DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Bassboss ssp218 or

Johnnynights 7:36 PM - 8 May, 2018
Anyone has these and would you recommend them?

I'm looking to get 1 of them ssp218 or a pair of ssp118..

I'm open to anything I was looking into danley,eaw and some other subs too but those bassboss got my attention...
dj_soo 2:44 AM - 9 May, 2018
While I've never heard them, I hear nothing but good things.

I'm usually more inclined to go for the two singles over a double just due to easier scaling.
SG SOUNDS 12:53 PM - 9 May, 2018
Check out the JTR Orbit Shifters
Johnnynights 3:48 PM - 9 May, 2018
Quote:
While I've never heard them, I hear nothing but good things.

I'm usually more inclined to go for the two singles over a double just due to easier scaling.

I heard a few bassboss just not the ssp118...true that..only thing is a bit more pricey lol.
Johnnynights 3:50 PM - 9 May, 2018
Quote:

Will look into those....I still got my srx800 setup that I been using a lot lately just want to get a pair of that next level sub lol.
SG SOUNDS 5:17 PM - 9 May, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

Will look into those....I still got my srx800 setup that I been using a lot lately just want to get a pair of that next level sub lol.

I have the srx800 set up and trust me the JTR is NEXT LEVEL STUFF
thorissr 7:11 PM - 9 May, 2018
I’m 3 hours from Austin and I’m itching to make a trip to find out what all this fuss is about the “Boss”.lol
pdidy 9:04 PM - 9 May, 2018
For people in the New York City area bassboss is doing a demo on May 16.....www.facebook.com
577er 4:51 AM - 10 May, 2018
Gunna miss it hopefully they do more. Let us know what you think!
Johnnynights 7:45 AM - 10 May, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I have the srx800 set up and trust me the JTR is NEXT LEVEL STUFF

I will look into those...thanks RIDDIM.
Johnnynights 7:46 AM - 10 May, 2018
Quote:
For people in the New York City area bassboss is doing a demo on May 16.....www.facebook.com

I wish I had time to go...I missed the demo here in LA..
Johnnynights 7:54 AM - 10 May, 2018
@pdidy if you get to hear some of those subs and speakers chime back in here....would like to hear your opinion on them.
pdidy 6:25 PM - 10 May, 2018
Quote:
@pdidy if you get to hear some of those subs and speakers chime back in here....would like to hear your opinion on them.

I'm definitely going and I'll try to document everything.......
The Real Dj Danger 10:03 PM - 10 May, 2018
Wow.... 4500.00 each for the LA88's !!!! I'd love to hear a set of them!
siroc5 2:26 PM - 17 May, 2018
Hey pdidy,
Did you make it to JKAudio for the BassBoss Demo?
pdidy 10:23 PM - 17 May, 2018
Quote:
Hey pdidy,
Did you make it to JKAudio for the BassBoss Demo?

HELL YEA!.....photos.app.goo.gl
dj_soo 11:24 PM - 17 May, 2018
so what do you think? Live up to the hype?
siroc5 1:56 AM - 18 May, 2018
Great pics .... want details on the 21in sub and the dv12 micromain
pdidy 2:24 AM - 18 May, 2018
I was present at the basboss demo and would give it a solid F+ because the demonstration left me pissed off and disappointed.

1. BASSBOSS and JK Pro Audio failed to provide adequate power to Soundsystem which then led to circuit breakers tripping. Bassboss should have required adequate power at this location prior to the demonstration. This is an amateur mistake that should never happen with a professional company.

2. Bassboss states on their website "Don't hold back! BASSBOSS subs are optimized for full-power usage. With plenty of headroom to keep up with the most enthusiastic crowd and not run out of bass. So turn it up, and keep it up.”

I was expecting to see/feel/hear this at the demonstration but I got quite the opposite, bassboss was holding back. The speakers were never demonstrated to their full potential which then leaves unanswered questions as to how they will perform in the real world when pushed near their limits.

3. The SSP118 or ssp218 was not at the demo. These are the top favorites for DJ's and what I most wanted to hear.

4. The bassboss rep was clearly knowledgeable of the product and played the right material with low frequency content to demonstrate bassboss sound quality which separates them from consumer/pro-Sumer subwoofers. The other DJs wasted time with content that didn't go loooow or was of low quality and was therefore pointless.

But make no mistake bassboss is on some next level shit…... The sound quality was absolutely phenomenal. There was no doubt that these were the best subs I've ever heard in my life. There were moments when I was feeling stuff that I've never felt before in a subwoofer like the ground was shifting and it was completely effortless at low volume quite similar to a home theater system of great quality but BIGGGER. The subs were incredibly clean even a close distance with my ear against a sub, I could not detect any distortion whatsoever……... My subs can't do that lol
pdidy 2:34 AM - 18 May, 2018
Quote:
so what do you think? Live up to the hype?

