DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Advice on Speaker Selection

thorissr 2:30 PM - 9 May, 2018
I have an outside gig this weekend where I will need as much volume (output) and throw as possible from just 2 12 inch tops, all while maintaining clarity in full range mode. I’m aware that 15’s would be more suitable in this case but I will be using them in the future with subs, with up to 4 EV EKX’s 18SP’s. Based on my budget of $1000 or less per speaker I’ve narrowed it down to these 2 tops.

2 Yamaha DSR112’s
or
2 RCF ART 732A MK4’s

Unfortunately no one in my area carry these speakers for me to A/B them so this selection process was from researching and reading countless threads here and other pro A/V websites. It appears that once advice is asked on various type of speakers (subs/bottoms), threads are immediately derailed by participants suggesting their personal dislike or likes for speakers that weren’t part of the OP question. Therefore, those posts end up being cluttered with individuals pushing brands/speakers that they personally have or have loyalty to, and have no significance to the original question posed.

If anyone has any personal listening experience with the 2 brands listed above, whether you own(ed) them or had an opportunity to A/B them I would greatly appreciate your input before I pull the trigger today.

Thank you!
thorissr 2:36 PM - 9 May, 2018
.....forgot to add that I already own a couple of tops so my process was narrowed down by assuming that these 2 brand of speakers will definitely outclass what I already have in my arsenal.

EKX 12Ps
QSC K 12.2s
PRX 812Ws
dj_soo 3:32 PM - 9 May, 2018
While I have heard neither, if you intend on pairing them with EV subs, then get the DSRs unless you plan on running an external crossover. RCF tops require a sub with a highpass output - which the EV subs do not.

DSR isn't ideal either because they only have a 120hz high pass built in and a lot of people (myself included) prefer to run a lower crossover.

Standalone, the big complaint I've heard about the DSR112s is the lack of low end.
thorissr 4:36 PM - 9 May, 2018
Ah!! Good advice Soo. Appears it’s a bit more complicated than I thought. DSRs has the output but lack the low end in full range mode. RCFs would be a great buy if my intended purpose was to only use them in full range mode and/or if I can deal with them at handling all frequencies at or above 120hz when paired with subs. I typically run my my tops with subs at 80 or 100. Question....with the 120hz cutoff on the RCFs would the 3” voice coil and 1.4” compression drive make a difference in their quality of sound? Being that they crossover at 700hz would lead me to believe that there’s a great emphasis on the mid range spectrum.

I just might call it the day and order 1 ZXA5 just to stay within my budget, and pick another one up at a later date.
dj_soo 5:59 PM - 9 May, 2018
I think you've got the tops confused. The RCF doesn't have a cutoff at all so you'd need a sub with an active crossover with a highpass output or an external crossover. It's the DSR that only has a 120hz high pass and it has a 2" high frequency voice coil.

The larger voice coil in both those speakers should in theory lead to tighter midrange reproduction since they crossover at a lower point within the box meaning the woofer in the top doesn't have to work as hard to produce a larger frequency range.
thorissr 6:09 PM - 9 May, 2018
For the record I just pulled the trigger on the Yamaha DSR112s. Based on what I’ve read and listened to via YouTube(hi-def headphones)...lol, the Yamaha 12s in full range can handle a bit of the low end with the D-Contour mode engaged. Overwhelming opinions suggest that the 15s can without a doubt get to outrageous high levels without sacrificing on the low end when ran in full range. Unfortunately I’m just not 15inch man because I rarely and I mean rarely do I run a set without subs. This is one of these one off rare occasions where a sub isnt required nor needed in an outside event at a public park, but I needed high volume output speakers that can throw at a great distance without sacrificing my sound.

Getting 15% off the total order helped my decision as well being that Yamaha is currently running a $100 per speaker rebate in the form of a Visa card. I couldn’t get them to budge on the RCFs because I was told they would be selling them “at cost” if they applied 15% to that particular model. Anyway when it’s all said and done, my out of pocket expense will be right at $1300 for the pair....saving me $700 on my allotted budget for this purchase.

