DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

How does mobile pricing differ across the country.

Ollieboy 3:52 AM - 3 April, 2018
So let's say standard party
-100 guest.
-5hrs
- Minimal MCing except a few announcements.
-Standard Lighting maybe a gig bar and a couple pars. No uplighting required.
-Mix genre of music
-Venue distance is 30 miles / 48 km

In Southern California, I would price this at $550
What would you price according to your area?
Go...!
577er 5:25 PM - 3 April, 2018
There are a lot of variables here.

-Is this for a friends house party or a legit event?
-Is this for a real DJ or someone who just plays music?
-Are we talking Saturdays between March and November?
-I live in one of the most expensive cities in the country so that's less than half a Saturday rate for a legit mobile DJ - $550 is more in line with the guys just starting out or craigslist bottom of the barrel part time, might not show up "DJs".
DJ Val-BKNY11203 11:56 PM - 3 April, 2018
Quote:

-I live in one of the most expensive cities in the country so that's less than half a Saturday rate for a legit mobile DJ - $550 is more in line with the guys just starting out or craigslist bottom of the barrel part time, might not show up "DJs".

So you are claiming $1100 a gig is bottom of the barrel where you are from? Where do you live?
577er 12:08 AM - 4 April, 2018
Washington DC. The “BOTTOM” is more like $550 but that’s hiring folks that aren’t pros. Just random folks who “DJ” whatever that ends up meaning. There is a large company here that has rates that start at $800 but they even say that’s not for their top talent. It’s the same in Boston & NY can’t speak to the west coast. There are plenty of “DJs” especially in NYC but you start talking to them about equipment or flexibility with music, or attention to detail and you realize there arn’t a lot of people you would trust an expensive event with. I’m mostly in the coperate & wedding worlds which are again more expensive than someone’s baby shower, etc, but a Saturday is a Saturday so you eventually have a floor you won’t go below.
Ollieboy 4:16 AM - 4 April, 2018
Let's say a standard Sat. nught mobile gig off a referral. Not one of the homies. Taking into account size of the party as to what is needed. I ask this because I quoted customers many times and unless it's corporate or a wedding nothing seems to sell over $600-700. You don't want to undersell but where's the median? Im curious how this plays across the different states. I know some areas have a higher income than others.
DJ Val-BKNY11203 10:49 AM - 4 April, 2018
Quote:
Washington DC. The “BOTTOM” is more like $550 but that’s hiring folks that aren’t pros. Just random folks who “DJ” whatever that ends up meaning. There is a large company here that has rates that start at $800 but they even say that’s not for their top talent. It’s the same in Boston & NY can’t speak to the west coast. There are plenty of “DJs” especially in NYC but you start talking to them about equipment or flexibility with music, or attention to detail and you realize there arn’t a lot of people you would trust an expensive event with. I’m mostly in the coperate & wedding worlds which are again more expensive than someone’s baby shower, etc, but a Saturday is a Saturday so you eventually have a floor you won’t go below.

I live in the DC area. The bottom you state is above the norm. The general public balks at $100 rates. That company is the exception to the rule. I am from Brooklyn & can speak for that market as well. The Mobile DJ circuit is not paying like that.
GusGomez 3:18 PM - 4 April, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

I live in the DC area. The bottom you state is above the norm. The general public balks at $100 rates. That company is the exception to the rule. I am from Brooklyn & can speak for that market as well. The Mobile DJ circuit is not paying like that.

I think he must be talking about private mobile gigs because I live in DC also and I know DJ's that charge $150 or even $100+a Hookah LOL!
Chino 5:57 PM - 4 April, 2018
Quote:
I ask this because I quoted customers many times and unless it's corporate or a wedding nothing seems to sell over $600-700.

Weddings, corporate events & bar/bat Mitzvahs is where the $$$ is at. Quinceaneras pay well too.
Aptidda 6:30 PM - 4 April, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

So you are claiming $1100 a gig is bottom of the barrel where you are from? Where do you live?

Washington DC the most "expensive area?" my ass. The BAY AREA CALIFORNIA is far and AWAY the absolute most expensive area anywhere.

lets do a little research shall we:
The recent median home price for properties in Washington was $575,000
The median home price in Alamo, CA is $1,629,200

Wow 3x the price of your blue collar peasant living hoopty driving impoverished degenerate shanty town.

I charge around $250 an hour just to show up with no lights and only speakers with a 5 hour minimum.
577er 7:11 PM - 4 April, 2018
"ONE OF the most expensive areas in the country" - see that part of the quote you omitted obviously for affect. SF is certainly the most expensive place in the US granted but "blue collar peasant living hoopty driving impoverished degenerate shanty town." I loled. DC is a cesspool of degenerate scum (i.e. lawyers) but the rest is just pure comedy. I'd be impressed if you could find DC on a map - unlike like most Americans - and yet you validate the rates I referenced. Weeeeeird.
djaction 10:31 PM - 4 April, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Washington DC the most "expensive area?" my ass. The BAY AREA CALIFORNIA is far and AWAY the absolute most expensive area anywhere.

