Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Rane 72 loadsa issues

novakone 9:51 PM - 25 April, 2018
Jerky waveforms, like literally stuttering at a slow drag to line up a cuepoint.
Sound is awful. Had to disable key lock and P+T. Even so I’m getting crackles and pops when cutting.
Anyone else having similar issues?
Had none of this with previous setup using SDJpro
Specs are 2012 I7 MBP 8 GB RAM.
:( not impressed so far
thorissr 10:06 PM - 25 April, 2018
Quote:
Jerky waveforms, like literally stuttering at a slow drag to line up a cuepoint.
Sound is awful. Had to disable key lock and P+T. Even so I’m getting crackles and pops when cutting.
Anyone else having similar issues?
Had none of this with previous setup using SDJpro
Specs are 2012 I7 MBP 8 GB RAM.
:( not impressed so far

I have the same spec’d 2012 MacBook Pro (Retina) as you, and I have yet to experience an issue with SDJ Pro 2.02. What OSX are you on. I’m running Yosemite 10.10.5 and although it’s no longer officially supported by Serato it hasn’t let me down yet.
novakone 10:18 PM - 25 April, 2018
High Sierra. But didn’t have a problem with my previous set up.
SL3 & ecler...

SDJpro is admittedly full of bloatware but this Rane feels like it’s made for the highest of spec machines and nothing else.
Plus the faders ridiculously fucking noisy
r3k0 10:29 PM - 25 April, 2018
Using a windows 10 laptop, but ..

I was getting some pops and clicks while cutting, i had previously lowered usb buffer, so i brought it back up a 2 clicks (on 48 now) and its been perfect since.

I disabled p+t after learning it was shite for scratch djs (was playing tune at reg speed when i was moving the record slow) Not really interested in using it anyway, just tried it out of interest.

No real issues with sound qual or screen tho, lcd is smooth enough.
novakone 10:39 PM - 25 April, 2018
Quote:
Using a windows 10 laptop, but ..

I was getting some pops and clicks while cutting, i had previously lowered usb buffer, so i brought it back up a 2 clicks (on 48 now) and its been perfect since.

I disabled p+t after learning it was shite for scratch djs (was playing tune at reg speed when i was moving the record slow) Not really interested in using it anyway, just tried it out of interest.

No real issues with sound qual or screen tho, lcd is smooth enough.

What’s a buffer of 48? How many M/S?
Never used Serato with Windows
thorissr 10:42 PM - 25 April, 2018
Quote:
High Sierra. But didn’t have a problem with my previous set up.
SL3 & ecler...

SDJpro is admittedly full of bloatware but this Rane feels like it’s made for the highest of spec machines and nothing else.
Plus the faders ridiculously fucking noisy

You may be on to something there...I’m using a S9 so it could possibly be related to hardware demands. If that’s the case Serato will fine tune these quirks sooner rather than later...being that Rane (just the name now) is a big name that carries plenty of clout in the Serato universe.
r3k0 10:43 PM - 25 April, 2018
Yer did wonder if it was same pop up box on Mac, i would say about 1/8th of the way in from the left, so fairly low.
Aptidda 11:24 PM - 25 April, 2018
I'm running a late 2012 mac mini i7 with 16GB of ram running lowest latency and highest frame refresh rate. Runs smooth as butter. Shouldn't of skimped out on the ole MacBook with the penner 8gb of ram eh? That's too bad.
raedonquan 2:33 AM - 26 April, 2018
not problems here at all... yosemite and high sierra... an occasional screen gltch....sound quaility is fine.
novakone 7:41 AM - 26 April, 2018
Quote:
not problems here at all... yosemite and high sierra... an occasional screen gltch....sound quaility is fine.

What spec is your machine?
DJ Tecniq 8:00 AM - 26 April, 2018
Could be a defective Mac? I think a few 2012 models were affected.
novakone 8:18 AM - 26 April, 2018
Had no previous issues like this. 🤔
thorissr 11:16 AM - 26 April, 2018
Quote:
Could be a defective Mac? I think a few 2012 models were affected.

