Websites Discussion

Talk about our websites Serato.com and Whitelabel.net
To talk about a Serato product such as Scratch Live or ITCH please find the appropriate forum area.

How did you get your dj name?

DJ Mellow 10:01 PM - 9 July, 2009
I've thought of many creative dj names but I can't seem to find one that's not taken. How did you come up with your dj name?
HurricaneDJ 3:34 AM - 14 July, 2009
Allways cool when your "crew" or mentor Dubbs you a name... ;-)

remixhunter.com
MrStone1 5:49 PM - 18 July, 2009
creativity. if its taken ur not thinking hard enough!!

maybe u were born wit it
DJ Six 4 7:29 AM - 8 August, 2009
Quote:
Allways cool when your "crew" or mentor Dubbs you a name... ;-)

remixhunter.com

yeah my buddy who taught me how to DJ said I can't pick my name so he gave me mine....lol
Dennisthemenace 6:26 AM - 12 August, 2009
dennis the menace was just a name i grew up with so at fist it was dj dennis the menace but then i just dropped to dj and dennis the menace works out nicely
Animal5150 5:30 PM - 13 August, 2009
I actually go by DJ Decker.....2 reasons......first my bro Ray Deck died 2 years ago suddenly after a change in medications from a fucked up doctor....and I used to have to be Decker from the A-Team when we would play it in school (wow I totally dated myself...haha)
DeeJay Devil On Ice 12:04 PM - 27 August, 2009
I was in the navy and didnt know what to call myself. I had a friend that used to gamble on everything to do with sports and one day he didnt have anyhing to gamble on like football pool or anything so he cut out the names of the horses in a race. I drew a name out of the hat, the horses name was Devil On Ice. When I drew the name I told everyone in my dept. what I had and there was a muslim guy that said, hey that should be your DJ name. When I asked why he said well....your white, so your the devil..... but your kinda kool so....on ice. It stuck ever since. DeeJay Devil On Ice.
DjPolarCa 7:23 PM - 29 August, 2009
well from canada, so thats kinda obvious, but i was gonna go with dj polar bair, but thats is juat a little to close to home. my sister when we were kids, she could not say the "bl" part of my name (Blair). so she ended up just calling me bair. and it kind stuck. But i really don't want everyone calling me bair. only my mom still does, used to bother me in jr. high and a little bit in high school, but now its what she says when she is talking to me.
Layer 8 11:10 PM - 2 October, 2009
My day job is in the technology arena and I troubleshoot networks for a living. There are 7 layers to the OSI model. Everything relating to the Internet and Networks, falls into 1 of these 7 layers. I figured I'd be Layer 8.
Pete Moss 3:13 PM - 4 November, 2009
I worked at a radio station and was told to find a better on air name than my own (Pete Matesevac). Later that day, I had been thinking about it; and I went into Home Depot and saw a huge stack of bags of 'Peat Moss'. The rest is history.
eric rosario 7:54 PM - 7 November, 2009
i grew up watching starsky and hutch. the first time i saw grandmaster flash, charlie chase and all other dj's i new i wanted to be call dj hutch.....anyway it rhymes with to much and golden touch. and everyone that i know calls me by that name.....so it goes like this hutchutch2muchgot the golden touch...and in case you sneeze you will say hutchoo and then i'll say bless you........that's how i came to having that name...holla
The Grandmaster Jay DJMC 8:11 AM - 9 November, 2009
The streets of New York gave me my name in the early days of Hip Hop. The streets upgraded my name as my skills grew and my popularity grew. Promoters and people who bought my mixtapes (real cassettes folks) added more to my name until I got smart and patented and copyrighted it i 1984. My dj teacher, Grandmaster Flash, was my blue print and he always told me: Never name yourself. Let the people who love your work give you the title. I evolved from Jay The DJ to Master Jay to The Original Master Jay (after the RUN DMC name theft in 1983) to Grandmaster Jay (after winning the 1985 KISS 96 MasterMix Tournament) to The Legendary Grandmaster Jay as I am booked today worldwide. Slapping DJ in front or your name is an insult to the true artform and doesn't automatically make you a dj. Technology has caught up with a lot of our skills (Thanx Serato) but skills have not advanced since 2001. The question should be who gave you your name?

