Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Dell's New XPS 15 (2018) will SMOKE ANY Macbook Pro!

musiclee 3:24 PM - 31 May, 2018
Yep, sorry all your Mac FanBoyz, It's true!!!

The new Dell XPS 15 packs 6 cores and will SMOKE any Macbook Pro!

My question, can SDJ take advantage of the extra 2 cores ???
YZ 3:37 PM - 31 May, 2018
Fake news.
musiclee 3:53 PM - 31 May, 2018
No, Not Fake News!!

Hexa Core is Here!!
At least for PC's ;-)
raedonquan 4:30 PM - 31 May, 2018
will definately smoke the macbook... but us video guys like mixemergency... so mac wins...hehehe
musiclee 4:40 PM - 31 May, 2018
but, WWDC is just days away, so sit tight and cross your fingers!!!!
raedonquan 4:46 PM - 31 May, 2018
Quote:

yeah hoping its time for a new mac for me the 2016 and 2017 not interested... hope they loose that touch bar and put some real processing power and forgo lighter is better routine and super thinness
musiclee 4:48 PM - 31 May, 2018
bring back the "standard" USB ports, lol
popnwave 6:27 PM - 31 May, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

yeah hoping its time for a new mac for me the 2016 and 2017 not interested... hope they loose that touch bar and put some real processing power and forgo lighter is better routine and super thinness

All the rumors point to no hardware announcements until fall. This is all OS related stuff.

The new XPS is nice, still wouldn't use it for SDJ Pro though.
05spoof 3:23 AM - 1 June, 2018
www.bhphotovideo.com

Desktop performance at a very very very good price!
ill-legal ? 7:57 AM - 1 June, 2018
Doesn't matter how many cores the processor has, when Windows crashes in the middle of your set, that Dell might as well be a boat anchor.

Besides, is anyone on here pushing the limits of their MacBook Pro with simple DVS software? In over a decade of use I've NEVER had a crash. I can see the benefit for producers who are going nuts with all sorts of VST's and whatnot, but unless Dell was paying me to use one of their laptops, I'll stick to the stability I'm accustomed to on my MacBook Pro.
05spoof 11:02 AM - 1 June, 2018
Mine can’t handle 4 tracks and barely will do 2 at the buffer settings I like.

The link I posted “was” going for $899... the deal probably ended but a pro with those same spec’s will cost nearly three times that and you can’t even add more memory or put in a larger drive down the road.
pdidy 9:19 AM - 2 June, 2018
if this were a Virtual DJ forum or a gaming forum im sure some of us would actually care but its not so eeeh. cool laptop doe.
Gio Alex 2:35 PM - 2 June, 2018
To the OP you're focusing on specs and forgetting about the OS. MacOs is way more stable. This is why people use macs more for djing. I see ton of these Windows threads with some issue with serato. Not to say that their aren't mac ones but the mac ones are based on people moving on to the latest OS too fast.
eddie3911 4:19 PM - 2 June, 2018
#FakeNews
musiclee 7:18 PM - 4 June, 2018
well, maybe Apple will "catch up" next year with the 6 core MBP??
WWDC is over
musiclee 7:20 PM - 4 June, 2018
well at least apple now has Mimoji
raedonquan 2:54 AM - 18 July, 2018
i7 6 cores are here now for the new late 2018 macbook pros 13 and 15
... but the price ouch...
DJ Tecniq 5:50 AM - 18 July, 2018
Cool laptop brah but MacOS shits all over Windows...
DjSyndic8 10:27 AM - 18 July, 2018
Quote:

sorry to disappoint its not the machine its the operating system and OSX is way more stable then windows, the best thing you can do with your machine is Hackintosh it then we you can brag about it.
mixgoonie 1:09 PM - 18 July, 2018
I've installed some hackintosh and except having a very good knowledge, it should not be safer as choice than Windows.

In Europe in the past 3 years, i've did not see ANY Apple product and we had a good party ;) without downtime.

It is more a matter of taste.

See also that video, apple products are not so perfect :Watchwww.youtube.com compared to Windows product (on hardware basis)
Gio Alex 5:54 PM - 18 July, 2018
Quote:
Cool laptop brah but MacOS shits all over Windows...

