Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

macOS 10.14 Mojave . . who's coming with me?

John Calipari 11:08 AM - 6 June, 2018
Mojave? It's that "DARK MODE" though!!! It looks GORGEOUS!!!
DJ Yagga 7:21 PM - 6 June, 2018
Quote:
Mojave? It's that "DARK MODE" though!!! It looks GORGEOUS!!!

That dark mode is indeed beautiful !!!

I'm already running it on my Macbook Pro with Serato DJ Pro . . . the only problem I encountered is having to re-install my Pioneer DJM-S9 firmware. It's running flawlessly on macOS 10.14 Mojave.
DJMIYAGI 11:07 PM - 6 June, 2018
I'm still on El Capitan and Yosemite. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
HighTopFade 6:53 AM - 7 June, 2018
Very brave. Taking one for the team.
John Calipari 11:00 AM - 7 June, 2018
Quote:

Of all the Dev Betas to final Releases I've gone through since Mt. Lion, EL Cap was the least efficient, most sluggish of them all. If I could only use 10.11 or older, I'd go 10.10 Yosemite.
Futuretek 11:44 AM - 7 June, 2018
Wow... brave indeed! Was going to wait until at least one of the later public betas to dive in!
John Calipari 1:53 PM - 7 June, 2018
Quote:
Wow... brave indeed! Was going to wait until at least one of the later public betas to dive in!

Apple's Dev Betas have been tight the last few generations so I have very little concern there. I was resigned to not migrating to their new OS update as HS's APFS was my biggest want, but then they threw in this DARK MODE . . . and I love the look of it.

I'd wager that actual resource handling differences between HS and Moj are very little & mostly cosmetic. Certainly not as technically radical as EL Cap to Sierra or Sierra to HS.
DJMIYAGI 4:29 PM - 7 June, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

Of all the Dev Betas to final Releases I've gone through since Mt. Lion, EL Cap was the least efficient, most sluggish of them all. If I could only use 10.11 or older, I'd go 10.10 Yosemite.

I don't love it. I upgraded from Yosemite because Serato said it was no longer "supported". Probably going to roll back until Yosemite no longer works.
John Calipari 5:17 PM - 7 June, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I don't love it. I upgraded from Yosemite because Serato said it was no longer "supported". Probably going to roll back until Yosemite no longer works.

I'd roll forward to Sierra and try it out for a few days. I predict you would stick with it if not migrate wholesale to High Sierra if you have an SSD as your System drive.
Joe Fresh 7:20 PM - 7 June, 2018
I wasn't too impressed with the features for Mojave, but I'll admit that Dark Mode looks good to me. Of course, Serato DJ Pro rocks Dark Mode 24/7 already lol

Might as well say it now and try to get ahead of people who upgrade without checking and then come on the forums to complain that it doesn't work - don't upgrade to Mojave on the laptop you use for DJing until the Serato team gives it the official compatibility thumbs-up. Test it on a separate partition, or a backup laptop or non-DJing laptop if you want. Or just wait it out.
DJMIYAGI 7:32 PM - 7 June, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I'd roll forward to Sierra and try it out for a few days. I predict you would stick with it if not migrate wholesale to High Sierra if you have an SSD as your System drive.

I might do that. I have two internal drives in my Mac. The SSD has El Cap and the HDD still has Yosemite. Might try Sierra and if I don't like it, then I can roll back to Yosemite.
novakone 11:54 AM - 8 June, 2018
Does Sierra run better than Yosemite for SDJ PRO?
Running a MacBook Pro 13” 2012 I7
8GB RAM with an SSD.

Anyone know wether Sierra would be more fluid for me?
Thanks
John Calipari 12:41 PM - 8 June, 2018
Quote:
Does Sierra run better than Yosemite for SDJ PRO?
Running a MacBook Pro 13” 2012 I7
8GB RAM with an SSD.

Anyone know wether Sierra would be more fluid for me?
Thanks

IMHO, even though you have an SSD, I'd say Yosemite will generally remain your best OS option, maybe even Mt. Lion.

But when SDJ is factored in, choose the oldest version of SDJ that meets your needs then choose the oldest version of OSX (minus EL Cap) since 2012 that your chosen SDJ version is compatible with. At least that would be my approach.
hip hop dan 3:16 AM - 5 July, 2018
I had to rollback to high Sierra on this one. Couldn’t get my Roland 505 to connect and could only get my pioneer sb2 to connect if a power source was also connected. Denon box wouldn’t connect either. Dark mode was very nice to use but unfortunately no dice for the beta on this so far.
John Calipari 11:23 AM - 5 July, 2018
I've noticed quite a few negatives thus far.

