DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

70's Music pool?

DJ Akadmx 4:45 AM - 8 May, 2018
Hi, I was wondering if anyone knows a good DJ pool to get 70's music. I got asked to DJ a 70's themed party and I have quite a bit of 70's but not enough to last a whole night. Before buying each individual song, I was hoping I could get some tips on where to find songs? Any idea is appreciated. Thank You.
deezlee 4:47 AM - 8 May, 2018
Discogs :)
dj_soo 7:18 AM - 8 May, 2018
record pools are for new music - that's the whole point of pools.

There are a few with some back catalogs of classic music, but by and large, it's more of a bonus than the focus of a pool.
DJ Matty Stiles 12:24 PM - 8 May, 2018
we're talking years ago, but I heard barbangerz had a good back catalogue. LNRP has a fantastic hip hop back catalogue.

Soo is right tho. Record Pools were made to break new tracks, so having a 70's collection kind of goes against that principal
DJ Matty Stiles 12:24 PM - 8 May, 2018
Quote:

My man! ;)
popnwave 2:35 PM - 8 May, 2018
I say discogs as well. You can find all sorts of discs from 80s/90s era pools that will have some cool 70s throwbacks on them (think Hot Tracks, Disconet).
fvckJuly 7:28 AM - 9 May, 2018
Quote:

came here to say this, 100%. would feel soooo wrong to spin disco in serato
DJ Matty Stiles 10:50 AM - 9 May, 2018
im a little ignorant here, and im sure there are tonnes of vinyl-only 70s jams, but wouldnt the majority of 70s throwbacks be on itunes?
popnwave 3:05 PM - 9 May, 2018
Quote:
im a little ignorant here, and im sure there are tonnes of vinyl-only 70s jams, but wouldnt the majority of 70s throwbacks be on itunes?

Yeah in their album and MAYBE single/7" version. Getting a more mixing friendly cut from a pool is always nice.
Aptidda 11:10 PM - 9 May, 2018
who on earth listens to anything from the 70's? aren't all those people dead by now?
popnwave 11:15 PM - 9 May, 2018
A lot show up to weddings.

And there are a couple of pop up nights that do it in my market.
deezlee 3:08 AM - 10 May, 2018
Who listens to funk and soul and...
Ok I guess I'm old.
DJ Unique 5:10 AM - 10 May, 2018
Quote:
Who listens to funk and soul and...
Ok I guess I'm old.

LOL

Best music ever!!!
DJ Matty Stiles 5:52 AM - 10 May, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah in their album and MAYBE single/7" version. Getting a more mixing friendly cut from a pool is always nice.

I get you. This isn’t 70s but I was trying to find an extended version of eve and drag-on’s “got what you need” and it was only on vinyl. No instrumental exists and that release has some remixes and edits of the song on there unavailable anywhere else. So I guess it’s the same with 70s.
Clubber1970 9:17 AM - 10 May, 2018
I listen to 70s Music and yes am a little bit older and not yet dead. Disco, Funk and Soul era was fantastic. A lot of modern house tracks based on this music.
@Aptidda: Don‘t disrespect other musical taste here.
deezlee 3:52 PM - 10 May, 2018
Just a heads up. Most people that like 70s music don't want to hear ableton warped redrums and stuff. Play the real songs.
popnwave 4:10 PM - 10 May, 2018
That's for sure... a lot of those redrums are abominations. I will compromise on stuff that has been quantized though.
DJ Matty Stiles 6:21 AM - 11 May, 2018
If I ever warp or quantize old music, its usually only the intro that I made myself in ableton either from a quiet part of the song or from an instrumental. Then from the first drop, the rest of the song is usually untouched and un-warped. Occasionally I will apply compression, particularly if its a vinyl rip and I need it to keep up with the new tracks which are victim to the "loudness wars"
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 11:55 AM - 11 May, 2018
Quote:
record pools are for new music - that's the whole point of pools.

There are a few with some back catalogs of classic music, but by and large, it's more of a bonus than the focus of a pool.

What Soo said right there.... www.idjpool.com has a classics section as a bonus that has some 70's. Would be worth a try if you are in the market for a pool for newer music also.

What I do when I have decades gigs like that is go to this website -www.musicvf.com (sorted by decade -1970's) and use it to create playlists and then go to pools or itunes to get what I need.

Also works good for Class reunions as you get older. Scan the graduation year and then look at songs that were hot 3-6 years prior in their teens.
DJ Matty Stiles 10:21 PM - 11 May, 2018
Quote:
Also works good for Class reunions as you get older. Scan the graduation year and then look at songs that were hot 3-6 years prior in their teens.

Genius