DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Pioneer DJM-S9 Crossfader vs Rane Seventy-Two Crossfader

Berlin31 9:45 AM - 13 April, 2018
Hi, i got my Seventy-Two yesterday. My first impression on the Crossfader is dissapointed, compared to the S9. The S9 Crossfader is buttersmooth compared to the 72. Right now i am not sure, if i should sell my S9, or keep it and return the 72. Besides that, yes i know, the 72 got way more features than the S9.
I also got a 62. Eveybody i know, that tested the S9 and the 62, prefers the S9. It seems that the 72 besides being build a 160 times stronger (Rane statement to the Crossfader), the construction is the same as the 62.

Any thoughts on that?
The Return of Dj Sparky 11:16 AM - 13 April, 2018
As far as I know you have to take the faceplate off to adjustable tension of the faders
Berlin31 2:21 PM - 13 April, 2018
Hi Sparky, yeah you're right. I have to try that. Had to confirm with the place where i bought it, that i can open it and still be able to return. Cause when you open it, the paint of the screws will propably go off. They said no problem, i can still return it. Will try that today and keep you imformed, if it works the way i want it. Even though, i think the S9 crossfader also does make less noise compared to the 72 and the 62, which is cool if you don't have the music to loud. But that's just my personal preference.
The Return of Dj Sparky 2:47 PM - 13 April, 2018
On the s9 there were hard and soft rubber stoppers sorry the fader, not sure if the 72 has that option but you see when you open it
Berlin31 9:49 AM - 14 April, 2018
O.K., i took off the faceplate and exchanged the left line fader with the crossfader, cause that one was the smoothest, which is also weired as i would pressume that in 2018 production output would have a consistend quality, especially if a pay 1899 € or $.
Anyway, i went to the hardware store and bought a teflon spray and put some on the rails. It's better now (less noise and smoother). Still, the way you can adjust the s9 fader (without opening the mixer) is way more precise and easier. The way Rane does it is just pre dinosaur engineering. Plus the rubber stoppers, make a lot less noisy. I will try to put some kind of rubber in there and compensate the lesser space with the adjustable "Cut-In Adjust".
I also found a Discussion in the German forum, where guys had the same problem with the 62. They contacted the rane support and did sent their faders to them. It took 3 days and the difference was amazing, they said. So i'm propably gonna do that too.

Damn us picky Germans ;-)
Berlin31 9:57 AM - 14 April, 2018
Also, i do have a 62, a S9 and a 72 in my house. NOT bragging. Just wanna make clear that i talk about practical experience and not some "he said, she said" bs.
paulorpviana@hotmail.com 7:02 AM - 15 April, 2018
the best and lightest Carrier, was used in the ttm56 / 57 nothing compares, I do not know why they changed the manufacture
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 10:47 PM - 15 April, 2018
Quote:
the best and lightest Carrier, was used in the ttm56 / 57 nothing compares, I do not know why they changed the manufacture

Eww, so the crossfader for Rane models after the 56/57 are different?

I only remember the promo for the crossfader being dipped in a cup of Coca Cola and still working.

I just knew that was the LAST mixer I'd ever buy...and thus far has supported that thought process.

However, from a business point of view, they loose money by making an indestructible mixer....Just like Technics 1200's.

So instead of have the best build quality for the faders, they make them less than optimal, which saves money....and chances are, that they'll be offering a new model (which people will buy JUST BECAUSE), before the old one wears out..
paulorpviana@hotmail.com 11:13 PM - 15 April, 2018
yes the first used Carriers, were the strongest, lightest, with a tension spring, that let loose, completely free, worked with a charm
Oscar Bernal 9:17 AM - 13 March, 2019
Quote:
Hi, i got my Seventy-Two yesterday. My first impression on the Crossfader is dissapointed, compared to the S9. The S9 Crossfader is buttersmooth compared to the 72. Right now i am not sure, if i should sell my S9, or keep it and return the 72. Besides that, yes i know, the 72 got way more features than the S9.
I also got a 62. Eveybody i know, that tested the S9 and the 62, prefers the S9. It seems that the 72 besides being build a 160 times stronger (Rane statement to the Crossfader), the construction is the same as the 62.