THIS
BoogieMan34950 7:01 PM - 18 July, 2018
2018 I9 Mac youtu.be
mixgoonie 12:46 PM - 19 July, 2018
For such a price, this is a shame....
makkuso 1:03 PM - 19 July, 2018
Good luck with i9 heating issues... Mac design just can't handle i9 temperatures...
YZ 4:29 PM - 19 July, 2018
Quote:
Good luck with i9 heating issues... Mac design just can't handle i9 temperatures...

just like windows can't handle serato. heating issues (more fake news).
BoogieMan34950 5:23 PM - 19 July, 2018
At the end of the day, all that matters is that it works for you!
makkuso 5:44 PM - 19 July, 2018
No issues with my setup... w10 with all updates available, pro 2.0.3, i5 (7gen)/16gb/m2 ssd/gtx1050ti. Everything runs smooth as butter, lowest latency. Except practice mode distortion, i'm fine with it, vlc on background fixes it... Worked with sb2/sx2/sz...

Maybe someday might try that apple thingie, maybe not... Everyone uses what they want... I'm good, hope u r too with yours...

About i9... Apple knows theyre going to have a lot of heat problems with it... Even i7's get hot enough to mess mac performance.. More cores, more heat... New macs are in very similar design/poor cooling, i'll bet it's no good...
DjSyndic8 7:43 PM - 19 July, 2018
Quote:

Easy fix buy an inexpensive laptop cooler, the new mac is sacrificing heat issues with keeping the thin and apple design, I wouldnt spend that much on a mac but the mac fanboys will buy anything apple puts out every year thats why Apple feel like they can get away with it.
Aptidda 11:52 PM - 19 July, 2018
Anything Dell is pure garbage and meant for working on documents at the office in a cubicle. Certainly no place in the studio or with any type of audio/video software. My new Mac will blow it out of the water no questions asked.
BoogieMan34950 3:34 PM - 20 July, 2018
Apple as fans are returning their new MacBook Pros. mspoweruser.com
17tr2 4:44 PM - 20 July, 2018
Quote:
My new Mac will blow it out of the water no questions asked.

If we stop asking questions, will you promise to stop talking?
DjSyndic8 7:36 PM - 20 July, 2018
Quote:
Apple as fans are returning their new MacBook Pros. mspoweruser.com

makes you wonder did anyone from apple ever tested the New Mac on any other processor demanding software besides iTunes before they made the decision to release it???
17tr2 9:01 PM - 20 July, 2018
Apple is the new Microsoft.
DJ Tecniq 1:39 AM - 21 July, 2018
I love Apple but I’ll admit they failed epically with the new 2018 model. They weren’t thinking clearly.
pdidy 2:11 AM - 23 July, 2018
ZERO FUCKS GIVEN about new macs when olds macs are proven to be superior to any Windows pc with Serato........this has been common knowledge for 10+ years which explains why mac vs pc debates no longer exist in the professional Dj world.
DJ Marv the Maverick 10:55 AM - 23 July, 2018
Quote:
ZERO FUCKS GIVEN about new macs when olds macs are proven to be superior to any Windows pc with Serato........this has been common knowledge for 10+ years which explains why mac vs pc debates no longer exist in the professional Dj world.

Pdidy is back lol.

Perhaps you can tame apt
smastrandrikos 1:06 PM - 23 July, 2018
Quote:

Even if it has 40 cores, still runs Windows OS. Another one born to die. Period.
17tr2 3:58 PM - 23 July, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

Even if it has 40 cores, still runs Windows OS. Another one born to die. Period.

Maybe. But the only other option you have for Serato is Mac. That's even worse. I guess we can hope for a Linux version.
DjSyndic8 5:44 PM - 23 July, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

+1

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Maybe. But the only other option you have for Serato is Mac. That's even worse. I guess we can hope for a Linux version.

I had the realization that you need a Mac for DJing long time ago and I use windows for everything else.
John Calipari 6:02 PM - 23 July, 2018
Every Media App worth running runs most efficiently on Mac . . Live 10, Pro Tools, Traktor, Adobe etc, etc. Serato is not alone in recognizing that macOS is more efficient at running Media Creation Apps.

