DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Serato newbie set-up advice

Fabulous cheesey chi 9:48 PM - 5 June, 2018
Dear all apologies if this has been asked a thousand times before, but...

I'm looking to try out Serato, this is strictly home playing about - I love the idea of instantly having doubles of any record I fancy, so looking for advice on set up please. Is the Akai AMX any good? Or am I better off going for a Denon DS1?

A bit more detail, I've got a crusty old Gemini mixer - which is fine but basic, so the Akai looks pretty and like it has a few playful elements on it - plus the fact you can use it to trigger cue points. My worry is its a bit of a toy that seemed to get a buzz when it came out, but nobody seems to speak of it any more - do they last and work well? Will it stand up to lots of scratching (are the faders replaceable?).

My head is saying get the sensible Denon box, my heart says oh pretty new cute mixer with lights on - what would you lot recommend please?

And sorry one more question once connected via either piece of kit am I unable to play vinyl without unplugging?

I'd really appreciate any input on this dilemma, thank you
Fabulous cheesey chi 1:27 PM - 7 June, 2018
Thanks for all your opinions...
577er 2:01 AM - 8 June, 2018
Unless you want to upgrade your crusty old Gemini mixer I’d get the AMX it’s super portable and does everything the denon box does and more. You can only play real vinyl through the AMX when it’s plugged into a laptop.
RR437T 3:37 AM - 8 June, 2018
I would get the Akai and a Novation Launchpad.
Fabulous cheesey chi 1:25 PM - 8 June, 2018
So the Akai gets some thumbs up

Thanks for the advice
Logisticalstyles 3:42 PM - 8 June, 2018
Quote:
I would get the Akai and a Novation Launchpad

I have this combo.

You can't play vinyl on the AMX unless it's connected to the laptop with Serato DJ open and set to THRU mode.

The mini innofader is replaceable but you really shouldn't need to. I've had mine over three years now and it still works. You may have to calibrate the crossfader every once in a while.

You can't really trigger cue points with it. I haven't tried but maybe you can remap the CUE button to trigger just one cue point but I'm not positive about it since I haven tried it.

I use my AMX on a regular basis.