It is noticeable sluggish vs. High Sierra. Takes everything a few moments longer to render on the screen. Go into Dashboard or Safari Favorites and watch as seconds click by while all the ICONS properly render themselves. Note that this is even with SPOTLIGHT, SIRI, Quicklook, and just about every other superfluous plug-in/extension disabled.

System Security seems to have gotten even more heavy-handed than they already were. Mojave is flagging down everything. I mean EVERYTHING that is not from their APP store.

I've had a few minor APPS not be able to run such as Beatport Pro APP. I am wondering if Apple has finally followed through on their promise to do away with 32-Bit support altogether.

But . . . . the stability seems to be there and . .

That Dark Mode is even more breathtaking than I expected. It truly is a beautiful UI. So much so that I live with these quirks rather them give up Dark Mode.

My general gripe is that Dark Mode could have easily been implemented as a point update to High Sierra which would have retained snappy responsiveness yet added the fresh look. This implies that Apple is using Dark Mode to force anyone wanting it to migrate to Mojave when it becomes a Public Release.

so . .

This is way early in the Beta life of Mojave so I'd expect things to tighten up, it's just that this is the most performance sluggish initial beta Apple has released in some time
CMOS 11:25 PM - 5 July, 2018
I had to move my Serato buffer up a notch on Mojave, was getting some dropouts.

The system itself seems to run hotter on the CPU in Mojave.

Other than some dropouts on the lowest buffer setting which i believe is more due to Mojave being a bit of a hog than anything Serato based.....SDJ Pro with the S9 working without issues here.

Clean install not an upgrade.
John Calipari 11:12 AM - 6 July, 2018
Quote:
I had to move my Serato buffer up a notch on Mojave, was getting some dropouts.

The system itself seems to run hotter on the CPU in Mojave.
Clean install not an upgrade.

Mine was clean install as well. Now that you mention it, I also noticed the internal fans working more frequently . . . and this is just running Safari . . . with 2 other external fans aimed at both the bottom and sides of a 2015 15" Mid DG.

Just last night, nothing else running but Safari, starting a download of a Plug-in from Eventide. I was getting long Beachballs just waiting for the download prompt to pop.

This is also the longest I've seen Apple go without a follow-up update after a early Beta release. They usually send out updates in rapid frequency within the first several months. It's been weeks since I downloaded this last update.
djarsenal 2:51 PM - 28 September, 2018
Updating everything now right before the weekend lol will keep you posted...
TurtleFaceBrownNoser 3:39 PM - 28 September, 2018
I'm already there! It's all about "Dark Mode". Makes my studio look even better!
Mike Sinclair 8:59 PM - 28 September, 2018
I didn't get the message asking to enable microphone access... and it does NOT show Serato in the preferences (Mac). Am I going to have audio issues? I can't find a way to enable microphone access.
Carbon the Element 1:19 AM - 29 September, 2018
The only problem I'm having is that Serato DJ no longer stops the screensaver from activating. I'm thinking of writing an Applescript to stop the screensaver once Serato DJ is running and reactivating it when it has quit.

Anyone else with a similar problem?
djcoma1200 1:41 AM - 29 September, 2018
Quote:
The only problem I'm having is that Serato DJ no longer stops the screensaver from activating. I'm thinking of writing an Applescript to stop the screensaver once Serato DJ is running and reactivating it when it has quit.

Anyone else with a similar problem?

Haven't made the jump to 10.14 yet, but there is a free app in the App Store called "Amphetamine" that will keep your Mac from sleeping and prevent the screensaver from running. You can set it to activate when certain apps are running.
Carbon the Element 1:48 AM - 29 September, 2018
Haven't made the jump to 10.14 yet, but there is a free app in the App Store called "Amphetamine" that will keep your Mac from sleeping and prevent the screensaver from running. You can set it to activate when certain apps are running.

I have Caffeine (which I prefer) but I've never needed to activate it with Serato DJ ever. It used to (itself) prevent the screensaver from activating - which made sense. Now it doesn't. I'm not sure how to tell them (Serato).
djcoma1200 2:08 AM - 29 September, 2018
Ya I was just recommending that as an workaround for now. BTW Caffeine doesn't appear to work anymore in Mojave. See here:
roaringapps.com

Because Caffeine no longer works, I'm guessing that the Serato issue is because of a change in Mojave. They have yet to support Mojave, chances are they have already fixed this issue and the fix will come when support for Mojave is announced and the next version is released.

