DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

how to handle aftermath of embarassing technical malfunction at a gig

DJLatina 8:52 PM - 26 March, 2018
This weekend, I had a birthday party gig pop up at the last minute.

My DJ controller was in the repair shop at the time. Since I didn't want to spend a lot of money to rent or replace it, I thought I could just DJ off my laptop. I figured most people don't really care anyway as long as you're playing songs they like.

But then I realized I needed a mixer, so I bought a cheap one from Fry's, but the sound quality was so bad that I decided not to use it. So I rented a controller from Guitar Center at the last minute, but it died on me during the event, so I had to resort to plugging my cell phone directly into the speaker and playing YouTube videos off my phone the entire night. I was literally sitting on the floor next to my speaker and playing music off my phone the entire time. This is the worst technical malfunction I've had to date.

On top of that, the neighbors called the police and the sheriff showed up at their door.

I was so embarrassed about this whole thing that I didn't even want to charge them. They said they would still pay me but they haven't yet and I don't know if they're ever going to, but I'd rather lose that money than get a bad review from them. I was thinking of sending them an email to apologize and tell them they shouldn't feel obligated to pay me.

However, during the event, people were still dancing the entire time because my song selection was on point. I've done this enough times to have an idea of which songs work and which ones don't, so the dance floor was packed the entire time and several people complimented me. The client didn't seem upset and never complained but I was really, really disturbed by the whole situation.

What should I do now? Should I ask the client to pay me? Should I send them an email to apologize and tell them not to pay me? Or should I just leave it alone and not contact them any further unless they initiate?
Ollieboy 9:01 PM - 26 March, 2018
Would you have paid you? I wouldn't emphasize on the negative if you talk to them again. If they ask just explain what happened. Every gig is a learning experience. For future use get a back up controller. The Numark Dj2Go2 would have been a great back up in this situation. It's only $79 and is specifically for situations like this. Hope all works out.
Ollieboy 9:06 PM - 26 March, 2018
Also upgrade to SeratoDj Pro. You don't need a controller to live mix with it now if times get really desperate.
DJLatina 9:09 PM - 26 March, 2018
Quote:
Also upgrade to SeratoDj Pro. You don't need a controller to live mix with it now if times get really desperate.

I already upgraded to Serato DJ Pro. I know practice mode has 2 decks.
I tried plugging in my laptop directly into the speaker but I wasn't getting any audio output. After a minute or two, i just gave up and plugged in my phone.
DJLatina 9:20 PM - 26 March, 2018
Quote:
Would you have paid you? I wouldn't emphasize on the negative if you talk to them again. If they ask just explain what happened. Every gig is a learning experience. For future use get a back up controller. The Numark Dj2Go2 would have been a great back up in this situation. It's only $79 and is specifically for situations like this. Hope all works out.

Yes I would have because people were still dancing and enjoying themselves
Ollieboy 9:22 PM - 26 March, 2018
The direct plug from the computer should have worked unless you're using a stereo 1/8 to1/4 " then it messes up the output
DJLatina 9:23 PM - 26 March, 2018
Quote:
The direct plug from the computer should have worked unless you're using a stereo 1/8 to1/4 " then it messes up the output

I was surprised that it wasn't working, I know it should've because it's worked in the past, I was using an RCA to aux cable. Anyway, I gave up after a minute or two of trying because I didn't want a long pause between the music
pdidy 11:24 PM - 26 March, 2018
DJ Reflex 4:15 PM - 27 March, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

I was surprised that it wasn't working, I know it should've because it's worked in the past, I was using an RCA to aux cable. Anyway, I gave up after a minute or two of trying because I didn't want a long pause between the music

www.rane.com

I've made a few of these cables for myself and friends... They work from 1/8" output on phone directly to mono - balanced connections on your speaker(s). The limiting resistors inside reduce distortions caused by summing two stereo signals into a single source. Also, be sure your 1/8" is TRS (Tip-Ring-Sleeve) with only 3 contact points. Newer cables might have the 4th ring for volume control and the like. This will cause issues with a normal balanced or unbalanced input (1/4" or XLR).
DJ Reflex 4:17 PM - 27 March, 2018
And by the way, I'd let the chips fall where they may on this one. If they pay you, great! If not, chalk it up as a lesson learned.
Logisticalstyles 5:23 PM - 27 March, 2018
Quote:
so I had to resort to plugging my cell phone directly into the speaker and playing YouTube videos off my phone the entire night.