Absolutely.... it's all true..... the sound quality was pretty freaking incredible. When compared to regular consumer sub that we use as DJs bassboss is on a another level. Even at low volume it's noticeable how much lower bassboss goes compared to the subs we're used to hearing. They are so clean it's like a sub in a home theater system. Now this brings up another issue..... if you don't play a lot of low frequency content then you have no use for bassboss because that is were they separated themselves from the rest.
pdidy 2:45 AM - 18 May, 2018
Quote:
Great pics .... want details on the 21in sub and the dv12 micromain

Those were easily the crowd favorite including mine. The VS21 is so impressive that it makes the ground feel like it's moving, this is the bass that you can feel but can't hear. TheVS 21 can do it all and has excellent KICK/punch, goes extremely low and give you the base that you feel. It definitely gave me one of those "OH shit" moments. The dv12 was also impressive as it performed like a 15 and sounded as if a small sub was playing in full range. I've never seen a 12 inch top that could do that..... The clarity was just as impressive and top-notch, one top can easily keep up with 4 18" inch subs.
pdidy 2:53 AM - 18 May, 2018
What was most surprising was DJ18S Powered Subwoofer, it's capable of producing low-frequency tones similar to that of the largest subwoofers like the vs21. There were times that I thought the 21 or the double 18's were playing but it was only a single DJ18s.
Johnnynights 6:28 AM - 18 May, 2018
@pdidy I'm looking to get the ssp218 or a pair of ssp118...but some guys that have both told me to just go for the dj18s that there pretty close in output and sound quality.

You think these single bassboss subs have more output than a yorkville?..
pdidy 9:11 AM - 18 May, 2018
Quote:
@pdidy I'm looking to get the ssp218 or a pair of ssp118...but some guys that have both told me to just go for the dj18s that there pretty close in output and sound quality.

You think these single bassboss subs have more output than a yorkville?..

The bassboss and yorkville are louder than each other at different frequencies but in most cases the yorkville will appear louder to the average listener. The Yorkville will always be perceived as louder because the frequencies between 50 and 80 Hz are louder in the Yorkville. But the very low bass frequencies below 50 Hz down to 28hz Will be louder in the bassboss. Yorkville can never be beaten for bang for buck, only get the bassboss if you're a true "bass head" who plays bass heavy music with a lot of low content in the 30 Hz area because that's where bassboss separates themselves from all other speakers that you normally hear.
Johnnynights 3:02 PM - 18 May, 2018
I like the bassboss subs I heard...but true that if you only play low frequency music that's where there going to shine...

I already have the jbl srx815p and a pair of srx818sp...to be honest I can save big time and just get 1 or 2 srx828sp and all matched jbl setup...

Is a hard a choice lol.
Johnnynights 3:05 PM - 18 May, 2018
So far I have these subs to decide from

Bassboss ssp218
Bassboss ssp218 pair
Bassboss dj18 pair
Jtr orbit shifters
Rcf 8004as pair
Jbl srx828sp
siroc5 3:26 PM - 18 May, 2018
Thanks pdidy,
Pretty much what I was always told about BassBoss subs, they go low, and is what like about them, now that you mention your thoughts on the DJ18s considering getting them as i have a pair of dv12 and haven't give them a real limit testing being in the house in the basement. Unexpectedly surprised about the power situation at JK Pro Audio. I'm trying to make my way to see BassBoss Demo this August at the DJExpo.
Question, being that the BassBoss subs as you mention are louder at 50hz to 28hz. I mostly play Dancehall Reggae, Soca, Hip Hop and House and some Afrobeats would the subharmonic on the DBX be useful in producing these low frequency to BassBoss type subs? Or is the music I play have the low enough frequency where I don't need it? I know when i play Old Reggae Studio One it is definitely needed.
Thanks Again for the BassBoss Info
Taipanic 3:01 PM - 22 May, 2018
Quote:
I was present at the basboss demo and would give it a solid F+ because the demonstration left me pissed off and disappointed.

1. BASSBOSS and JK Pro Audio failed to provide adequate power to Soundsystem which then led to circuit breakers tripping. Bassboss should have required adequate power at this location prior to the demonstration. This is an amateur mistake that should never happen with a professional company.

2. Bassboss states on their website "Don't hold back! BASSBOSS subs are optimized for full-power usage. With plenty of headroom to keep up with the most enthusiastic crowd and not run out of bass. So turn it up, and keep it up.”

I was expecting to see/feel/hear this at the demonstration but I got quite the opposite, bassboss was holding back. The speakers were never demonstrated to their full potential which then leaves unanswered questions as to how they will perform in the real world when pushed near their limits.

3. The SSP118 or ssp218 was not at the demo. These are the top favorites for DJ's and what I most wanted to hear.

4. The bassboss rep was clearly knowledgeable of the product and played the right material with low frequency content to demonstrate bassboss sound quality which separates them from consumer/pro-Sumer subwoofers. The other DJs wasted time with content that didn't go loooow or was of low quality and was therefore pointless.