Just in case they are unaware, you can make a report here:
support.serato.com
DJMIYAGI 3:51 PM - 29 September, 2018
Quote:
The only problem I'm having is that Serato DJ no longer stops the screensaver from activating.

Why not just disable the screensaver altogether?
CalebGrayson 7:40 PM - 29 September, 2018
i can't install 2.05
it failed. says i need administrator privileges.
(and yes, i am the only user and the admin priv box is checked)
Carbon the Element 8:09 PM - 29 September, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
The only problem I'm having is that Serato DJ no longer stops the screensaver from activating.

Why not just disable the screensaver altogether?

Because my laptop is not just used for gigging. I also use it for work. Sensitive documents etc. When I get up I instinctively manually turn on the screen saver from the hot corners... else, if I'm away for 1 minute - no more - screensaver. Why? Password lock.
RR437T 10:35 PM - 29 September, 2018
Quote:
I'm already there! It's all about "Dark Mode". Makes my studio look even better!

Is it as good as invisible mode on your Rane 72?
Carbon the Element 1:45 PM - 30 September, 2018
New twist. Caffeine does not stop the screensaver either. Back to the Applescript!
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 12:51 AM - 2 October, 2018
Hi Carbon the Element,

Quote:

Try this:

1. Open System Preferences
2. Choose Security & Privacy
3. Choose the Privacy tab, then choose Accessibility
4. Click on 'Click the lock to make changes.' and enter your user log-in details to make a change
5. Under 'Allow the apps below to control your computer', click the Plus icon, locate Serato DJ Pro and check the box next to it.

Does that resolve this issue for you? It works for me here.

Cheers,
Michael.
DJEarthquake 7:41 PM - 6 October, 2018
Does anyone know if it works with the DDJ SZ ? got a gig tonight and contemplating walking with my Mixer Incase things get sticky
Mr. Goodkat 9:10 AM - 7 October, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

TurtleFaceBrownNoser 3:19 PM - 8 October, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You bet! Vegas mode and invisible mode are my two favorite "Rane 72 Modes".

;-)
dj zaza 6:29 PM - 8 October, 2018
I know Vegas mode and I know how to activate it, but how does the invisible mode work?
TurtleFaceBrownNoser 6:30 PM - 8 October, 2018
Quote:
I know Vegas mode and I know how to activate it, but how does the invisible mode work?

idk I cant seem to find my mixer since putting it into invisible
DJMIYAGI 7:41 PM - 8 October, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

idk I cant seem to find my mixer since putting it into invisible

You had one job....
djcrap 1:12 PM - 9 October, 2018
any body tried mojave with a MacBook Pro mid 2012 please report back!
or share your adventurous findings on jumping to mojave
John Calipari 11:53 AM - 18 October, 2018
Quote:
MacBook Pro mid 2012

If it's the 2012 13", I would advise not to even pursue it
djcrap 1:25 PM - 22 October, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
MacBook Pro mid 2012

If it's the 2012 13", I would advise not to even pursue it

It’s mid 2012 15”
Chaboo357 12:52 PM - 23 October, 2018
Went to Mojave yesterday and no longer can use load button on Pioneer DJM S9. Unable to load song on MacBook Pro 2012 using Serato shortcut feature to virtual decks. I's also noticing Serato Video is lagging.. Any help please.
TurtleFaceBrownNoser 3:21 PM - 23 October, 2018
Quote:
Went to Mojave yesterday and no longer can use load button on Pioneer DJM S9. Unable to load song on MacBook Pro 2012 using Serato shortcut feature to virtual decks. I's also noticing Serato Video is lagging.. Any help please.

It's the S9 firmware causing the issue. Have another buddy with the same issue. Might be a good time to sell the S9 and cop a 72.
Chaboo357 6:12 PM - 23 October, 2018
That dark mode is indeed beautiful !!!

I'm already running it on my Macbook Pro with Serato DJ Pro . . . the only problem I encountered is having to re-install my Pioneer DJM-S9 firmware. It's running flawlessly on macOS 10.14 Mojave.

Can you tell me what problems you were having to prompt you to re-installing the Pioneer DJM S-9 firmware
TurtleFaceBrownNoser 6:23 PM - 23 October, 2018
I don't have any issues I'm running a Rane 72, the crème de la crème Haute Monde DJ Mixer.

