DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Shure Discontinuing All Phono Products (goodbye N447's)

djaction 12:34 PM - 1 May, 2018
www.shure.com

Quote:

Niles, IL., May 1, 2018—For more than 90 years, Shure has been committed to manufacturing and delivering products of the highest quality, reliability, and value. This commitment requires consistency in materials, processes, and testing, as well the capacity to react to fluctuations in demand.

In recent years, the ability to maintain our exacting standards in the Phonograph Cartridge product category has been challenged, resulting in cost and delivery impacts that are inconsistent with the Shure brand promise.

In light of these conditions, and after thorough evaluation, we have made the difficult decision to discontinue production of Shure Phono products effective Summer 2018.

Given our decades-long history of participation in the Phono category, we recognize that this decision may come as a disappointment to our channel partners and end users.

We are grateful for the support and loyalty demonstrated for Shure Phono products through the years and we are proud of the impact that these products have made on our customers’ lives and the reputation of the Shure brand. We believe that the proud legacy of Shure Phono is best served by exiting the category rather than continuing production under increasingly challenging circumstances.

Shure will continue to bring reputable, high quality products to market and we look forward to meeting and exceeding customer expectations on our current and future offerings. As Shure expands into new markets and product categories for audiophiles, our enduring commitment to premium performance and technological innovation will remain at our core.

Damn. I guess we will have to switch to the knockoff N447's on Amazon.
Logisticalstyles 12:43 PM - 1 May, 2018
I already did. My last pair were knockoffs and they performed well and were cheaper than the real thing.
H2o 12:46 PM - 1 May, 2018
Just saw this posted by MoJaxx at DJ city as well on fb. Ugh fml....I guess it’s Rane 12, Phase, or Concordes.

Phase looks cool but I don’t like being restricted by battery issues, Rane 12 looks expensive and was recalled, I used concordes briefly a long time ago and always though 44-7s did a better job sticking to the record.

Doesn’t look like a good time for DVS right now...what’s everyone’s fallback plan?

I’m thinking of going Concorde, but not sure which line of them to get.
Logisticalstyles 1:25 PM - 1 May, 2018
I have a pair of the pink Ortofons, and will continue to buy the bootleg Shures.
AKIEM 2:06 PM - 1 May, 2018
those knock offs are fine
eugguy 5:57 PM - 1 May, 2018
Everyone online is jacking up there N447 prices...good thing I picked up 10 of them cheaper before the prices keep rising. I don't like the look or idea of the whole Rane 12/Phase technology. Maybe go JICO if you can't find a good price. Ortofon's are always an option, but Shure has always been solid for me.
Aptidda 8:46 PM - 1 May, 2018
bootleg shure's stylus will never die. This ultimately is going to drive up so much demand and the bootleggers are going to produce sooo many that ultimately they are going to become cheaper. Thanks Shure!
dj_soo 8:55 PM - 1 May, 2018
Most bootleg stylii for Shure are garbage. Sounds like the Jico ones are the only option that are quality and after shipping and possibly duty, it costs pretty much the same as the original Shure stylii.
Mr. Goodkat 9:11 PM - 1 May, 2018
still 40$ at GC as of today
HighTopFade 11:28 PM - 1 May, 2018
Please post links of dependable knockoffs. Thanks!
WildcardX 12:32 AM - 2 May, 2018
goldarn 12:48 AM - 2 May, 2018
nooooooo. I've been using a few different shure styles for over two decades. Solid, never had the need to switch...until a few years from now when the surplus expires
fvckJuly 7:30 AM - 2 May, 2018
Quote:
still 40$ at GC as of today

they have yet to cease production, from what I've read we're talking about Q3 2018. guess it's time to cop a pair of spares before they're gone. still the best shits for turntable imo
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:53 PM - 2 May, 2018
Quote:
I have a pair of the pink Ortofons, and will continue to buy the bootleg Shures.

I keep tellin' folks about those "PANKS"...

They ain't for errybody tho...
blackavenger 4:05 PM - 2 May, 2018
After going through 14 pages of Google searches and being sorely disappointed over and over again, I managed to find a US retailer that still has some in stock......not many, but some. If you call one of their local shops rather than simply ordering them through their national website, they can get you 10% off and free shipping. I bought Twenty (N44-7) Styli @ $38.25 each.

goo.gl

I am not affiliated w' this retailer in any way. Just trying to help out those looking to cop some before they're all gone!
blackavenger 4:09 PM - 2 May, 2018
Don't sleep on getting some if you are interested in OEM, rather than the JICOs.
The price gouging has already begun! What a dick!

goo.gl
Mr. Goodkat 12:04 AM - 3 May, 2018
Quote:
After going through 14 pages of Google searches and being sorely disappointed over and over again,

guitar center
DJ Unique 1:15 AM - 3 May, 2018
Quote:
After going through 14 pages of Google searches and being sorely disappointed over and over again, I managed to find a US retailer that still has some in stock......not many, but some. If you call one of their local shops rather than simply ordering them through their national website, they can get you 10% off and free shipping. I bought Twenty (N44-7) Styli @ $38.25 each.

goo.gl

I am not affiliated w' this retailer in any way. Just trying to help out those looking to cop some before they're all gone!