But make no mistake bassboss is on some next level shit…... The sound quality was absolutely phenomenal. There was no doubt that these were the best subs I've ever heard in my life. There were moments when I was feeling stuff that I've never felt before in a subwoofer like the ground was shifting and it was completely effortless at low volume quite similar to a home theater system of great quality but BIGGGER. The subs were incredibly clean even a close distance with my ear against a sub, I could not detect any distortion whatsoever……... My subs can't do that lol

You get that with the Orbit Shifters as well and it's awesome. Hearing notes you never hear on other subs, even at super low volume it still fills a room and makes the hair stand up on your arms.
Going to a Danley demo this Thursday in Cocao, FL, should be a good one. I've heard most of the Danley line (and really like it) but never outside at volume for extended periods.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 8:16 AM - 23 May, 2018
Quote:

Man, what's funny is that I know a cat that has (I think) a SINGLE Bassboss, (not sure of the model), and someone asked him what the "limit" is in terms of sound, and he basically said, "There is no limit, lol", you just keep turning it up and it keeps getting louder...

At the time, I dismissed it as a joke....but now...
pdidy 9:36 PM - 24 May, 2018
Quote:
Question, being that the BassBoss subs as you mention are louder at 50hz to 28hz. I mostly play Dancehall Reggae, Soca, Hip Hop and House and some Afrobeats would the subharmonic on the DBX be useful in producing these low frequency to BassBoss type subs? Or is the music I play have the low enough frequency where I don't need it?

i have the subharmonic on the DBX but I would not suggest getting bassboss if the majority of your music does not naturally go low into the 30's hz area. But if your question is will the subharmonic synthesizer improved the bass on songs with Little bass while using the bassboss the answer is yes.
siroc5 4:43 PM - 25 May, 2018
Thanks pdidy
SG SOUNDS 12:00 PM - 26 May, 2018
Quote:
Thanks pdidy,
Pretty much what I was always told about BassBoss subs, they go low, and is what like about them, now that you mention your thoughts on the DJ18s considering getting them as i have a pair of dv12 and haven't give them a real limit testing being in the house in the basement. Unexpectedly surprised about the power situation at JK Pro Audio. I'm trying to make my way to see BassBoss Demo this August at the DJExpo.
Question, being that the BassBoss subs as you mention are louder at 50hz to 28hz. I mostly play Dancehall Reggae, Soca, Hip Hop and House and some Afrobeats would the subharmonic on the DBX be useful in producing these low frequency to BassBoss type subs? Or is the music I play have the low enough frequency where I don't need it? I know when i play Old Reggae Studio One it is definitely needed.

If you play alot of Dancehall Reggae and Soca like I do you would love the JTR OS subs..In my opinion Basdboss is more suited for EDM type djs..
pdidy 9:17 AM - 27 May, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks pdidy,

If you play alot of Dancehall Reggae and Soca like I do you would love the JTR OS subs..In my opinion Basdboss is more suited for EDM type djs..

I agree, EDM and the Trap style of hiphop with the LOW continuous basslines/tones. That's where Bassboss really shines. JTR Orbit shifters are better for all other genres even though they wont go as low.
Taipanic 3:12 PM - 29 May, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks pdidy,

I agree, EDM and the Trap style of hiphop with the LOW continuous basslines/tones. That's where Bassboss really shines. JTR Orbit shifters are better for all other genres even though they wont go as low.

I high pass my O.S. at 30hz
DeeJayOnyx 5:11 AM - 30 May, 2018
I use my SSP118 with live bands and never had any issues. It will put out whatever you feed the system, deep bass or regular kick drums. The amplifier module has a boost at 80Hz to get more punch out of the subwoofer. I heard that VS21 last December in Los Angeles demo and man that subwoofer is a beast and that ZV28 is designed for EDM or any deep bass material. Recently I have acquired a pair of DV12, and the sound is on the spot, like a touring rig and hifi combined. These speakers have a high gain before feedback than any speakers I have owed. I always get a good complement for good sound quality with the DV12.
Johnnynights 5:41 AM - 30 May, 2018
Quote:
I use my SSP118 with live bands and never had any issues. It will put out whatever you feed the system, deep bass or regular kick drums. The amplifier module has a boost at 80Hz to get more punch out of the subwoofer. I heard that VS21 last December in Los Angeles demo and man that subwoofer is a beast and that ZV28 is designed for EDM or any deep bass material. Recently I have acquired a pair of DV12, and the sound is on the spot, like a touring rig and hifi combined. These speakers have a high gain before feedback than any speakers I have owed. I always get a good complement for good sound quality with the DV12.

How you liking that ssp118?