The Legendary Grandmaster Jay
Tru Skool/Universal
Dj Casey 3:34 PM - 10 November, 2009
I've played on a lot of sound systems in nyc. Starting in 1986 with my cousin soundsystem called Black Hawk int'l then moving on to the 1990 with a sound called Explosion nuclear. my three other sound systems was black magic, blackcreation and finally The big bad King Kustom. all these great sound systems of the reggae dancehall culture made me who i am today. Dj casey! I got the name from my mentor a jamaican artist by the name K.C. jockey. He's my favorite artist.
dunkle 12:16 PM - 11 November, 2009
I play records under the name Johnny Five Mikes. The Johnny Five part coming from the movie Short Circut & Five Microphones being the highest rating given out by The Source magazine. I changed the spelling of the last part from Mics to Mikes simply because Mike is my real first name. Add it all together and you got Johnny Five Mikes.
Plasmacarnifex 6:37 PM - 15 November, 2009
If your stuck in your bedroom with two turntables, speakers, and a mixer dreaming about being about one of the greats then you do not deserve a name. Hence my status as nameless.
DJ BULL BANGER 12:45 AM - 3 December, 2009
when i would battle djs would see the stuff i was doing and said damn hes danger so thats what i stayed with since the mid 80`s
DJ POLARIS 10:58 AM - 3 December, 2009
Peace Grandmaster......Nice Post (Informative)

I was Originally named "wild" for 2 main reasons...I was wild or uncontrollable and I was into wild style (be it Graf and/or the movie at that time). My aunt named me that!

I was then called "half-dead"

I was then called J-Bone

I was then named "o.g." and finally "dj o.g."

I changed my name (government) to ghani but I kept the dj part that i had earned in the strets rockin parties at sunset, club z (DJ Charlie D...what it do?), various houses and backyards and the parks (mc millian....memorial....mccormick, etc...)

I then started calling myself DJ Polaris because of my affinity to astronomy and my love for black folks. The North Star (Polaris) led many enslaved black men and women to a partial freedom so I choose that name to honor my people and the struggle!

The rest is the rest!
DJ Mental 7:22 PM - 10 December, 2009
I remember people used to use the word "crazy" to describe someone's skills. Then I thought Crazy is tied to having a mental problems...DJ Mental was born. And the Mrs is a psychologist.
oscar_klang 11:58 AM - 17 December, 2009
Well, I´m selecting in a reggaesoundsystem called Million Vibes. Many of us have names after our physical apparence, like Skinny (thin) and Skyscraper (tall). My mentor gave me my name, Belly because I had a bit of a belly. I don´t have as much fat today but the name stuck. Kind of like Fat mike in NOFX who used to be fat a long time ago.
titan1213 2:18 AM - 6 November, 2013
Vagabond Superstar. At first it was a header addition for another name I went under, and with time people addressed me as [VS] more and more, so I dropped part of the name and stayed with [Vagabond Superstar].
12:42 AM, 7 Nov 2013
DJ Mic attached a file: 1385527_10151962080714717_114874601_n.jpg
View· Permalink
Monograph Media 7:00 AM - 14 November, 2013
I just call myself "Copper Top". It's a bit of an in joke as I have a heart condition and am on pacemaker number four. This invariably leads to Energizer Bunny comments when people find out. I usually respond by saying I run on Duracell ("the copper top battery"). Not terribly cool or exciting, but there you go.
mixxinmel 12:04 AM - 17 November, 2013
I was given my name by my peers, Came home one day from work and there was a postit on my Door Dj Mixxin Mel and it stuck!!! that was over 35 years ago lol.
DJDeadlock! 12:54 PM - 3 December, 2013
When I first started DJ'ing I would play what the audience wanted...after a while (not long) I got fed up with this and would play my "indulgences", after one particularly "fruity" evening's mixing, one of the girls on the dancefloor came up to me and said "Wow...you're like 'DJ Deadlock'!...Nuff said!
DJ D RICH 2:43 PM - 19 January, 2014
My friends Would Always Call Me Dirty The Way I Would Play Basketball And Then I Just Shortened My Last Name And DJ D RICH Was Born
DJ Enc3phalon 2:05 AM - 23 January, 2014
Started djing in a club to pay for my college tuition fees. Back then was only given warm up sessions, so after my slot was over you would usually find me with a book or scribbling notes in the manager's office. That was when I was tagged dj Encephalon which loosely means brain. It's actually the part of the central nervous system that has all the higher nervous centres connected to the brain. It is this part of the central nervous system that triggers our creativity. Shoot, I'm boring you all. Because of my habit of bringing science into every conversation I was also tagged Johnny 5. For the younger generation, johnny 5 was the name of a robot from a movie called short circuit. didn't like that name one bit so I stuck with DJ Encephalon and then changed the e to a 3 to make this balding dj a little more trendy. Unfortunately sometimes if some of regulars pop in, they start chanting johnny 5 just to make me cringe and then the others sort of join in without knowing why they're chanting . God, I hate that name.
DJ Lede 4:41 AM - 23 January, 2014
So confession, I just graduated college with a broadcast journalism degree, and before I get my first on-air reporter gig, I'll be waiting tables and learning how to DJ. Hopefully by the time I start working as a reporter (we make terrible money at first) I'll be able to make some money on the side playing bars and hopefully a few clubs...but I digress.