Awesome
Thanks
blackavenger 1:51 AM - 3 May, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
After going through 14 pages of Google searches and being sorely disappointed over and over again,

guitar center

No. Every major retailer, including Guitar Center are out of stock. I didn't simply rely on whatever each retailer I tried to purchase from said on their website. I called. I wanted confirmation that they actually had them "in Stock" & "Ready to Ship". Regardless of that, as of 1am last night/this morning (however you want to look at it) even Guitar Center's website showed them as being Out Of Stock.

So, yes, it did take 14 pages of searching on Google (and a shitload of phone calls) to find a retailer that had them in stock.
dj_soo 2:13 AM - 3 May, 2018
I think I’m going to grab a bunch of locals and try to go in on a group order for those Jico tips just to try them out.

At $55 for a pair and good reviews out there, it might be a viable alternative moving forward. The biggest thing is the $20 shipping fee to North America and the one and a half month delivery time, but ordering in bulk will likely negate the shipping fee.

if they’re as good as the reviewers say, I’m interested, but I’m not going to grab a whole bunch if I haven’t tried them out first.
Mr. Goodkat 7:02 AM - 3 May, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

guitar center

No. Every major retailer, including Guitar Center are out of stock. I didn't simply rely on whatever each retailer I tried to purchase from said on their website. I called. I wanted confirmation that they actually had them "in Stock" & "Ready to Ship". Regardless of that, as of 1am last night/this morning (however you want to look at it) even Guitar Center's website showed them as being Out Of Stock.

So, yes, it did take 14 pages of searching on Google (and a shitload of phone calls) to find a retailer that had them in stock.

went on mon, they had 10-12 carts unless they sold them in 24 hours.
blackavenger 11:29 AM - 3 May, 2018
Quote:
went on mon, they had 10-12 carts unless they sold them in 24 hours.

The closest brick & mortar Guitar Center is 130 miles away. I don't have the luxury of dropping into a store and just buying a few styli. I have to rely on online retailers only. Ha, the only music supply store we have still has a Numark NS7 in stock that they are trying to get $1,100 for. So even if they did have replacement styli, which they didn't (I checked), they would likely want as much as the scalpers are charging for them now.
Gio Alex 12:49 PM - 3 May, 2018
Quote:
I think I’m going to grab a bunch of locals and try to go in on a group order for those Jico tips just to try them out.

At $55 for a pair and good reviews out there, it might be a viable alternative moving forward. The biggest thing is the $20 shipping fee to North America and the one and a half month delivery time, but ordering in bulk will likely negate the shipping fee.

if they’re as good as the reviewers say, I’m interested, but I’m not going to grab a whole bunch if I haven’t tried them out first.

Quote:

I think their whole deal is that each of them is put together by hand. So i heard.
Aptidda 4:16 PM - 3 May, 2018
Cant wait until my current Shure M44-7 wears out. That way I will have the motivation to buy the sexy new Ortofon Nightclub Stylus! Good for playing vinyl and a tad bit of scratching. I will be keeping my Q-Bert's on the Left Deck for the cuts and the NightClub on the right deck for the real vinyl play back.

No WAY would I spend any more money on a dead product when there is MUCH better products out there now (AKA new Ortofon line). Hey maybe when its all said and done I will sell one of you chumps just my Shure M447 with a dead stylus for the COST of the Ortofon Nightclub, GENIUS!
blackavenger 7:03 PM - 3 May, 2018
Quote:
No WAY would I spend any more money on a dead product

That's the funniest thing I've read in a minute!
So, by that logic, you wouldn't, if given the chance, buy an 808, 303, 1200/10s, Controller One/QFO, or countless other "dead" but still amazing and fun to use gear?

Oh, and before you go on thinking your precious Ortofons are soooo great, how about giving this article a read. After which, you may want to re-think your position on "dead" products being inferior to the modern competition....

www.residentadvisor.net
Gio Alex 7:25 PM - 3 May, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

So, by that logic, you wouldn't, if given the chance, buy an 808, 303, 1200/10s, Controller One/QFO, or countless other "dead" but still amazing and fun to use gear?

Oh, and before you go on thinking your precious Ortofons are soooo great, how about giving this article a read. After which, you may want to re-think your position on "dead" products being inferior to the modern competition....

www.residentadvisor.net

I have a ton of "dead" analog audio equipment all over my place.

We can start with the technics 1210. One can argue that's a "dead product" as well, but it still clearly serve a purpose.
Mr. Goodkat 7:43 PM - 3 May, 2018
this guy is such a great troll.

hats off aptida
AKIEM 7:44 PM - 3 May, 2018
lol
Gio Alex 7:49 PM - 3 May, 2018
Quote:
this guy is such a great troll.

