Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Rane 72 Serato DJ Pro How would you map the functions

Ollieboy 6:07 PM - 1 May, 2018
Wonder if we can put these suggestions in one spot. So given the current hardware layout of the 72 how would you remap or adjust the functions in a way that would satisfy most users? (Remember you can't change the layout)

I would start by making all effects post fader.
SirForce 4:35 AM - 5 May, 2018
Quote:

+1 can't believe the mic's were added to the USB audio vs send/return for FX like in 61/62/64 mixers.

Selecting the Flex FX takes too many steps, it needs to be simple, quick... for example on the 62 easy to pick an effect dedicated buttons - no big deal it has a touch screen. On the 62 it has a joystick to change parameters ... again, screen and encoder knobs... should be doable. maybe have it customizable to have a bank of 6 preferred effects to be easily switched between... and of course remember these between power off/on cycles.

The effects are a key selling point of this mixer please improve the user experience.

btw- beat breaker #6 iirc is pretty cool, reminds me of the freestyle edits in the late 80's

The pad modes are a bit of a mystery too, still trying to memorize which mode its in based on button state.
Ollieboy 4:39 PM - 5 May, 2018
I would also put an "Unstack Mode" For nonbattle DJs who just want to use one. Eiminates having to deselect an FX when activating the other. Streamlines the process and will address the gripes of DJs who just want to jump from one Fx to another quickly. Set it as the Shift+TouchFx button.
Ollieboy 4:47 PM - 5 May, 2018
Actually be easier to put the "Unstack Mode" in the Software.
DJ Tecniq 4:51 PM - 5 May, 2018
S9 is more user friendly for fx...no need to toggle through the screen to switch fx...too many steps.
YZ 3:41 PM - 6 May, 2018
I don't use FX, never even got into my 62's effect in depth over the 5+ yrs I've had it... HOWEVER, yea the UX here is a bit cumbersome with this touch screen. They need to do some Q&A and release an update. I tried messing with it out of the box for a few minutes and said screw it. Early adopter, they'll fix. In the meantime I'd find a way to midi map what you need.
05spoof 7:12 PM - 6 May, 2018
Map SYNC to all buttons...

Seriously... Shift + toggle switch down potion for instant doubles.
Aptidda 3:46 PM - 7 May, 2018
Everything is mapped fine, I wouldn't change anything.
SG SOUNDS 3:48 AM - 8 May, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

+1 can't believe the mic's were added to the USB audio vs send/return for FX like in 61/62/64 mixers.

Selecting the Flex FX takes too many steps, it needs to be simple, quick... for example on the 62 easy to pick an effect dedicated buttons - no big deal it has a touch screen. On the 62 it has a joystick to change parameters ... again, screen and encoder knobs... should be doable. maybe have it customizable to have a bank of 6 preferred effects to be easily switched between... and of course remember these between power off/on cycles.

The effects are a key selling point of this mixer please improve the user experience.

btw- beat breaker #6 iirc is pretty cool, reminds me of the freestyle edits in the late 80's

The pad modes are a bit of a mystery too, still trying to memorize which mode its in based on button state.
SG SOUNDS 3:48 AM - 8 May, 2018
+1
YZ 3:04 AM - 22 January, 2020
Back to this old shit (RIP Aptidda), how does one map Instant Doubles like on the 70 to on the 72?
dj_soo 3:14 AM - 22 January, 2020
If you're looking for a single button push, instead of using one of the user custom pages, you can remap both the key sync and the sync buttons on the waveform screen, so if you don't use either of those controls, it's open for you to map to the instant doubles function.
YZ 3:27 AM - 22 January, 2020
Quote:
If you're looking for a single button push, instead of using one of the user custom pages, you can remap both the key sync and the sync buttons on the waveform screen, so if you don't use either of those controls, it's open for you to map to the instant doubles function.

