see 30 sec social media vids.

Why don't you make at least 1 mix a year?
deejayfatcat 9:09 PM - 17 July, 2018
To be honest as a songwriter and producer, it’s hard enough getting ppl to listen to 3.5 minutes, imagine an hour.

I put up a post here recent for a new house mix I did that got solid feedback from a few ppl I trust. It got zero clicks. All ppl want to talk about here is speakers and lights. Not a judgement, just an observation.
popnwave 9:39 PM - 17 July, 2018
I do video mixes at least 4 times a month, I do it just to new stuff out and I am not super worried about a dance floor. I stream to Twitch, post it to Facebook (where it just gets flagged, nuked or muted) and whatever else for the fun of it.

I think the hosting sites are very fragmented these days. Everyone gets scared of restreaming rights and doesn't want to be holding the bag when labels come knocking. And of course the labels haven't made understanding the licensing/royalty system any easier.
Mr. Goodkat 9:59 PM - 17 July, 2018
Mixcloud seems to be fine for commercial stuff. i have around 80-100 mixes up on Soundcloud but they are generally house or techno/forms of those 2 genres, and i never get them taken down.

Honestly i dont get a huge amount of plays, i just do them for myself and send them to friends for dl.

Young djs have promo pics, epks, and logos but no mixes.

I literally saw one the other day for 8 minutes.
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 10:32 PM - 17 July, 2018
I am a guest mixer on www.DeepSpaceRadio.com and every month I say I am going to start doing a mix or two or month.

Life is usually a distraction....

I got a shitload of music new and old - I just need to start banging some stuff out - maybe start this week for a AUGUST RELEASE!!!!
DJ Val-BKNY11203 1:12 AM - 18 July, 2018
I do them almost weekly on mixlr.
Logisticalstyles 2:26 PM - 18 July, 2018
I'm working on being more consistent with putting out mixes, and even video content. I'm too easily distracted when in the studio.
DJ Nin 6:29 PM - 19 July, 2018
I'm working on putting out mixes more consistently myself.

Generally speaking though...videos get way more hits. As mentioned above it's tough to keep people's attention for more than a few minutes.
HK1200 9:03 PM - 19 July, 2018
I'd keep making them, but people give me funny looks when I hand them the cassette.
RonDu 9:51 PM - 19 July, 2018
Quote:
I'd keep making them, but people give me funny looks when I hand them the cassette.

LMAO!!!!
RonDu 9:53 PM - 19 July, 2018
I really need to get back into making mixes. But like a few of you guys said they don't really get too many plays. But I think I'm gonna start again anyway.
Aptidda 11:53 PM - 19 July, 2018
because my mixes have and always will suck.
Illiment 4:10 PM - 20 July, 2018
I haven't done a mixtape in 12 years lol. Just finished one though, went old school and did a run of 1000 cd's. Design and all. Went the whole 9.

I feel like with a lot of things, mixes will come full circle and be in demand again. As long as you do something dope and fresh, ppl will respond well.
Illiment 4:12 PM - 20 July, 2018
People tend to not give any fucks anymore when you spam them with links asking to download or stream your mix. There's def something to be said about having something tangible to give them in person.
Mr. Goodkat 4:22 PM - 20 July, 2018
Quote:
People tend to not give any fucks anymore when you spam them with links asking to download or stream your mix. There's def something to be said about having something tangible to give them in person.

good point. ive thought about USB memory sticks too, but those seem easy just to lose, but it does have a built in promo value if you can get your logo on the stick

Thing about CDs is that so many people dont even have access to cd players and MBPs dont even have a drive anymore
 6 9:43 PM - 20 July, 2018
Family, design work, school. It all takes time away from making mixes, but I still manage to keep making new mixes.

www.TurntableMix.com
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 10:43 PM - 20 July, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
There's def something to be said about having something tangible to give them in person.

good point. ive thought about USB memory sticks too, but those seem easy just to lose, but it does have a built in promo value if you can get your logo on the stick

Thing about CDs is that so many people dont even have access to cd players and MBPs dont even have a drive anymore

I was just gonna ask if anyone had moved on to USB sticks. A couple of House Music DJs in my area still SELL mixed CDs and have recently ventured to USB Sticks (4 to 10 mixes on a stick).