He is a great sport about it at least.
Aptidda 9:02 PM - 3 May, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

www.residentadvisor.net

Ok, ok, ok.... Give me a BREAK here. Are you actually comparing an average everyday DJ product to the likes of a Vestax QFO or Technic 1200's or an 808/303? You have got to be kidding me right, its a STYLUS. There are countless brands and its not some dope niche rare product or something of such grandeur as a 1200. Sit down and keep quiet blackavenger, speak only when spoken to- you have lost your speaking privileges.
Mr. Goodkat 10:49 PM - 3 May, 2018
Im getting aptidda one of these for xmas since he likes to push buttons

djtechtools.com

most likely he will throw it in the trash :(
fvckJuly 6:42 AM - 4 May, 2018
Quote:
or something of such grandeur as a 1200

I don't know bout you, but to me, M44-7s are synonymous to 1200s. like, how many times have you seen a technics headshell that doesn't look like this: s3.amazonaws.com
dj_soo 6:47 AM - 4 May, 2018
Most of the house/techno/electronic guys seemed to gravitate towards ortofons back in the day. Shure was more of a hip hop thing.
fvckJuly 7:57 AM - 4 May, 2018
right, it was either Concordes or Shures (or Stanton 500s like waaaaay back in the day).
I'm pretty sure both (if not all three) of these carts are considered legendary and iconic today. also, I think we're not even the only ones using the Shures, afaik they also used to be very popular among broadcast situations, as well as just general HiFi purposes. didn't 1200s even come with M44s right out of the box at one point, after they stopped shipping with 500s?
WarpNote 9:31 AM - 4 May, 2018
Quote:
Most of the house/techno/electronic guys seemed to gravitate towards ortofons back in the day. Shure was more of a hip hop thing.

Probably right, although I've know a few house heads using the shure WhiteLabel cart.
dj_soo 9:42 AM - 4 May, 2018
Yea, I know a lot of guys who use White Labels. Always thought it was one of the coolest looking carts out there and it sounded really good.
blackavenger 11:41 AM - 4 May, 2018
Quote:

That's true. For years, I foolishly used (DJs, Nightclubs, Q-Berts) to play my (DnB, Breaks, House, Techno) vinyl. All the while they were chewing up my records. Subtly at first, but after a while more pronounced. Then a Hip-Hop DJ friend of mine suggested the M44-7. Hands down, the BEST carts out there. When set up properly (weight/balance/height) they are so kind to real vinyl. They sound great too! I'll never use anything else.
DJ Marv the Maverick 4:47 PM - 4 May, 2018
What's the next best alternative to the Shures for DVS + Scratching?
Aptidda 5:19 PM - 4 May, 2018
Quote:
What's the next best alternative to the Shures for DVS + Scratching?

Ortofon Q-Berts IMO. Been using them for years.
deezlee 6:44 PM - 4 May, 2018
Yup concordes eat records. 44-7a are the easiest on records as far as I've found.
Mr. Goodkat 6:45 PM - 4 May, 2018
Quote:
Yup concordes eat records. 44-7a are the easiest on records as far as I've found.

thats why i switched to shures as well.
Aptidda 6:45 PM - 4 May, 2018
"Eats Records" I know of no such thing. I have been using the same old q-berts for years now with zero noticeable record wear. Yall are trippin.
Mr. Goodkat 7:00 PM - 4 May, 2018
if they are perfectly set up, they seem to be a little worse than shures. BUT, if you have to play out with them and add extra weight, they def eat records.

if i was you aptidda, i'd throw those ortofon carts

directly

in

the

trash
Aptidda 7:52 PM - 4 May, 2018
Quote:
if they are perfectly set up, they seem to be a little worse than shures. BUT, if you have to play out with them and add extra weight, they def eat records.

directly

in

the

trash

Throw out the Q-Berts? And then what? That leaves me with 1 Shure M447. How about those new Ortofon MKII Clubs?
DJ Marv the Maverick 9:34 PM - 4 May, 2018
Quote:

What about the OM style of Ortofons? Not the bananas.

It will be used for just Serato control vinyl. Think I have 5 pairs of the blacks that came with different gear.
DJ Marv the Maverick 9:39 PM - 4 May, 2018
Like this style www.musicstore.de
Gio Alex 9:41 PM - 4 May, 2018
Quote:

Those are my go tos. The OM PRO S joints. The tracking on Ortolans is really great i've noticed. The needle stays more in the groove when it comes to vinyl compared to the M447s. In my opinion and experience.
HighTopFade 11:04 PM - 4 May, 2018
Quote:
What about the OM style of Ortofons?

My weapon of choice for timecode. OM Qbert mounted on old school Stanton headshell.

www.ebay.com
deezlee 12:06 AM - 5 May, 2018
For dvs I'd go with pretty much any cartridge/stylus.
Mr. Goodkat 1:20 AM - 5 May, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

Those are my go tos. The OM PRO S joints. The tracking on Ortolans is really great i've noticed. The needle stays more in the groove when it comes to vinyl compared to the M447s. In my opinion and experience.

always felt like if you dont have the m447's set up properly they dont track well. they have to be pretty close to correct setup to perform really well. Ortofons did seem to me to be a bit more forgiving.

The one exception to my set up rule is the guys that turn the weigh around and angle the tone arm down with the cart basically sitting on the record. Fashen used to do that, seemed to work for him
Mr. Goodkat 3:55 AM - 5 May, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

directly

in

the

trash

Throw out the Q-Berts? And then what? That leaves me with 1 Shure M447. How about those new Ortofon MKII Clubs?

imgur.com
blackavenger 6:31 AM - 5 May, 2018
Quote:

Likewise.
Gio Alex 3:25 PM - 5 May, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

always felt like if you dont have the m447's set up properly they dont track well. they have to be pretty close to correct setup to perform really well. Ortofons did seem to me to be a bit more forgiving.