I ordered 1 ssp218 hope I like it lol
kendoit 6:39 AM - 30 May, 2018
Bassboss is just in a different league I have the zv28
DeeJayOnyx 9:03 AM - 30 May, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

I bet you’ll love them! My subs never miss a heartbeat, it’s like a workhorse. You can beat the hell out of it, and it won’t backdown. The bass coming out of the sub is so clean and very addictive. One SSP118 subwoofer on a small venue is more than enough, it can actually cover a medium size venue. A friend of mine that does photography, calls the sub the massager, Lol! He covers a lot of events and distinctively knows the difference in the performance of the Bassboss sound system.
Johnnynights 3:22 PM - 30 May, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I bet you’ll love them! My subs never miss a heartbeat, it’s like a workhorse. You can beat the hell out of it, and it won’t backdown. The bass coming out of the sub is so clean and very addictive. One SSP118 subwoofer on a small venue is more than enough, it can actually cover a medium size venue. A friend of mine that does photography, calls the sub the massager, Lol! He covers a lot of events and distinctively knows the difference in the performance of the Bassboss sound system.

I'm super pumped to get my subs lol... but I gotta wait because there getting build I heard...after if I like the subs I will look into those dv12 tops,I like having a matching system...they are pricey though.
DeeJayOnyx 3:40 PM - 30 May, 2018
Yeah, the tuning on these speakers are top notch. This type of tuning you’ll only hear it with the professional touring rig. Bassboss made that possible in small package, not just a typical PA system that you can buy off the shelf.
DJ GaFFle 4:26 PM - 30 May, 2018
Bassboss seems like THE go-to sub right about now for the type of music/events we typically play.
siroc5 5:51 PM - 30 May, 2018
I concur on the DV12 to be able at times to just set the preset on full frequency and play without a sub and it seems there is one in the room speaks volume as to why I bought a pair DV12. TO be able to do a small venue and sound like you brought a sub and all you have is the tops playing with no real strain.
dj_soo 8:00 PM - 30 May, 2018
while obviously not the most accurate test in terms of fidelity, I found this demo of the DV12s and am pretty impressed:

Watchvimeo.com
siroc5 8:29 PM - 30 May, 2018
Yes Dj Soo
I've seen this video as well before making my purchase
siroc5 8:38 PM - 30 May, 2018
Another impressive video of the DV12 (same fidelity disclosure)

Watchwww.youtube.com
dj_soo 9:20 PM - 30 May, 2018
here's another - Watchwww.youtube.com

man those tops sound impressive.
CMOS 10:11 PM - 30 May, 2018
Thats a single top with no sub doing that?
DeeJayOnyx 10:56 PM - 30 May, 2018
Yes, just a single top! I did the video with that spl meter. I don’t have any affiliation with Bassboss. I’m just a regular joe like everyone else. :)
Johnnynights 11:11 PM - 30 May, 2018
I'm liking those dv12s...I heard some db technologies ingenia 3 speakers and they sound really good too I wonder how they compare...I'm sure the dv12 is better though.
Johnnynights 11:18 PM - 30 May, 2018
@DeeJayOnyx
Since the coverage pattern is 120 × 20 on the dv12s have you had any issues where you missing coverage?

I know most speakers are 90 × 60...
DeeJayOnyx 11:50 PM - 30 May, 2018
Quote:
@DeeJayOnyx
Since the coverage pattern is 120 × 20 on the dv12s have you had any issues where you missing coverage?

No issues with the dispersion! The only limitation with this speaker is when you setup on a theater with balcony and I’m pretty sure that should be a line array setup when it comes to those type of environment. Other than it can go almost anywhere. I use to own 4 QSC KLA12 use them in singles or pairs per side without too much problem, except the left side of the speaker doesn’t have an even coverage compared to the DV12. This was an opportunity for me to downsize my gear and owned a pair of Bassboss SSP118. It’s a chance for me to have an upgrade also have a matching Bassboss setup. The 120 degrees helps a lot on a wide venue. I had a moment with the k12’s wasn’t able to project on a wide venue, but the budget on that event was the biggest constraint at that time. This time it’s less rig to bring without disappointment with the client.
Taipanic 2:55 PM - 31 May, 2018
Quote:
@DeeJayOnyx

Perfect reason to have a pair of these:
bt-12.com
Super high quality, lets you get those speakers up high and angled downward to get proper coverage, even with that small vertical dispersion.
Johnnynights 4:39 PM - 31 May, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
@DeeJayOnyx

bt-12.com
Super high quality, lets you get those speakers up high and angled downward to get proper coverage, even with that small vertical dispersion.

Nice thanks for sharing Taipanic
Johnnynights 4:47 PM - 31 May, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
@DeeJayOnyx

No issues with the dispersion! The only limitation with this speaker is when you setup on a theater with balcony and I’m pretty sure that should be a line array setup when it comes to those type of environment. Other than it can go almost anywhere. I use to own 4 QSC KLA12 use them in singles or pairs per side without too much problem, except the left side of the speaker doesn’t have an even coverage compared to the DV12. This was an opportunity for me to downsize my gear and owned a pair of Bassboss SSP118. It’s a chance for me to have an upgrade also have a matching Bassboss setup. The 120 degrees helps a lot on a wide venue. I had a moment with the k12’s wasn’t able to project on a wide venue, but the budget on that event was the biggest constraint at that time. This time it’s less rig to bring without disappointment with the client.