Thanks Soo!
thorissr 6:16 PM - 9 May, 2018
Quote:
I think you've got the tops confused. The RCF doesn't have a cutoff at all so you'd need a sub with an active crossover with a highpass output or an external crossover. It's the DSR that only has a 120hz high pass and it has a 2" high frequency voice coil.

The larger voice coil in both those speakers should in theory lead to tighter midrange reproduction since they crossover at a lower point within the box meaning the woofer in the top doesn't have to work as hard to produce a larger frequency range.

Yes I did...however, based on the RCF requiring a high pass which my subs don’t have....I more or less leaned towards the Yamaha’s being that at least my subs along with the Yammies can deal with the 120hz cutoff. There’s not much out there to go off of in regards to RCF 7 Series MK4, so being that the yammies are tried and true with a plethora of comparisons out in the wild helped me to decide as well.

The only negative in this situation is whether I can deal with the 120hz cutoff when paired with subs, which if needed I can manually cross them over at the desired frequency with my dbx PA2.
dj_soo 6:24 PM - 9 May, 2018
if you have a driverack and you tend to use it a lot, you should be good with either honestly - only minus is you'd have to bring it to every gig when using subs.

I haven't heard much about that particular RCF speaker, but I do really like the sound of RCF from all the rigs I've heard and this forum has a bit of a hard-on for the 745s (which I'd love to hear).
thorissr 6:44 PM - 9 May, 2018
Yes...without a doubt the 745s would’ve been my immediate choice if I weren’t on a budget. That’s one model that everyone agrees to be a winner, and most often compared to the infamous ZXA5. It can be referred to as the modern day ZXA5 with DSP limiting.
JDforKing 7:20 PM - 9 May, 2018
Quote:
For the record I just pulled the trigger on the Yamaha DSR112s. Based on what I’ve read and listened to via YouTube(hi-def headphones)...lol, the Yamaha 12s in full range can handle a bit of the low end with the D-Contour mode engaged. Overwhelming opinions suggest that the 15s can without a doubt get to outrageous high levels without sacrificing on the low end when ran in full range. Unfortunately I’m just not 15inch man because I rarely and I mean rarely do I run a set without subs. This is one of these one off rare occasions where a sub isnt required nor needed in an outside event at a public park, but I needed high volume output speakers that can throw at a great distance without sacrificing my sound.

Getting 15% off the total order helped my decision as well being that Yamaha is currently running a $100 per speaker rebate in the form of a Visa card. I couldn’t get them to budge on the RCFs because I was told they would be selling them “at cost” if they applied 15% to that particular model. Anyway when it’s all said and done, my out of pocket expense will be right at $1300 for the pair....saving me $700 on my allotted budget for this purchase.

Thanks Soo!

Where are you getting that price?
thorissr 7:57 PM - 9 May, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks Soo!

Where are you getting that price?

PM sent!!
pdidy 9:00 PM - 9 May, 2018
Quote:
Yes...without a doubt the 745s would’ve been my immediate choice if I weren’t on a budget. That’s one model that everyone agrees to be a winner, and most often compared to the infamous ZXA5. It can be referred to as the modern day ZXA5 with DSP limiting.

What pricing are you getting for both of these speakers? they are essentially the same price so there's no exscuse not to get the 745. If I remember correctly I paid about $1200 each for my 745's with the bags.
thorissr 9:16 PM - 9 May, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

What pricing are you getting for both of these speakers? they are essentially the same price so there's no exscuse not to get the 745. If I remember correctly I paid about $1200 each for my 745's with the bags.

The 745 mk4s are listed at $1600 per speaker and I was quoted at $3200/pair with not discount. Whereas, the yammies are listed at $900 per speaker and with a 15% discount put me at $1530/pair out the door. Once I receive my receipt (proof of purchase), I’ll be cashing in on Yamaha’s current redeem $100 per speaker promotion. My total budget for this purchase was capped at $2000 for 2 speakers. Therefore, budget considered, two 745s was out of my reach this time around, and any seller would be hard pressed to match a pair of 745’s at the cost of what I copped the yammies for, barring the $200 back promotion.