The one exception to my set up rule is the guys that turn the weigh around and angle the tone arm down with the cart basically sitting on the record. Fashen used to do that, seemed to work for him

That's so funny because I had the opposite experience setting up the Ortofons. I remember the first time i mad the switch the records would skip. It wasn't until I had the precise set up that they worked properly. The m447s on the hand are extremely easy to set up. Maybe because I've done it for so many years.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 4:12 PM - 5 May, 2018
The Ortofon OM Scratch "PANKS" are the little known weapon of cats who are serious about DJ'ing.

They ain't for errybody...
Mr. Goodkat 6:32 PM - 5 May, 2018
i remember ppl using those. i looked em up, the were called scratch's.

i always heard elektros were the best so i had those.

I remember when the debate was use the concorde or the tech headshell with the ortofon cart.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 6:39 PM - 5 May, 2018
Quote:
I remember when the debate was use the concorde or the tech headshell with the ortofon cart.

A Technics headshell with a cart is ALWAYS the best option.

With a Concorde, you're locked into a limited range of tracking, whereas, with a headshell, you have a wider range with the ability to add additional weight via screw in or mounted parts.
Mr. Goodkat 8:22 PM - 5 May, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

With a Concorde, you're locked into a limited range of tracking, whereas, with a headshell, you have a wider range with the ability to add additional weight via screw in or mounted parts.

i always felt like at some point the ortofons had a high potential for losing a channel as well
dj_soo 9:48 PM - 5 May, 2018
that had shorter contacts than regular headshells so they tended to not work as well - especially on tome arms with corroded contacts.
Thundercat 10:06 PM - 5 May, 2018
See, I love my OG Nightclubs for straight mixing and vinyl ripping, but they are horrible for turntablist fun and games. So 90% of the time I am on 44-7's. I am likely going to give the new Concord Scratch MKII's a try. If I do pick up a pair I'll bring them down to the Thursday spot Mr Johnny M for you to have a run at them.

Will also keep an eye out for reasonably priced 44-7 replacement styluses once the price gouging stops. Or give the JICO joints a try.
DJ Matty Stiles 1:09 AM - 6 May, 2018
Some very wise info towards the beginning of this thread.

Such a damn shame about the discontinuation.

But why are y’all so adamant about pinks and nightclubs etc? The numbers clearly point towards q beers and the special Ortofon serato numbers having the highest output: djtechtools.com is the article is from 2010 and could definitely be updated.

If I had my choice I would head towards the new Ortofon scratches or the pinks for aesthetic reasons

PS it’s grewt there’s still cats like this on this forum. I thought it had been completely taken over by controller kiddies
DJ Matty Stiles 1:10 AM - 6 May, 2018
Great*
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:33 PM - 6 May, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

i always felt like at some point the ortofons had a high potential for losing a channel as well

Why would you think that?

The ONLY problem I've heard related to the Ortofons is a split or crack that may develop in the cartridge on the underside....and I have seen evidence of that...strange.

They literally have to be broken in to get the best performance, but once they are, you'll never turn back IF you're the type of DJ who plays both REAL VINYL and DVS.

The Shure always looked like a big block when trying to needle drop.
deezlee 7:20 PM - 6 May, 2018
Gotta say again, as a old DJ that does mostly all vinyl still, that 44-7s are really easy on records compared to concordes at least in my experience.
DJ Irv 10:46 AM - 7 May, 2018
There's always a chance Shure is just taking a break.

I remember back in the days of Turntable TV when the Invisible Scratch Piklz were the only ones who had the 44-7's. Shure had discontinued them so they were near impossible to find except ISP always appeared to have plenty of them. Prior to 44-7's being discontinued they were cheap, like $20-$30 for the whole cartridge when they came back they were $60-$70. With the resurgence of vinyl for regular listeners I am surprised Shure is discontinuing all carts. I can see them only producing the 44-G and 44-7. I wouldn't be surprised if they brought back the 44's at a higher price point later on this year or next.

Kind of kicking myself in the ass for not picking up a bunch of spare 44-7's last week in japan.
Aptidda 3:22 PM - 7 May, 2018
Shure is a complete failure as a business. I do not "feel bad" or am certainly not "disappointed" that from an internal business standpoint Shure as a "business" are a complete utter disgrace and ran so poorly that they cant figure out how to keep providing the market with obviously such a needed item. Combine an unprofitable business model with insufficient capital, piss poor management and complete and utter leadership failure and you get Shure! Rot in business hell, anyone that worked their should be ashamed of themselves.
Gio Alex 3:25 PM - 7 May, 2018
Quote:
Shure is a complete failure as a business. I do not "feel bad" or am certainly not "disappointed" that from an internal business standpoint Shure as a "business" are a complete utter disgrace and ran so poorly that they cant figure out how to keep providing the market with obviously such a needed item. Combine an unprofitable business model with insufficient capital, piss poor management and complete and utter leadership failure and you get Shure! Rot in business hell, anyone that worked their should be ashamed of themselves.

You do realize Shure makes other things than carts right?
Aptidda 3:28 PM - 7 May, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

You do realize that IDGAF right? You sound like a disgruntled former Shure employee.
Gio Alex 3:31 PM - 7 May, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You do realize that IDGAF right? You sound like a disgruntled former Shure employee.

