DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

New DJ - Needs All The Tips

somwaba 10:46 PM - 14 May, 2018
Hey guys,

I've just started DJing and I'm still organizing my music, getting used to my controller (Serato SB2) and creating a lot of dope transitions and mixes with songs.

I'm finding that a lot of my music isn't the best quality and I wish I had a version of the song that had a longer intro. Can you guys suggest any good DJ Pools that can provide this?

Also, any other information on equipment that every DJ should have (aside form controller and laptop) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Aptidda 11:33 PM - 14 May, 2018
Hello New DJ Guy, try using the "Search Function" in the forums for the DJ Pool question, there is numerous exhaustive threads covering this information.

As far as DJ Equipment, what specific questions do you have? What are your intentions as a DJ?
somwaba 11:51 PM - 14 May, 2018
Quote:
Hello New DJ Guy, try using the "Search Function" in the forums for the DJ Pool question, there is numerous exhaustive threads covering this information.

As far as DJ Equipment, what specific questions do you have? What are your intentions as a DJ?

Hey! For equipment, I'm curious if I will be expected to have certain plugins on me other than my controller. My intentions with djing is to eventually play at festivals, but for now, I just want to get gigs at bars to test my skills and sets and ability to read a crowd.

So basically I'm very new at this.
Aptidda 11:57 PM - 14 May, 2018
First recommendation is to upgrade to Serato DJ Pro if you haven't already. From there just practice blending and mixing all genres of music. Also take inspiration from the DJ's spinning already at the local watering holes and see what they are playing.

I would start small with some house parties and things of that nature, it's also good to meet up with others you know that are dj'ing.

And practice, practice, practice.
17tr2 8:42 PM - 15 May, 2018
Quote:
Hey guys,

I've just started DJing and I'm still organizing my music, getting used to my controller (Serato SB2) and creating a lot of dope transitions and mixes with songs.

I'm finding that a lot of my music isn't the best quality and I wish I had a version of the song that had a longer intro. Can you guys suggest any good DJ Pools that can provide this?

Also, any other information on equipment that every DJ should have (aside form controller and laptop) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

What type of files are you working with? If MP3's, what bit rate (320, 256, 128etc..).
17tr2 8:53 PM - 15 May, 2018
"Also, any other information on equipment that every DJ should have (aside form controller and laptop) would be greatly appreciated."

With regards to that, you may want to consider getting a Novation Launchpad. The one I have goes for about $300, but I know they make ones for a lot less. You can map whatever functions your controller doesn't have, or remap any on your current controller that you don't like. If you can't afford a more expensive controller, this can hold you over. Even if you do upgrade, you'll always find a use for it.
Sphinx Sounds 8:00 PM - 16 May, 2018
Quote:
Hey guys,

Thanks

Tips for wanna be DJs:

1. Learn how to mix with turntables (this is a prerequisite- not a fucking option)!
2. Stay the fuck away from the Sync button!
3. Lay off the fucking horns!
4. Purchase a MBP!
5. Purchase a record pool subscription!

p.s., you're NOT a DJ unless you have mastered all of the above.

Seriously, I'm not trolling.

Regards,

AKA, DJ Old School
novakone 9:11 PM - 16 May, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
Hey guys,

Thanks

Tips for wanna be DJs:

1. Learn how to mix with turntables (this is a prerequisite- not a fucking option)!
2. Stay the fuck away from the Sync button!
3. Lay off the fucking horns!
4. Purchase a MBP!
5. Purchase a record pool subscription!

p.s., you're NOT a DJ unless you have mastered all of the above.

Seriously, I'm not trolling.

Regards,

AKA, DJ Old School

This ^^^
1.2.3 & 4
Not sure about 5 but I guess you gotta get your music from somewhere
Comrade Tulayev 11:20 AM - 17 May, 2018
You don't have to learn how to mix on turntables. That's just purist bollocks.
novakone 1:02 PM - 17 May, 2018
Quote:

Purist or not
You should learn how to beat match/mix. Just to separate you from every bloke with a laptop bag who is a “DJ”
I’ve met plenty, trust me

I’ve a mate who’s a well known Radio DJ. Was big name on Radio one in the U.K....

Nobody calls him a DJ or asks him to play tunes at party’s... why? Because he can’t beat match and he’s not a DJ.
He’ll admit it himself. He’s knows a good tune and would love to jump on a pair of CDJs with a sync button but that’s where it ends..

TLDR
Learn to mix, controller, CDJ or TT. What ever you like....It’s just a lot easier to learn on TTs..
Comrade Tulayev 1:06 PM - 17 May, 2018
Depends completely on what music you play.

Beat mixing is not the be all and end all .Plenty of decent DJs don't beat mix. Jah Shaka uses just one deck, for example.

