Serato Video General Discussion

Talk about Serato Video and Video-SL.

Serato Video with Windows and Nvidea G-Sync

Fullerlove 4:25 PM - 25 June, 2018
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the Serato video side and was hoping someone could shed some light.

Lately I've been reading a lot about Apple's OS outperforming Windows when it comes to video DJing due to Window's Open SL. Mac just seem to run video well.

However, I honestly don't like Mac screens (gloss) and cannot justify buying a new one with their ridiculous price tag. Can also imagine many 'love' the touch bar and lack of USB and ethernet connections.

While Mix Emergency doesn't have a Windows version, would something like Serato benefit from a G Sync laptop such as an Alienware of Asus ROG. While the graphics cards are great on their own it's the G Sync that seem to help with the tearing.

Help and advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks everyone.
DJ Tecniq 5:13 PM - 25 June, 2018
There’s really no way to tell unless you purchase it and test it out. I’ve hesrd windows users having high spec video cards and still have issues.
Fullerlove 5:15 PM - 25 June, 2018
Quote:
There’s really no way to tell unless you purchase it and test it out. I’ve hesrd windows users having high spec video cards and still have issues.

Thank you for the reply. I suppose if it is the laptop screen that is G-Sync it won't make music difference when video is sent to external club monitors. There are some things that Windows thrashes Mac with, but very interested to find out why Mac holds it's colours with video.
Hermanator 3:49 PM - 27 June, 2018
As I learned the hard way while setting up Serato Video... Windows has a lot of configurable options for video (type of graphics card, driver versions, the bajillion settings for each one, integrated graphics clashing with dedicated graphics, types of video encoders/decoders and their settings). It's absolutely insane how much you can tweak with video on Windows. This is great for a platform where video is a primary product (3-D video like games)... so many options to maximize performance.

It's not an issue of Windows video not being able to hold its own, or else every major game publisher would be on Mac instead of PC. It's just that it requires more debugging across all the different configurations. Same reasons console games tend to launch with fewer bugs than PC games.

Serato just isn't putting a strong effort into Serato Video on PC, leaving it up to the users to figure it out. It doesn't help matters that Apple abandoned quicktime (which Serato seemed to be relying on).

I am curious to see if other dedicated VDJ software like Resolume has similar issues with Windows, or if it's just these DJ programs that struggle (probably due to it being an add-on and not a focal point).
DJ Marv the Maverick 3:33 PM - 25 July, 2018
I don't think Resolume has same issue. I am yet to see one visuals guy with a MacBook pro in the wild. The few I know all use Windows gigs that are gigantic with multiple video cards etc and they all seem happy.

I have one that does small events for me and even he has an Alienware laptop which he is absolutely delighted with for his visuals
Hermanator 4:27 PM - 25 July, 2018
high-end PC is definitely the way to go for hardware, I can't argue there.. its why I'm too stubborn to switch to Mac. I like my expandablr hard drive bays, ram, m2 ssds, 17" screen, cooling, and graphics card options.

Been doing pretty good the last few weeks playing 6 hour gigs with Serato Video on my Lenovo Thinkpad p71 laptop, using the hardware and Lav filter setup. I have one video restart per a night about 1-2 hours in, but its an instant close-reopen with an error dialog on my laptop (not projector).. I can live with it.. but hopefully Serato makes it even better.

May have to check out Resolume sometime.. visuals are pretty fun!!