If you know of a retailer that can match this deal, or better yet, can get me out the door at or below $2K for a pair of 745 mk4’s I’m all ears.
pdidy 9:25 PM - 9 May, 2018
Quote:
If you know of a retailer that can match this deal, or better yet, can get me out the door at or below $2K for a pair of 745 mk4’s I’m all ears.

checking my contact.......
thorissr 9:30 PM - 9 May, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

Good looking out Pdidy!

Thanks
pdidy 9:50 PM - 9 May, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Good looking out Pdidy!

Thanks

i was Able to get a deal of $1100 each, I understand it's a little over your budget but let me know what you like to do.
thorissr 10:05 PM - 9 May, 2018
Wow!!!! You are a man that can work wonders! :)

My order was picked at the retaler’s warehouse about an hour ago, so I’ll have to wait until they are delivered and returned to get my money back. If I can manage to find some additional coins lying around to pick your deal up to avoid waiting 2 weeks before I’m refunded, I will most definitely let you know! I know deals such as yours are time sensitive, and you have to jump on them at the time they’re available.

Again thanks P!
pdidy 10:50 PM - 9 May, 2018
No problem, Pm me if your finances work out and I will set you up with the dealer.
thorissr 10:50 PM - 9 May, 2018
Will do!
Al Poulin 2:55 PM - 10 May, 2018
The DSR112s are amongst the loudest full range cabs I have tested, with incredible output and sweet/crisp top end. That said, as mentionned, they are very, very weak in the low frequencies, producing very little output below 70hz. They are a very compact cab, so this doesn't help :) Do not try to boost the low end on your eq to try to get it out of them, you,ll simply wither damage them or rob them of all headroom. Used with subs and hi-passed, they are superb and can keep up with some bigger subs, even in multiples. DSR115s are the ones you want if you want good thump stand alone.

Al
thorissr 3:36 PM - 10 May, 2018
Quote:
The DSR112s are amongst the loudest full range cabs I have tested, with incredible output and sweet/crisp top end. That said, as mentionned, they are very, very weak in the low frequencies, producing very little output below 70hz. They are a very compact cab, so this doesn't help :) Do not try to boost the low end on your eq to try to get it out of them, you,ll simply wither damage them or rob them of all headroom. Used with subs and hi-passed, they are superb and can keep up with some bigger subs, even in multiples. DSR115s are the ones you want if you want good thump stand alone.

Al

Thanks Al! I’ve read your review on the DSRs and your observations reflect exactly what my expectations will be once I put them into action. In this particular case I needed tops that could get loud loud without sacrificing clarity when pushed.

Question....I have 4 EV EKX 18SPs, and as far as matched output would you think that these 4 subs will outclass 2 DSR112s, or will the DSRs outclass 4 subs? Based on my non-scientific calculations (continuous power) the closest that I can get to a perfect 1:1 ratio for maximum output (subs to tops), I would only need 3 EKX 18s coupled for a dB boost. Are my calculations off? My numbers reflect that If I were to use all 4 subs with these tops it would allow me to gain maximum output without pushing/stressing the DSRs too hard when emphasis on bass is needed. Keep in mind that I spin mostly Hip-Hop/R&B/Top 40, so there’s always an emphasis on 50hz and below.
pdidy 6:22 PM - 10 May, 2018
2 DSR112 vs 4 EV EKX 18SP = good match with a slight edge going to the dsr's. If you really play bass heavy like me..... 2 DSR112 vs 6 EV EKX 18SP = perfect match

BTW........DSR112 47lbs, DSR115 62lbs, RCF 745 41lbs :)
thorissr 7:15 PM - 10 May, 2018
Quote:
2 DSR112 vs 4 EV EKX 18SP = good match with a slight edge going to the dsr's. If you really play bass heavy like me..... 2 DSR112 vs 6 EV EKX 18SP = perfect match

Just when ya think you have enough bottom end! Those 745s sure are lightweight compared to their overall capabilities.
thorissr 7:17 PM - 10 May, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

Just when ya think you have enough bottom end! Those 745s sure are lightweight compared to their overall capabilities.