Too many DJs focus on technical skills but play dull music with no passion. Passion for music is the thing that makes a DJ, not technical skills.
novakone 1:15 PM - 17 May, 2018
Agree with that but there always needs to be a balance.
I’ve heard many a passionfilled DJ clang two Bangers together and think they are “getting the party jumping” when really it sounds like someone’s kicked two drum kits down an apartment stairwell...
Comrade Tulayev 1:16 PM - 17 May, 2018
If you're playing house or techno, then you need to beatmix. A lot of other genres have no need for it.
Comrade Tulayev 1:17 PM - 17 May, 2018
And no one cares if you use sync. Get over it.
novakone 1:21 PM - 17 May, 2018
Quote:
If you're playing house or techno, then you need to beatmix. A lot of other genres have no need for it.

You clearly have no clue what your talking about.

Good luck OP. Hope you get the advice your after.
I’m out
Mr. Goodkat 11:40 PM - 17 May, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

I’m out

what is the clearly part?
somwaba 12:55 AM - 18 May, 2018
Thanks for everything guys. I can honestly say I've barely touched the sync button, I don't like how it "syncs." I've been fading out of the track and bring the next track in by altering the sound and making it have a sort of an intro - I'm liking the sound so far.

As the first post said - practice, practice, practice. And that's what I've been doing.

I appreciate all thoughts, it helps me figure out where I land!
Comrade Tulayev 8:33 AM - 18 May, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

I’m out

LOL! Bell end
Comrade Tulayev 9:36 AM - 18 May, 2018
Find music you love and play it. Everything else is secondary.
Cwite 4:48 PM - 19 May, 2018
Quote:
Find music you love and play it. Everything else is secondary.

This!!!

I have no hang ups with sync. I use it loads. Saying that, take it off me and I can still beat match perfectly. It is a skill that you 'should' learn, for when the BPM display is telling you lies. And you should learn to do it by ear. No screen, no BPM display. Just you, the music and lots of practice. Do this and learn to do it well, you've then got nothing to prove if you do use sync.

Honestly, it doesn't matter what you play on (to a point). I turned up to a last minute gig with just my back up DJ2GO2 controller and a Reloop Neon last Friday and nailed it. Not my normal weapon of choice, but it did the job.

Music programming is THE most important thing, and it's mostly to do with the Key of the song you are currently playing in relation to the incoming song. It's arguably even more important than the bpm, which is why you will see some party DJs nail an evening without ever beat mixing. Listen to the good ones and you will see what I mean.

Within your collection, you will instinctively know which song to play next with music that you love and know really well. Understanding WHY you know it is the right song will help you to improve because you will begin to see the mechanics behind it.

Record Pools are a great way to keep current. But you are going to be playing the same tunes as everyone else has access to. Dig deeper. Find ways to play songs that other people in your area wouldnt dream to drop in. Discover why vinyl DJs get addicted to buying records ;-)

You don't need a Mac. I have a 5yr old Sony Vaio on the Windows 10 system and it laughs at Serato Pro.

Good luck, and most importantly have fun. :-)
DJ YEFF 10:20 PM - 20 May, 2018
mymp3pool and bpm supreme are my favorite pool subscription. both are $20 a month
DJ Dro. B 6:26 AM - 21 May, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

Purist or not
You should learn how to beat match/mix. Just to separate you from every bloke with a laptop bag who is a “DJ”
I’ve met plenty, trust me

I’ve a mate who’s a well known Radio DJ. Was big name on Radio one in the U.K....

Nobody calls him a DJ or asks him to play tunes at party’s... why? Because he can’t beat match and he’s not a DJ.
He’ll admit it himself. He’s knows a good tune and would love to jump on a pair of CDJs with a sync button but that’s where it ends..

TLDR
Learn to mix, controller, CDJ or TT. What ever you like....It’s just a lot easier to learn on TTs..

I've just started DJ'ing and I've been able to catch on to the basic concepts, thanks to making beats out of Fruity Loops and recording since 2002.

I can see how beat matching (or blending) is a iffy topic but personally, with any type of music, I learned how beat matching can keep a mash up going. Also I've been able to make some creative melodies by blending looping from parts of the songs w/ no lyrics.

Overall, to each is own. either you can keep it simple and go tune for tune or blend to your hearts content. Either way, people want the music to keep coming.
Sphinx Sounds 8:19 PM - 23 May, 2018
Quote:

If one cannot DJ with a crate of actual records- one is NOT a DJ. It's that simple! Geez, everyone with a windows pc, mp3s ripped from YouTube, and a Behringer PA setup is calling themselves DJs!!!!

