Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Rane 72 MIDI mapping

YZ 4:24 PM - 6 May, 2018
Is there a tutorial\video for this somewhere? Which banks can I use, how to set, etc? MIDI is lighting up for me so I can't change anything? Serato DJ Pro (running the latest).
YZ 4:33 PM - 6 May, 2018
meant to say the MIDI button in Serato is NOT lighting up for me.
RR437T 5:20 PM - 6 May, 2018
I don't think you can re-map your Rane because its Serato enabled. With your Rane plugged in, you can map a non Serato midi controller. As far as a tutorial goes, you don't need one. Once you plug in a controller that can be mapped, its self explanatory.
YZ 8:42 PM - 6 May, 2018
No I should be able to remap them, I could on the 62.
YZ 9:02 PM - 6 May, 2018
Found it... sorry.

"Custom Pad Sets" in the manual
YZ 3:03 PM - 7 May, 2018
Ok, so who knows how to delete cue points when using a custom pad set? If I hold down shift and the cue point I want to delete it does nothing. I have to go back out into the built-in CUE section to delete it.

Matter of fact, where is the entire map of exactly which buttons are mappable, I need more clarity on this process...
haveboard 4:18 AM - 3 October, 2018
I wish I had my hands on a 72 so I could build some custom mappings.
dj_soo 5:39 PM - 3 October, 2018
Quote:
Ok, so who knows how to delete cue points when using a custom pad set? If I hold down shift and the cue point I want to delete it does nothing. I have to go back out into the built-in CUE section to delete it.

Matter of fact, where is the entire map of exactly which buttons are mappable, I need more clarity on this process...

You can’t. Shift functionality isn’t mappable within serato. Might be a way to hack it in the midi file, but I can’t figure that shit out myself.
haveboard 5:53 PM - 3 October, 2018
it's not "hacking", it's simply writing the XML by hand. I've done it for the s9 but I don't have a 72 so my hands are kind of tied.

If someone wants to make a custom mapping for the user modes with just the cue triggers and send me the xml I can attempt to work with you to create the shift layer as well
dj_soo 6:18 PM - 3 October, 2018
Do you have a tutorial resource? Is it possible to overwrite the default mappings or is it just the user pages?
haveboard 6:26 PM - 3 October, 2018
Quote:
Do you have a tutorial resource? Is it possible to overwrite the default mappings or is it just the user pages?

You can read about my s9 mapping I released here: djhaveboard.com

I am a developer and learned a lot of this on my own with trial and error and a lot of googling.
technicaltitch 9:29 PM - 11 April, 2019
@haveboard I am a dev too, but I have been unable to figure out how the MIDI command maps to a modifier XML tag.

I installed MIDI Monitor and get a channel (eg, 6) and data (something like "G#-2 127").

My modifier tag is something like:

<modifier_1 deck_set="Default" deck_id="0" slot_id="0" operator="equal" cmp_value="off"/>

How do I go from the MIDI channel and data to deck_id, slot_id, operator and cmp_value? Nothing worked for me.

More confusing, djtechtools says you should set up your modifier with:

<control channel="4" event_type="Note On" control="20">
<userio event="click">
<modifier_3>
<translation action_on="any" behaviour="explicit"/>
</modifier_3>
</userio>
</control>

What is that control number? Couldn't get this working either!

(djtechtools link is djtechtools.com)

Huge thanks for any pointers.
technicaltitch 3:42 PM - 15 April, 2019
I have written to Rane asking (begging) them to enable the three pad page buttons per deck they pointlessly disable when you close Serato.

I did discover that you can still access the user pages on these buttons (eg, shift+cue page).

Everything sends out MIDI signals, if they fix this it'll be fantastically mappable!
haveboard 4:36 PM - 15 April, 2019
Man, I need a 72 and way more hours in the day.
technicaltitch 6:30 PM - 15 April, 2019
Hey @haveboard, we all need a Seventy Two..

