Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Serato Flip Question

Gio Alex 6:07 PM - 14 May, 2018
This may be a silly/stupid question. Long time SSL user, finally diving into SDJ Pro and its features. Anyway, is it possible to record two tracks into one flip? First instance deck 1 is playing something, so is deck 2 and that gets recorded onto deck 1 flip. To create like one "remix".

I mean, I suppose one could just hit the regular record mix button to achieve this, but figured I'd ask in case I'm missing something.
popnwave 6:07 PM - 14 May, 2018
I don't think I've ever seen it used this way, but maybe I am missing out..?
Gio Alex 6:14 PM - 14 May, 2018
Quote:
I don't think I've ever seen it used this way, but maybe I am missing out..?

Yeah same here, also figure I'd ask if I'm missing something. Would be a cool interesting feature though. Create quick "mashups" or remixes

But like I said I guess one could just hit record normally, but then that creates a whole new recording or track.
AKIEM 6:26 PM - 14 May, 2018
pretty sure it cant work that way
Gio Alex 6:42 PM - 14 May, 2018
Quote:
pretty sure it cant work that way

Yeah, kinda had that feeling.

Is it ridiculous to think that it would be a cool feature?
novakone 7:36 PM - 14 May, 2018
How does Flip actually work. I still can’t my head around it. Or ever needing it
Gio Alex 7:42 PM - 14 May, 2018
Quote:
How does Flip actually work. I still can’t my head around it. Or ever needing it

It wasn't until I watched a video about making offline edits I truly understood. Took me a bit to wrap my head around it. The simplest ways to use it is for creating intros/outros or clean versions, things of that nature. But you can also sort of rework a track since it records automation.
novakone 7:46 PM - 14 May, 2018
Cheers maybe I’ll need to watch the video again.
Does anyone know if it is useable without a hardware plugged in. You know so I can use it offline away from the mixer
Gio Alex 7:48 PM - 14 May, 2018
Quote:
Cheers maybe I’ll need to watch the video again.
Does anyone know if it is useable without a hardware plugged in. You know so I can use it offline away from the mixer

It is actually which is what peaked my interest. I was on the train and in bed making flips. Works in offline mode.

I really wish the SP-6 worked in offline mode though, cuz then I can create sample banks without being at my booth.
AKIEM 7:49 PM - 14 May, 2018
yeah, I think it should be expanded to work like automation for mixtapes... but the way its set up makes me think thats not going to happen.

but they should fix it so you can edit / drag the flip points around
(locking to the grid is not good enough for intricate type stuff)
AKIEM 7:50 PM - 14 May, 2018
I use it all the time to make 'clean' edits. Its better than opening protools but there are some hassles that suck
Gio Alex 7:52 PM - 14 May, 2018
Quote:
yeah, I think it should be expanded to work like automation for mixtapes... but the way its set up makes me think thats not going to happen.

but they should fix it so you can edit / drag the flip points around
(locking to the grid is not good enough for intricate type stuff)

Agreed!

Quote:
Its better than opening protools but there are some hassles that suck

This too. One of the main reasons I stopped making edits is because I got tired of having to go into an ableton session when I'd have little time.
AKIEM 7:57 PM - 14 May, 2018
so I do them routinely now for radio. Its easy to mess them up, and you have to play them all the way through to check....
DJ Tecniq 12:32 AM - 15 May, 2018
I’ve had flip for awhile but never really used it. In order to work sufficiently don’t beatgrids have to be set correctly. I don’t really care for beatgrids...”WASTE OF TIME” imo
AKIEM 3:26 AM - 15 May, 2018
I don't use beat grids.

but I wish I could edit flips
DJ Tecniq 5:07 AM - 15 May, 2018
Quote:
but I wish I could edit flips
It’s pretty damn easy but fuck beatgrids wish Serato would just detect them and set them correctly when analyzed. Sorry i just don’t have time to perfect beatgrids for all my damn files.
AKIEM 5:22 AM - 15 May, 2018
beat grids don't work for clean edits and drum tapping...
dj_soo 7:15 AM - 15 May, 2018
if you want to flip between two tracks, then you'd need to have both tracks on one file.