Those qsc kla are some good sounding speakers..those dv12 are pricey but I'm sure well worth it..my dealer getting them next week I'm going to hear them and compare to other speakers..

So your pair of dv12 sounded better than 4 qsc kla 12 tops?
Taipanic 5:07 PM - 31 May, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
@DeeJayOnyx

bt-12.com

Nice thanks for sharing Taipanic

Used mine for the first time this past week. Super high quality, worked great with my super tall JTR Noesis 3TX tops - which could not be angled on stands with out a balancing device like this. Expensive, but worth the price if you can swing it. The higher, downward angled speakers allow you to project further into the room without blowing away the people in front.
DeeJayOnyx 6:34 PM - 31 May, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
@DeeJayOnyx

Those qsc kla are some good sounding speakers..those dv12 are pricey but I'm sure well worth it..my dealer getting them next week I'm going to hear them and compare to other speakers..

So your pair of dv12 sounded better than 4 qsc kla 12 tops?

It’s like night and day! DV12 are really smooth and it can handle the lows much better. KLA12 are good, but it didn’t have a lot of headroom. 2 Bassboss subs will run away from those 4 KLA12.
pdidy 11:59 PM - 31 May, 2018
Quote:
I'm liking those dv12s...I heard some db technologies ingenia 3 speakers and they sound really good too I wonder how they compare...I'm sure the dv12 is better though.

No way ya going to get that type of bass response from the db technologies ingenia but you will get the quality and clarity. The dv12 was the first 12in ive ever heard that could produce that small sub sound.
SG SOUNDS 1:48 AM - 1 June, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
@DeeJayOnyx

bt-12.com

thanks for the link need to check these out..with all these Bassboss talk how you think it matches up to our JTR systems..I must admit the online videos look awesome especially the DV12
pdidy 2:41 AM - 1 June, 2018
Quote:
@DeeJayOnyx

Quote:
@DeeJayOnyx

"The tight vertical pattern provides more consistent coverage over greater distances and minimizes ceiling and floor reflections, enhancing intelligibility." Also if you look at a dv12 you will notice the horn points downward a few degrees, Bassboss did this by design for better coverage. Simply put a dv12 6-7ft in the air and the room is covered.
pdidy 3:01 AM - 1 June, 2018
I basically do the same thing without issue with my JBL VRX932lap tops when used in singles and they are only 15 degrees vertical coverage.
Taipanic 2:31 PM - 1 June, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
@DeeJayOnyx

bt-12.com

thanks for the link need to check these out..with all these Bassboss talk how you think it matches up to our JTR systems..I must admit the online videos look awesome especially the DV12

All of the demos online look pretty impressive and all in all seems pretty legit. I still haven't heard any of the product line. Knowledgeable people who care about sound quality can make great sounding gear that combines Professional output with audiophile sound quality. Definitely want to do some compares between a lot of the high end gear - JTR, Danley, Bassboss, Fulcrum Acoustic, etc.... I believe they are all at that upper tier of sound quality - which one sounds best at any given time will depend on the variables - inside or out, room layout, music style, etc...
SG SOUNDS 2:36 PM - 1 June, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
@DeeJayOnyx

bt-12.com

All of the demos online look pretty impressive and all in all seems pretty legit. I still haven't heard any of the product line. Knowledgeable people who care about sound quality can make great sounding gear that combines Professional output with audiophile sound quality. Definitely want to do some compares between a lot of the high end gear - JTR, Danley, Bassboss, Fulcrum Acoustic, etc.... I believe they are all at that upper tier of sound quality - which one sounds best at any given time will depend on the variables - inside or out, room layout, music style, etc...

the 3txnoesis reproduction of music sounds so good you dont even need to eq it...would like to know how the DV12 compares to it...seems like the DV12 would win in the lower frequencies stand alone though
Taipanic 5:16 PM - 1 June, 2018
Quote:

the 3txnoesis reproduction of music sounds so good you dont even need to eq it...would like to know how the DV12 compares to it...seems like the DV12 would win in the lower frequencies stand alone though

The DV12 definitely goes lower, usable bass down to low 40s per the specs. I high pass the Noesis at 80. I'd rather have the midbass punch out of the Noesis woofers than have them try to be a sub as well. I always use subs and prefer a 4 way setup over a three way, especially for the House Music gigs I often do, where there is a lot of nuanced bass. A pair of the DV12s would be nice to have, another tool to use. I would more likely replace my Yamaha DSR112s though, rather than the Noesis.
DeeJayOnyx 5:29 PM - 1 June, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

The DV12 definitely goes lower, usable bass down to low 40s per the specs. I high pass the Noesis at 80. I'd rather have the midbass punch out of the Noesis woofers than have them try to be a sub as well. I always use subs and prefer a 4 way setup over a three way, especially for the House Music gigs I often do, where there is a lot of nuanced bass. A pair of the DV12s would be nice to have, another tool to use. I would more likely replace my Yamaha DSR112s though, rather than the Noesis.

