Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Serato dj pro with Yosemite?

AJRockstar 4:34 PM - 23 March, 2018
Can we confirm that it works ? It's officially not supported on Serato website? I am using the pioneer s9 and 1200s. So want to make sure that I don't need to upgrade to elcapitan or the Sierra etc.
popnwave 7:34 PM - 23 March, 2018
Mavericks and Yosemite (which I run) work just fine. Serato has stated that they officially support the last 3 OS versions, but older ones should continue to work just fine. It's to keep the scope of tech support a little more manageable.
AJRockstar 7:39 PM - 23 March, 2018
Got it. Thanks
gotlunch 10:44 PM - 29 March, 2018
I had no issues with it on Yosemite on a mid 2012 MBP, you should be good AJ.
AJRockstar 2:26 AM - 1 April, 2018
Quote:

Thanks! I just downgraded from High Sierra to El Capitan and it runs smooth as butter. I was having intermittent waveform freezing with High Sierra, but not with El Capitan.
BiggTone408 1:24 PM - 2 May, 2018
Quote:

Is it still running fine on Yosemite? What is the longest you’ve had it running with Yosemite?
mixgoonie 1:50 PM - 2 May, 2018
SDJ PRO has been perfectly running on my hackingtosh on Yosemite.
Dj cuervo 2:48 PM - 2 May, 2018
I'm back on Yosemite... no issues. I had a ton of issues on High Sierra... random crashes, high CPU, and waveform lag!!!!
popnwave 2:50 PM - 2 May, 2018
I installed Yosemite at the start of 2015 (about 3 months after it came out) and have stayed on it. El Cap was a huge mess right when it came out, but after a few updates it settled down and might be the only upgrade I consider. Sierra and High Sierra are of no interest to me on my mid 2012.
thorissr 3:20 PM - 2 May, 2018
I’m running SDJ Pro 2.02 and Yosemite on my rmbp 15 mid 2012 with absolutely no issues to date. I’m also running the same version of SDJ on Sierra 10.12.6 on my 15” mid 2014 rMbp with great results as well.

I’ve decided to stay away from High Sierra and will only deal with it unless I decide to upgrade one of my MacBook Pro’s this summer. Having to buy adapters/dongles/docks to use USB products has to grow on me first. :)
dj_soo 2:16 AM - 3 May, 2018
I was running mavericks with the beta since last year with no problems. Have since updated to el cap because of ableton 10 and it honestly felt a little smoother on mavericks, but still no major problems with dj pro. Been using a Rane 62, Roland 505, and vestax vci 380.
DJ Tecniq 3:04 AM - 3 May, 2018
High Sierra is the latest MacOS it will always use more cpu than any previous OS so on older machines it will prob run like shit. Anything 2014 or above should be ok though.
CMOS 12:50 PM - 3 May, 2018
2013 Macbook Air with 4gb of Ram on High Sierra. The program runs perfectly.

Ive been doing a lot of troubleshooting for friends lately and most of the problems have been because their machines are unknowingly filled with crapware.

You dont need crazy specs to run High Sierra and SDJ Pro. You just need a clean machine. If you are having SDJ issues run Malwarebytes on your Mac.

I even posted a thread about corrupt files causing issues on my buddies machine and in the end it turned out to be malware on his Mac, and some old blackberry software that was eating up CPU resources as it was uninstalled incorrectly.
WildcardX 1:16 PM - 3 May, 2018
Serato DJ Pro runs well on Yosemite and High Sierra for me, both clean install on 2 separate SSDs on a late 2011 Macbook Pro 13. CPU usage is actually about the same on both installs surprisingly as well. the key here "Clean Installation".
BiggTone408 1:47 PM - 3 May, 2018
Quote:
Serato DJ Pro runs well on Yosemite and High Sierra for me, both clean install on 2 separate SSDs on a late 2011 Macbook Pro 13. CPU usage is actually about the same on both installs surprisingly as well. the key here "Clean Installation".

Good to hear! I’m also using a late 2011 MBP with SSD. The only reason why I stay on Yosemite is because 1 of the clubs I dj has an SL4 and for some reason there are issues using Serato dj with it so I use scratch live. Can any Djs here post how many hours they’ve used Pro with Yosemite?
WildcardX 4:13 PM - 3 May, 2018
Quote:
Good to hear! I’m also using a late 2011 MBP with SSD. The only reason why I stay on Yosemite is because 1 of the clubs I dj has an SL4 and for some reason there are issues using Serato dj with it so I use scratch live. Can any Djs here post how many hours they’ve used Pro with Yosemite?

I've done at least 6 hours straight no issue. And you are right about if you need to use SSL to stay Yosemite.
BiggTone408 10:20 PM - 4 May, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

I've done at least 6 hours straight no issue. And you are right about if you need to use SSL to stay Yosemite.

You’re the man! Thanks for posting!
WarpNote 1:22 AM - 5 May, 2018
2012 mbp 13 on yosemite. Runs well for me. Djm900nxs, djm900nxs2, djm900srt, djm-s9, rane62, ddj sx, rane sl4, korg kaoss dj. Combo of either control vinyl or cdj2000 HID.
Kris P 11:28 AM - 25 February, 2019
So very similar to above running Yosemite as wanted scratch live back up where one place still has a 57. Current set up 29 with macbook pro. Heres the weird thing worked flawlessly for 10 months with s9 and also sl2 box on 2.0 I then upgraded to 2.1 which wasnt as smooth so I deleted 2.1 and went back to 2.0 , now when I use a sl2 it is fine but s9 drops out after say 2 to 3 hours into set . Have optimised etc its really bugging my head. Sl2 plays for 6 hours no issues. Only thing I can think is that 2.1 has left something on my system to cause this firmware etc on s9 updated
John Calipari 1:12 PM - 25 February, 2019
As long as it's a 64-Bit MacOS and Serato doesn't verbally exclude it, it should be fine.

That said, I have heard that as far as fair and balanced resource management, Yosemite is the most efficient. Not sure if that's true as I haven't run it in years.
Kris P 4:25 AM - 1 March, 2019
So further to post narrowed down the problem. Last 4 sets at exactly 12.15 the glitch happens. Iv changed cables etc . This must be something in my mac that causes it to crash as it does it at the same time I have a friend and they said there's is the same at 2 o clock. It must be something from the 2.1 download that has stayed on the machine. Is there a fix for this am I missing something could i delete serato clean and go back 2.0 and then still keep crates
DJ Tecniq 5:02 AM - 1 March, 2019
Quote:
So further to post narrowed down the problem. Last 4 sets at exactly 12.15 the glitch happens. Iv changed cables etc . This must be something in my mac that causes it to crash as it does it at the same time I have a friend and they said there's is the same at 2 o clock. It must be something from the 2.1 download that has stayed on the machine. Is there a fix for this am I missing something could i delete serato clean and go back 2.0 and then still keep crates
So just use a previous version of Serato then🤷🏼‍♂️