One of my pals has an S9 and was mentioning similar issues when updating. Glad to see you got it sorted !
DMV Dj D-Lux 2:18 PM - 29 October, 2018
So I just transferred all of my tracks to my new MacBook Pro 2018 (I7 Processor/16G Ram/1TB Hard Drive) with Mojave. I'm going to plug in my Rane 72 and My Rane twelves. I hope I don't have any issues.....Anybody have the same or similar setup and, are having any issues?
TurtleFaceBrownNoser 3:20 PM - 29 October, 2018
Quote:
So I just transferred all of my tracks to my new MacBook Pro 2018 (I7 Processor/16G Ram/1TB Hard Drive) with Mojave. I'm going to plug in my Rane 72 and My Rane twelves. I hope I don't have any issues.....Anybody have the same or similar setup and, are having any issues?

I have about the same setup. Issues? Of course not, however I went with 64 GB of Ram cuz I'm ballin.
John Calipari 12:19 PM - 31 October, 2018
Quote:
I have about the same setup. Issues? Of course not, however I went with 64 GB of Ram cuz I'm ballin.

Which Macbook Pro has 64GB RAM?
novakone 1:10 PM - 31 October, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

I have about the same setup. Issues? Of course not, however I went with 64 GB of Ram cuz I'm bellend.

Fixed
YZ 2:25 PM - 31 October, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

Custom, it's on another level. Not a lot of us have access to such tech, he does.
DJMIYAGI 5:05 PM - 31 October, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

None. Max RAM is 32
Jeff Robertson 3:41 PM - 2 November, 2018
Going to upgrade my laptop today. Little worried about Serato and my Rane and Pioneer drivers (use both decks depending on how much gear I want to lug around). Hope it works!
John Calipari 1:02 PM - 5 November, 2018
Quote:
Going to upgrade my laptop today. Little worried about Serato and my Rane and Pioneer drivers (use both decks depending on how much gear I want to lug around). Hope it works!

To Mojave? Make sure you do a Time Capsule Back-up, but you should have no issues
rickyj 2:30 AM - 13 November, 2018
I did the upgrade and now my turntables are not working. Nothing happens in relative mode. HELP
Ric R 3:53 PM - 13 November, 2018
I had the same issue and it was due to clicking on where it gives u the options of Turntables , cdjs or custom. Even if it show turntables highlighted click on it anyway. This is under the audio tab when hooked into your mixer.
rickyj 3:02 AM - 14 November, 2018
I’ll check that out when I get a chance. Thanks
DJ Tecniq 3:32 AM - 14 November, 2018
You’re alone on this one...Mojave ain’t nothing special 🤷🏼‍♂️
Ric R 3:50 AM - 14 November, 2018
I agree im reverting back unfortunetly i have to wipe the hard drive and reinstall and do a time machine.
rickyj 11:34 PM - 14 November, 2018
Quote:
I had the same issue and it was due to clicking on where it gives u the options of Turntables , cdjs or custom. Even if it show turntables highlighted click on it anyway. This is under the audio tab when hooked into your mixer.

Thanks for the info cuz, it works again
Ric R 12:45 AM - 15 November, 2018
Cool bro this stuff can get real stupid with these updates.
Daz411 8:15 PM - 15 November, 2018
Quote:
Does anyone know if it works with the DDJ SZ ? got a gig tonight and contemplating walking with my Mixer Incase things get sticky

Using 10.14.1 with Serato Pro 2.0.5 and no issues with the SZ and SZ2.
gjerrus 5:17 AM - 3 December, 2018
The Brotherhood is strong up in here.. shout out to all the DJ's showing mad love, looking out for the next man. Im here for this. Really cool man.

Putting together a flawless security net for NYE which led me here. Bought a late 2012 MacBook Pro (already on Mojave) for a back up computer, to travel up to SF for a club gig. Ive read that Pioneers S9 & DDJ SX3, as well as Serato DJ Pro are all supporting Mojave now. My original plan was to downgrade the back up to High Sierra and wait out the bugs to upgrade.

Gonna continue reading through the forums, blogs, and internet for the next few hours then make a decision & take action this week.

But is anyone having issues w Mojave playing on any of the mixers or controllers?? Any opinions, warnings, advice?
Thanks in advance
isaiahfromtexas 1:01 AM - 4 December, 2018
ive done two gigs with it so far, my first one it crashed mid set. second one, I switched to the chroma cable and had no issues.

so far ive noticed that none of my samples ever get saved so I have to reload them each time I launch SDJPro.

also noted that some of my tracks are missing.