Nothing’s wrong with that! Everyone has their own preference, I just want a system that is lightweight also capable and scalable.
dj_soo 6:12 PM - 1 June, 2018
wait, so downward angled placement higher up is actually superior to a regular setup?

I suppose for most dancefloors, it makes sense since you don't need sound projecting above the speaker level unless you're dealing with risers or something. Will have to try it out for my next gig...
Taipanic 1:34 PM - 4 June, 2018
Quote:
wait, so downward angled placement higher up is actually superior to a regular setup?

I suppose for most dancefloors, it makes sense since you don't need sound projecting above the speaker level unless you're dealing with risers or something. Will have to try it out for my next gig...

Sure, you have the speaker 6-7' or higher in the air, mids & highs not being absorbed by bodies so the sound travels farther into the room. Being angled properly will keep excess sound from bouncing off of the walls or being too far above heads to have good impact. It will also not blast the people in the front, as much of the db will be above their head but will provide a more even spl throughout the area. The BT-12 Tilters are infinitely adjustable, making it super easy to adjust to the room & crowd.
Taipanic 1:38 PM - 4 June, 2018
Here's a pic from this weekend where I provided sound & lighting (did not DJ). Greek graduation party, around 500 people in attendance.
photos.app.goo.gl
siroc5 1:51 PM - 4 June, 2018
Taipanic, what speakers were you providing in terms of sub in the pic? I know the tops are the JTR Noesis.

On another note just wanted to verify, I knew about BassBoss back when they were known as BassMaxx. I attended a Sub woofer shoot out long ago where various companies brought in their subs. JTR at the time demo'd the Growlers. BassBoss (BassMaxx at the time) demo'd a pair of speakers that were called Trips. It was a box with three 12inch woofers in them each, phenomenal sound. This was about almost 11 years ago. People at attendance were saying that Jeff of JTR was a protege or got some skill sets from David Lee from BassBoss. Is this true? They both make great speakers and I own them both.
Taipanic 5:28 PM - 4 June, 2018
Quote:
Taipanic, what speakers were you providing in terms of sub in the pic? I know the tops are the JTR Noesis.

On another note just wanted to verify, I knew about BassBoss back when they were known as BassMaxx. I attended a Sub woofer shoot out long ago where various companies brought in their subs. JTR at the time demo'd the Growlers. BassBoss (BassMaxx at the time) demo'd a pair of speakers that were called Trips. It was a box with three 12inch woofers in them each, phenomenal sound. This was about almost 11 years ago. People at attendance were saying that Jeff of JTR was a protege or got some skill sets from David Lee from BassBoss. Is this true? They both make great speakers and I own them both.

The subs in this pic are two Yorkville ES18s on the outside and 2 LS801s in the center. I did not use my Orbit Shifters for this show.
I did not think there was any connection between Jeff & David but I am not sure on that. Jeff is a stand up guy that is a straight shooter and it seems David is as well. Hopefully there will some sort of Bassboss demo in the Florida area in the near future, I'd like to check out the complete product line. Just went to a Danley demo in Cocoa two weeks ago, they demo'ed everything from the SM80s and Mini15s to Jerichos and BC415 subs, super impressive!
musicnieto 7:18 PM - 4 June, 2018
I currently own a set of the DV8 Tops and the SSP118s. Ive had them for almost 1.5 years. What i can tell you is that the Subs respond very well. For a single 18 you get some amazing low end. I'm impressed with the quality of bass for a self-powered speaker.

I do a lot of mobile work and the one thing about self-powered speakers is that all the affordable brands just don't sound good long term. The first few gigs they sound great but after a while they just lose it.

As for the DV8 Tops i was highly disappointed. They are not good for mobile work. The digital processing has them overly compressed and you will get terrible microphone response on the speakers. You can never get in front of the music when speaking.

They have been resorted as Studio Monitors.

Def recommend the subs.
siroc5 7:50 PM - 4 June, 2018
Quote:
I currently own a set of the DV8 Tops and the SSP118s. Ive had them for almost 1.5 years. What i can tell you is that the Subs respond very well. For a single 18 you get some amazing low end. I'm impressed with the quality of bass for a self-powered speaker.

I do a lot of mobile work and the one thing about self-powered speakers is that all the affordable brands just don't sound good long term. The first few gigs they sound great but after a while they just lose it.

As for the DV8 Tops i was highly disappointed. They are not good for mobile work. The digital processing has them overly compressed and you will get terrible microphone response on the speakers. You can never get in front of the music when speaking.

Surprise to hear about the DV8. I own DV12 and haven't experience those problems. Did you talk to someone at BassBoss about it and maybe they can switch out or compromise on getting something better for your mobile gigs?

Def recommend the subs.
dj_soo 10:44 PM - 4 June, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

Sure, you have the speaker 6-7' or higher in the air, mids & highs not being absorbed by bodies so the sound travels farther into the room. Being angled properly will keep excess sound from bouncing off of the walls or being too far above heads to have good impact. It will also not blast the people in the front, as much of the db will be above their head but will provide a more even spl throughout the area. The BT-12 Tilters are infinitely adjustable, making it super easy to adjust to the room & crowd.

