Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

rane tvelve stops suddenly

Jätten 9:20 AM - 16 June, 2018
i have an issue that my rane tvelve controllers platter stops suddenly from time to time. which means that the music will stop also. im not touching it or anything.

im wondering if anyone else have had the same issue with rane tvelve or any other controller?

im trying to figure out if there is an error in serato DJ that is the issue or in rane tvelve or something that his happening in the signal inbetween the program and the controller (i.e. something with my computer or my usb connection that is the issue).
Chino 11:03 AM - 16 June, 2018
Quote:
im trying to figure out if there is an error in serato DJ that is the issue or in rane tvelve or something that his happening in the signal inbetween the program and the controller (i.e. something with my computer or my usb connection that is the issue).

What OS are you running? Have you installed the latest firmware updated from Rane?

You can try replacing the USB cable to see if that fixes the issue.
DJ Tecniq 5:50 AM - 17 June, 2018
I heard it goes into helicopter mode. There was actually a recall for the Rane 12 maybe yours is affected?
DJ Tecniq 5:55 AM - 17 June, 2018
Check out helicopter mode. Try to do some chirp flares you won’t have your fingers anymore...
www.facebook.com
HellNegative1 11:54 AM - 17 June, 2018
First gen 12's got recalled. Contact your retailer.
Dave-M 1:51 PM - 17 June, 2018
What he is describing isn't the thing the Twelves were recalled for. I'd contact Rane or your retailer and see what they can do.
DJ Tecniq 3:43 PM - 17 June, 2018
Doesn’t matter I’d still send that shit back if it’s a first gen deck. Would prob have a better working deck anyway.
raedonquan 7:30 PM - 17 June, 2018
Quote:
i have an issue that my rane tvelve controllers platter stops suddenly from time to time. which means that the music will stop also. im not touching it or anything.

does this happen randomly or a specfic song... and what are you using to connect the rane 12 to a USB hub?

and your computer specs be specific
Cnspeace 7:08 PM - 24 December, 2018
I am having this issue more now with the newest update.
Chino 7:25 PM - 24 December, 2018
Quote:
I am having this issue more now with the newest update.

Damn. That sucks. I wonder if it's a conflicting MIDI signal or a defective USB cable? The 72 has A LOT going on with regards to MIDI. I had some MIDI conflicts with my 72/Denon 3900 combo.

I recently bought the Technics SLDZ MKII mod & it works GREAT with the Rane 72. I would recommend calling inMusic Brand directly for a repair/replacement.
Cnspeace 8:00 PM - 24 December, 2018
Quote:
I wonder if it's a conflicting MIDI signal or a defective USB cable? The 72 has A LOT going on with regards to MIDI

True. It's seems like this. I have other cables but not consistently. However, I would think a cable would cause a disconnect, but not a stop. I'm getting maybe more stops now than discos. I have had discos from jump, and they have also been worse since the update. Also have seen a pitch drop after an instant doubles. Very slight, but I can see it. If I let the tracks keep playing the doubled track will be further ahead of the original.
DJ Intrigue 7:53 PM - 26 December, 2018
Quote:

im wondering if anyone else have had the same issue with rane tvelve or any other controller?

The Rane 12's have a built in douschebag monitoring system. Any time some working class d bag touches a 12 it senses it after a few minutes and comes to a stop.

It was designed that way, deal with it.
Cnspeace 8:33 PM - 26 December, 2018
Quote:
The Rane 12's have a built in douschebag monitoring system. Any time some working class d bag touches a 12 it senses it after a few minutes and comes to a stop.

It was designed that way, deal with it.

Time spent a trash DJ could have been practicing ^^
RiceCube 8:53 AM - 4 February, 2019
I'm having the same issue with the 12s just randomly stopping. Going to call customer service and see if I can get these replaced. It doesn't happen often, maybe after playing for a couple hours, but I can't trust these now for gigs since I'm scared the platters will stop on me. Happened at a tailgate I was doing a few months ago.
HellNegative1 6:52 PM - 5 February, 2019
Werent they showing off an updated version of the 12 at NAMM?
Chino 11:24 PM - 6 February, 2019
Quote:
I'm having the same issue with the 12s just randomly stopping. Going to call customer service and see if I can get these replaced. It doesn't happen often, maybe after playing for a couple hours, but I can't trust these now for gigs since I'm scared the platters will stop on me. Happened at a tailgate I was doing a few months ago.

^ That is one of the main reasons I havent bought the Rane 12s. I need to trust and depend on the gear that I use at gigs. The current lack of solid quality control in the DJ industry (in general) is sad!!
raedonquan 4:11 AM - 21 February, 2019
Quote:
Quote:

^ That is one of the main reasons I havent bought the Rane 12s. I need to trust and depend on the gear that I use at gigs. The current lack of solid quality control in the DJ industry (in general) is sad!!

Random stopping would be some kind of midi/hid bus pause as the 12 is always sending midi messages out..

