DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Need experienced / authoritative opinions on ideal Macbook for running serato

DJ Matty Stiles 8:52 AM - 31 May, 2018
If you know your stuff, please feel free to share your opinion.

According to Mojaxx (a guy who I trust), the best available on the market is a 2015 model (Watchwww.youtube.com).

Let me clarify, I know many laptops will get the job done. I am talking about the IDEAL laptop for running serato. Can anyone out there clarify that it is indeed the 2015 model and not a later model?
Logisticalstyles 12:11 PM - 31 May, 2018
The 2015 are the last MBP to have the traditional USB ports. after that you will have to find adapters to connect your gear. Not all adapters are created equal so there will be some trial and error when finding the right one.

Also anything after the 2015 will not be upgradable. The RAM is soldered to the motherboard. Whatever you order from Apple is what you are stuck with. The same thing goes for the hard drive.

I had a 2016 MBP when they first came out with the Touchbar and I ended up selling it within 6 months and reverted back to my late 2013 MBP.

The 2015 MBP is going to be your best option. Some people will say the models with the CD drive are best since you can swap it out and add another hard drive, but those models are pretty old now. I think the 2012 model was the last to come with CD drive.
DJ Matty Stiles 2:24 PM - 31 May, 2018
Thanks brother! Thank god I held onto my mid-2015 MPB retina (2.5 GHz Intel Core i7). Still running Yosemite.
thorissr 4:51 PM - 1 June, 2018
Quote:
Thanks brother! Thank god I held onto my mid-2015 MPB retina (2.5 GHz Intel Core i7). Still running Yosemite.

I’m with you... l hung on to my mid 2014 same specs as yours..mainly slower read write times. So far it’s been nothing but rock solid running Low Sierra.
DJ Marv the Maverick 8:47 AM - 3 June, 2018
Using the mid 17 MBP with touch bar. Runs serato like a champ.
I bounce between using a hub and direct usb c cable between gigs.

With the direct USB C cable if you disconnect/pull the cable, the mac will crash needing a forced power down.
This frequently happens to me when packing up after a gig if i forget to shut down before pulling the cable, or if i power down the controller/mixer before shutting down the mac.

Using a usb c dongle or hub is the only work around till apple fixes it. And im not even gonna hold my breath on there being a fix. Touch bar mac is 2 years since release.

Hardware that are class complaint do not have this issue eg Pioneer WeGo3.

Roland 808, Rane 62 have this issue
DJ Skitz (USA) 10:34 PM - 3 June, 2018
Quote:
Also anything after the 2015 will not be upgradable. The RAM is soldered to the motherboard. Whatever you order from Apple is what you are stuck with. The same thing goes for the hard drive.

The RAM on the 2015 MBP is not actually upgradable. The ram is soldered just like the ones that came after. However, you can still upgrade the SSD.

I have a 2015 with fully upgraded memory and it's been pretty rock solid.
DJ G-Rebel 4:01 PM - 4 June, 2018
Macbook Pro 2012 13" for 400€s at ebay
2 SSDs no DVD
OS X Yosemite
16GB RAM
Scratch Live 2.5
Serato DJ Pro 2.0.3

It runs so smooth. No problems at all.
Aptidda 4:11 PM - 4 June, 2018
the hands down most "ideal" setup is a Rane 72 with a late 2012 Mac Mini i7 16GB Ram with Fusion Drive. Set Serato to auto start with power up and you literally require no screen whatsoever, just use the Rane 72 Screen. Laptops are for losers.