Enough is enough!!!!
Comrade Tulayev 8:35 PM - 23 May, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

If one cannot DJ with a crate of actual records- one is NOT a DJ. It's that simple! Geez, everyone with a windows pc, mp3s ripped from YouTube, and a Behringer PA setup is calling themselves DJs!!!!

Enough is enough!!!!

Massive lol. Get over yourself.
deezlee 4:13 AM - 24 May, 2018
Naw I don't think you need to mix records to be a DJ.
That said, I'd guess there is someone in this thread (besides the OP) that definitely can't mix records. :)
Comrade Tulayev 6:39 AM - 24 May, 2018
I can mix, been doing it since the mid 90s. I just hate the purist bullshit that some precious twats come out with.
Sphinx Sounds 3:04 PM - 24 May, 2018
How does one NOT have to be able to mix? That doesn't make sense! How could one manage the flow of the event? Oh, this reminds me to add #6:

- Stop watching the fucking screen while DJing.

Watching the BMP & waveforms is soooooo bush league. One doesn't have to, and should not, mix all the records played. However, slapping records together all night doesn't make sense as well.

DJing is all about MANAGING an event. One CANNOT manage transitions from one record to the next WITHOUT the proper skillset of mixing, blending, cutting in a record, etc...

...and, yeah, I'm a fucking purist since '87.
Comrade Tulayev 3:05 PM - 24 May, 2018
Precious twat since 87
Sphinx Sounds 3:09 PM - 24 May, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Enough is enough!!!!

Massive lol. Get over yourself.

Yeah, tell 'em why you mad son! LMAO. Let me guess, you have a Dell PC and some Mackies?
Comrade Tulayev 3:11 PM - 24 May, 2018
You sound insecure.
Aptidda 3:31 PM - 24 May, 2018
Sphinx I feel you on all forefronts. If you cant mix with turntables, YOU ARE TRASH. Amen, hands down NO QUESTIONS ASKED. Mixing on controllers is a cop out and sync is for children.

Can I get an Amen?
Sphinx Sounds 3:55 PM - 24 May, 2018
Quote:
You sound insecure.

Why? Because I have an opinion regarding this subject matter? Come on, you know the drill. There will forever be this tug of war; MBP vs PC, Old School vs Noob School, Controller vs Vinyl, etc.

I have a right to say you suck, given the above. No need to call names and get your panties inna bunch!
Sphinx Sounds 3:56 PM - 24 May, 2018
Quote:
Sphinx I feel you on all forefronts. If you cant mix with turntables, YOU ARE TRASH. Amen, hands down NO QUESTIONS ASKED. Mixing on controllers is a cop out and sync is for children.

Can I get an Amen?

lol
Sphinx Sounds 4:02 PM - 24 May, 2018
Quote:

Beat mixing is not the be all and end all .Plenty of decent DJs don't beat mix. Jah Shaka uses just one deck, for example.

Too many DJs focus on technical skills but play dull music with no passion. Passion for music is the thing that makes a DJ, not technical skills.

The latter in FALSE. Technical skills + Library management + Reading the Crown= DJ

It's all mathematics....
Comrade Tulayev 4:49 PM - 24 May, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
You sound insecure.

Why? Because I have an opinion regarding this subject matter? Come on, you know the drill. There will forever be this tug of war; MBP vs PC, Old School vs Noob School, Controller vs Vinyl, etc.

I have a right to say you suck, given the above. No need to call names and get your panties inna bunch!

Cos you feel the need to assume I am lesser than you cos I disagree with you
Comrade Tulayev 4:52 PM - 24 May, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

The latter in FALSE. Technical skills + Library management + Reading the Crown= DJ

It's all mathematics....

I doubt you ever heard of Jah Shaka
DJ Dro. B 7:37 PM - 29 May, 2018
I hope this add vale to this forum,

in regards to TT, CDJ, or controller, I personally see it as to each is own. I'm starting out with the Mixtrack Platinum controller (Since, I'm on a budget, and YES, I do stream from YouTune and utilize other resource available). However, I'm learning that when it comes to DJ'ing, you're only limited by your imagination and I'll elaborate n the example below.

I recently did my first paid gig and it was catered to the older crowd (in the 40-60s). fast-forwarding to the interesting parts, the Cha-Cha slide and Cupid Shuffle was requested constantly. So after the 3rd time of playing each of them I took a loop from Future's March Madness and put it in the Cha Cha Slide and for the Cupid Shuffle, I put a loop from No Mo play in GA by Pastor Troy. By doing that, it did get a good feedback from the crowd. Especially the ones that's familiar with those songs.

Overall, I'm finding out that when you're starting out small, exhaust all of what resources available until you can upgrade.

(And yes, I do plan on getting some turntables someday).