I hate having to go in and click the turntables even tho its already selected.

and ive also had to reopen serato dj a few times because it either took too long to connect to my s9, or wasn't reading my library.

hopefully these will be fixed soon.
John Calipari 1:20 PM - 6 December, 2018
Quote:
The Brotherhood is strong up in here.. shout out to all the DJ's showing mad love, looking out for the next man. Im here for this. Really cool man.

Putting together a flawless security net for NYE which led me here. Bought a late 2012 MacBook Pro (already on Mojave) for a back up computer, to travel up to SF for a club gig. Ive read that Pioneers S9 & DDJ SX3, as well as Serato DJ Pro are all supporting Mojave now. My original plan was to downgrade the back up to High Sierra and wait out the bugs to upgrade.

Gonna continue reading through the forums, blogs, and internet for the next few hours then make a decision & take action this week.

But is anyone having issues w Mojave playing on any of the mixers or controllers?? Any opinions, warnings, advice?
Thanks in advance

Is the System Drive formatted for HPFS+ or APFS? Just Curious
Joe Fresh 5:12 PM - 6 December, 2018
I've been on Mojave ever since Serato announced official support.
I've used it on DVS systems (Rane SL boxes and DJM mixers via Club Kit) and controllers (DDJ-SX, DDJ-SZ).
I use a late-2016 15" MacBook Pro w/ Touch Bar, with an APFS formatted drive

No problems for me.
gjerrus 8:27 PM - 10 December, 2018
Quote:
ive done two gigs with it so far, my first one it crashed mid set. second one, I switched to the chroma cable and had no issues.

so far ive noticed that none of my samples ever get saved so I have to reload them each time I launch SDJPro.

also noted that some of my tracks are missing.

I hate having to go in and click the turntables even tho its already selected.

and ive also had to reopen serato dj a few times because it either took too long to connect to my s9, or wasn't reading my library.

hopefully these will be fixed soon.

What up isaiah, Hey what computer (specs) are you using?
gjerrus 8:34 PM - 10 December, 2018

What up John, Im not sure. How exactly can I find out? If I had to assume, I would probably say HPFS just because the format seems to be classic Mac as I use the computer.
John Calipari 12:25 PM - 15 February, 2019
Quote:

What up John, Im not sure. How exactly can I find out? If I had to assume, I would probably say HPFS just because the format seems to be classic Mac as I use the computer.

Late reply, very late, but Drive formats show in the Disk Utility program
gjerrus 8:18 PM - 2 April, 2019
Quote:
Quote:

Late reply, very late, but Drive formats show in the Disk Utility program

Appreciate you reaching out my G. Hope all is good in the world of Serato & all your dealings 🙏🏾
DJ Marv the Maverick 2:37 PM - 3 May, 2019
Updated to Mojave.

So far so good.

Serato DJ Pro 2.1.1

Mixemergency 3.3.0

Mid 2017 MBP 15" with Touch bar.

I did not do a clean install. Just the regular update.
MengRen 2:45 PM - 3 May, 2019
Quote:
Updated to Mojave.

So far so good.

Serato DJ Pro 2.1.1

Mixemergency 3.3.0

I plan completely the same configuration. I'm just waiting for adapters from usb-c to usb.
Terrence Stokes 6:01 PM - 3 May, 2019
Quote:
Updated to Mojave.

So far so good.

Serato DJ Pro 2.1.1

Mixemergency 3.3.0

Is Mixemergency 3.3 out?
DJ Marv the Maverick 4:42 AM - 4 May, 2019
Quote:
Is Mixemergency 3.3 out?

www.inklen.com
Terrence Stokes 4:49 AM - 4 May, 2019
Quote:
<div class="quote pl pr pt pb bg-l" readability="7">

Is Mixemergency 3.3 out?

www.inklen.com
Thanx
John Calipari 11:35 AM - 6 May, 2019
Quote:
Updated to Mojave.

So far so good.

Serato DJ Pro 2.1.1

Mixemergency 3.3.0

Dark Mode was the Mojave's hook for me. In-fact, unless the next macOS does something extraordinary I can't live without, Mojave may be the last macOS I use, on this Macbook anyway.
DJ Marv the Maverick 6:58 PM - 6 May, 2019
Quote:
Dark Mode was the Mojave's hook for me.

👍🏿
PopRoXxX 3:57 PM - 7 May, 2019
Quote:
Dark Mode was the Mojave's hook for me. In-fact, unless the next macOS does something extraordinary I can't live without, Mojave may be the last macOS I use, on this Macbook anyway.

Same!