I tried it at my gig saturday and it sounded as good as could be given the nightmare acoustical properties of the room (boxy room, 30 foot ceilings, all concrete).

I use Yamaha DXR 10s so they have a built in angle mount and at 32 lbs, there's way less danger of being knocked over on stands high up (although I had them sub mounted). Think I'm going to go this route as much as I can from now on.

I used to think it would result in a sacrifice of throw given the downward angle so I usually reserved it for smaller rooms, but I never thought it through properly considering how the 60 degree vertical dispersion works on those tops.
DeeJayOnyx 9:59 AM - 5 June, 2018
Quote:

Def recommend the subs.

What preset do you use? Speaker will not create a loop unless your gain are not set properly and ring out the room if you’re trying to push them to the limit. Compression isn’t relative to feedback. DV8 has a low cutoff at 60Hz and Bassboss speaker have the most dynamic response. My Dv12 have a high gain before feedback and I would expect the same tuning.
Taipanic 1:35 PM - 5 June, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I tried it at my gig saturday and it sounded as good as could be given the nightmare acoustical properties of the room (boxy room, 30 foot ceilings, all concrete).

I use Yamaha DXR 10s so they have a built in angle mount and at 32 lbs, there's way less danger of being knocked over on stands high up (although I had them sub mounted). Think I'm going to go this route as much as I can from now on.

I used to think it would result in a sacrifice of throw given the downward angle so I usually reserved it for smaller rooms, but I never thought it through properly considering how the 60 degree vertical dispersion works on those tops.

Awesome, glad it helped. Another tool to use to possibly improve the sound, always go with what sounds best for any given room.
deejaybman 12:12 AM - 22 August, 2018
Quote:

Jeff used to work for Tom Danley once upon a time.
Taipanic 5:59 PM - 22 August, 2018
Quote:

At this gig we had Yorkville LS801s and ES18s, 5 of them in total.
SG SOUNDS 5:47 AM - 27 November, 2018
Those of you with the Bassboss boxes how do you run them straight from a mixer board or driversrack? How do you eq/tune them?

Anyone using the 2v18 or the ssp218 how do they sound with reggae or soca music?
pdidy 7:41 PM - 27 November, 2018
Quote:
Those of you with the Bassboss boxes how do you run them straight from a mixer board or driversrack? How do you eq/tune them?

Anyone using the 2v18 or the ssp218 how do they sound with reggae or soca music?

Reggae and Soca do not go ultra low so they would perform like a regular sub. Bassboss needs the right content in order to show its superiority to other subs. So if you have music does not have a lot of low 30 Hz content you won't notice anything "special" but they will sound good.
DJ Reflex 11:17 PM - 27 November, 2018
I was hired (at the last minute) to provide sound for a local up-scale restaurant for their "Little Black Dress" party last Wed. I brought in 4 Mackie SRM 450's and two Bassboss SSP118 subs... Absolutely rocked the place! The bass was chest pounding even in the crowded room. I got several compliments on the sound and some said that it sounded better than the main stage (in another room). The Mackies were about at capacity and a bit warm, but held on all night. The Bassboss subs, however were only turned up to 5/6 out of 10. Not even close to capacity and still causing earthquakes. I wanted to turn them up to 11, but the bar did not want the bottles to rattle off the shelf!
pdidy 2:28 AM - 28 November, 2018
Quote:
I was hired (at the last minute) to provide sound for a local up-scale restaurant for their "Little Black Dress" party last Wed. I brought in 4 Mackie SRM 450's and two Bassboss SSP118 subs... Absolutely rocked the place! The bass was chest pounding even in the crowded room. I got several compliments on the sound and some said that it sounded better than the main stage (in another room). The Mackies were about at capacity and a bit warm, but held on all night. The Bassboss subs, however were only turned up to 5/6 out of 10. Not even close to capacity and still causing earthquakes. I wanted to turn them up to 11, but the bar did not want the bottles to rattle off the shelf!

I believe all the way up at 10 is unity or 0db on bassboss. Thats what they told me when I went to demo.
pdidy 2:35 AM - 28 November, 2018
DJ Reflex .....Oh I get it now, the Mackie could not keep up so the bassboss needed to be turned down to 5/6. Plus it was still more bass then the venue could handle.....
pdidy 2:40 AM - 28 November, 2018
RIDDIMNBLUES, with the right low content the bassboss easily destroys my JBL VRX918sp subs.
DJ Reflex 11:54 PM - 28 November, 2018
Quote:
DJ Reflex .....Oh I get it now, the Mackie could not keep up so the bassboss needed to be turned down to 5/6. Plus it was still more bass then the venue could handle.....

Yes - That's exactly what I was getting at! :)
Johnnynights 5:22 AM - 29 November, 2018
Quote:

I run my ssp218 traight from my ddjsx2 you don't need no extra processing stuff with these....just plug and play...to me they sound really good out of the box...when I first got mine it was pretty tight sounding now that I broke them in they sound good...