From a simple sentence I sound disgruntled? LOL your entire reply actually makes YOU sound like a disgruntled former employee.
Aptidda 3:34 PM - 7 May, 2018
How's the cardboard box of shame treating ya? You MUST have worked in the Shure finance Dept.
HighTopFade 4:59 PM - 7 May, 2018
Quote:

Sure any cartridge stylus setup can pick up timecode signal. So may was well use the one that offers the most comfort and aesthetically pleasing. I'm shure the 447 is an excellent cart, but to me it looks like I'm laying a brick on a record.
Ulrich von Hurtem 5:16 PM - 7 May, 2018
I just ordered Jico Needles for my SC35Cs, and M44Gs.

www.jico-stylus.com
www.jico-stylus.com

I don't need them now; just planning ahead.

I hope they're as good as Mojaxx says.

Oooo, glow in the dark...my favorite. I know, no reason to choose a stylus.
Jvine 6:49 PM - 7 May, 2018
M44-g user here... I have what may be a dumb question.

44 anything seems to be gone everywhere. There are tons sc35c's at all my local brick and mortar Guitar Centers. I too switched from ortofons to Shures back around 01 or so, and haven't looked back. I use DVS 99.99% of the time. Is there any reason I should't just grab a pair of sc35c's and bunch of replacement stylus to make sure I'm good for a few years, or should I just keep trying to source 44-g's?
Logisticalstyles 6:59 PM - 7 May, 2018
The SC35 have always worked great for me.
 6 7:02 PM - 7 May, 2018
Don’t freak out over this. You will be able to find a ton of cheap knock off styli that fit your cartridge and they will work just as good for DVS.
fvckJuly 8:31 PM - 7 May, 2018
Quote:
From a simple sentence I sound disgruntled? LOL your entire reply actually makes YOU sound like a disgruntled former employee.

broskee please remember this one thing

you must not, under any circumstances, feed the trolls.

but back on topic, what DJ Irv says makes a lot of sense to me, especially when I'm re-reading their statement. they're not putting it like "you know, it's just not really feasible anymore because demand isn't really there today", but rather like "we can't sell them that cheap no more so we're going to surprise y'all poor DJ sheep with a nice little $40 price bump"

but yeah, time will tell. I definitely see that there's still a market for carts like that, so someone is going to take their place. some more speculation: with Gibson going bancrupt, I'd say it's VERY likely that they're going to sell Stanton again. and if Stanton gets some management that isn't dumb like the one they had at Gibson, they're probably going to start selling carts and styli again, and there's your new old industry standard turntablism needle (505s or 680s, ya dig?)
YZ 11:57 PM - 7 May, 2018
Thanks m447 with an n44 stylus is still one of the better casual listening setups out there because of the warm bass sound you get. They're tracking force is not as aggressive as the m44 replacement (which is louder) so the casual cat with a 1200 in the living room will want replacement sylus's.
Gio Alex 2:14 AM - 8 May, 2018
Quote:
broskee please remember this one thing

you must not, under any circumstances, feed the trolls.

Totally. That's why I didn't respond the second time.
DJ Matty Stiles 12:27 PM - 8 May, 2018
no price change in australia, still $60 a pop for the stylus, still in stock
Logisticalstyles 12:49 PM - 8 May, 2018
Quote:
Don’t freak out over this. You will be able to find a ton of cheap knock off styli that fit your cartridge and they will work just as good for DVS.

Yep, I just got a pair of knock offs from eBay in the mail for $19. They work great so far.
DJ Matty Stiles 10:53 AM - 9 May, 2018
Why are yall so adamant about the knock offs? I'll admit ive never tried them, im just against the principal of using knock offs. I know its just a tiny little needle and its probably really easy to replicate, but im really reluctant. Its just my instincts.

If anything, Imma use the japanese brand. Heard a good review from mojaxx on DJ City about them. I trust that guy mojaxx.
fvckJuly 11:20 AM - 9 May, 2018
I mean, it's not like we have a choice if we want to keep using our M44s, right?
 6 11:35 AM - 9 May, 2018
Quote:
Why are yall so adamant about the knock offs? I'll admit ive never tried them, im just against the principal of using knock offs. I know its just a tiny little needle and its probably really easy to replicate, but im really reluctant. Its just my instincts.

If anything, Imma use the japanese brand. Heard a good review from mojaxx on DJ City about them. I trust that guy mojaxx.

Don’t knock them off if you haven’t tried them. Get it? lol

Seriously, unless you’re playing actual vinyl, it makes no real difference.
Logisticalstyles 12:33 PM - 9 May, 2018
Quote:
Why are yall so adamant about the knock offs?

Quote:
still $60 a pop for the stylus

Quote:
I just got a pair of knock offs from eBay in the mail for $19

Quote:
Seriously, unless you’re playing actual vinyl, it makes no real difference.