How is your 12s connected to your computer

As for the 12 haven’t had any problems operation wise... and have the very first batch

Only strange thing is the 33 to 45 operation when doing tone play with the pitch fader.. other than that which is not a big deal..
DEMAC 11:38 AM - 14 September, 2019
My 12s doing the same thing!! Smh i replaced the 72 did it at a gig totally embarrassing
DJ Tecniq 3:38 PM - 14 September, 2019
Phase - 1 Rane 12 - 0
DEMAC 2:59 AM - 15 September, 2019
Huh.. wat that mean
DEMAC 3:16 AM - 15 September, 2019
It jus cut off is it the 12s ? I replaced the 72 already?
Cnspeace 5:09 PM - 18 September, 2019
Ive been having the same issue for a a while. I never replaced my mixer, so its interesting you say you did. I had one 12 serviced, but either 12 is suspect to just stop playing or disconnect. Sometimes it will stop, but not disconnect. The stop button will light up and the music stops. Sometimes the device will disconnect without turning off. Ill have to select which deck i want it to be to re-gain control.
DJ Tecniq 7:36 AM - 19 September, 2019
Quote:
Ive been having the same issue for a a while. I never replaced my mixer, so its interesting you say you did. I had one 12 serviced, but either 12 is suspect to just stop playing or disconnect. Sometimes it will stop, but not disconnect. The stop button will light up and the music stops. Sometimes the device will disconnect without turning off. Ill have to select which deck i want it to be to re-gain control.
Get in touch with Rane/InMusic and switch it out sounds like a fucking nightmare man.
RiceCube 7:53 AM - 19 September, 2019
I reached out to Rane and they just stopped responding to my emails =[
DEMAC 12:00 PM - 19 September, 2019
Dang . Ya man im sending this sh..t back
But what i found is you have better luck plugging all the usbs into the computer instead of the hub on the mixer, i run firewire to my hard drive
Them usbs they send is trash
DJ Justy Just 4:30 PM - 29 December, 2022
Was there any update to this problem, I've been having this problem for years but strangely not when I first purchased them. I'm trying to find out where the issue is using MIDI debugging but I can't debug if Serato is running and that's the only time it happens.

For me it's one of the following which I think is the issue:

1. Serato updates over the years.
2. Rane control panel / driver (Windows) updates over the years.
3. USB Cables (replaced all 3 of mine but still does it)
4. Rane 72 firmware updates over the years.
5. Windows updates over the years (I've personally seen Serato beatgrids move between Windows updates)
5. Laptop too slow (but my specs are high).

I have had 3 issues in total which all seem related:

1. Both 12s randomly stop by themselves.
2. 72 Mixer restarted itself mid set (happened for the first time after upgrading to Serato 3.0)
3. Both 12s randomly disconnect from Serato and the deck selection buttons flash as if no deck is selected). Serato keeps playing but no control until I select the deck again.

Rane or Serato cannot find the issue and my units have been inspected by InMusic but could not reproduce the fault, but I can reproduce this everyday just by leaving them running using autoplay in Serato.

I'm not giving up until I fix the problem because even if the motor firmware is updated I don't think this will fix it.

Let me know if anyone is still living with this?
HellNegative1 7:45 PM - 29 December, 2022
Quote:
Was there any update to this problem, I've been having this problem for years but strangely not when I first purchased them. I'm trying to find out where the issue is using MIDI debugging but I can't debug if Serato is running and that's the only time it happens.

For me it's one of the following which I think is the issue:

1. Serato updates over the years.
2. Rane control panel / driver (Windows) updates over the years.
3. USB Cables (replaced all 3 of mine but still does it)
4. Rane 72 firmware updates over the years.
5. Windows updates over the years (I've personally seen Serato beatgrids move between Windows updates)
5. Laptop too slow (but my specs are high).

I have had 3 issues in total which all seem related:

1. Both 12s randomly stop by themselves.
2. 72 Mixer restarted itself mid set (happened for the first time after upgrading to Serato 3.0)
3. Both 12s randomly disconnect from Serato and the deck selection buttons flash as if no deck is selected). Serato keeps playing but no control until I select the deck again.

Rane or Serato cannot find the issue and my units have been inspected by InMusic but could not reproduce the fault, but I can reproduce this everyday just by leaving them running using autoplay in Serato.

I'm not giving up until I fix the problem because even if the motor firmware is updated I don't think this will fix it.

Let me know if anyone is still living with this?

What's the temperature of the bottom of your units when this happens?
DJ Justy Just 8:10 PM - 29 December, 2022
Not really checked how hot it gets but I've seen it happen within the first 20 minutes of powering them on so I'd guess fairly warm.

Sometimes it's within 20 minutes and sometimes it could take 4 to 6 hours of constant spinning on autoplay before it happens.

Do you think it could be an overheat protection kicking in then? Never thought about that.

I'm checking out midi ox with a loopback midi port to see if I can catch a midi message but so far Serato refused to connect to the virtual midi port. Would be useful if Serato had a debug mode, the logs are good but not verbose enough.
DJ Tecniq 5:22 AM - 30 December, 2022
Quote:
That’s why i rock with Pioneer. Rane won’t ever get my money and never been a fan of their mixers anyway.
DJ Justy Just 10:16 AM - 30 December, 2022
Quote:
Quote:
That’s why i rock with Pioneer. Rane won’t ever get my money and never been a fan of their mixers anyway.

I used to be the same but I do love the mixer it's just the 12s which are a bit fiddly.

Got to admit the nexus looks good by way out of my price range especially for a youtube dj like myself.

Just hope this issue can be fixed with software and not hardware replacement.