Kind of regret letting my Srx828sp go....it appears I need 2 of them now to get me where I’d like to be sound wise. The only caveat to doubles is scalability.
pdidy 9:06 PM - 10 May, 2018
Quote:

And they're very good on bass so they produced that "small sub" sound when used standalone.

Quote:
The only caveat to doubles is scalability.

We pay a lot extra for the convenience of scalability unfortunately.....
Al Poulin 11:17 PM - 10 May, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

Al

Thanks Al! I’ve read your review on the DSRs and your observations reflect exactly what my expectations will be once I put them into action. In this particular case I needed tops that could get loud loud without sacrificing clarity when pushed.

Question....I have 4 EV EKX 18SPs, and as far as matched output would you think that these 4 subs will outclass 2 DSR112s, or will the DSRs outclass 4 subs? Based on my non-scientific calculations (continuous power) the closest that I can get to a perfect 1:1 ratio for maximum output (subs to tops), I would only need 3 EKX 18s coupled for a dB boost. Are my calculations off? My numbers reflect that If I were to use all 4 subs with these tops it would allow me to gain maximum output without pushing/stressing the DSRs too hard when emphasis on bass is needed. Keep in mind that I spin mostly Hip-Hop/R&B/Top 40, so there’s always an emphasis on 50hz and below.

As Pdidy mentionned, 2 to 1 or even 3 to one for bass heavy music and overall sound. It's surprising what a pair of hi passed DSR112s can do...

Al
thorissr 1:13 AM - 13 May, 2018
Just chiming in after receiving my Yamaha DSR112s yesterday and putting them through my stress tests. These are most definitely phenomenal speakers considering the price bracket at which they are sold in. I ran them in full range and high pass (120hz) couple with my 4 ekx 18s and in both situations at high high volumes they sounded very musical. Not once did I see the limit light blink and trust me I tried my best to light that sucker up.

I must say they weren’t as impressive in full range mode by themselves, and I’m sure that’s where a speaker such as the 745 would shine. However, we are looking at a 12” vs. 15” so no surprise there. The D-contour feature makes a huge difference and does exactly what it was designed to do, to utilize the unit’s power and apply it across the entire frequency range as the volume increases or decreases to maintain consistent clarity at all volumes. I guess it’s some type of pseudo-compression tech some going on with this feature. Nonetheless it works!

I A/B’ed this against my PRX812W, QSC K12.2, EV EKX 12 with SUBS and simply put.....they definitely aren’t in the same class as the DSR112s, falling short in multiple categories against these yammies. A quick synopsis, the EVs do sound great until they started limiting (EV’s stage 1 limiter) all while the Yamaha’s were just asking for more volume. The QSC’s provided more bass in the same volume range I tested the Yammies at, but again they ran out of gas and laid down before the finish line. The JBL’s are loud but at higher volumes they became harsh sounding and began limiting like a Christmas tree on December 24th, even after multiple tweaks via the PRX Connect app.

I rarely run tops without subs so I’m always looking to get the most juice out of my tops as it relates to my subs, or vice versa. I’m well aware that they are a plethora of speakers out there that can outclass these speakers, but surely they are in another price bracket. Typically costing 30% or more than the list price of these yammies. Now I’m anxiously awaiting for their DZR line to drop, because their specs look like a substantial jump from the line that they are replacing, DSR. If Yamaha can keep a similar pricing model for their new DZR line, it would most definitely be a top contender for the new King of Ml powered PA speakers.
Al Poulin 1:02 PM - 14 May, 2018
Happy you like the DSR112s. Incredible output from 80hz and up, but indeed as was mentionned - these are not great used full range. It's not just the 12" woofer but rather the small cabinet dimensions that affect low frequenc performance...
thorissr 1:53 PM - 14 May, 2018
Quote:
Happy you like the DSR112s. Incredible output from 80hz and up, but indeed as was mentionned - these are not great used full range. It's not just the 12" woofer but rather the small cabinet dimensions that affect low frequenc performance...