Lede is a journalism term for the "introductory section of a news story that is intended to entice the reader to read the full story." Basically something catchy to get the person to read the story you worked all night writing, or in my case watch the whole story you spent all night shooting. I want someone who listens to my sets to be entertained enough to stick around for the entire performance.
perish 3:19 AM - 12 February, 2014
I was a graffiti writer first. The name stuck.
DJ Blaiti 4:12 PM - 21 March, 2014
I got mine because I'm half Haitian and half African-American... So Black + Haitian = Blaiti
ed funk 12:48 AM - 28 March, 2014
My grandfathers name was Eduard Funk, and one of my middle name therefore is also Eduard. So it's an hommage to my late grandfather.
Oldschooldj 3:00 PM - 28 March, 2014
I love old school, Hip Hop...Disco...Funk...House...Classic Rock, etc. Hence the name DJ Replay.
escottx 3:01 PM - 20 April, 2014
For years I could never find a name I liked. Then when I was watching one of the Riddick movies for the 5th or 6th time it came to me.... The Lord Marshal.
4:47 PM, 22 Aug 2014
bobSCIENCE attached a file: bobSCIENCE Abnormality.aiff
Download· Permalink
bobSCIENCE 4:47 PM - 22 August, 2014
While I respect the notion of someone else giving a DJ his/her name, I also believe that creating a persona can be a real help as a performer. You can get out of your own head when you perform and play a role that psychologically allows you to do things you'd never do otherwise. Plus, it's good marketing; plus, in my case, it's easily spelled and pronounced as opposed to my real name.

Another angle - bands don't wait for others to name them. Record labels, radio shows, sound systems, podcasts, social media platforms, MCs, graf writers, singers, b-boys, most DJs (I would guess), same deal. Not to mention products (everything from soap to the name of your latest album/song).

I dig that there's a kind of hierarchy to DJing in hip hop, and I think it's absolutely valid. In other words, I would NEVER stick myself with the title "Grandmaster", "Wizard", etc., that's asking for trouble. But I still want to try, as I get better and get out of the woodshed, to give the public a name to remember me by, something that's groovy and means something to me.

I took my name from a storyline I came up with many, many years ago involving the origin of a rapper whose name is Red Atom Dot - like Dr. Octagon, Humpty, etc., he's a persona. Red Atom Dot came to be because of a tragic yet happy accident in a science experiment in which the scientist tried to shrink himself down to sub-atomic-particle size. Instead, a sub-atomic particle from the scientist became human-sized, looked around, and realized he had sh*t to say about becoming human and the world around him, and he had a knack for lyrics. Red Atom Dot is born.

The scientist's name was Bob (my name), and when Red Atom Dot raps, he has a producer/DJ. Hence the name bobSCIENCE. The whole thing started with a few 4-track recordings and a mythology like a comic book. I told the story to a friend, and he started calling me "Bob Science", or just "Science", and it spread.
ninjagaijin 10:03 AM - 14 October, 2020
Quote:
The streets of New York gave me my name in the early days of Hip Hop. The streets upgraded my name as my skills grew and my popularity grew. Promoters and people who bought my mixtapes (real cassettes folks) added more to my name until I got smart and patented and copyrighted it i 1984. My dj teacher, Grandmaster Flash, was my blue print and he always told me: Never name yourself. Let the people who love your work give you the title. I evolved from Jay The DJ to Master Jay to The Original Master Jay (after the RUN DMC name theft in 1983) to Grandmaster Jay (after winning the 1985 KISS 96 MasterMix Tournament) to The Legendary Grandmaster Jay as I am booked today worldwide. Slapping DJ in front or your name is an insult to the true artform and doesn't automatically make you a dj. Technology has caught up with a lot of our skills (Thanx Serato) but skills have not advanced since 2001. The question should be who gave you your name?

The Legendary Grandmaster Jay
Tru Skool/Universal

LOL www.facebook.com
fake ass fuck
ninjagaijin 10:23 AM - 14 October, 2020