Any tips on how you discovered what number goes in that property `control=20`?
haveboard 6:32 PM - 15 April, 2019
@technicaltitch trial and error.

pen and paper, compuetr and mixer
technicaltitch 6:57 PM - 15 April, 2019
Wow. Thanks! I guess you map the button then save, and then open the xml Serato created. Was hoping there was a less time consuming approach!
haveboard 7:54 PM - 15 April, 2019
@technicaltitch cant expect this stuff to be handed to yo on a platter.
technicaltitch 8:12 PM - 15 April, 2019
@haveboard I come from Traktor (and every single other audio software out there), where MIDI mapping isn't considered a privilege, or even a feature. I'm thinking investing time in Bome MIDI translator might be time better spent.
haveboard 8:18 PM - 15 April, 2019
@technicaltitch I learned the control numbers of the s9 this way and it has since paid off tremendously in getting custom mappings made. Probably will be another month or so before I have a 72 and will do the same thing. Just because the midi information is not provided as documentation doesn't mean you cant easily figure it out. I'm not sure what you mean by "a privilege, or even a feature"
technicaltitch 9:04 PM - 16 April, 2019
On "a privilege" I was defending my expectation to have this stuff provided on a platter (great pun, by the way!). I think Serato should release the documentation on this for a start. They are pretty late to the game not supporting midi, I can't think of another pro audio software package that doesn't have a gui for it, never mind some cryptic xml standard that you need a software developer to reverse engineer.

I'm having some success with Bome MIDI translator. It saves me having to figure out the xml semantics and offers some great additional flexibility. For example I've implemented a "don't load into playing deck" function. The Serato option just blocks loading into a playing deck whether or not it's live, but I usually leave a deck playing via DVS to preview next tunes. My Bome mapping monitors the faders and loads into whichever isn't playing through to master. I'm aiming for implementing a track preview deck, now looking for a way to jump to 40%/96 beats/sth into the song, so I can quickly preview tracks.
technicaltitch 9:11 PM - 16 April, 2019
You'll enjoy the Seventy Two. No idea about the S9 but absolutely everything on the Seventy Two sends midi, it's a midi hackers dream. Faders are heavy and effects UI is terrible, but the sound quality is absolutely mind blowing, better than my audiophile multibit Schiit DAC.
the smooth operator 6:41 AM - 23 April, 2019
ANY LUCK WITH THE MAP OF THE MIDI YET??? LOL
done84 4:12 AM - 16 November, 2019
Quote:
@haveboard I am a dev too, but I have been unable to figure out how the MIDI command maps to a modifier XML tag.

I installed MIDI Monitor and get a channel (eg, 6) and data (something like "G#-2 127").

My modifier tag is something like:

<modifier_1 deck_set="Default" deck_id="0" slot_id="0" operator="equal" cmp_value="off"/>

How do I go from the MIDI channel and data to deck_id, slot_id, operator and cmp_value? Nothing worked for me.

More confusing, djtechtools says you should set up your modifier with:

<control channel="4" event_type="Note On" control="20">
[u]
<modifier_3>
<translation action_on="any" behaviour="explicit"/>
</modifier_3>
</userio>
</control>

What is that control number? Couldn't get this working either!

(djtechtools link is djtechtools.com)

Huge thanks for any pointers.

Better a late answer than none right?
You viewing MIDI monitor info with notes instead of data (numbers)

"20" is a G#-1, if you want to know which data a button sends to map to a modifier go to MIDI Monitor preferences and change "Note Format" to Data. Press the MIDI button and you will see the data number listed, it's the first one, then you can use it in your XML.

hoverboard's XML has no modifiers because the S9 doesn't need them, in each mode the buttons send different data or use a different MIDI channel.
DJ SYZER 7:31 PM - 23 November, 2019
Quote:

Matter of fact, where is the entire map of exactly which buttons are mappable, I need more clarity on this process...[/quote

Did ever figure this out?I might be able to help.
technicaltitch 5:25 PM - 6 February, 2022
THANK YOU @done84, didn't know about that option! (Better very, very late than never!)
DJ Quartz 7:16 AM - 7 February, 2022
There is a lot you can do with the midi mapping on the 72.

I love how easy it is to switch to the user pages and back to the normal functions.