Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Problem with Denon DS1 Sound

Megabyte23 11:59 AM - 13 April, 2018
Hey,

I bought a DS1 time ago to use with TT's and a Z2 mixer. After some time using it at home and at gigs, I realized one side of the left output was making like a distorted noise at some heavy-bass songs. I contacted the store from where I bought it, they checked it and changed it for a new DS1.

After some more gigs using it, it started happening again. It is an annoying crackling/distorted sound that only sounds on the left side on the left output (same as last time). The interface never got hit, or drink-spilled, or anything like that.

I tried changing the cables, switching the TT's, etc... and it always happens with the same L output on the Left side. Updating the drivers didn't help.
I have my DS1 set on phono, and the mixer is set on line.

Do you know any solution on this? Could be a hardware problem? Maybe a bad welding on that RCA output? Just by hearing it sounds like it is an internal problem, but it's strange that it happened twice and on the same output.

Someone had the same problem and knows how to solve it? Denon support just keeps telling me to update windows over and over again... Thanks!
The Return of Dj Sparky 12:25 PM - 13 April, 2018
Why not just use traktor on the z2
Megabyte23 12:33 PM - 13 April, 2018
Quote:
Why not just use traktor on the z2

I just prefer to use Serato. Also it allows me to plug via USB into Pioneer mixers, which is what they have in the venues I play.
The Return of Dj Sparky 12:45 PM - 13 April, 2018
Try plugging in the left output of the ds1 into the right channel of the mixer to rule out the mixer
Megabyte23 12:54 PM - 13 April, 2018
Quote:
Try plugging in the left output of the ds1 into the right channel of the mixer to rule out the mixer

I tried and it keeps having the same issue, L side on the Left output. If I switch L with R on the Left output, the noise changes from one speaker to the other, so I'm pretty sure it's that exact output. I also had put Serato in INT mode to rule out the turntables, same issue...
The Return of Dj Sparky 12:57 PM - 13 April, 2018
Return it again, at least your in the EU so you have better consumer rights for returning the goods then the yanks
DJ Tecniq 4:05 PM - 13 April, 2018
Hook up the turntable directly to the mixer (without the ds1 connected) to rule out the mixer completely. Hard to believe two soundcards do the same when the mixer may be the main culprit.
DJ Tecniq 4:06 PM - 13 April, 2018
Also if you’re using DVS why do you have the box switched to “Phono” try “Line” instead cause you’re still using a digital device if I’m not mistaken.
The Return of Dj Sparky 4:18 PM - 13 April, 2018
Quote:
Also if you’re using DVS why do you have the box switched to “Phono” try “Line” instead cause you’re still using a digital device if I’m not mistaken.

If he is using tt's it shoukd be set to phono
Megabyte23 4:20 PM - 13 April, 2018
Quote:
Hook up the turntable directly to the mixer (without the ds1 connected) to rule out the mixer completely. Hard to believe two soundcards do the same when the mixer may be the main culprit.

Quote:

Hey, just tried and it works good with the turntables connected to the mixer. I'm sure it has to be either something with the hardware , with the software settings, or a laptop configuration. I know it's really strange that it happened twice. The store told me right now that maybe it could be that my laptop sends high tension peaks and that messed up the card.

As far as I know the switch has to be on Phono, because the audio source it's a turntable. I set it up on Line whenever the audio source is a CDJ.

They gave me the contact to the Denon technical services in my city, I hope they know how to fix it. Thanks for the help!
The Return of Dj Sparky 4:24 PM - 13 April, 2018
Does your Turntable have a line output that it is set to?
Megabyte23 4:30 PM - 13 April, 2018
Quote:

No, I don't think so. It's a normal Technics MK2. I also have the issue using INT mode, that's why I believe it's not problem of the turntables.
DJ Tecniq 6:51 PM - 13 April, 2018
Quote:
My bad that’s what i was thinking these new turntables can be switched to Line or Phono. If it’s just a reg Technics the correct setting is Phono my bad.
dj maddjazz 7:37 AM - 29 June, 2018
did you ever figure out what the problem was and what the solution is ? i recently ran into the same problem you are describing.
Megabyte23 11:51 AM - 29 June, 2018
Quote:
did you ever figure out what the problem was and what the solution is ? i recently ran into the same problem you are describing.