Any thoughts on that?

Hi Berilin, i have booth, and i have problem with the magnetic on rane72 every 3 months. i send the first time to garanty but the second time they say me than is problem with my care to machine. and my question is?.. why my another mixer dont have the same problem?. i care my machines always, my conclusion is the crossfader of rane 72 not is good. Bad crossfader!.
dj_soo 10:10 AM - 13 March, 2019
you tend to have to maintain rane faders a bit more. I clean and lube mine every few months.

Tends to gum up when I do more outdoor gigs.
Oscar Bernal 10:43 AM - 13 March, 2019
Exactly!!...But this shouldn´t be necesary.
gfella 3:03 PM - 13 March, 2019
Quote:
Exactly!!...But this shouldn´t be necesary.

Rane faders are open design which are prone for dirt, dust and whatever, that’s why for best performance you need to maintain them often.

Best way to do is to take them out of the chassis, and take them apart, clean the rails, then polish the rails, clean the inside from the carrier, put them back together and lube the rails.
Lubing without cleaning makes no sense, the dirt is still there.
It’s a bit of work, but you get very smooth faders in return, that’s just how Rane faders work.

Rane should include a little lube with their mixers, like Innofader does.
If this is too much hassle for you, Innofader is coming out with a compatible fader for the 72 very soon, dope fader with much less maintaining.
Oscar Bernal 4:06 PM - 13 March, 2019
Good new Gfella!!.. Thx!...i will waiting for innofader then!
The Return of Dj Sparky 6:16 PM - 13 March, 2019
Agree on the maintaining it I got some bike chain lube and it's fine ever since,. They should include some lube but the extra 50c they would cost them
technicaltitch 10:21 AM - 11 July, 2019
I second maintenance, mine became unusable very quickly without cleaning and the tiniest amount of clipper oil (think sewing machine oil is best but I can't find it locally). I also completely removed the magnets as I prefer the lower weight and don't feel a tension difference. Can't wait for the Seventy Two Innofader. I'm sold on the Seventy Two due to the sound and eq quality, (it's a rotary inside), although I wish they wouldn't disable half the midi pages when not connected to Serato, and I'm not sure you'd great much difference through anything but a very clean sound system.
technicaltitch 10:24 AM - 11 July, 2019
I'd also mention the FX user interface on the Seventy Two is unusable live. Reckon the S9 still owns that.
Oscar Bernal 1:13 PM - 11 July, 2019
I have a video in youtube about a issue with crossfader rane 72. this can interested.
youtu.be
this video is spanish language.
technicaltitch 8:08 PM - 11 July, 2019
Sorry to correct my above, teflon based or deoxit f series (f100 rather than the cleaner liquid f5) oil is better than sewing machine or baby or clipper oil.

And instead of "great" I meant "hear"!
Mr. Goodkat 9:13 PM - 13 July, 2019
Quote:
(it's a rotary inside),

rotarys are only outside
technicaltitch 6:29 PM - 15 July, 2019
Quote:
Quote:
(it's a rotary inside),

rotarys are only outside

Never judge a book by its cover (or in this case, a Seventy Two by its faders and tacky colour scheme).
Mr. Goodkat 11:28 PM - 15 July, 2019
a rotary is only a mixer with rotary knobs. if you sayiing the internal structure is like a mp2015 rotary mixer, im not sure if its 100% confirmed but several have said that
dj_soo 8:08 AM - 16 July, 2019
Rane has said it has the same internal "circuitry" as the MP2015.

