DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

New Macbook Pros ... Finally 32GB of RAM!

DJ GaFFle 12:22 AM - 15 July, 2018
www.apple.com

Bout time! I don't think Serato takes advantage of all of that memory but it sure does future-proof your machine having the 32GB ram option.
 6 5:03 PM - 15 July, 2018
I'm getting the top of the line with 4TB SSD for all my music videos for a little under 7 grand
DJ Marv the Maverick 12:39 AM - 16 July, 2018
Quote:
I'm getting the top of the line with 4TB SSD for all my music videos for a little under 7 grand

Boss level 🙀

Almost 8500 euros here for the max specced 15" no way
DJ GaFFle 5:40 PM - 16 July, 2018
Quote:

Just what I thought... I had a feeling serious productivity folks would lean back to Macs. I think the PC market stole a few high-end video, graphic and power-users away from Macs due to Apple's apprehension to go 32GB and high-end on the SSD's. I think Windows 10 closed some of the gap but I'd still prefer a Macbook Pro over any other laptop.

For some reason, these prices seem higher than ever though. I wonder if the recent US tariffs have anything to do with that...
popnwave 6:42 PM - 16 July, 2018
Screw that 4TB premium, the storage is fast as hell though. It's benchmarking light years ahead of anything else on the market laptop wise in that class.

The model I built out runs about $4300, a full $1000 more than my maxxed out 2012 was. This is pretty disappointing.
DJ GaFFle 6:46 PM - 16 July, 2018
Quote:
Screw that 4TB premium, the storage is fast as hell though. It's benchmarking light years ahead of anything else on the market laptop wise in that class.

The model I built out runs about $4300, a full $1000 more than my maxxed out 2012 was. This is pretty disappointing.

Yeah but that 32GB ram option is a game changer.
popnwave 6:53 PM - 16 July, 2018
I am happy they upped that limit while keeping the overall battery life sustained.

Not that any DJing software, audio or video, will make decent use out of it in the next 3 years.
WarpNote 5:48 PM - 17 July, 2018
Yeah, the new offerings from Apple (MacBook Pro 2018 and iMac Pro 2018) are so overpriced that I had to move over to windows for my main office workstation and concert visuals laptop (Animation, Motion Graphics, Video Work, Live Visuals).

I still use my 2012 and a 2014 mbp's for music though...
Aptidda 6:16 PM - 17 July, 2018
Quote:
Yeah, the new offerings from Apple (MacBook Pro 2018 and iMac Pro 2018) are so overpriced that I had to move over to windows for my main office workstation and concert visuals laptop (Animation, Motion Graphics, Video Work, Live Visuals).

I still use my 2012 and a 2014 mbp's for music though...

Windows LOL. Should be receiving my fully spec'd new MacBook over the next couple of days here.
WarpNote 8:29 AM - 18 July, 2018
Quote:
Should be receiving my fully spec'd new MacBook over the next couple of days here.
Are you getting the 4tb mbp? Looks very nice, but rather overpriced for the spec, IMO.

Btw, my Windows systems are for Adobe Premiere, Adobe After Effects, Autodesk Maya & Resolume Arena. In this area, Apple is sadly lagging behind. My laptop is 64GB Ram, 6TB SSD (1x 2tb .m2 + 1x 4tb Sata), GTX1070 graphics, and a desktop grade cpu. While the Desktop is kinda similar, but running the GTX1080Ti (will add 2 more 1080s later).
djcrap 2:27 PM - 18 July, 2018
Did any body mention that new maxed out mbp is 6 cores!

Made me wonder how fast that bitch can go through analyzing files 👀👀👀👀
Aptidda 4:59 PM - 18 July, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
Should be receiving my fully spec'd new MacBook over the next couple of days here.
Are you getting the 4tb mbp? Looks very nice, but rather overpriced for the spec, IMO.

Btw, my Windows systems are for Adobe Premiere, Adobe After Effects, Autodesk Maya & Resolume Arena. In this area, Apple is sadly lagging behind. My laptop is 64GB Ram, 6TB SSD (1x 2tb .m2 + 1x 4tb Sata), GTX1070 graphics, and a desktop grade cpu. While the Desktop is kinda similar, but running the GTX1080Ti (will add 2 more 1080s later).

Yes I ordered the completely maxed out unit, one for me and one for the wife on the debit card. A little over 15K for both but I figure should hold up for the next 5-6 years before needing to upgrade again. The 4TB upgrade is complete robbery at a $3200 option, I wonder if this will be user upgradeable or completed by a competent third party. I just didn't want to worry about it....
popnwave 6:10 PM - 18 July, 2018
Quote:
I wonder if this will be user upgradeable or completed by a competent third party.

It can't be... it is literally part of the logic board, seen here in the YELLOW BOXES on the top

d3nevzfk7ii3be.cloudfront.net

and RED BOXES on the bottom of the board.

d3nevzfk7ii3be.cloudfront.net

Which makes a lot of sense, that's just a 256GB model, cramming 4TB on that board is insane and it does not use anything anyone else is at the moment.
dj_soo 7:20 PM - 19 July, 2018
Maxxed out 15" is like $10k here in Canada :/
WarpNote 2:25 AM - 20 July, 2018
Yeah, top spec here in Norway is 9462.49 USD.
Way overpriced imo. Same spec in the US is 6699.00.
So much for equal pricing, lol...
Apple is sadly no longer an opiton for highend work my region ...