Finally I took it to the store that does all the Denon technical services in my country, and after a couple of weeks they decided to exchange it for a new DS1. A new one worked perfectly without reinstalling anything in my laptop, so I'm sure it was something inside the soundcard. I never knew what was the cause of the problem tho, and when asked about, they said they didn't know.

If the same is happening for you, I recommend you to do the same and let the technical service solve it or exchange it. I couldn't find any other solution after researching heavily, and the online technical help from Denon didn't help at all in this case.
Damhan 9:47 PM - 29 June, 2018
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Finally I took it to the store that does all the Denon technical services in my country, and after a couple of weeks they decided to exchange it for a new DS1. A new one worked perfectly without reinstalling anything in my laptop, so I'm sure it was something inside the soundcard. I never knew what was the cause of the problem tho, and when asked about, they said they didn't know.

If the same is happening for you, I recommend you to do the same and let the technical service solve it or exchange it. I couldn't find any other solution after researching heavily, and the online technical help from Denon didn't help at all in this case.

Hi guys,

I've been having this issue for a couple of years. I raised a ticket with Serato back then and they guided me through a load of configuration changes for my Macbook, which didn't help in any way. I subsequently ruled out my mixer and decks... sheeit, I even rewired my phono cables thinking they might have been damaged by the previous owner! I wasn't having any issues for a short time after I rewired but the distortion has returned. Incredibly frustrating. It's even more frustrating that I bought the DS1 second-hand.

Best of luck!
Damhan
Megabyte23 7:12 PM - 16 July, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Hi guys,

I've been having this issue for a couple of years. I raised a ticket with Serato back then and they guided me through a load of configuration changes for my Macbook, which didn't help in any way. I subsequently ruled out my mixer and decks... sheeit, I even rewired my phono cables thinking they might have been damaged by the previous owner! I wasn't having any issues for a short time after I rewired but the distortion has returned. Incredibly frustrating. It's even more frustrating that I bought the DS1 second-hand.

Best of luck!
Damhan

Did you ever found a way of solving it or any clue of what could be causing this? It started to happen again...

Really hoping the Phase works good to be able to forget this Denon card and this issue.
OneTime 9:50 PM - 16 July, 2018
Quote from 2008

djmq 4:04 PM - 15 January, 2008
Hello there,
is there any known problem causing audio to drop out on ONE channel of ONE deck only?

Last weekend, during my set, when playing a track on the left deck, the right audio channel dropped out. At first only for a couple of seconds, tweo or three times. A few minutes later, that channel was completely gone - no input on my line in. I suspected a broken cable connection, switched everything to mono and replaced the cable, but nothing…

It only started working again when I shut down and reopened SSL.

Setup I was using: SSL 1.8.0, MacBook running 10.4.11, 2GB RAM, 2 GHz Core 2 Duo. Also a TTM 56 mixer.

Any ideas? I didn't find anything helpful yet…

Thanks, Q

I am experiencing this exact problem. But not in Virtual DJ. Audio is fine in VDJ.

Running 2-Techniques SL-1200's. Denon DS1 audio interface. This problem occurs on any machine I hook up. Extensive trouble shooting done. Even changed the RCA cables. Problem remained. Wanted to use VDJ automix for kicks. Tried the left turntable and the problem did not appear. No idea what the problem is.

Rob
Damhan 9:16 AM - 21 July, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Hi guys,

Best of luck!
Damhan

Did you ever found a way of solving it or any clue of what could be causing this? It started to happen again...

Really hoping the Phase works good to be able to forget this Denon card and this issue.