Quote:
I’ve had flip for awhile but never really used it. In order to work sufficiently don’t beatgrids have to be set correctly. I don’t really care for beatgrids...”WASTE OF TIME” imo

no. it's just a cue point automator. You can make quick hit edits in like 30 seconds on any tracks - even unquantized funk or rock tracks.
AKIEM 1:02 PM - 15 May, 2018
... but if you make mistakes, the only option is not to by using grids. no edit
Robbie O 1:48 PM - 15 May, 2018
I wanna use flips more, but some times either they don't activate or maybe cuts off (and restarts) at a weird time. I'm sure its something basic I'm missing but is there some trick I need to consider when flipping? If I really need one, I use ableton because I trust that more
Cwite 2:30 PM - 15 May, 2018
Quote:
I wanna use flips more, but some times either they don't activate or maybe cuts off (and restarts) at a weird time. I'm sure its something basic I'm missing but is there some trick I need to consider when flipping? If I really need one, I use ableton because I trust that more

It takes a while to get the hang of it. The key thing to remember is that a Flip may be armed to record the automotion, but it will only start tracking once you hit the first cue point. So you need to consider not only where you want the Flip to move to, but also where it moves from.

For example, if you want to use the end of a track (an outro) as an intro, and you want it to trigger automatically at the beginning of the track, then you need to lay 3 important cue points. One at the very start of the track, and one where the outro will be used as the intro. The final one will be where you want the track to jump back to, to play through.

Quick run through at a walking pace...

With the deck paused, press your starting hot cue point to set the play head in position . Still paused, now arm Flip to record. Still paused, hit your 1st hot cue once again. You will see the deck border change to red. You have just told Flip that this is your starting point. Every time you load this track to deck with this Flip that you are about to do activated, what ever you do next, will start from here.
So, with the deck still paused hit the cue point you set at the start of the outro, the played will jump and Flip will remember this. You have just set a new starting point for the beginning of the track. Press Play and get to a natural 4 beat, 8 beat or 16 beat point where you would usually loop back. Press Pause and make sure the played is exactly where you want it to be. It doesn't matter if you go slightly passed it and rewind, just make sure it is dead on. Now hit your outro cue again and the played jump will be remembered. Go to the end of your outro a second time (or as many times as you need) then at the final time you want the outro to have finished playing, press a cue point at the start of the track where you would want it to resume. Still paused at this point, end your Flip recording. Save the Flip to a blank slot and name it "32b intro" or similar. VERY important, make sure the loop symbol is off. This will let the Flip play once, then let the song carry on as normal. Still paused, go back to your original starting cue point, un-arm then re-arm the Flip. Press Play and it should now play back everything that you just did.
If you leave this Flip armed, everytime you load this song this Flip will be activate everytime you start the track. When the track eventually plays through to the end where you were doing all the Flip movements, it will ignore them because it has already played through once and you had turned off loop. (Leave it on and your song will start all over again)

You don't have to do this paused. You can do it while the deck is playing, but it can get a bit frantic if you are new to it. When you are REALLY brave you can do them in a live set too, but you really need to understand what it's going to do otherwise it can be a train wreck.

I hope this has helped??
Robbie O 3:06 PM - 15 May, 2018
Quote:
It takes a while to get the hang of it. The key thing to remember is that a Flip may be armed to record the automotion, but it will only start tracking once you hit the first cue point. So you need to consider not only where you want the Flip to move to, but also where it moves from.

Thanks Cwite! Thanks to your detailed steps, I see my Flip workflow was flawed. I thought Flip recording just started when the first cue point was made. I sometimes ignored the position of where the playhead would be when I pressed the first cue point. That was the problem. Also I have activated, start song at first cue point. So it gets tricky with the flips activation, cause sometimes I would make flips and delete the cue points I created only for the flip. I guess now I'll keep the cues (1st one) and mark it Flip only
HellNegative1 3:09 PM - 15 May, 2018
I will be creating a simplified Flip Tutorial video soon using a launchpad mini.

While you cannot record a single flip for multiple tracks, you can create a multi track flip by engaging both at the same time.
dj_soo 6:07 PM - 15 May, 2018
I don’t bother with hitting the first cue point - I’ve found that has caused some issues in the past.

Simply set your “out” cue. Hit record on flip, find the spot where you want the automation to begin, zero in on the exact transition spot, hit the cue, press save.
Gio Alex 2:56 PM - 16 May, 2018
Quote:

For the drum tapping part the can if you choose the right quantization timing. I usually set it to a 1/4 rather than 1 beat.
Gio Alex 2:58 PM - 16 May, 2018
Quote:
I will be creating a simplified Flip Tutorial video soon using a launchpad mini.

While you cannot record a single flip for multiple tracks, you can create a multi track flip by engaging both at the same time.

Thank you.
AKIEM 6:04 PM - 16 May, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

For the drum tapping part the can if you choose the right quantization timing. I usually set it to a 1/4 rather than 1 beat.

so all youre drum hits will hit on quarter notes?