Wow 3x the price of your blue collar peasant living hoopty driving impoverished degenerate shanty town.

I charge around $250 an hour just to show up with no lights and only speakers with a 5 hour minimum.

lol NY would like a word
Aptidda 11:22 PM - 4 April, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

lol NY would like a word

ya well at least the Bay Area Rapid Transit System (BART) doesn't have bums laying in piles of their own piss/bile/feces like every train you take in New York, and there for sure is no rats running around all over the place.
Mr. Goodkat 12:02 AM - 5 April, 2018
san fran has more bums than any city in the u.s.
DJ Reflex 12:52 AM - 5 April, 2018
Northern Illinois here (Rockford area)... I get anywhere from $750 to a grand for a wedding. School dances start at $300 and go all the way up to $1500 - depending on the equipment needed.
Ollieboy 2:16 AM - 5 April, 2018
Quote:
Northern Illinois here (Rockford area)... I get anywhere from $750 to a grand for a wedding. School dances start at $300 and go all the way up to $1500 - depending on the equipment needed.

Thanks Reflex
DJ Ness Nice 6:50 PM - 9 April, 2018
Upstate NY... Personally it depends what it is. Baby showers & kids bday party under 15 yrs old 200-250 for 4-5 hrs, basically $50/hr.. Adult (16+) Bday parties up to 5 hrs $400... Weddings start at $800 for 5hrs and i charge extra for anything extra (Lighting/gig bar $100, providing music for ceremony $100 etc.) usually end up around $900-$1200 depending on special request they have..

But in my area Dj pricing it not that much, being that im a urban radio Dj i can get a slightly higher price because ppl are familiar with me from radio and know my reputation so they know what they are getting.. But on average in my area its $100 (kid party) - $500 for a wedding. With the overall average being approx. $200-$250.

I always tell ppl standard prices, if you dont ask for it you wont get it. If for some reason my prices are out of their budget that i will ask them what their budget is looking like and we negotiate from there.
Ollieboy 9:23 PM - 9 April, 2018
Quote:
Upstate NY... Personally it depends what it is. Baby showers & kids bday party under 15 yrs old 200-250 for 4-5 hrs, basically $50/hr.. Adult (16+) Bday parties up to 5 hrs $400... Weddings start at $800 for 5hrs and i charge extra for anything extra (Lighting/gig bar $100, providing music for ceremony $100 etc.) usually end up around $900-$1200 depending on special request they have..

But in my area Dj pricing it not that much, being that im a urban radio Dj i can get a slightly higher price because ppl are familiar with me from radio and know my reputation so they know what they are getting.. But on average in my area its $100 (kid party) - $500 for a wedding. With the overall average being approx. $200-$250.

I always tell ppl standard prices, if you dont ask for it you wont get it. If for some reason my prices are out of their budget that i will ask them what their budget is looking like and we negotiate from there.

Thanks Ness. What you stated, pricing is somewhat similar for events I've been doing. I'm trying not to undersell but I just keep hearing about these $1000+ gigs but rarely see anyone willing to pay it. Unless it's a corporate event. But heck I was asked to do an in-store for RL-Polo and when I quoted $100/hr they said no thanks. Trying not to undersell and at the same time not loose any potential clients, publicity and $$$. It's a balancing act.
DJ Reflex 2:58 AM - 10 April, 2018
^^ Balancing act indeed! ^^

I got a buddy in my area who is charging up near $4000 for weddings! He gets the gigs, but at a cost...

1) He has to have THE top notch gear. Moving heads, trussing, up-lights, sound system... It's all A+ gear and super expensive! I use good gear, but can't even come close to the pro level this guy's at.

2) His DJ's are very well trained for what they do. I saw one of his guys rattle off the entire bridal party introductions from memory! Heck, if I didn't write down my own name - I'd forget it!

3) He deal with the most demanding bridzillas ever spawned by Pinterest. You think you've had a diva giving you guff about trivial stuff??? For four grand, you expect the DJ pick out the blue M&M's for you and feed you grapes. My guy knows this and is willing to put up with these women for that price. Not me!

Both hourly pricing and Event based pricing are great. "Package pricing" and "upgrade pricing" (a la carte) are good options too. you just have to know your area and stick with a system that works for you. Good luck!
Culprit 7:34 AM - 10 April, 2018
$150-$300 an hour, minimum 5 hours which mainly depends on equipment. That should cover at least one helper, gas, your time, your equipment maintenance and repair, future investments and marketing if your serious about your business.

If your not so serious, $50/$100 an hour, which barely covers your labor (for yourself), your gas, maintenance, marketing, and future investments.

It all depends on how serious you take yourself, or if it's just a hobby (which is also not a big tax write off).