No, I never did find the root cause. As mentioned above, I systematically ruled out the turntables, mixer, and my computer configurations. That really leaves only one part of my setup that could be the source: the DS1. I'm currently a casual DJ and nowhere near as active as I was in my early 20's, but back then (mid-late 00's) Denon were known for budget/low-end DJ and music equipment. I bought the DS1 because it was a cheap solution to accessing my large digital library. As the cliché goes, "you pay for what you get". Anyway, I'm at the point now where I'll take it on the chin... what else can I do? I'm contemplating forking out to buy a high-end Serato-integrated mixer.

I'll close by saying to you that I know how how you're feeling and frustrating this is. You've probably contacted Denon and Serato and gotten nowhere; or your system works perfectly for a couple of weeks and you'll think you've cracked it but the distortion returns with a vengeance. So, the only advice I can give and that has works for me sometimes is: (i) update the DS1 firmware and version of Serato DJ; (ii) match the firmware release of the DS1 with the OS of your computer so they're compatible; (iii) if you still experience distortion raise a ticket with Serato and make the changes to your computer configurations they suggest; (iv) when the DS1 is operating smoothly, reduce the amount of effects and low end frequency (I've noticed that my system will be working nicely, I'll be getting into a mix and will apply an effect or push the bass when, next thing, a bit of distortion becomes audible before slowly increasing in volume. Time based (delay, echo)/processor heavy effects are worse). I can't promise this will definitely work for you, but it might - and it won't cost you anything!

Best of luck,
Damhan
OneTime 3:09 PM - 21 July, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Hi guys,

Best of luck!
Damhan

No, I never did find the root cause. As mentioned above, I systematically ruled out the turntables, mixer, and my computer configurations. That really leaves only one part of my setup that could be the source: the DS1. I'm currently a casual DJ and nowhere near as active as I was in my early 20's, but back then (mid-late 00's) Denon were known for budget/low-end DJ and music equipment. I bought the DS1 because it was a cheap solution to accessing my large digital library. As the cliché goes, "you pay for what you get". Anyway, I'm at the point now where I'll take it on the chin... what else can I do? I'm contemplating forking out to buy a high-end Serato-integrated mixer.

I'll close by saying to you that I know how how you're feeling and frustrating this is. You've probably contacted Denon and Serato and gotten nowhere; or your system works perfectly for a couple of weeks and you'll think you've cracked it but the distortion returns with a vengeance. So, the only advice I can give and that has works for me sometimes is: (i) update the DS1 firmware and version of Serato DJ; (ii) match the firmware release of the DS1 with the OS of your computer so they're compatible; (iii) if you still experience distortion raise a ticket with Serato and make the changes to your computer configurations they suggest; (iv) when the DS1 is operating smoothly, reduce the amount of effects and low end frequency (I've noticed that my system will be working nicely, I'll be getting into a mix and will apply an effect or push the bass when, next thing, a bit of distortion becomes audible before slowly increasing in volume. Time based (delay, echo)/processor heavy effects are worse). I can't promise this will definitely work for you, but it might - and it won't cost you anything!

Best of luck,
Damhan

The issue does not happen when I play music through Virtual DJ using all the same gear, including the DS1. It only happens in Serato, so I doubt it's the physical card itself. Wouldn't make sense. Firmware and Serato are both up to date.
DJ Tecniq 4:09 PM - 21 July, 2018
That is really weird have you tried a diff laptop?
OneTime 7:15 PM - 21 July, 2018
Quote:
That is really weird have you tried a diff laptop?

I have tried 3 different machines, Windows 7 and 10.
Avneeesh 1:19 AM - 15 October, 2018
Anyone found a solution to this issue?

I got a DS-1 a few months ago. It was working fine when suddenly out of no where (no updates or anything), it started distorting. The distortion happens mainly on the bass drops or on the kicks. I've been playing out in clubs on sound system like Function 01 and this distortion/clipping is annoying. Luckily enough I care pendrive and have time to switch to that.

I've been using SL1 and my SL3 for ages but it got stolen and that's why I moved to Ds-1. I could not get an SL3 back as the store don't have them anymore. My question is wether the DS1 is not as sturdy built as the RANE boxes and note mean for the road. Is it not capable or taking the vibrations in the club? I wonder what it is.

