DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

I have a gig in 2 days and my controller died on me..what should i do?

DJLatina 7:34 PM - 22 March, 2018
My higher-end DJ controller recently died on me. Yesterday I took it to a repair shop but it probably won't be ready for another 1-2 weeks.

So, I just had a gig pop up at the last minute for this Saturday and I have no controller to DJ with.

I guess I could get by on just a laptop and some automixing software. I did that for my first few gigs and I guess most people don't really care as long as you're playing songs they like. But that feels like a huge step back to me.

But at the same time, I don't know if it'd be worth it to buy a shitty replacement controller (i.e. a Mixtrack Pro, We2GO, etc) or rent one if these are just informal, $200 gigs.
Ollie 7:38 PM - 22 March, 2018
borrow one from a friend who won't charge you
DJ Unique 4:04 AM - 23 March, 2018
I say buy a cheaper one for now and that could be your back-up once the main one is fixed.

Always have a back of everything.
Mixer / Controller
Laptop
External HD
Microphone
Cables
etc
dj_soo 8:35 AM - 23 March, 2018
Buy something from somewhere with a good return policy and return it after the gig.
DJ Unique 5:24 PM - 23 March, 2018
Quote:
Buy something from somewhere with a good return policy and return it after the gig.

Sounds similar to buying something to wear and returning it after the party.

If you don't want to buy, you should consider renting from a fellow DJ.
There are a bunch of DJs everywhere and I'm sure some have extra gear for rent.
DTweed 9:11 PM - 23 March, 2018
Quote:
My higher-end DJ controller recently died on me. Yesterday I took it to a repair shop but it probably won't be ready for another 1-2 weeks.

So, I just had a gig pop up at the last minute for this Saturday and I have no controller to DJ with.

I guess I could get by on just a laptop and some automixing software. I did that for my first few gigs and I guess most people don't really care as long as you're playing songs they like. But that feels like a huge step back to me.

But at the same time, I don't know if it'd be worth it to buy a shitty replacement controller (i.e. a Mixtrack Pro, We2GO, etc) or rent one if these are just informal, $200 gigs.

I would get a DDJ SB it's great, cheap and more than capable of doing the job it's also great for traveling and practicing mixes on the go
Good3go85 12:47 AM - 24 March, 2018
RENT OR BUY AND RETURN IN THE FUTURE GET TURNTABLES AND A PRO MIXER SAVE THE HEADACHES
4mydawgz 1:17 AM - 24 March, 2018
plax yourself
The Times 6:05 PM - 26 March, 2018
I would buy from somewhere and then return, thats just me though. Its not the most ethical...but yea.
BTW howd the gig go
popnwave 3:41 PM - 27 March, 2018
Quote:

In a pinch I'd do this as well. And afterwards make sure I at least have a cheapo controller to cover next time around.
Burny 6:09 PM - 27 March, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

In a pinch I'd do this as well. And afterwards make sure I at least have a cheapo controller to cover next time around.

So basically, you admit you are a thief. bet you download your youtube music as well.
popnwave 6:50 PM - 27 March, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

So basically, you admit you are a thief. bet you download your youtube music as well.

That's a terrible correlation, and I bet I've spent more on my collection than you have over the past 20 years, and even the last week ;)
DJ Marv the Maverick 8:45 AM - 28 March, 2018
Quote:
I would buy from somewhere and then return, thats just me though. Its not the most ethical...but yea.
BTW howd the gig go

There ya go serato.com
DJ Marv the Maverick 8:52 AM - 28 March, 2018
Quote:

I will be super anxious about doing this. What if someone spills a drink on it or a burglary or something.

I'd buy a cheap controller and when my main unit returns from the repair shop...I will keep the new one as back up still.
popnwave 3:04 PM - 28 March, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

I will be super anxious about doing this. What if someone spills a drink on it or a burglary or something.

I'd buy a cheap controller and when my main unit returns from the repair shop...I will keep the new one as back up still.

That's a great idea as well! Get that hurdle out of the way.