DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Has anyone used the TRAKTOR KONTROL Z2 MIXER ?

DJruffstuff 12:09 PM - 22 April, 2018
Has anyone used the TRAKTOR KONTROL Z2 MIXER ? If so can you recommend it ? What are your thoughts on this product for someone who has only just learnt to beatmix

Regards,

Ruffstuff
DJ Irv 12:11 PM - 22 April, 2018
I love my Z2. I like it a lot better than it's clone the Mixars Duo but, the real question is weather you plan to use Serato DJ or Traktor Scratch Pro.
DJruffstuff 12:32 PM - 22 April, 2018
Hi,

Thanks for taking the time to reply, I am glad you say that, I was originally going to buy the Mixars 2 duo but it was £500 (500 ish dollars) In most places the z2 was $469 (500 ish dollars) and I am unsure how or why but I got it brand new off amazon uk for £310 after a £10 amazon giftcard for taking out a 3 month interest free credit card with no yearly fee lol -- A steal you could say. I guess the seller had too many and decided to sell them at cost.

I want to use serato with it I guess, but am not sure about the horribly tiny wavefoms in browser mode ( no beatgrid/a small bit of tape on the bpm for manual beatmatching and a large list of tracks visible to beatmatc by ear with DVS

I am torn between traktor scratch pro and serato....Your thoughts ?
DJ Irv 1:58 PM - 22 April, 2018
Quote:
and I am unsure how or why but I got it brand new off amazon uk for £310

I'm a little suspect of this but as long as it's brand new, sealed with the Control vinyl and TSP License you should be all set.

I want to use serato with it I guess, but am not sure about the horribly tiny wavefoms in browser mode

The Kontrol Z2 will not work directly work with Serato DJ. You'll need a soundcard like the Rane SL2, SL3, SL4 or Denon DS2.

Quote:
I am torn between traktor scratch pro and serato....Your thoughts ?

This could start a tiny flame war on this site.

(Log answer short) I still DJ on Serato in clubs and bars that have it but, if they let me plug in my own mixer then I prefer to use the Z2/Traktor.

There are few other people on this forum that use or have used both. Maybe they can chime in.
DJruffstuff 6:53 PM - 22 April, 2018
If it isn't brand new and sealed in a box it's going back lol

I think I will possibly use the Z2 with virtual dj or TSP, don't know why serato make you use a decice with it, virtual dj has it fully mapped for DVS

Thanks for your answer
RR437T 1:54 AM - 23 April, 2018
"I think I will possibly use the Z2 with virtual dj or TSP, don't know why serato make you use a decice with it, virtual dj has it fully mapped for DVS"

They do it to prevent software piracy.

"There are few other people on this forum that use or have used both. Maybe they can chime in."

I have Serato, Rekordbox and Tractor. I like the Serato interface the best, but its not that reliable.

My advice to you would be to get a Serato enabled Pioneer controller. That way you always have Serato as an option. Rekordbox will be plug and play, and there's maps available for Traktor.
Logisticalstyles 12:59 PM - 23 April, 2018
I had the Z2 for about a year and a half. I ended up selling it. As a stand alone mixer it was great but I hated using Traktor. I was able to conect a Serato interface so I could use the Z2 with Serato but it seemed like too much work to set up for my gigs. I should have just gotten a Serato enabled mixer from the begining. At least now I am able to say I gave Traktor a fair try.
Gio Alex 2:31 PM - 23 April, 2018
If you want to use Serato DJ it would make more sense to buy the Mixers DUO. If you buy the Z2 you would still need to connect a serato box to it.
novakone 8:21 PM - 23 April, 2018
I’ve just sent my Z2 back. Two replacement crossfader later and I still wasn’t happy with the cut in on the new fader.

Didn’t enjoy TSP. Felt clunky and struggled to get a low latency without sound issues on my MBP.
Don’t seem to have the same problems with Serato.

I tried midi mapping it with an SL3 box but just didn’t feel right to me.
Much prefer my Ecler Hak with Dicers

Just miss the ability to easily press record and red light a mix
Aptidda 8:44 PM - 23 April, 2018
I have used a Z2 and frown upon Traktor and the mixer in general. No one uses these mixers and you have to get a Rane 72.
Sairamark 10:31 AM - 28 July, 2021
Ohh as I read, Z2 still not work natively with serato? Why? guy as you read lot of us would like to use that mixer! Mixars? C'mon, in my mother tongue, Mixars in pronouncing mean 'we are shits'. Guys thats true!
dj_soo 4:30 AM - 29 July, 2021
Wait, you want a mixer made by native instruments - exclusively for use with traktor - to work natively with serato?

One that’s discontinued no less?