What that means is beyond me, but i certainly think it's a great sounding mixer.
technicaltitch 8:50 AM - 16 July, 2019
I thought you were joking Mr Goodkat. It means same sound quality, same d to a converters, same eq circuitry, same phono preamps. Yes technically a rotary is called a rotary because it's knobs rotate, but the important difference that sets rotary mixers apart is their sound quality - hence the people who are into them tend to know their sound engineering better than others (quite a few build or heavily customise their own mixers and turntables), and you tend to find them in high quality systems. The Seventy Two is disappointing in several ways but as someone whose a bit of an audio nerd the Seventy Two's pristine sound quality makes up for them, and the eq filters surprise me every time with their sublime mixture of warmth, tonality and almost reverb.
The Return of Dj Sparky 12:07 PM - 16 July, 2019
The efx workflow is the 72's biggest let down, and the screen is shit
technicaltitch 1:33 PM - 16 July, 2019
Agree on the EFX. I tried to re-map it to something closer to the S9 using MIDI Translator, but the functionality is on the mixer pre-MIDI so you can't. Rane at their absolute worst. Also wish they'd allow you to map the unused pages when Serato is not connected - locking those is just ridiculous, it's not like we haven't paid enough, to get it to work outside Serato.

Disagree on the screen - bit glitchy (not sure if 2.2 will improve that) and low res and not a replacement for the monitor, but functional enough and sometimes handy - I use the needle drop down the side a lot, and it helps cueing up scratch samples.
Mr. Goodkat 5:09 PM - 16 July, 2019
Quote:
but the important difference that sets rotary mixers apart is their sound quality -

that has nothing to do with being a 'rotary mixer'. There are avg sounding but crappy sounding rotary mixers( i had one from omnitronic) and good to great sounding and build quality rotary mixers.

The mp2015 does sound great but it was ranes most expensive mixer, was made in the US with premium parts. The older mp 2016, while it has good sound, most agree its not great. The boutique rotaries by condesa, ars, mastersounds, e&s, taula, etc, are all made in very small batches, most completely analog, and made for vinyl(of course you can use any sound source with them). BUT, it has nothing to do with them being rotary mixers.
technicaltitch 8:33 AM - 18 July, 2019
I appreciate the rotary potentiometer itself, which gives rotaries their name, has nothing to do with the quality directly - hence the Seventy Two can sound as good as the MP2016 with faders in their place. I do think it is fair to say the average rotary sounds better than the average non-rotary, and the average rotary-owning DJ cares more about achieving audiophile sound quality than the average non-rotary mixer DJ. But I wouldn't disagree with anything else you say really. I thought I'd seen you posting very informed stuff on here, hence assuming you were joking with your "rotarys are on the outside" comment. I'm not sure we're disagreeing on anything much - I said the Seventy Two sounds good because it is a rotary inside, you're saying not all rotaries sound good and technically what makes a rotary is knobs that rotate instead of slide, I agree, I'm just saying the average one sounds good, and the MP2016 sounds phenomenal, which I think you agree with.

I'm actually getting pretty sick of the reCAPTCHA on this forum (6 pages this time), and I think we've pretty much understood each other, so unless I have something interesting to add (a test I think this post fails) I'll stop nattering on.
Mr. Goodkat 5:56 PM - 18 July, 2019
true.

Just thinking, are there any boutique mixer brands that do fader mixers as well or one that does high end fader mixers? i pretty sure no but you would think one company would.
technicaltitch 11:47 AM - 19 July, 2019
Not that I know of, although I'm no expert. I'm no fan of the rotary knobs themselves (don't really get the appeal) so the 72's sound quality with scratch quality faders and midi is a dream mixer for me (and four times what I've ever spent on one before!).
Mr. Goodkat 11:23 PM - 19 July, 2019
ive said it a million times, but id pick up the 72 if it didnt have the screen.
technicaltitch 11:54 AM - 20 July, 2019
The needle drop down the sides is excellent, fx ui appalling.