So far the solution for me has been to manually lower the volume of the tracks so that they don't hit red at all (which has always been fine). It works more or less but less "weight/oomph" in the tracks.

I love serato as a software and that's why i never moved to traktor or rekordbox dj. I've been "ok" with the SL3 sound quality tho i sincerely wish that we could use the software with a non dedicated soundcard. I wouldn't mind paying for the software and use it with a MOTU for instance.

I hope that's a software issue and a firmware/software update fixes this for us.

This is pretty disappointing after all the years I've used the software and to have shit sound quality on big systems/events and makes us look bad.
DJ JulioYEG 3:30 PM - 17 October, 2018
do any of you having the issue use a mac? it could be a driver issue just like on the rane 62 with the noise problem on windows.
Hanginon 4:37 PM - 17 October, 2018
If you haven't done so yet, change the USB cable.

Check this thread -
serato.com
Pepehouse 1:39 PM - 20 October, 2018
A friend just told me that he solved this problem updating Serato DJ and that he thinks is a problem of the software that was solved, what version are you using guys?
Hanginon 1:59 PM - 4 November, 2018
Gotta love people who come on here like their house is on fire - get lots of suggestions for a possible fix - but we never hear from them again.

Zero feedback, good or bad, which might help someone having a similar problem!
TurtleFaceBrownNoser 10:53 PM - 5 November, 2018
Its a cheapy DS1, its supposed to have problems.
PlintuZz 12:42 PM - 6 November, 2018
Good afternoon, I have the same problem, on all channels, I have two such cards and the problem occurs on them. I tried to change computers, cables and mixers, different versions of serato and traktor, the problem is always there, it helps a little to remove the gain of the track, then the card starts to sound better, but it shouldn't be like that.
Pepehouse 12:19 AM - 12 November, 2018
Quote:
Good afternoon, I have the same problem, on all channels, I have two such cards and the problem occurs on them. I tried to change computers, cables and mixers, different versions of serato and traktor, the problem is always there, it helps a little to remove the gain of the track, then the card starts to sound better, but it shouldn't be like that.

Are you on MAC or PC? What software versions did you try?

So the same happens with Traktor as well?
PlintuZz 7:20 AM - 12 November, 2018
2 MAC/ 1PC, latest version and some old ones
yes such a problem with the tractor and with itunes
Pepehouse 3:28 PM - 12 November, 2018
Quote:
2 MAC/ 1PC, latest version and some old ones
yes such a problem with the tractor and with itunes

Hey, this guy says that even if that don't make any sense connecting straight to line to the mixer instead of phono makes DS1 work and sound properly just watch the video to better understand what he means, check it for yourself and tell us how it went.

youtu.be
PlintuZz 3:58 PM - 12 November, 2018
my ds1 conneted in line.
Pepehouse 4:15 PM - 12 November, 2018
Something's wrong with the device then I guess :(
Pepehouse 4:22 PM - 12 November, 2018
Quote:
Gotta love people who come on here like their house is on fire - get lots of suggestions for a possible fix - but we never hear from them again.

Zero feedback, good or bad, which might help someone having a similar problem!

your so right mate, people ask for help when they need it but then don't help others, thing is that as you say, that way there's no progress and also Serato and Denon won't acknowledge the problem if enough users unite and show it's a big problem and that it's actually happening.

Lazyness never good.
PlintuZz 8:14 PM - 12 November, 2018
In Russia, I know three people with the same problem.
on Denon DJ forum too there are several people with the same problem.
Joey L 5:05 PM - 29 November, 2018
Had the same issue as listed in original post. Though I was using line not phono, with CDJs not turntables. I sent the unit back to Denon - their engineer took a look at it and said there was nothing wrong with it. They sent it back to me (which I had to pay for) and I'm still encountering the same issue. I have trued using different cables, CDJs, mixers, laptops, PA systems, the lot - same problem.

I'm really disappointed - both with the original issue and Denon's aftercare...