I'm sure the knock offs are probably worse for my records, but most of the time I am playing on Control Vinyl which is disposable anyway. To me, the savings is worth it as long as they accomplish the same end result.
 6 2:57 PM - 9 May, 2018
Exactly. For control records, they’re totally fine.
AKIEM 4:18 PM - 9 May, 2018
if they work they work. I get these ones Swiss made. m.ebay.com

no reason to waste your money. no one has ever come up and tried shit talking because Shure isn't stamped on my needles
DJ Irv 5:40 PM - 9 May, 2018
Quote:
if they work they work. I get these ones Swiss made. m.ebay.com

I've used these. They are okay. They track heavier (3-5g) than the OG's (1.5-3g) Real vinyl sounds fine on them, but they eat records faster than OG's. I'm going with JICO's next time just to have a point for comparison.
DJ Dub (DC's Own) 5:42 PM - 9 May, 2018
This was my go-to for a long time: ssli.ebayimg.com
Ulrich von Hurtem 6:36 PM - 9 May, 2018
Quote:

Also discontinued. Replacement stylus prices are very high. US$79 at LP Gear. Jico replacements $126 a pair, Compare to: Pair Jico stylus for M44G US$55, Pair Jico stylus for SC35C US$45.

I have a pair of Stanton 680El with 6800HP needles. I prefer M44G, and SC35C.
thorissr 7:09 PM - 9 May, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

Also discontinued. Replacement stylus prices are very high. US$79 at LP Gear. Jico replacements $126 a pair, Compare to: Pair Jico stylus for M44G US$55, Pair Jico stylus for SC35C US$45.

I have a pair of Stanton 680El with 6800HP needles. I prefer M44G, and SC35C.

Absurd!!
CMOS 7:51 PM - 9 May, 2018
Quote:

Arent the Jico's knockoffs?
thorissr 8:06 PM - 9 May, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

Arent the Jico's knockoffs?

Yes, but they are “suppose” to be hand manaufactured at the same specs as Shures. Also MoJaxx over at DJ City posted a comprehensive review on the Jico’s and considers them as a solid replacement for the n447s. They don’t come with guards, however, you can get the glow in the dark ones if that’s your thing.

Take a look.

Watchwww.youtube.com
CMOS 8:11 PM - 9 May, 2018
I saw it, was just breaking balls :P
DJ Matty Stiles 5:57 AM - 10 May, 2018
If y’all had the choice between the new Ortofon scratch Concorde or the Shure knock offs, which would you choose?
DJ Irv 11:57 AM - 10 May, 2018
Concorde's are great. I used them for years and still own Qberts &Elektros. If I was playing real vinyl more often Concorde's. Started using 44-7's because of windy beach gigs.
Gio Alex 1:22 PM - 10 May, 2018
Quote:
Started using 44-7's because of windy beach gigs.

That's pretty interesting because Ortofons (in my experience) lock in the groove more. When it comes to real vinyl that is. Less skipping. I personally use both (shure/ortofon), but for real vinyl I mess with ortofons.
Logisticalstyles 1:54 PM - 10 May, 2018
Quote:
If y’all had the choice between the new Ortofon scratch Concorde or the Shure knock offs, which would you choose?

I don't have the new Ortofon Scratch but I do have the previous Pink version and I actually go back and forth between them and my Shure 44-7 with knock off styli. I don't like the Concorde all in one unit though. I have the OM version on a Technics headshell. As mentioned earlier, with DVS there isn't much difference.
Gio Alex 2:09 PM - 10 May, 2018
Quote:
I have the OM version on a Technics headshell

Same here.

Quote:
As mentioned earlier, with DVS there isn't much difference.

And this.
AKIEM 12:23 PM - 11 May, 2018
when it come to DVS it's more about looks
DJ Matty Stiles 2:05 PM - 11 May, 2018
^ I agree that there’s far less difference with DVS. However I will miss that springy long cantilever that hugged those grooves so well. You could literally feel the difference with your hand. It was a different feel to the shorter and stubbier concorde. I will be bold and say the concordes are more durable. I do a lot of tricks and backspinning and I found I was far more likely to bend a Shure than an Ortofon concord.
deezlee 4:52 PM - 11 May, 2018
Quote:
when it come to DVS it's more about looks

It's gonna look funny when alla these heads are using phase w their highly curated good looking needles are chilling on the tonearm rest while they DJ.
AKIEM 6:11 PM - 11 May, 2018
lol right, the funniest part being you could just use the highly curated needle at anytime but it's just sitting there on the rest for display.... lol but I digress...
Mr. Goodkat 11:37 PM - 17 May, 2018
went to GC today. had about 10 stylii left - 40$
DJ Matty Stiles 2:26 AM - 18 May, 2018
^ which one?

Apparently the Japanese Jico brand are all handmade and have good quality control. Mojaxx used them side by side, Shure on one deck, jico on the other. He used both DVS and real vinyl for 2 months. He saw no difference. Same scopes when calibrating. Same sound. Same everything. Just no protection guard thingy. And glow in the dark.

Looks like I’ll be using Jico when Shures run out
blackavenger 3:22 PM - 18 May, 2018
Quote:
went to GC today. had about 10 stylii left - 40$

Lucky to be able to just drop by a store and get whatever you need.
::jealous::
Mr. Goodkat 5:16 PM - 18 May, 2018
there's 4 GC's in a 30 mile area around me. the closest is about 2 miles away.

i just thought GC's were everywhere but i forget how bug DFW is
Thundercat 6:19 PM - 19 May, 2018
Grabbed a couple at my GC this morning. According to the sales dude, all the GC's got a recent shipment and they were selling out fast everywhere. While I was there they got a call from someone reserving the last 2 that they had.
blackavenger 7:58 PM - 23 May, 2018
So I had to cancel my order from Music & Arts. They said they couldn't guarantee that I would get everything as I was pretty low on the waitlist. Screw them. Anyway, so I called Musicians Friend and asked how many they were getting in and the sales rep said thousands. Interesting side note, the Musicians Friend rep told me they were the distributor for Music & Arts anyway, so I might as well just get them from the source. So I placed my order with them a couple weeks ago. I just got the email stating that my styli have shipped. So, apparently they got their shipment from Shure earlier than what I was originally quoted, which was in mid-June.