Al...from your extensive testing what low pass frequency do you usually run your subs? The DSR hpf is set at 120 and I’m aware that frequencies below 120 aren’t “cut off”, but rather they are rolled off. I prefer to run my subs at 80hz but I don’t want to leave a gap if I were to continue to do so.

Thanks
Al Poulin 2:24 PM - 14 May, 2018
My personal preference is 100hz for my DXR tops and DXS subs. You can always try to see if you can hear any differences at different settings. If you can't hear a big difference, most likely your audience won't either...
Al Poulin 2:27 PM - 14 May, 2018
You can also set your subs to 80 and leave the DSR112s running full range since they have very little response belos 80hz anyways. Just avoid boosting the lows on your eq or mixer channel eqs...
RR437T 4:40 AM - 16 May, 2018
"Based on my non-scientific calculations (continuous power) the closest that I can get to a perfect 1:1 ratio for maximum output (subs to tops), I would only need 3 EKX 18s coupled for a dB boost. Are my calculations off?"

Most people on this website usually find my posts extremely offensive, and I'm sure this one will be no exception. But, to answer your question, your calculations are probably are off. Its not your fault, though. When you look at specs, you need to keep in mind that there's no standard that everyone adheres to. For example, if you gave the same amp to 5 different companies and asked them to rate it for power, you'll get 5 different numbers.

That said, the most important element is the environment. You can take the exact same system and put it in 2 different rooms and get completely different results. In one room, the subs may not be able to keep up with the main speakers, and in a different room, the opposite could be true. You also have to factor in the crowd. The system will sound different in a room full of people, then it does when its empty.

Your best bet is to rent some speakers from a local music store and experiment. That's the only way you can really be sure.
Taipanic 5:50 PM - 22 May, 2018
I have used one DSR112 over 2 Yorkville LS801s and still had plenty of headroom on the Yamahas. As stated, you can run them full range if you are not pumping them too hard or enable the 120hz high pass. I usually cross my bigger subs around 90. You won't miss the frequencies in between the two - they are still there, just rolled off. I haven't tested it out yet but I'm sure a single DSR112 will sound good over two Orbit Shifters - roughly the equivalent of 3-4 Yorkvilles.
Gio Alex 5:56 PM - 22 May, 2018
Could use some advice too, I'm dropping my discussion here if anyone's willing to help. Thanks!

serato.com
RR437T 11:11 PM - 22 May, 2018
Quote:
I have used one DSR112 over 2 Yorkville LS801s and still had plenty of headroom on the Yamahas. As stated, you can run them full range if you are not pumping them too hard or enable the 120hz high pass. I usually cross my bigger subs around 90. You won't miss the frequencies in between the two - they are still there, just rolled off. I haven't tested it out yet but I'm sure a single DSR112 will sound good over two Orbit Shifters - roughly the equivalent of 3-4 Yorkvilles.

That sounds like a good system, but what type of room is it in? The environment dictates the system.
Taipanic 4:56 PM - 29 May, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

That sounds like a good system, but what type of room is it in? The environment dictates the system.

Average 200-300 capacity rooms.
I used my two JTR Noesis 3TX over 5 Yorkville subs in a 300 cap room this weekend. Subs running about 75%, tops under 50% (-20db light just flickering on occasion). House & Techno music, plenty of volume throughout room. The Yamaha DSRs could have done it as well but would have been run much harder and not quite as full sound as my Noesis' are low passed at 80, making that a full 4 way rig.
djhouse 1:40 PM - 10 August, 2019
Has anyone heard the DZR12/15 yet? Can’t find anything useful on the net when I do a search. I got the DXS15XLF subs (2) in the mail yesterday. Can’t wait to test them out.