Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Quad core question

novakone 12:53 PM - 12 July, 2018
Hi all,
I have a 2012 MBP I7 2.9 GHz
Seems to run Serato pretty well but can’t quite get the buffer as low as I would like.
Especially for long durations.

It’s a pretty well specced machine for the age but thinking about upgrading.
Would a quad core processor but with similar specs run SDJpro better and enable me to lower the buffer?
DjSyndic8 1:47 PM - 12 July, 2018
Quote:
Hi all,
Seems to run Serato pretty well but can’t quite get the buffer as low as I would like.

Would a quad core processor but with similar specs run SDJpro better and enable me to lower the buffer?

how low do u want to go with the latency?
you don't want to go lower then 2 or 5... you are not going to notice any latency
also what DJ hardware do you use?
novakone 2:07 PM - 12 July, 2018
Use 5 atm but only cut and juggle so want it as low as it can go.

Use a Rane 72 and two TTs
Unfortunately got a problem with the RAM soldering on the MBP so can only run one bank of 8

Thinking being able to run 16 GB may help also

Thanks for response
DjSyndic8 11:24 PM - 12 July, 2018
Quote:
Use 5 atm but only cut and juggle so want it as low as it can go.

Use a Rane 72 and two TTs
Unfortunately got a problem with the RAM soldering on the MBP so can only run one bank of 8

Thinking being able to run 16 GB may help also

Thanks for response

you can probably run 1x 16gb ram stick on the 1 good slot but you wont be able to run your ram in dual channel but its do-able and pricey,
also turn off "High Screen Display" it might help

also optimize your mac using the serato guide might also help> support.serato.com
novakone 6:25 AM - 13 July, 2018
I didn’t think running a single 16 gb chip was possible.

Anyway that’s by the by. I’m more curious about how much more power a quad core system would have over mine and if Serato would utilise it.
Like I say my machine is well specced but I’ll upgrade if it means getting a better latency

Thanks
The Return of Dj Sparky 10:23 AM - 13 July, 2018
I would ignore most of what syndic8 dude is saying, he is always offering tech help but rarely has a clue what he's talking about

That Mac you have should run sdj on lowest latency , check if you have background programs taking resources
DjSyndic8 11:08 AM - 13 July, 2018
Quote:
I would ignore most of what syndic8 dude is saying, he is always offering tech help but rarely has a clue what he's talking about

That Mac you have should run sdj on lowest latency , check if you have background programs taking resources

don't worry what sparky says he usually repeats other djs comments around here, he never offers any useful information he just roams around threads bullying and making stupid comments, never anything useful go and read his comments total useless member does not contribute anything positive or usefull, other members on this forum just ignore him hes not helpful at all hes like sh*t on a dogs ass you cant seem him but you smell something give it up sparky or you'll get told off again by a Serato Mod.

Quote:

Anyway that’s by the by. I’m more curious about how much more power a quad core system would have over mine and if Serato would utilise it.
Like I say my machine is well specced but I’ll upgrade if it means getting a better latency

Thanks

The new Serato DJ Pro 64bit will utilize all of that ram that you have and processor compared to the old version of serato DJ which was could only utilize around 2gb ram and 32bit program, so yes your new flash Mac laptop will be appreciated by the new serato dj
DjSyndic8 11:31 AM - 13 July, 2018
Quote:

this is possible and it will work, but running a single ram stick wont be in dual channel compared to 2x8gb sticks in the 2 slots,

heres proof from the mac site discussions.apple.com

like I said don't pay any attention to sparky he knows nothing about Macs or windows all he does is TROLL threads.
John Calipari 1:46 PM - 13 July, 2018
Quote:
Hi all,

There is very little Geekbench gap between the late 2012 15" i7's and even the latest i7's

I run everything to max with no issues whatsoever but I put every effort into optimizing my Mac exclusively for Serato, Ableton, and some heavy Plug-Ins.
The Return of Dj Sparky 2:57 PM - 13 July, 2018
Haha very funny as I said pay no attention to this fool advising you to update your Mac, serato does not need 16gb of ram

And as mentioned by the previous dude there is very little difference between that i7 and and the new ones, putting a SSD in it would be the best thing you could do but that Mac should have no problem running sdj at lowest lattency so if you cannot do that there is something else wrong
novakone 3:26 PM - 13 July, 2018
I’ve got a 13” I7 not 15 do there is some difference in mine.

Can anyone else confirm wether 16GB makes a difference running SDJpro.
Aptidda 5:42 PM - 13 July, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

like I said don't pay any attention to sparky he knows nothing about Macs or windows all he does is TROLL threads.

Amen, Sparky brings zero value or substance to his own personal life and these threads.
The Return of Dj Sparky 6:09 PM - 13 July, 2018
So the 2 biggest retards on the forums dislike me, on no what ever will I do
Aptidda 6:33 PM - 13 July, 2018
Quote:

Suffer for all eternity you peon. You have now been assigned to the importance of "dead ant underneath my shoe" status (the lowest level of respect you can attain on the Serato forums).
The Return of Dj Sparky 6:55 PM - 13 July, 2018
Deluded as usual squeaky, the lowest level of respect you can get on these forums belongs to you
DjSyndic8 7:23 PM - 13 July, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

Suffer for all eternity you peon. You have now been assigned to the importance of "dead ant underneath my shoe" status (the lowest level of respect you can attain on the Serato forums).

just ignore him bro all a Troll wants is attention, treat him like a Ghost just ignore him he'll eventually fade away.
HK1200 5:54 PM - 14 July, 2018
I can run SDJ at minimum latency on an old dual core 3.0ghz Xeon windows 10 box with 4 gigs of ram and a 1tb 7200rpm HDD without issue. I would expect the OP should have no problems whatsoever on a 2012 i7 MBP, though I know jack about Macs. Perhaps a format and fresh OS install is in order before dropping thousands on a new computer, just in case.
DjSyndic8 4:09 AM - 15 July, 2018
Quote:
I run everything to max with no issues whatsoever but I put every effort into optimizing my Mac exclusively for Serato, Ableton, and some heavy Plug-Ins.

Nice one John Calipari I wish DJs with issues at least use serato optimization process first before they do anything else in most cases it will fix their issue,
novakone 10:14 AM - 15 July, 2018
MacBook is fresh install of Yosemite and completely optimised for Serato....
popnwave 6:40 PM - 16 July, 2018
Quote:

Easy up with the use of the word "retard" please, unless you're some sorta cave man/asshole, the word isn't cute, funny, or anything but ignorant these days.
YZ 7:13 PM - 16 July, 2018
Quote:

... and if I hear you tell just 1 more person to optimize their computer I'm going to kick a puppy.
Aptidda 8:41 PM - 16 July, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

Easy up with the use of the word "retard" please, unless you're some sorta cave man/asshole, the word isn't cute, funny, or anything but ignorant these days.

Slap! Amen!
HK1200 10:40 PM - 16 July, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

... and if I hear you tell just 1 more person to optimize their computer I'm going to kick a puppy.

Is fucktard still socially acceptable though?
popnwave 10:43 PM - 16 July, 2018
Quote:

When it applies, sure.
HK1200 11:05 PM - 16 July, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

When it applies, sure.

Haha, cool, just checking and not referring to anyone in particular. Call it market research, lol.
novakone 7:40 AM - 19 July, 2018
Update.
Tried to fit 16GB of RAM in one slot.
Appears the MacBook- possibly processor doesn’t like it and won’t boot. Get the no ram fitted beep on startup.

Gonna try and return it as faulty just incase and try another stick.

Failing that I may need to get a soldering iron out. Eurgh