Aren't you the same DJ that got booted off of a festival stage last year for playing music from Youtube?
I really recommend you take some time to get your setup and music together. I understand you are a newer DJ and want to get a name for yourself but based on a couple of your posts here I would say you are doing more damage to your reputation by playing at these gigs that you are not prepared for.
DJ Marv the Maverick 6:15 PM - 27 March, 2018
You posted on another thread about the controller situation or maybe it wasn't you. But If it was you I remember that most comments was that you should get a smaller controller whilst yours is being fixed.

There are numerous sub $300 controllers out there with full control

www.agiprodj.com

www.agiprodj.com

www.agiprodj.com

www.agiprodj.com
The Return of Dj Sparky 7:04 PM - 27 March, 2018
the fact that you didn't get your ass kicked for showing up and playing youtube vids off your phone and expecting to be paid is a miracle, i think you should pursue a new hobby, maybe flipping a bottle of water and gettting your mates to film it and go wild if you can land it
Robbie O 9:30 PM - 27 March, 2018
Quote:
I thought I could just DJ off my laptop. I figured most people don't really care anyway as long as you're playing songs they like.

Its this mentality that scares me... We as DJs shouldn't take our crowds ignorance as an excuse to give an inferior product. smh... When you go to restaurant, unless you have cooking knowledge, you can't explain why that food was great compared to that other spot. You just know it was dope. You can use what ever you want, but if you use tools that wont give your clients your best version of "this is dope" you have failed. People know a dope DJ when they feel one...Stop cutting corners

also, I've gotten countless gigs by giving my best, even at a gig that I felt was "beneath me". Your performance is your business card. Take pride in that even if it cost you money.
DJ Unique 11:04 PM - 27 March, 2018
Quote:
You posted on another thread about the controller situation or maybe it wasn't you. But If it was you I remember that most comments was that you should get a smaller controller whilst yours is being fixed.

There are numerous sub $300 controllers out there with full control

www.agiprodj.com

www.agiprodj.com

www.agiprodj.com

www.agiprodj.com

My previous advice was to purchase a small back-up controller.
Oh well... hopefully this has taught you to be prepared for anything that comes your way.
fvckJuly 9:53 AM - 28 March, 2018
Quote:
expecting to be paid

did you even read the post? they clearly said that they (she?) didn't want the client to pay them, however the client said that they would still pay them (the DJ).

I don't see why everyone is feeling some type of way about this, it's just a messed up situation, shit happens all the time and this is just a prime example of everything that could possibly go wrong going wrong.
Logisticalstyles 12:55 PM - 28 March, 2018
Because this isn't a one time thing. She's posted before and even asked advice about the things that went wrong. She's admitted and even been told before that playing from Youtube is a bad idea. She's asked about and was given advice on record pools and other quality sources of music. She's asked about and was given advice on how to handle her broken controller issue. Now she's had yet another poor performance and is back on the forums asking "what should I do?".
fvckJuly 1:14 PM - 28 March, 2018
Quote:
She's posted before

just went through her history. never fucking mind lmao
pdidy 5:33 PM - 28 March, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
She's posted before

Im literally at work laughing out loud!
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 1:23 AM - 29 March, 2018
Lmao...

Quote:
Aren't you the same DJ that got booted off of a festival stage last year for playing music from Youtube?

Quote:
the fact that you didn't get your ass kicked for showing up and playing youtube vids off your phone and expecting to be paid is a miracle,

Quote:

It never ends....
Chino 1:32 AM - 29 March, 2018
Quote:
Your performance is your business card. Take pride in that even if it cost you money.

+1