Their target market has to be adults 40 and up so many still have CD players and have not embraced the whole streaming thing BUT they probably have a USB port in the car connected to the radio.

I'm sure 25 and unders wouldn't BUY a mixed DJ CD or USB stick but ask where they could download or stream - no???
HK1200 11:29 PM - 20 July, 2018
Fwiw, I'm 41 and stream mad house in my car. Iptv at home and in the car too. Don't sleep the 40 year olds, we invented this shit. Lol

But yeah, I think if I was looking to do that kind of promotion I'd go with a combination of USB sticks as well as digital download and streaming. Best to cover as many bases as possible. If you're passing it out for free those sticks are gonna add up, so I'd save those for whomever I deemed important enough to get one. Everyone else would get a nice little professionally printed card or flyer with a short little link for online access. Maybe fancy it up a bit with packaging if I'm selling. Free laminate inside, or glow sticks, or a pacifier or some shit. Haha
Illiment 4:52 PM - 21 July, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
There's def something to be said about having something tangible to give them in person.

I was just gonna ask if anyone had moved on to USB sticks. A couple of House Music DJs in my area still SELL mixed CDs and have recently ventured to USB Sticks (4 to 10 mixes on a stick).

Their target market has to be adults 40 and up so many still have CD players and have not embraced the whole streaming thing BUT they probably have a USB port in the car connected to the radio.

I'm sure 25 and unders wouldn't BUY a mixed DJ CD or USB stick but ask where they could download or stream - no???

I actually looked into it a few years ago, you can get some DOPPPPEEE ass usb sticks in bulk (i.e. bottle openers etc) and get them pre-loaded with your content (much easier and quicker than doing a run of say 1000 CD's and have the option of adding video content etc, but it's damn expensive right now. Hopefully in a few years the prices drop to reasonable levels.
Laz219 12:10 AM - 23 July, 2018
Quote:

This doesn't surprise me at all, given the number of people on this forum that make a post "I just bought an SB2, give me a DJ name" and their display picture is already them holding up their controller in some way.
More worried about looking like a DJ on social media than actually learning the skills first.

I used to love making mixes, it was a good way to really dig through my library and find stuff I'd usually overlook when playing live.
I haven't made one for quite a while, just due to lack of time and motivation. I only touch my turntables maybe once or twice a fortnight. I've started sketching out ideas before and then I just get sidetracked and don't come back to it.
Illiment 6:27 PM - 23 July, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
This doesn't surprise me at all, given the number of people on this forum that make a post "I just bought an SB2, give me a DJ name" and their display picture is already them holding up their controller in some way.
More worried about looking like a DJ on social media than actually learning the skills first.

I used to love making mixes, it was a good way to really dig through my library and find stuff I'd usually overlook when playing live.
I haven't made one for quite a while, just due to lack of time and motivation. I only touch my turntables maybe once or twice a fortnight. I've started sketching out ideas before and then I just get sidetracked and don't come back to it.

all of this
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 7:57 PM - 23 July, 2018
Quote:
I only touch my turntables maybe once or twice a fortnight.

fort·night
ˈfôrtˌnīt/Submit
nounBRITISH
a period of two weeks.
informal
used after the name of a day to indicate that something will take place two weeks after that day.

Y'all wasn't sure either - I KNOW I WASN'T THE ONLY ONE _ I thought it was like twice a month.
deejayfatcat 9:30 PM - 23 July, 2018
If you read any Shakespeare, u know what’s up
Palygos 10:50 PM - 1 August, 2018
I make mixes once a week or so.