Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

DDJ-SB3 & Rane 68

joe2037 2:14 AM - 4 April, 2018
My normal setup is Pioneer CDJ’s with a Rane 68 mixer. I have never had to pay for the Serato software since I owned my setup. I just purchased a DDJ-SB3 so that I can play around with tracks at home rather than dragging in the bigger coffin and speakers. I was thinking this can be an easy small setup to see what sounds good and make my crates.

When plugging it in, it says I have a 14 day trial. Is this trial just something that everyone sees and after 14 days it will continue to work? I was under the impression that I can connect any Serato hardware and the software is free. Is there a special code I need to put somewhere?

Also, I want to use the laptop speaker outputs at times so that I don’t need to connect a powered booth all the time. Is it possible to route the output to the Mac’s speakers?
DJ Tecniq 6:01 AM - 4 April, 2018
The SB3 is an “entry level” controller it works freely with Serato DJ Lite however if you never purchased a SDJ license you’ll have to pay for a SDJ license in order to use the controller with their more advanced software (SDJ/Pro)
joe2037 11:50 AM - 4 April, 2018
If that was the only thing I owned, makes sense. Since I already own hardware that unlocks pro, shouldn’t that allow me to use anything and still have access to the software for free?
WildcardX 1:27 PM - 4 April, 2018
Quote:
If that was the only thing I owned, makes sense. Since I already own hardware that unlocks pro, shouldn’t that allow me to use anything and still have access to the software for free?

There is a difference between Serato Enabled and Serato Upgrade Ready hardware. Enabled Hardware operates on a hardware key per se; so when you connect the hardware then it unlocks the software, the cost of this would have been reflected in the hardware as well. With Serato Upgrade Ready hardware you would need to buy a license because as the name suggests it is ready but only until the license is applied. This has nothing to do with the hardware license applied to your 68. It will work for Lite as this is what the Hardware key is related to. So in essence; your licenses only relate to your 68, not to entry Upgrade Ready hardware; on the upside if you buy a license it can be used with any Upgrade Ready hardware. That's how it work.
DJ Tecniq 2:52 PM - 4 April, 2018
Quote:
No sir you bought an expensive mixer that is “plug & play” with Serato DJ software. You cannot “share” a license with another product unless you paid for a license. You just have a mixer (62) that’s compatible with Serato DJ. If you “unplug” your 62 how is your sb3 device going to work with SDJ software? You still need to purchase a license to use it with the advanced software. This is the big downfall of purchasing “cheap” controllers and why it’s best to purchase more expensive Serato devices that are already unlocked for use with SDJ software.
djcrap 3:24 AM - 5 April, 2018
That's like saying I already have insurance and number plates on my old BMW why can't I use the same insurance and number plates for this new BMW I just bought.
It makes no sense😂😂
joe2037 3:28 AM - 5 April, 2018
Generally, software licensing models follow the user. For example, if I buy office and get a new laptop I can install it there instead. If I buy an app on my iPhone and get a new phone, I don’t need to re pay for what I have. I am gathering the licensing model here is different and it follows the hardware. So does that mean that I have to pay $100 for every controller I own to have a license? Can someone point me to the licensing page?
DJ Tecniq 3:57 AM - 5 April, 2018
Quote:
So does that mean that I have to pay $100 for every controller I own to have a license? Can someone point me to the licensing page?
No it’s not that complicated. When you purchase a SDJ license it unlocks any SDJ Intro/Lite controller for use with SDJ/Pro. Only the smaller and cheaper Serato devices require a SDJ license. For example I have a Pioneer S9 which is a plug & play device that works freely with SDJ/Pro the product itself “is” the license. For example If you had a SB2, SB3 and bought a license then those devices will both be compatible with SDJ/Pro software.
DJ Tecniq 3:59 AM - 5 April, 2018
Licenses are really only handy for Serato devices that aren’t plug & play compatible with SDJ/Pro.
DJ Tecniq 4:04 AM - 5 April, 2018
It’s a one time purchase. I since sold my SB2, upgraded to an SR2 and now my license is basically useless cause i have two devices that are plug & play now. The S9 & SR2 Which are both compatible with SDJ/Pro. If you think about it the cheaper controllers (SB2,SB3) are kinda pointless. Might as well purchase the more expensive controllers as they are plug & play with SDJ/Pro (no license purchase required it’s already unlocked out the box)
pdidy 5:08 PM - 5 April, 2018
joe2037, just dump the DDJ-SB3 off on another sucka who doesn't read and get the ddj-sr2. Lesson learned......problem solved.
joe2037 6:17 PM - 5 April, 2018
Quote:
joe2037, just dump the DDJ-SB3 off on another sucka who doesn't read and get the ddj-sr2. Lesson learned......problem solved.

That’s not the issue. I can just bring it back as it is still within the return policy. The issue is that this is an easy way to mix offline and test blends. The unit is small and allows scratching, quick queue buttons and effects that are post fade. It’s perfect for that, but now I need to also purchase the software. I don’t want to constantly lug in my coffin with CDJ’s and 68 mixer so this works nice. The other option is to spend 2K on the SZ2 and get rid of my coffin setup but I am thinking an SS3 will be coming out soon that models the DDJ-1000 and I am holding out for that.
DJ Tecniq 6:53 PM - 5 April, 2018
I love the SR2 it’s light and compact for use with cdjs or t-tables for DVS options. I got it for $100 off it’s originally a $700 unit.
the vman 4:34 AM - 16 February, 2020
Do I have to buy the DJ Pro license to use with my Rane 62?
popnwave 4:36 AM - 16 February, 2020
Quote:
Do I have to buy the DJ Pro license to use with my Rane 62?

no. It will activate SDJ Pro when it detects it.