Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Rane 12 recall / firmware update

Dave-M 8:06 PM - 19 April, 2018
Chino 9:05 PM - 19 April, 2018
Quote:
dj.rane.com

Ffs.

WOW! Well, I'm definitely glad that I didn't sell my 3900s just yet!!

At least inMusic Brand is attempting to do the right thing. This "complimentary update" a.k.a recall is not going to help sales, though.

Hopefully, quality control will improve in the future.
Aptidda 9:31 PM - 19 April, 2018
its not a "recall" its a firmware update
Dave-M 9:33 PM - 19 April, 2018
Quote:

A firmware update that requires the unit to be sent in for repair. A recall.
Aptidda 9:33 PM - 19 April, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

A firmware update that requires the unit to be sent in for repair. A recall.

got it, my ignorance is bliss.
popnwave 10:05 PM - 19 April, 2018
Early adopter perks.

The fact we saw such a huge list of stuff tweaked in the first firmware for the 72 and this being caught so early after release is not a bad thing imho. We are in the era of agile programming and development and I think something like Denon taking almost 2 years to fix some of the 8000s issues is much more worrisome.

That being said, having to send the decks in is a drag and I think most of the early adopters got these while still having their main rigs to use.
Chino 10:31 PM - 19 April, 2018
Quote:
Early adopter perks.

LOL

Quote:
The fact we saw such a huge list of stuff tweaked in the first firmware for the 72 and this being caught so early after release is not a bad thing imho. We are in the era of agile programming and development and I think something like Denon taking almost 2 years to fix some of the 8000s issues is much more worrisome.

I definitely agree that inMusic Rane is MUCH more on top of issues then inMusic Denon. The 72's new firmware fixes/tweeks is impressive.

Now, I just need the second batch of 72s to arrive so I can finally get my hands on one!
The Return of Dj Sparky 11:31 PM - 19 April, 2018
a recall on all 12's is going to eat into the profit margin of the 12
The Return of Dj Sparky 11:33 PM - 19 April, 2018
but the best part is they are calling it a complementary update, we should all be grateful that you offer to fix faulty units that are still under warranty
Aptidda 11:44 PM - 19 April, 2018
I am curious to see if this bug is really affecting any of the users here on the forums.
WildcardX 11:46 PM - 19 April, 2018
Quote:
I am curious to see if this bug is really affecting any of the users here on the forums.

I think I saw a post here with some one getting this bug
Dave-M 9:54 AM - 20 April, 2018
For anyone in the UK, if you aren't getting any sense via email, call them on 01252896040. Much quicker and better service all round. That's my 72 and 12 going back for repair.
So Fresh 10:29 AM - 20 April, 2018
why is the 72 going back dave?

Quote:
For anyone in the UK, if you aren't getting any sense via email, call them on 01252896040. Much quicker and better service all round. That's my 72 and 12 going back for repair.
Dave-M 10:52 AM - 20 April, 2018
Faulty channel fader. I actually don't think it's faulty, it feels like they forgot to lubricate it..kind of sticky, and it's not that bad, but it's there and they won't send me anything to fix it. Rane originally told me to send it back to the retailer, but they have no stock and there's no indication when there will be stock so they've agreed to repair it. Normally, if something needs a repair within 30 days, I'll send it back and get a new one, but there's no stock so a repair or refund it has to be.
So Fresh 11:16 AM - 20 April, 2018
sorry to hear that fella hope it gets sorted quickly

I really want one, My 808 has died again so have been talking to the shop about swapping it out and paying the difference they offered my and S9 but seems stupid to by one today.
Dave-M 2:14 PM - 20 April, 2018
Quote:
sorry to hear that fella hope it gets sorted quickly

I really want one, My 808 has died again so have been talking to the shop about swapping it out and paying the difference they offered my and S9 but seems stupid to by one today.

Thanks mate, they do seem to be worth all the faff of being an early adopter. I'm pretty fussy about my gear, too. Lots to like, don't be put off just yet! :D
popnwave 2:24 PM - 20 April, 2018
It doesn't happen to everyone.. I have two djs locally that have them and can't replicate the issue. Still worthwhile getting the damn things updated now before you really put them into service.
Dave-M 2:34 PM - 20 April, 2018
Quote:
It doesn't happen to everyone.. I have two djs locally that have them and can't replicate the issue. Still worthwhile getting the damn things updated now before you really put them into service.