I haven't actuary even tried because when I start drumming stuff I don't want it quantized... and came to the conclusion I don't even need it recorded - just do it live - u less we could Flip a whole mixtape (The Bridge)
Gio Alex 6:18 PM - 16 May, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I haven't actuary even tried because when I start drumming stuff I don't want it quantized... and came to the conclusion I don't even need it recorded - just do it live - u less we could Flip a whole mixtape (The Bridge)

pretty much. If i set it too a whole beat then i notice the estimation is way off. I use quantize and beatgrids because I'm actually not trying to do live drumming but actually trying to record a flip. I wouldn't want my flip edits to be off behind that I'm not that good at finger drumming.

More power to anyone that can do that well enough to have the timing perfect.
Gio Alex 6:22 PM - 16 May, 2018
My question is, what the hell is the difference between a beat jump and flip? Isn't it the same thing kind of?
dj_soo 7:14 PM - 16 May, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

pretty much. If i set it too a whole beat then i notice the estimation is way off. I use quantize and beatgrids because I'm actually not trying to do live drumming but actually trying to record a flip. I wouldn't want my flip edits to be off behind that I'm not that good at finger drumming.

More power to anyone that can do that well enough to have the timing perfect.

Don’t record your flips in real-time. Much easier and faster to just scrub through the track and find the exact point you want to edit and hit the cue.
CMOS 7:58 PM - 16 May, 2018
Quote:
u less we could Flip a whole mixtape (The Bridge)

Couldnt you put all the tracks in one file and do this?

Not fun but technically might be possible.
Gio Alex 9:04 PM - 16 May, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

That's an interesting method actually.
Gio Alex 9:06 PM - 16 May, 2018
Quote:
Don’t record your flips in real-time. Much easier and faster to just scrub through the track and find the exact point you want to edit and hit the cue.

How does this work exactly? Doesn't the track have to be playing for the flip to record?
AKIEM 9:37 PM - 16 May, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

nope, because Flip doesn't record pitch change or turntable movement. you couldn't mix... and only 8 cue points
Gio Alex 9:43 PM - 16 May, 2018
Wouldn't matter though if all the tracks were the same BPM and technically 8 cue points may be enough may be enough. I did a flip with only 2-3 cue points. So another track can be the same amount.
AKIEM 9:59 PM - 16 May, 2018
still can't mix

to me it just doesn't make sense for song phrasing... only thing I like it for is censoring for radio. there is one thing I may try using it for - now that I understand it...
Gio Alex 11:31 PM - 16 May, 2018
Quote:
still can't mix

Yeah i hear ya.

Quote:
there is one thing I may try using it for - now that I understand it...

There's still the intro edits though as well, that makes a lot sense as well.
dj_soo 12:35 AM - 17 May, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

How does this work exactly? Doesn't the track have to be playing for the flip to record?

Nope - think of it as a timeline. When you hit record all it takes into account is where on the track you hit the cue. So what I usually do for say a short edit is find the out point - say the last chorus - set a cue point, beat jump all the way back to my edit point, press record, press the cue and hit save. Literally takes like 10 seconds.
Gio Alex 12:41 AM - 17 May, 2018
hmmmm... i coud've sworn I tried this and it didn't work but I'll give it another go. Thanks.
AKIEM 2:25 AM - 17 May, 2018
I don't like it all for intro edits. For that I save a loop on the outro then just manually edit how I want....

when I get the chance I will explain the drumming Im going to use it for. since Ive mastered the censoring Ive realized a couple things about it and think it was designed to work a certain way thats not really being promoted.... eh
dj_soo 9:17 AM - 17 May, 2018
I mainly use it for short edits - skipping a verse or two and going straight to the outro.

When it first dropped, I had 0 interest thinking that already having Ableton, I didn't need it.

Once I figured out how to use it quickly - rather than sitting there trying to do my edits in real-time, I totally got it.

Love the non-destructive edits with no transcoding and the fact that I can stay in the same program. I can just do a practice session, decide to edit a tune and do it immediately instead of having to launch another program, fuck around in it, render, and import it back into serato - all because I want to remove a long breakdown in the track...
Gio Alex 10:51 AM - 17 May, 2018
Quote:
Love the non-destructive edits with no transcoding and the fact that I can stay in the same program. I can just do a practice session, decide to edit a tune and do it immediately instead of having to launch another program, fuck around in it, render, and import it back into serato - all because I want to remove a long breakdown in the track...

All of this basically. And also the fact that you're not creating a whole new version, therefore saving space and versions of a track.