DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Wireless Lavalier as Primary Mic (excluding weddings)

thorissr 3:50 PM - 22 March, 2018
Does anyone use a wireless lavalier as their primary communication tool while gigging? I’m sure this may apply to wedding events, but I’m curious if anyone uses a lavalier setup during club, house parties etc.

I know you can buy the combo systems (lavalier/mic) and usually lavaliers don’t pickup your voice as good as a handheld mic. Is this the reason why you don’t see lavaliers used on a regular basis?

Thanks
Dj Stylz-1 1:02 AM - 23 March, 2018
Hey man,

Lavs are super sensitive and can get really expensive to get the quality of a handheld. They also require a lot of tweaking so that you don't get feedback.

Handhelds sound way better, and if you spend a little extra cash for a good one, they are good right out of the box.
thorissr 1:22 AM - 23 March, 2018
Quote:
Hey man,

Lavs are super sensitive and can get really expensive to get the quality of a handheld. They also require a lot of tweaking so that you don't get feedback.

Handhelds sound way better, and if you spend a little extra cash for a good one, they are good right out of the box.

Much appreciated DJ Stylz!!
Dj Stylz-1 1:23 AM - 23 March, 2018
No problem !
DJ_Dad 11:57 AM - 23 March, 2018
a MUCH better option is the headset mics. New ones are super small and lack many of the common problems that plague lab mics.
thorissr 12:52 PM - 23 March, 2018
Quote:
a MUCH better option is the headset mics. New ones are super small and lack many of the common problems that plague lab mics.

Thanks DJ Dad!!

I was contemplating the wireless headset after finding out the cons of the lav setup. Are there any cons associated with the headset route other than adjusting the sensitivity? I read that this can be an issue.
DJBhD 2:33 PM - 23 March, 2018
The only con I have when using a headset mic is just getting used to make sure you mute it in between your crowd interactions. Unlike the handheld mic or microphone on a stand where you can leave the mic live and just pull away, the headset mic is constantly by your mouth so make sure you mute it when your having a general conversation with the club staff, patrons, etc. I prefer the handheld but the headset does have it's advantages. Just something to think about.
deezlee 4:32 PM - 23 March, 2018
The main drawback to a headset is looking like Janet Jackson. Or a motivational speaker.
thorissr 4:38 PM - 23 March, 2018
Quote:
The only con I have when using a headset mic is just getting used to make sure you mute it in between your crowd interactions. Unlike the handheld mic or microphone on a stand where you can leave the mic live and just pull away, the headset mic is constantly by your mouth so make sure you mute it when your having a general conversation with the club staff, patrons, etc. I prefer the handheld but the headset does have it's advantages. Just something to think about.

Good point....my mixer has an on off switch so if I go this route I’ll have to make it a habit to control my interaction with the on off button on my mixer.

Thanks
DJ Unique 5:21 PM - 23 March, 2018
Quote:

Seems like a hassle to use and DJ since you will also need headphones.... unless of course you mix visually.... LOL