I've not even tried it on mine, it makes sense to get them updated just in case.
raedonquan 2:45 PM - 20 April, 2018
hmm i dont particularly stop the platter and spin it backwards so it shouldnt effect me

but if it does this when the platter is stopped and i pressed start that would be a problem.

ill send them in one at a time somewhere when im not busy and do instant doubles..
Chino 2:50 PM - 20 April, 2018
Quote:
but the best part is they are calling it a complementary update, we should all be grateful that you offer to fix faulty units that are still under warranty

Maybe InMusic Brand wants(needs) the positive recognition to increase sales? Ideally, it would be nice if the company just did the right thing & was humble about it. Humility doesn't seem to be part of the corporate culture at inMusic Brand.
Dave-M 2:51 PM - 20 April, 2018
There's a rane 72 and 12 group on facebook, on there is a video that someone posted, you only need a small amount of slow backwards motion for it to happen.
Chino 2:54 PM - 20 April, 2018
Quote:
you only need a small amount of slow backwards motion for it to happen.

Thanks for the good info!
dj_soo 7:47 PM - 20 April, 2018
While it sucks for Rane/InMusic that this is happening, it's good to see them doing the right thing and taking responsibility for it. How many other companies would issue a product-wide recall voluntarily for something that happens rarely? Even other InMusic brands like Numark or Denon tend to bury their head in the sand about commonly reported issues or even turn it around and try to blame the user not to mention other companies like Pioneer and the common reports of failing and breaking crossfaders on the S9.

They could have also saved a ton of money and waited for a case-by-case basis of complaints and returns. I realize that since it's a firmware update, the cost is probably just going to be the shipping and they don't have to replace units or parts, but it's good to see that they care about building good customer service and brand trust with the new Rane.

Hopefully they learn their lesson and make all facets of firmware user-upgradable for future gear.
Numark, Support
Numark Rob 2:12 PM - 23 April, 2018
Quote:
Faulty channel fader. I actually don't think it's faulty, it feels like they forgot to lubricate it..kind of sticky, and it's not that bad, but it's there and they won't send me anything to fix it. Rane originally told me to send it back to the retailer, but they have no stock and there's no indication when there will be stock so they've agreed to repair it. Normally, if something needs a repair within 30 days, I'll send it back and get a new one, but there's no stock so a repair or refund it has to be.

Dave, have a look at the 'grindy fader' troubleshooting described from 6:37 - 11:34 in the video linked below:

youtu.be

With any luck, this covers and resolves the issue you were having with your fader.
YZ 2:17 PM - 23 April, 2018
Quote:

eh, sorry but sending anything back to the manufacturer is a recall... but of course it's complementary lol.
Dave-M 2:52 PM - 23 April, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

Dave, have a look at the 'grindy fader' troubleshooting described from 6:37 - 11:34 in the video linked below:

youtu.be

With any luck, this covers and resolves the issue you were having with your fader.

Thanks for the info, the mixer went back for repair today. I don't think it is a grindy fader issue, it just feels like there is no lubrication on it. I did ask for some of the lubrication to do it myself but they wanted me to send it in, so I did! I have seen a few reports of a slightly bent bar in the fader which seems to fit more with what i was seeing, the movement was not harsh or grindy, but kind of smooth, if a little stiff and I could feel it gently sticking every so often. Gut instinct says it just needed a spray of lubricant, but I guess we will see. Thanks :D
Dave-M 3:00 PM - 23 April, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

youtu.be

By the way, I'd serviced the faders on my 56S many times, I use servisol super 10 and it's always served me well, but doesn't last as long as the factory stuff which I believe is either the dupont multi use or the deoxit faderlube and I'm looking at close to £50 GBP for a tin of either of those, so I'll let them take a look and see!
Numark, Support
Numark Rob 3:03 PM - 23 April, 2018
Hope you get it back quickly!