With soca music and reggae they sound awesome one of my buddies plays a lot of reggae and he loves his 2 ssp118,however if you have music that goes low these subs will outshine most of the other subs.
deejaybman 6:41 AM - 30 November, 2018
I went to a BassBoss demo earlier this month and heard a block of 4 ZV28's and whoa. Had a chance to talk speakers with David Lee for a few hours and he let me demo a few songs that I thought would be perfect for the subs. I never heard or felt "Bass I Love You" the way I did prior to those ZV28's.
SG SOUNDS 12:41 PM - 30 November, 2018
Quote:
I went to a BassBoss demo earlier this month and heard a block of 4 ZV28's and whoa. Had a chance to talk speakers with David Lee for a few hours and he let me demo a few songs that I thought would be perfect for the subs. I never heard or felt "Bass I Love You" the way I did prior to those ZV28's.

You own Orbit Shifters correct?
deejaybman 1:24 PM - 30 November, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

Yes Orbit Shifters and Captivator 218 Pros.
DJ GaFFle 3:45 PM - 30 November, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Now YOU KNOW folks want to know how you feel about the ZV28's vs. the Orbit Shifters... :-)
SG SOUNDS 4:18 PM - 30 November, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Now YOU KNOW folks want to know how you feel about the ZV28's vs. the Orbit Shifters... :-)

lol that's why I asked the question lol, so deejaybman what's your thoughts on the Orbit Shifter compared to the ZV28 since you actually heard the ZV28????
deejaybman 12:44 AM - 1 December, 2018
I'll try not to make this post biased because of my relationship with JTR Speakers but both the OS and ZV28 give me blurred vision when standing in front of a block of 4 but the ZV28 goes lower which I already knew. A slightly better comparison would be the Captivator 218 Pro/ZV28 since both are powered dual 18's and they both go lower than the OS however, I think the OS would be louder above 35hz.

Output/Sound

1. ZV28 - goes the lowest (24hz)
2. Captivator 218 Pro - goes lower than the OS (27hz)
3. Orbit Shifter - (37hz but gets louder than the Cap)

Portability:

1. Orbit Shifter - Easiest to maneuver because the driver is in the center of the cabinet and has casters on the back.

2. Captivator 218 Pro - Not as easy to tilt back because all of the weight is in the front but like the OS it also has casters.

3. ZV28 - No casters but comes with a caster board for an additional price. It's FRICKIN huge but that's why it sounds so good. If you were to lay 1 JBL SRX 828 behind the other, that's how deep the ZV28 is.

Hope this helps.
DJ GaFFle 1:17 AM - 1 December, 2018
Wow...that’s massive! So I wonder if they fit in most SUVs.
deejaybman 1:43 AM - 1 December, 2018
Quote:

Good question.
577er 3:29 AM - 1 December, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

Good question.

At 225 lbs I don’t think “fitting” in an SUV is real the issue, it would be getting it back out.
DJ Reflex 3:34 AM - 1 December, 2018
I ended up mounting casters on the back of my Bassboss SSP 118's. Two of the three at least. I wanted to keep one clear for reverse cardioid setups. I told Bassboss rep that I was drilling holes in the cabinet just days after I bought them to install wheels! He chuckled at that! BTW _ I picked up a good set of QSC "anti-rattle" casters from a friend. They worked great.
Hanginon 4:16 AM - 1 December, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Good question.

At 225 lbs I don’t think “fitting” in an SUV is real the issue, it would be getting it back out.

Once you're at this level, subs like a (used) Fohhn PS-9, which IMHO can absolutely destroy a double 18", should be considered.
DeeJayOnyx 1:38 PM - 1 December, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Good question.

Once you're at this level, subs like a (used) Fohhn PS-9, which IMHO can absolutely destroy a double 18", should be considered.

Why pay more if you can settle with VS21 against a used PS-9. I doubt if that can outperform it when it comes to performance. Bassboss may not have the bells and whistles like fohhn, but it can do the job for a fraction of a price.
Hanginon 2:54 PM - 1 December, 2018
Quote:
Why pay more if you can settle with VS21 against a used PS-9. I doubt if that can outperform it when it comes to performance. Bassboss may not have the bells and whistles like fohhn, but it can do the job for a fraction of a price.

I have never heard a VS21 - I've hear PS-9. The 21" driver is servo controlled - loud and deep like a 21", fast and hard hitting like a 15". I'm surprised Fohhn discontinued them.

If the VS21 sounds like that then, yes, it too should be considered
deejaybman 6:38 PM - 2 December, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Good question.

The VS21 was also another one of my favorites from that demo.
deejaybman 6:41 PM - 2 December, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Good question.

From experience with other subwoofers like a 45" high sub that's 22" wide, it's as simple as tilting and push/lift into the truck (Ford Explorer). Getting out was easier. I let gravity do the work.
djcrap 6:01 PM - 13 August, 2019
Need help over here
serato.com