Yes if you’re on Sierra or above and sporting the 650M graphic card in your mid 2012 15 inch MacBook Pro, you can use gfxcardstatus to force your Mac to only use the integrated graphic chip. Note that there’s an issue with gfxcardstatus on 10.12/10.13 where some apps will force you to use the dGpu and could possibly cause video issues or kernel attacks(crashes). The app developer has put further development to fix his app on pause, and if an app “requires” the dGPU it will switch out of the iGpu mode and cause glitches. He has asked that you contact the developer of such app and ask them to change the app to be optional as to it using the dedicated/integrated graphic chip.

My 2012 suffers from this issue so I rolled back to Yosemite where gfxcardstatus/GPU-Switch works as intended by locking in to use only the iGpu. I would definitely give this app a try if you don’t use graphic intensive apps. If I’m not mistaken, SDJ Pro is listed as graphic “Dependent” on High Sierra so it helps if you change this by accessing SDJ Pro within the Application folder and right clicking on SDJ Pro and select “get info”. You should see an option to force SDJ Pro to classify itself upon starting up in a “Low Resolution” mode (note I couldn’t tell the difference between high/low mode). This will at least stop SDJ Pro from attempting to use your dGPU, thus, eliminating the possibility that your dGPU isn’t the root cause of your video glitches while using SDJ Pro. You’ll also need to uncheck the High Screen Resolution option in SDJ settings, since it doesn’t bode well with Macbook Pros that has potential video issues.

Again this is the primary reason why I rolled back to Yosemite from Sierra, because Sierra was just causing too many video issues for me whilst using SDJ Pro.

Hope this helps anyone suffering from the dreaded MacBook Pro dGPU issues that have been plaguing them dating back from 2010-current.
novakone 11:34 AM - 26 April, 2018
Appreciate the extensive response.
Did this affect 13” models too?
Dave-M 12:49 PM - 26 April, 2018
Not had any waveform issues at all running on imac, very smooth, smooth on the 72 screen, too. Sound quality is the best I've heard from a DJ mixer.

I agree about the fader being noisy when it hits the ends, I'm sure it can be modded to quieten it down. Pretty much the same as the 56S I had before it.
thorissr 12:55 PM - 26 April, 2018
Quote:
Appreciate the extensive response.
Did this affect 13” models too?

I never really used a 13” MacBook Pro, but I could be mistaken by stating that dedicated video cards such as AMD/Nvidia were only included in certain variants of the 15” retina MacBook pros (2012-2015). Therefore, if you wanted a dGPU you couldn’t BTO with a video card on their 13 inch variants.
The Return of Dj Sparky 12:56 PM - 26 April, 2018
Yeah those faders were mad noisy when I used it, maybe bigger O rings that would absorbe more of the impact, also the faders were nice but they didn't feel like they were gliding the carrier seems to rattle a fair bit and makes it feel loose and cheap, you could see there was a lot of play when we had to open th e mixer up to adjust them
thorissr 12:58 PM - 26 April, 2018
Quote:
Not had any waveform issues at all running on imac, very smooth, smooth on the 72 screen, too. Sound quality is the best I've heard from a DJ mixer.

I agree about the fader being noisy when it hits the ends, I'm sure it can be modded to quieten it down. Pretty much the same as the 56S I had before it.

I don’t own the 72 so I assume it doesn’t have rubber bumpers to prevent the clicking noise. My Denon X1800 Prime mixer is noisy because of the lack of rubber bumpers.
The Return of Dj Sparky 1:07 PM - 26 April, 2018
They do have little rubber o rings but the faders are still noisy, also they have a lot of play in that as there is a gap in the carrier holes that the rail slides on, I think th ey need to re do the carrier with the same size hole as the rail or a few hundreds of a mm wider
thorissr 1:09 PM - 26 April, 2018
Quote:
They do have little rubber o rings but the faders are still noisy, also they have a lot of play in that as there is a gap in the carrier holes that the rail slides on, I think th ey need to re do the carrier with the same size hole as the rail or a few hundreds of a mm wider

Ah...gotcha!!
r3k0 1:10 PM - 26 April, 2018
The faders do use rubber Orings, cant say mines any noisier than my old 62 tho.

Maybe a softer rubber type would cushion it a bit.