DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Scratch DJs Turntablists

novakone 2:26 PM - 18 May, 2018
Curious how many are on the forum?
How many hours a day do you practice?

How many of you manage to work it into a standard club set?
deezlee 9:20 PM - 18 May, 2018
this might sound like a ridiculous suggestion but check out the master of the mix show or whatever it was called.
for starters it's entertaining but as dumb as the show was, the challenges often had the djs doing some club related mixing task but they were all trying to show their scratching skills so they put a lot of effort into scratching during their "club" sets.
yeah i know that's like least roots old school suggestion ever but they were in the lane that you asked about so it might interest you.
Logisticalstyles 6:32 PM - 21 May, 2018
I try to get in an hour of practice a day. I rarely incorporate it into my sets when playing out. Usually I'm focusing on the mixes and song selection.
novakone 6:40 PM - 21 May, 2018
Quote:
I try to get in an hour of practice a day. I rarely incorporate it into my sets when playing out. Usually I'm focusing on the mixes and song selection.

Same here. 1 hour a day, with family/work life etc that’s about all I can allow.
How long have you been DJin?
Logisticalstyles 2:19 PM - 23 May, 2018
Started DJing in '89. Didn't think about battling until about '94 and got more serious about it in '98 with all of the Guitar Center, Mars Music, and Kool Mix battles. When those dried up I stopped focusing on battles until about 2013 when DMC started having regionals in my city.
Aptidda 4:56 PM - 23 May, 2018
I cut it up whenever I can, up to an hour per day on a good day. Wicka wicka!
dj_soo 1:46 AM - 24 May, 2018
I try about an hour a day, but I go through phases. Only really been taking it a bit more seriously in the last couple years tho.
YZ 2:53 PM - 24 May, 2018
I don't DJ gig's much anymore unless I'm doing someone a favor mainly because today's music is a burning dumpster fire of trash... plus I have a 9-5 and don't feel like competing with DJ PushPlayJay and his $75 gig fee/will dj for beer tactics. That said, I scratch a lot.
novakone 2:02 PM - 25 May, 2018
Quote:
I don't DJ gig's much anymore unless I'm doing someone a favor mainly because today's music is a burning dumpster fire of trash... plus I have a 9-5 and don't feel like competing with DJ PushPlayJay and his $75 gig fee/will dj for beer tactics. That said, I scratch a lot.

Haha. That made me laugh.
Come on man there’s tons of good artists around these days. Just harder to find, have to dig a little deeper than 10+ years ago.

You a hip hop head?
novakone 2:03 PM - 25 May, 2018
Seems like an hour a day is the average. Gotta be a good enough amount to keep the hands tidy..
Maybe learn to odd new trick...
Sadly gone are the days when I could spend 5 hours+ just cuttin..