In case anyone is interested, their website shows them as being In-Stock and ready to ship.

www.musiciansfriend.com
Aptidda 8:22 PM - 23 May, 2018
LOL @ all the suckers that got dooped into hoarding an assload of replacement stylus. Shure is still MFG them. Haahaaa
blackavenger 8:25 PM - 23 May, 2018
Quote:
LOL @ all the suckers that got dooped into hoarding an assload of replacement stylus. Shure is still MFG them. Haahaaa

Even in the press release they stated that they would be producing them until' the Summer of 2018. The Musicians Friend sales rep did tell me that this was the last shipment ever that they would be getting.
Aptidda 8:44 PM - 23 May, 2018
yea your "friend" over at Musicians Friend doesn't give AF about telling you the truth and only cares about making sales. I know people working inside at Shure and they have ramped up production to satisfy the overwhelming demand. One last hoorah! And the stylus are going to continue to be MFG and shipped through August.

Also I was just informed that I am going to be sent a free Rane Twelve! I'm the man!
blackavenger 9:32 PM - 23 May, 2018
How is your statement......

Quote:
I know people working inside at Shure and they have ramped up production to satisfy the overwhelming demand. One last hoorah! And the stylus are going to continue to be MFG and shipped through August.

any different than what I just wrote, or Shure themselves have already stated......

Quote:
Even in the press release they stated that they would be producing them until' the Summer of 2018

?!?!

This coming August is in the Summer of 2018, is it not?
 6 1:48 AM - 24 May, 2018
Doesn’t matter when you get them or for what reason as long as you get them because you want them. Fuck anyone else who disagrees with your wants and needs.

You know who you are. ;)
monchi 7:54 PM - 25 May, 2018
Quote:
So I had to cancel my order from Music & Arts. They said they couldn't guarantee that I would get everything as I was pretty low on the waitlist. Screw them. Anyway, so I called Musicians Friend and asked how many they were getting in and the sales rep said thousands. Interesting side note, the Musicians Friend rep told me they were the distributor for Music & Arts anyway, so I might as well just get them from the source. So I placed my order with them a couple weeks ago. I just got the email stating that my styli have shipped. So, apparently they got their shipment from Shure earlier than what I was originally quoted, which was in mid-June.

In case anyone is interested, their website shows them as being In-Stock and ready to ship.

www.musiciansfriend.com

PATIENCE GRASHOPPER!
monchi 7:59 PM - 25 May, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

Even in the press release they stated that they would be producing them until' the Summer of 2018. The Musicians Friend sales rep did tell me that this was the last shipment ever that they would be getting.

Sent ya PM
blackavenger 8:16 PM - 25 May, 2018
imgur.com

Well, I got them. I had 20 (10 pairs) ordered from Music & Arts, but when they emailed me to state that they wouldn't be able to fulfil my order, I just cancelled w' them and decided to reduce the amount I needed when I placed my order w' Musicians Friend. My current styli are still in tiptop shape. Those, added w' the 6 pairs I just got, plus the 2 M44-7 carts I am getting later in June, and I think I will be straight for the foreseeable future. I mean, I mostly play on my NXS2s, but still actively purchase and play on real vinyl.....but I am not playing on vinyl anywhere near as much as I did before I bought the CDJs.
Aptidda 8:57 PM - 25 May, 2018
I'm not ordering a single stylus, once my current Shure wears out I have one more replacement stylus. Once that wears out i'm throwing this legacy POS M44-7 in the trash where it belongs. The new Orto's take a hot steamy one all over this out dated crap anyways.

My money is much better in the hands of a self respecting LEGIT run company that is going to continue to thrive (Ortofon) who aren't so bitch and poorly run by a room full of bafoons and wont be to phasing out old stylus. They keep supporting the best DJ's in the world (myself included), and will continue to innovate and deliver exceptional products.

Burn in hell Shure!
blackavenger 3:00 AM - 26 May, 2018
Quote:
Once that wears out i'm throwing this legacy POS M44-7 in the trash where it belongs.

They keep supporting the best DJ's in the world (myself included)

You're hilarious.......and quite humble as well.
Jvine 2:24 PM - 9 August, 2018
FYI, Musicians Friend, GC, et al. have replacement styli in stock.
Aptidda 3:40 PM - 9 August, 2018
Quote:

yea as I had said before, this is a cash grab by Shure. They are still manufacturing the stylus.
DJ GaFFle 6:36 PM - 9 August, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

yea as I had said before, this is a cash grab by Shure. They are still manufacturing the stylus.

Damnit... I fell for the Okie Doke and bought a pair of styli PLUS an extra cartridge!
Mr. Goodkat 7:22 PM - 9 August, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Damnit... I fell for the Okie Doke and bought a pair of styli PLUS an extra cartridge!

he doesnt know, hes a troll
blackavenger 7:33 PM - 9 August, 2018
It's the last of the stock. What is in stores now will not be restocked.
Shure produced a shitload of Styli & Carts before ceasing production.