That said, Windows PC's flat-out runs circles around Macs when it comes to CAD, Games, Hacker type Apps, and any software where is mathematical computation is intensive. Microsoft has had an edge in Floating Point computation since forever.
17tr2 8:18 PM - 23 July, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

+1

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I had the realization that you need a Mac for DJing long time ago and I use windows for everything else.

To be honest, I've tried both and could use either one. I used to prefer Mac, but now I like Windows better. Most problems with Serato have to do with Serato, and not Mac or PC. As much as I like to use Serato, its the most problematic piece of software I think I've ever used. It never works the same way twice.
popnwave 3:42 PM - 24 July, 2018
The i9 just isn't THIN friendly. However, the chip being supported means we could see some PC gaming laptops that use them as hackintosh projects now.
YZ 3:50 PM - 24 July, 2018
Any application written and developed for Windows will run more efficiently on Windows.
Any application written and developed for OSX will run more efficiently on OSX.

Serato was developed for OSX.

What is all this "will smoke" nonsense? Smoke what, doing what? Like running Serato on Windows vs running Serato on OSX? Ok, smoke how? Application startup time? Analyzing?Please provide evidence, test scenarios or some sort of content backing your theory for these unfulfilling meaningless comments?
mixgoonie 3:53 PM - 24 July, 2018
They run fine on both and even on Hackingtoshs ;)

Never had any issue and it has been tested on 2 macbook and 8 pc's...
popnwave 4:06 PM - 24 July, 2018
Quote:
Any application written and developed for Windows will run more efficiently on Windows.
Any application written and developed for OSX will run more efficiently on OSX.

Serato was developed for OSX.

What is all this "will smoke" nonsense? Smoke what, doing what? Like running Serato on Windows vs running Serato on OSX? Ok, smoke how? Application startup time? Analyzing?Please provide evidence, test scenarios or some sort of content backing your theory for these unfulfilling meaningless comments?

At this point it's like comparing Android and iOS. YES you can get phones that are spec'd higher for Android, but time and time again when it comes to benchmarks the gatekeeping Apple does on its hardware and software tends to make it work "better".

While this does not always apply, you can take gaming or video rendering (a la Premiere) as example. It certainly handles audio, as a whole, consistently enough that when you buy an Apple MBP, iMac or Mac Pro off the shelf you know that the shit will work.
popnwave 4:11 PM - 24 July, 2018
Quote:
They run fine on both and even on Hackingtoshs ;)

That's the thing though, you can't just buy -anything- and have it work as a hackintosh, you have to pic specific hardware to know it will place nice with macOS.
J.J. 5:57 PM - 24 July, 2018
www.macrumors.com

It looks like they fixed MacBook Pro Throttling issue.

"Following extensive performance testing under numerous workloads, we've identified that there is a missing digital key in the firmware that impacts the thermal management system and could drive clock speeds down under heavy thermal loads on the new MacBook Pro.

A bug fix is included in today's macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 Supplemental Update and is recommended. We apologize to any customer who has experienced less than optimal performance on their new systems.

Customers can expect the new 15-inch MacBook Pro to be up to 70% faster, and the 13-inch MacBook Pro with Touch Bar to be up to 2X faster, as shown in the performance results on our website."
YZ 6:28 PM - 24 July, 2018
Quote:

Fixed, anything else you need to add?
popnwave 6:40 PM - 24 July, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

Fixed, anything else you need to add?

No benchmarks yet to back that up. I love Apple hardware but get that dong outta your mouth.
smastrandrikos 12:18 PM - 25 July, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

you are kidding! OS X & MacOS are the most complete and robust OS I've used. Linux is very good for experimenting.
17tr2 3:38 PM - 25 July, 2018
"Linux is very good for experimenting."

You're right about that. If I didn't have Linux, I wouldn't be able to experiment with Mac and Windows.
John Calipari 6:19 PM - 25 July, 2018
Interesting that Ableton Live Look-a-Like Bitwig does a Linux version. Yeah, DAW's aren't relevant here, but nice that one reputable Music Software Company goes out on a limb.

Chromebooks will likely have industry-wide Music Software Support before Linux.