Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Pioneer S9 fader malfunction

vonwoo 8:57 AM - 8 April, 2018
Tonight I played an event with my S9, which is less than a year old and has never had an issue. I noticed the upfaders were acting up; I have them set to the most gradual contour, but I noticed they were having volume surges right around half way up, but as I continue to push the fader, the volume decreases or shuts off until I hit full.

After an hour of this, I noticed my crossfader had stopped working completely. Then, all faders started shutting off volume completely at around the 50% mark. This got worse as the night progressed, and when I went to drop the last song with both upfaders at full and the crossfader in the middle.........silence.

Anyone else experiencing this? I haven't updated firmware or anything yet, I just got home from the gig and jumped on here right away. I'll update if I have any luck with solutions.
djthensum 5:15 AM - 9 April, 2018
Don't know about the cross fader not working, but sounds like the reverse switches got turned on in transit perhaps for the up faders.

Has happened to me multiple times, embarrassing to say the least when telling the sound guy i should be giving full signal to the desk at sound check...
vonwoo 7:35 PM - 31 May, 2018
Thanks for your input @djthensum, but that's a pretty obvious situation, and I'm no novice. I'm not talking about reverse faders, I'm talking about one swipe of the crossfader cuts audio 4 or 5 times. Upfaders work at the top and bottom, but not in the middle. \

This has happened to me 4 different times on 2 different mixers now, using 2 different computers. I can't believe it's not happening to anyone else.
djthensum 11:20 PM - 31 May, 2018
@vonwoo - no problems. Good luck with it, sounds pretty unique.
Aptidda 6:10 PM - 1 June, 2018
I had a Pioneer S9 and had the exact same issue, and I know of about a dozen other people that had similar circumstances and issues with their POS S9.

The only logical solution at this point: Sell it on craigslist for an enormous loss (these mixers are worth in the neighborhood of $600 since the 72 came out). Call up your favorite online retailer (not Guitar Center or any local brick and mortar), and get a Rane 72.

In all honesty I was truly disappointed with the build quality, customer support, and overall feel of the faders (especially hate the 1/2 inch cut in time on the upfaders set to the sharpest setting).

PROBLEM SOILVED.
djkru5h 12:06 PM - 10 December, 2018
Hey brotha im having the same issue with my S9. Did u ever figure out the problem or a solution?
DJ Intrigue 5:29 PM - 10 December, 2018
Hey broski's, same issue here with my S9 :-(
Gio Alex 7:06 PM - 10 December, 2018
I've had the same issue on the S9 at a venue countless times. Basically would have to restart the mixer. Sometimes it wouldn't even output any sound, not even through headphones.

What I did notice is if Serato was already open before connecting the computer to the S9 these weird issues would happen. If I connected the mixer, then opened serato it wouldn't happen. Not sure if there's a connection there or just coincidence. I also would give the mixer a restart before doing anything when I'd show up. SO bad.
Gio Alex 7:18 PM - 10 December, 2018
Also, the crossfader broke after a month. Like physically broke, smh.
WildcardX 10:55 PM - 10 December, 2018
Quote:

Infinity Fader that is all....

infinityfaders.com
DJ Intrigue 12:00 AM - 11 December, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

infinityfaders.com

LOL! And blow like what, a couple hundred more dollars so that the S9 can "Handle Scratching". Na man, i'm good off the S9.
WildcardX 12:14 AM - 11 December, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

infinityfaders.com

As I was saying Gio Alex. only heard good things about this and they have for the upaders as well.
DJ Intrigue 12:16 AM - 11 December, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

infinityfaders.com

As I was saying Gio Alex. only heard good things about this and they have for the upaders as well.

As I was saying Alex, maybe consider purchasing a new mixer that is actually built for REAL turntablists and REAL legit DJ's.
Gio Alex 2:37 PM - 11 December, 2018
Luckily this isn't my personal mixer, it's the venue's. From day one I wasn't into it. The layout kinda blows. The odd decision to not put the trim/gain knobs above the EQs like every other traditional DJ mixer; really hated that. I remember when I first used it I would accidentally turn up the hi's thinking they were the trim knobs.

I wouldn't buy an S9. It's not a terrible mixer- I can see where/why people love it, but I've just had bad experiences with it, and not just one of the S9 mixers either. My other thing is for the price you can buy a mixer that does way more than serve a purpose as a serato only mixer. Just my opinion.
YZ 4:29 PM - 11 December, 2018
Yea, I remember the moment. I think it was after my 4th or 5th set of plastic carriers on the Rane 62, I swear inMusic was sending them to me on a subscription service at some point. Someone on IG suggested I spend a couple hundred on these infinity things to replace Rane's fail. That was the point I said fk this POS mixer and chucked it for a 72.
djcreate95 4:06 PM - 18 December, 2019
I DJ on an iHeart radio station and this happens once every few months since so many DJs are plugging into it. I have no idea what causes it, but I assume it's someones computer that is triggering this bug with the mixer.

The fix every time is to simply reinstall the DJM-S9 Firmware.

Download it here www.pioneerdj.com

Then hold "Back" and the "Left" Parameter button on the left side of the mixer while starting the mixer up, then run the firmware installation file that you downloaded.
DJ Marv the Maverick 7:57 AM - 19 December, 2019
Same thing happened to me 2 weeks ago.

I tried with Serato and Rekordbox DJ.

It hasn’t happened again since then.

youtu.be
funkyfresh2012 11:04 PM - 20 December, 2019
What firmware is it happening on? Did the latest hardware update released in late November fix this?

Did someone create a trouble ticket with Pioneer yet? That YouTube vid above shows clearly something is wrong.
DJMIYAGI 2:41 AM - 21 December, 2019
Quote:
What firmware is it happening on? Did the latest hardware update released in late November fix this?

Did someone create a trouble ticket with Pioneer yet? That YouTube vid above shows clearly something is wrong.

www.pioneerdj.com
New firmware came out today
DJ Marv the Maverick 2:07 PM - 21 December, 2019
Quote:
Quote:

www.pioneerdj.com
New firmware came out today

I was already running that new firmware. 1.09

I think it came out in Nov.

But just to be sure I installed it again,

See how it goes
DJ Tecniq 4:06 PM - 21 December, 2019
Damn I didn’t know there was a new firmware update I’m still on 1.09. Noice!
funkyfresh2012 4:47 AM - 31 December, 2019
I updated to the latest 1.09 and once i powered it on, i had this issue. Powered it off then back on and it went away.

smh.
Futuretek 6:40 PM - 24 January, 2020
Quote:
Tonight I played an event with my S9, which is less than a year old and has never had an issue. I noticed the upfaders were acting up; I have them set to the most gradual contour, but I noticed they were having volume surges right around half way up, but as I continue to push the fader, the volume decreases or shuts off until I hit full.

After an hour of this, I noticed my crossfader had stopped working completely. Then, all faders started shutting off volume completely at around the 50% mark. This got worse as the night progressed, and when I went to drop the last song with both upfaders at full and the crossfader in the middle.........silence.

Anyone else experiencing this? I haven't updated firmware or anything yet, I just got home from the gig and jumped on here right away. I'll update if I have any luck with solutions.

This happened to me and what fixed it was uninstalling all drivers and re-installng the new ones. no problems since.