A last hurrah!!
Aptidda 8:01 PM - 9 August, 2018
haha negative, you all got DUPED LIKE I SAID. I know some folks that work at Shure.

Shure is trash, Ortofon all day.
blackavenger 6:40 AM - 11 August, 2018
In the entire history of this forum (and I've been on here a looong time), you have got to be the biggest troll!!
DJ GaFFle 12:24 AM - 12 August, 2018
Quote:
In the entire history of this forum (and I've been on here a looong time), you have got to be the biggest troll!!

Nooo..... I forgot their names but there have been some legends in here.
WildcardX 5:51 PM - 12 August, 2018
Quote:

Oh boy, you just made his head swell some more. lol
DJ GaFFle 12:37 AM - 28 August, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

Nooo..... I forgot their names but there have been some legends in here.

Haha... I had to think back and find him.

I nominate this dude to the Serato Forums Troll Hall of Fame: serato.com and serato.com (ie: Chirpflare)
rythmatix 7:09 AM - 3 September, 2018
just got some of the Jico Lumino's, and they work fine for vinyl but won't show up in the pickup/scope settings in Serato (no circle at all, just some random dots), and only seem to work consistently in Relative mode (Absolute mode has some glitches and slurry playback).

Anyone had this issue before, or know why this would be (or better yet how Serato could be adjusted to get them working the same as the OEM Shures)?
jayboy158 7:18 PM - 9 November, 2018
This may already have been answered but does anyone know where I can buy some bootleg Shure whitelable styli from? I know they’re out there somewhere but I don’t know where!! Don’t wanna have to buy new cartridges as I quite like these! :)
AKIEM 9:01 PM - 10 November, 2018
eBay
ninjagaijin 6:41 PM - 8 December, 2018
Quote:
just got some of the Jico Lumino's, and they work fine for vinyl but won't show up in the pickup/scope settings in Serato (no circle at all, just some random dots), and only seem to work consistently in Relative mode (Absolute mode has some glitches and slurry playback).

Anyone had this issue before, or know why this would be (or better yet how Serato could be adjusted to get them working the same as the OEM Shures)?

Any update? That sounds crazy bad
DJ Intrigue 4:53 PM - 10 December, 2018
No need to buy anything “bootleg” to use your Shure stylus. Shure is and will continue to manufacture their stylus and replacement tips.

A quick question for you fine fellas that all fell for Shure’s marketing gimmick to sell more stylus, how dusty is that dozen/ half dozen of stylus that you bought sitting on your shelf doing? The stylus are and will remain readily available. How much did you spend on stylus honestly? LOL!
AKIEM 5:01 PM - 10 December, 2018
they proly needed some cash real quick
Culprit 6:50 PM - 10 December, 2018
www.shure.eu

it's definitely discontinued
Gio Alex 6:53 PM - 10 December, 2018
All i know is a bunch of stores have them and the price isn't high anymore.
Mr. Goodkat 7:13 PM - 10 December, 2018
i was finding them for a while, but i have seen the stock decrease in my area unless you want to buy the whole cartridge that come with one stylus
Mr. Goodkat 7:15 PM - 10 December, 2018
Quote:
No need to buy anything “bootleg” to use your Shure stylus. Shure is and will continue to manufacture their stylus and replacement tips.

A quick question for you fine fellas that all fell for Shure’s marketing gimmick to sell more stylus, how dusty is that dozen/ half dozen of stylus that you bought sitting on your shelf doing? The stylus are and will remain readily available. How much did you spend on stylus honestly? LOL!

aptidda cannot stay away. this is comical
Culprit 1:46 AM - 11 December, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

aptidda cannot stay away. this is comical

If it's him just report him the mod's have short tolerance for him now
ninjagaijin 3:34 PM - 3 April, 2019
You can still buy the carts locally but not the styli replacements

Plenty of N44G's too lol.

www.storedj.com.au
The Return of Dj Sparky 5:38 PM - 3 April, 2019
You can still buy official stylus if ypu know where to look, post back in few years like usually do and the comment will be relevant then
ninjagaijin 3:12 AM - 25 November, 2019
Quote:
You can still buy official stylus if ypu know where to look, post back in few years like usually do and the comment will be relevant then

6-7 months later, there are none left afaik.

Dude you need to chill out and stop hassling me for not being as much of a spammer on this forum as you are - I don't live here like some people
DJ Varmintbaby 7:15 PM - 15 December, 2019
The JICO stylii work fine for Serato DVS. I just bought two off Amazon to go on my M447 and they work great. I get the scope and everything. No issues whatsoever and they track like a train and have amazing bass just like the official N447 did. JICO is a respected stylus maker and they make high quality products by hand. The bring that Asian perfectionism to their products and it shows. I'll be buying these until they stop making em!!
dj_soo 8:16 AM - 16 December, 2019
for those having trouble finding distributors for the Jico tips, there's another brand called Tonar that I believe are just rebranded Jico tips.

You can grab those off the juno.co.uk store which ships worldwide. In Canada, I found it a lot easier to go through them than having to worry about importing from Japan, or finding a reputable dealer in Canada or the states.