DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Speaker advice?

Will08272 2:34 PM - 28 June, 2018
Hola serato family, looking to downgrade my setup as some life plan changes are abound, what would be a good all around speaker for my situation. 99% of gigs i do are small time, quick put together baby shower or house parties to provide context.

Looking to get a single powered cab, so i can just grab it, my controller, laptop and go. Only other thing would be a little umph, incase i get asked for a little more volume.

Based on little to no info, some assumptions i had would be probably a 15 unless there is a 12 that is on the beast side, price range between 500-950, if there is anything lower than that range that would qualify even better.

Thanks in advanced to any suggestions and advice.
Al Poulin 4:54 PM - 28 June, 2018
-Yamah DBR15 - nice mixer section and 7 year warranty included
-Yorkville PS12P goes nice and deep, but a little heavy and more expensive
-Bose F1 812 is also an excellent unit that is nice and compact and surprisingly capable
577er 6:54 PM - 28 June, 2018
Yamaha DBR or DXR for sure or Turbosound iX15.
dj_soo 7:07 PM - 28 June, 2018
Could look at the Yorkville EXM400.

It's kind of like a mini version of the db technologies 1208 where it's a single column array with a 10" sub, but the tops split apart for stereo sound.
Will08272 8:05 PM - 28 June, 2018
Thanks family for the suggestions, will definitely report back with whatever i decide to go with, again thanks.
pdidy 10:09 PM - 28 June, 2018
Quote:
Based on little to no info, some assumptions i had would be probably a 15 unless there is a 12 that is on the beast side, price range between 500-950, if there is anything lower than that range that would qualify even better.

there is no such thing as a 12" top in this price range that produces quality bass mimicking a small sub. You will need a 15" and there are no guarantees there either for good bass. If you would like a top guaranteed to provide quality bass, my current top pick is the RCF ART 745-A MK4 which I personally own. It can be had for about $1100ea (hookup price) and only weighs 41lbs.
Will08272 10:39 PM - 28 June, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

there is no such thing as a 12" top in this price range that produces quality bass mimicking a small sub. You will need a 15" and there are no guarantees there either for good bass. If you would like a top guaranteed to provide quality bass, my current top pick is the RCF ART 745-A MK4 which I personally own. It can be had for about $1100ea (hookup price) and only weighs 41lbs.

Thanks for the recommendation, a bit late on my part but more context from me would help i suppose. I currently use a Bose L1 Model 1 (Older Model), it has been for every i've done beyond more than what i needed, so i figure if there is a single speaker that can produce close to that, im aware that i will trade away some Bass because the bose has it's own sub, given that i have seen many people say there are way better offerings and for cheaper in small talk i've had with some people, the time to part with the bose has come.
Will08272 10:42 PM - 28 June, 2018
Annoying that there is no edit but hey 🤷🏽‍♂️, i have no problem going with a 15 if it checks all the boxes and now that i bought up what i currently own as well. If there is a 12 though that would match the bose great, if not a 15 even at the sacrifice of bass will be good. Also appreciate the responses.
dj_soo 11:49 PM - 28 June, 2018
what's wrong with just using your L1 for these gigs? Looks like it's all you really need...
Will08272 12:39 AM - 29 June, 2018
Quote:
what's wrong with just using your L1 for these gigs? Looks like it's all you really need...

Honestly it is for more convenience, i do about 2 or 3 gigs a month if that, currently the setup time and pretty much always needing a extra hand (stubborness on my part). Carrying just a speaker and my controller given the nature of my gigs is alot better than the current five pieces of stuff i have to bring. Also don't drive and getting bigger cars all the time for transport gets expensive over getting cheaper car services. And my current living situation i don't have my current equipment handy due to size where i could keep a single speaker always nearby.
dj_soo 3:06 AM - 29 June, 2018
really sounds like something like the Yorkville EXM400 or the db technologies ES 503 might be a more flexible system for you.
Taipanic 5:22 PM - 29 June, 2018
If you have good gain control and don't overdrive it the EV ZXa5 is still a beast of a 15 that can put out a lot of bass. It's a first generation amp so there is no limiting or DSP built in so you can kill the drivers if you push it too hard. Still not cheap but one speaker will cover most of the gigs you've described. I use one of mine as a DJ monitor - coupled to the floor it sounds like I have a sub at my booth.
pdidy 9:48 AM - 30 June, 2018
Quote:
If you have good gain control and don't overdrive it the EV ZXa5 is still a beast of a 15 that can put out a lot of bass. It's a first generation amp so there is no limiting or DSP built in so you can kill the drivers if you push it too hard. Still not cheap but one speaker will cover most of the gigs you've described. I use one of mine as a DJ monitor - coupled to the floor it sounds like I have a sub at my booth.

A high majority of users simply are not qualified to use EV ZXa5 without blowing it which is why I've personally stopped recommending it even though I'm the biggest fan of them.