Next time, I'm just going to suck up the cost and buy Rane.
TurtleFaceBrownNoser 5:44 PM - 29 November, 2018
Quote:

Amen brotha!
Pepehouse 5:07 PM - 1 January, 2019
Quote:
Quote:

Amen brotha!

Problem is that Rane boxes are already discontinued, you just can buy them used and then no one knows for how long are going to be supported or if In Music has something new in that aspect in the pipeline.

I've been looking for some time for a Serato DVS boxed solution for my setup, I'd already be a DS1 owner if I wasn't aware of the described issue.
MAES 11:49 PM - 20 January, 2019
Hi got a DS1, I use it at home and in venues with nice soundsystem. Never experienced this issue. I’m running serato in a 2011 MacBook Pro.

Actually I’m happy with how it sounds just for the money I’ve spend.
Deejay Steve Mapp 12:18 AM - 21 January, 2019
I had a problem with my DS1 sound card, bought it brand new & the sound quality was terrible. Took it back to store & swapped it & now happy with it
Vinyl Meltdown UK 8:01 PM - 25 February, 2019
I just purchased a new DS1 and a Native Instruments Audio 6 and both make a distortion noise. I've got brand new pioneer plx 500 turntables and Numark m6 mixer, but I've used my old Vestax and Pioneer djm 500 mixer and still the same. Replaced the needles and all leads, nothing.

It only happens with the DVS, I've got a Pioneer DDJ SR controller and works fine in Serato Pro and I've got a NI S2 MK3 controller and it works fine with Traktor.

So, is it Soundcard issues? or Software issues with DVS?

Driving me nuts though.
DJ Tecniq 9:01 PM - 25 February, 2019
Sounds like the pioneer tables are defective or bad rca cables or your laptop is unsupported. If you can take a video clip of what’s actually happening we could better help you.
Vinyl Meltdown UK 9:19 PM - 25 February, 2019
It's definitely not the turntables. Without soundcard, records sound perfect through my mixer. I've changed the rca's as well. How do you add a video clip to this thread please?
DJ Tecniq 1:33 AM - 26 February, 2019
Quote:
It's definitely not the turntables. Without soundcard, records sound perfect through my mixer. I've changed the rca's as well. How do you add a video clip to this thread please?
www.youtube.com or Dropbox.con them paste the link here👍🏼
DJ Tecniq 1:34 AM - 26 February, 2019
Pepehouse 10:35 PM - 30 May, 2019
I ended getting a second hand SL2 due to the malfunction of the DS1, I recomend the Rane, works like a charm.
jackvick 2:40 PM - 1 June, 2019
Started having this exact issue yesterday, distortion in the low end only on the left side. I've come across it before when using serato on my pc, sent the ds1 off for repair but come back saying no fault was found. Switched to mac in the end and the issue dissapeared for a good while. Absolutely gutted it's come back, mental there seems to be no solution about.
DJ Tecniq 2:51 PM - 1 June, 2019
^ bad rca cable?
jackvick 12:06 PM - 2 June, 2019
definitely not, ive been through this all before, im positive its nothing my end
Wazo 2:40 AM - 5 September, 2019
Yeah my DS1 has just started playing horrible sound quality out of nowhere and nothing is the issue but the box. gotta get a new box now. :(
DJ Tecniq 5:06 AM - 5 September, 2019
Quote:
Yeah my DS1 has just started playing horrible sound quality out of nowhere and nothing is the issue but the box. gotta get a new box now. :(
just get rid of the Denon box and get the Numark Scratch mixer for SDJ it’s $500 but you can get it cheaper from most online retailers. No need to hook up a soundcard box ever again the mixer itself has built in soundcard which sounds phenomenal. Such a better investment and quick set up imo.
MAES 7:55 AM - 13 July, 2020
I recently tried to hook up the Denon DS1 with a high end analogue mixer and the sound quality was impressive, just as fine as you could expect from this kind of device and D/A conversion sample rate.

The only issues I've experienced with this box were connectivity, I need to replace the stock USB cable, apart from that everything works fine.

I find and advantage in using an external box so I can choose the mixer that better suits my needs.