DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

macOS Mojave...

popnwave 7:13 PM - 4 June, 2018
Of course, no real mention of the underlying guts of the OS, including audio. Video gets a little mention due to the updates to METAL which make iOS to macOS scaling easier for devs, wonder if this will bring a spark to our waveform displays? One can dream!

Next up, beta + early adopters crying when they upgrade too soon.
Logisticalstyles 7:55 PM - 4 June, 2018
Quote:
Next up, beta + early adopters crying when they upgrade too soon.

When I saw the title of this thread that's what I was expecting to see.
popnwave 8:35 PM - 4 June, 2018
Lots of hardware finally dropping off.

Quote:

While macOS High Sierra was available for some machines manufactured as early as 2009, macOS Mojave is largely limited to 2012 or newer machines, with the exception of some Mac Pro models. Here's a full list:
MacBook (Early 2015 or newer)
MacBook Air (Mid 2012 or newer)
MacBook Pro (Mid 2012 or newer)
Mac mini (Late 2012 or newer)
iMac (Late 2012 or newer)
iMac Pro (2017)
Mac Pro (Late 2013, plus mid 2010 and mid 2012 models with recommended Metal-capable GPU)
As you can see, compared to High Sierra, the update drops support for the older plastic MacBooks, and MacBook Pro, Air, mini, and iMac models from 2009, 2010, and 2011.

dj_soo 11:11 PM - 4 June, 2018
cool - my laptop is in the cutoff zone. If it's still alive, I'll be looking forward to upgrading to the new OS about 4 years after the release after all the kinks have been worked out (only upgraded to el capitan this year).
WildcardX 12:18 PM - 6 June, 2018
Quote:
While macOS High Sierra was available for some machines manufactured as early as 2009, macOS Mojave is largely limited to 2012 or newer machines, with the exception of some Mac Pro models. Here's a full list:
MacBook (Early 2015 or newer)
MacBook Air (Mid 2012 or newer)
MacBook Pro (Mid 2012 or newer)
Mac mini (Late 2012 or newer)
iMac (Late 2012 or newer)
iMac Pro (2017)
Mac Pro (Late 2013, plus mid 2010 and mid 2012 models with recommended Metal-capable GPU)
As you can see, compared to High Sierra, the update drops support for the older plastic MacBooks, and MacBook Pro, Air, mini, and iMac models from 2009, 2010, and 2011.

I find it ironic that the 2010 landed up in the list yet the 2011 like it was just skipped over.
popnwave 5:58 PM - 6 June, 2018
Quote:
I find it ironic that the 2010 landed up in the list yet the 2011 like it was just skipped over.

I think a lot of it is the move away from OpenGL.

arstechnica.com
Aptidda 10:07 PM - 8 June, 2018
phew, my mac mini just made the cut!
dameon B 4:15 AM - 10 June, 2018
Quote:
cool - my laptop is in the cutoff zone. If it's still alive, I'll be looking forward to upgrading to the new OS about 4 years after the release after all the kinks have been worked out (only upgraded to el capitan this year).

My 2011 MBP in the cutoff zone too. Figured they may stop making security updates for Yosemite which I was still using so I decided to update to High Sierra before it’s no longer available as an update in the Mac App Store and especially since it’s now officially supported by Serato. I’m definitely hoping this laptop lasts me at least another 5 years for sure. Upgraded it to 8GB Ram and a 1TB SSD as a means of future proofing 2 years ago only to now see that Apple views this as a legacy machine lol
popnwave 6:03 PM - 11 June, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

My 2011 MBP in the cutoff zone too. Figured they may stop making security updates for Yosemite which I was still using so I decided to update to High Sierra before it’s no longer available as an update in the Mac App Store and especially since it’s now officially supported by Serato. I’m definitely hoping this laptop lasts me at least another 5 years for sure. Upgraded it to 8GB Ram and a 1TB SSD as a means of future proofing 2 years ago only to now see that Apple views this as a legacy machine lol

I will probably make the jump to Mojave from Yosemite when I upgrade my current SSD from 256 to 1TB this fall. The dark mode stuff is very appealing for day to day use.
CMOS 11:17 PM - 11 June, 2018
Dark Mode iTunes is soooo purty.
Robbie O 1:34 AM - 12 June, 2018
😢😢😢 MacBook Pro Mid 2011
messenger 6:55 AM - 21 September, 2018
Uhhh MIMIMI my 2011 is in the dead zone, no its not! ;)

i used this in the past, and it worked great, just read to the end ;)
*snip*
dosdude1.com

macOS Mojave Patcher Tool for Unsupported Macs
*This utility is provided to anyone free of charge, however if you'd like to donate, you can do so here:

Requirements:

- Early-2008 or newer Mac Pro, iMac, or MacBook Pro:
- MacPro3,1
- MacPro4,1
- iMac8,1
- iMac9,1
- iMac10,x
- iMac11,x
- iMac12,x
- MacBookPro4,1
- MacBookPro5,x
- MacBookPro6,x
- MacBookPro7,1
- MacBookPro8,x

- Late-2008 or newer MacBook Air or Aluminum Unibody MacBook:
- MacBookAir2,1
- MacBookAir3,x
- MacBookAir4,x
- MacBook5,1

- Early-2009 or newer Mac Mini or white MacBook:
- Macmini3,1
- Macmini4,1
- Macmini5,x
- MacBook5,2
- MacBook6,1
- MacBook7,1

- Early-2008 or newer Xserve:
- Xserve2,1
- Xserve3,1
*snap*

by the way:

i use a MacPro 3.1 8 Core with High Sierra and 32GB of ram to calculate BPM and Key.

It has a synced filesystem (Resilio Sync),
wich syncs my itunes library to my 2011 mpb and my 2016 mbp,
the only thing i would worry is the fact that oder cpus may lack command sets which the newer Serato versions require.
djamofficial1 2:10 PM - 28 October, 2018
I have a MacBook Pro mid 2012 and I wanna upgrade so badly. will I have any problems with Serato dj pro
popnwave 12:56 AM - 29 October, 2018
Back your stuff and up and restore if it it stinks.
trinsolutionsinc 4:09 PM - 9 November, 2018
did you have any issues with Mojave using serato dj pro
popnwave 4:21 PM - 9 November, 2018
Quote:
did you have any issues with Mojave using serato dj pro

I am opting to stay away on my mid 2012 for now. When I have to replace it, and get something newer than 2014 I'll probably switch.
juicemaster33 10:15 PM - 9 November, 2018
Hi guys I was mixing fine on sdj Pro latest version and I have a pioneer s9 mixer with technics 1200 mk2 and the Mac is mbp late 2012 i7 750 ssd drive 8 gb of ram. I was mixing and scratching and all of a sudden it started to freeze for a few seconds then it did it again few moments later and when I looked up the requirements it states you have to be running OS X 10.11 so I upgraded it to high Sierra I haven’t really chance to fully test it but I just it will be ok I was on Yosemite before so I hope I done the right thing can you let me know thanks dj juicy