my man
SirForce 3:32 AM - 22 January, 2020
Wow never occurred to me to remap screen buttons. Too. Bad there isn’t a custom screen mode with a bunch of buttons to map.
dj_soo 4:02 AM - 22 January, 2020
If you hold down shift and hit one of the key sync buttons, it turns it into a pitch lock on/off as well.
DJMIYAGI 9:01 PM - 22 January, 2020
I remapped the 2 outer parameter buttons to instant doubles on my 72. Hoping Serato gives us the option to map silent cue so I can map the 2 inner buttons. Add a mag 4 and my 72 will have everything I like about the 70.
dj_soo 9:50 PM - 22 January, 2020
When I remap my parameter buttons, it remaps every page so that doesn't really work for me as I do use the parameter buttons on things like loop roll and sampler. I would love to remap them to key shifting just on the cues page so I don't have to access the custom user pages anymore.
DJMIYAGI 10:06 PM - 22 January, 2020
Quote:
When I remap my parameter buttons, it remaps every page so that doesn't really work for me as I do use the parameter buttons on things like loop roll and sampler.

I actually prefer it that way so the buttons are the same no matter what pad function is selected. I just set my loop roll values to the smallest when I open Serato and I only use a few samples at most. To each his own I guess!
dj_soo 10:37 PM - 22 January, 2020
I use beat jump a lot so I'm constantly having to move between high and low numbers.
dj_soo 9:55 PM - 24 January, 2020
So I just figured out that Shift-Sync on the waveform screen will map to separate controls as well. So you get a total of 6 controls on the screen that are custom mappable.

Also, check this out: serato.com

Someone found the Silent Cue feature hidden away in the midi code - this is a way to implement it in the 72, although you need to know a bit about midi XML editing to map to a specific control.
DJMIYAGI 9:57 PM - 24 January, 2020
Quote:
So I just figured out that Shift-Sync on the waveform screen will map to separate controls as well. So you get a total of 6 controls on the screen that are custom mappable.

Also, check this out: serato.com

Someone found the Silent Cue feature hidden away in the midi code - this is a way to implement it in the 72, although you need to know a bit about midi XML editing to map to a specific control.

Rane also confirmed silent cue is coming to the 72 after the release of the 70
raneforum.com
dj_soo 10:06 PM - 24 January, 2020
yup, but you can play with it right now!

Just got it working on mine - I remapped the sync button for silent cue and it's good to go
DJMIYAGI 10:08 PM - 24 January, 2020
Quote:
I remapped the sync button for silent cue and it's good to go

Sync on the screen or pad in transport mode?
dj_soo 10:11 PM - 24 January, 2020
screen pad
dj_soo 10:12 PM - 24 January, 2020
DJ Tracktion 7:34 PM - 26 January, 2020
Quote:
I remapped the 2 outer parameter buttons to instant doubles on my 72. Hoping Serato gives us the option to map silent cue so I can map the 2 inner buttons. Add a mag 4 and my 72 will have everything I like about the 70.

How'd you do this?

I went to midi - clicked instant doubles to assign midi - pushed the parameter button on the 72.....and nothing :-/
DJ Tracktion 7:38 PM - 26 January, 2020
Aaaaaaaand, I figured it out.
DJ Tracktion 7:59 PM - 26 January, 2020
Ok, How bout mapping pitch bend to the Rane Twelve touch strip?

I don't use the search so figured I can map the pitch bend "-" & "+" to that but when I do, no matter what setting I put it on (absolute, relative binary offset, etc) the "+" just stays on and slowly keeps pitch bending the track up until it's an Alvin & the Chipmunks remix and pressing the pad it was assigned to again doesn't shut it off.

Any insight?
dj_soo 8:12 PM - 26 January, 2020
I used to map effect depths to the touch strip on my VCI 380, but that was a knob control on serato - I would assume you’d need to get into the code and give it some major edits to get it working the way you want, but I have no idea how you’d do that.
DJMIYAGI 11:58 PM - 27 January, 2020
My latest mapping
www.facebook.com