DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Wireless mic recomendations under $600?

Videolife 3:41 AM - 21 March, 2018
Subject says it all. Any good one's to be had for $600 or less?

Also, what are your thoughts on the Sennheiser G series for mobile DJs? I wanted to pick this up:

www.sweetwater.com

But I also wanted something a little less expensive as a backup.

Not sure if I'd be overdoing it or not, but the thought crossed my mind to have a wired mic as a third backup. What do you all think of the Shure Beta 58A? According to (I believe it was) DiscJockeyNews on Youtube, it's supercardioid and doesn't feed back as much as the other mics do. Thoughts?
Dj Wunder 6:02 AM - 21 March, 2018
I'm a huge fan of Sennheiser, I don't think you can go wrong with anything in their lineup. The XS Wireless are well under $600 and rock solid, quality sound. The one you're looking at is great, if not overkill for purely mobile DJ'ing, but gives you room to grow
fvckJuly 2:07 PM - 21 March, 2018
Quote:
have a wired mic as a third backup

why do you need another wireless system as a backup? if a wireless system was to fuck me over during a gig, I'd immediately switch to wired lmao
deezlee 3:31 PM - 21 March, 2018
Shure blx sm58
The beta requires the user to have more mic control (point/position it correctly) due to the pattern I believe.
I think that's why I stick w the classic.
I don't exactly remember though, I'm old and I've been using the classics forever.
pdidy 5:05 PM - 21 March, 2018
I own a $600 Sennheiser EW 135 G3 but you can't turn off the handheld mic without getting the "loud static issue". Read this thread before buying. serato.com

Imho a $1000 mic is overkill for basic dj use, you can get a high-quality mic that fits your usage at half the price.
Videolife 5:54 PM - 21 March, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
have a wired mic as a third backup

why do you need another wireless system as a backup? if a wireless system was to fuck me over during a gig, I'd immediately switch to wired lmao

Well, my reasoning for the second wireless wasn't so much a backup in the event that the first one went out, but just in case two people needed to speak. I'd rather give those who felt the need to move around the comfort of doing so without them worrying about where the wire was, what it's getting tangled by, who it might trip up or whatever else. The third wired mic would be in case one (or, if somehow, both) of the two wireless mics failed. That, or if I was at an event that required two mics and one failed, I could then just use the wired one alongside the wireless.

Quote:
Shure blx sm58
The beta requires the user to have more mic control (point/position it correctly) due to the pattern I believe.
I think that's why I stick w the classic.
I don't exactly remember though, I'm old and I've been using the classics forever.

I'll look into it right now. Thanks.

Quote:
I own a $600 Sennheiser EW 135 G3 but you can't turn off the handheld mic without getting the "loud static issue". Read this thread before buying. serato.com

Imho a $1000 mic is overkill for basic dj use, you can get a high-quality mic that fits your usage at half the price.

Damn, that stinks. Seems to be an issue with turning off the transmitter and even while it's on, too. One guy in that thread mentioned that it happened while he was using it. That's exactly (and obviously) what I don't want.

What would you recommend, though? I"m not looking at price, so whether it's $200 or $2,000, I just want a reliable mic, that can be used long distances, with no static or whatever else and something from a company who's proven their reliability. From what I've read, the Shure SM58 seems to be the industry standard (or the Shure Beta 58A, which supposedly is better) when it comes to wired mics, but is there a wireless standard for mobile DJs? Or does everyone just have different stuff? Better yet...if you were on the market for a new mic, what would you get? Anything you have in mind or not really?
deezlee 10:19 PM - 21 March, 2018
I looked into the digital ones and ended up with the shire blx which is the older analog tech but for wedding DJ style applications it can be better then digital. I had the budget for the newer tech but the blx works great.
Videolife 11:52 PM - 21 March, 2018
Are you talking about the same one deezlee has? The SM58?
Rebelguy 12:31 AM - 22 March, 2018
Quote:
I looked into the digital ones and ended up with the shire blx which is the older analog tech but for wedding DJ style applications it can be better then digital. /quote]

The new Shure digital lines easily surpass their analog systems in sound quality and reliability. I currently use Shure QLXD systems with Beta58 and SM86 capsules. Sold all my Sennheiser G3 systems and never looked back.
Rebelguy 12:31 AM - 22 March, 2018
Quote fail. 🙄

The new Shure digital lines easily surpass their analog systems in sound quality and reliability. I currently use Shure QLXD systems with Beta58 and SM86 capsules. Sold all my Sennheiser G3 systems and never looked back.
Videolife 1:56 AM - 22 March, 2018
Rebelguy, this the one you have?

www.guitarcenter.com
Rebelguy 2:16 AM - 22 March, 2018
Quote:
Rebelguy, this the one you have?

www.guitarcenter.com

That’s the transmitter I have. You also need the receiver.
Videolife 2:20 AM - 22 March, 2018
Rebelguy 4:54 AM - 22 March, 2018
Yup. That is the one.
deezlee 5:08 AM - 22 March, 2018
Yeah when I got mine the q series wasn't out yet.
The glx was the digital option that I was looking at and it was on the wi-fi spectrum so it had possible interference issues, plus it's range was 100ft compared to 300ft for the blx.
So yeah, I guess my experience is outdated on this one.
That said, I've never had a problem with my BLX.
Videolife 5:46 AM - 22 March, 2018
Thanks, Rebelguy. Thanks for your input, too, deezlee.
Videolife 5:51 AM - 22 March, 2018
Rebel...sorry for the bother - just one more question for you. There are three models listed:

- G50 Band, 470-530 MHz
- H50 Band, 534-597 Mhz
- V50 - Band

Really not sure what the MHz means at this point, so I'll have to default to your judgment, but would you please tell me which of the three you have?
Dj Wunder 8:11 AM - 22 March, 2018
Quote:
Quote fail. 🙄

The reason I sold off my digital systems was because of Wifi interference. I run a lot of wireless devices in the 2.4 ghz range out of my system, and that caused all types of hell with 2.4 ghz digital mics, so I went back to anaolog
The Silver Boombox Thief 3:19 PM - 6 April, 2018
Quote:

The reason I sold off my digital systems was because of Wifi interference. I run a lot of wireless devices in the 2.4 ghz range out of my system, and that caused all types of hell with 2.4 ghz digital mics, so I went back to anaolog

What digi system did you run?

I picked up Audio Technica’s system 10 Pros ,(2.4 ghz) last season for lapel mics at weddings. They worked pretty much flawless. I run no wireless devices.

Just picked up the same, but as 2x hand held mics for this year. Hoping for the same.

I’m replacing my shure blx system in the K12 frequency. This frequency can no longer be used in 2020. If anyone isn’t familiar with this situation, do some research before spending your money.

Blx reception was excellent. The mic itself was very sensitive to hand sound, especially if the user wore rings. Very hollow. Given the price, I’d give it a solid 9 out of 10.
thorissr 4:34 PM - 6 April, 2018
I picked up a blx system H9 frequency a few weeks ago and it’s been treating me well so far. As you mentioned it’s also vulnerable to and susceptible to handling noise if you don’t handle it gently. Other than that the range is phenomenal, even when it doesn’t have direct line of sight. For only 3 bones it fit my needs perfectly.
Videolife 9:33 PM - 6 April, 2018
Quote:
...the K12 frequency. This frequency can no longer be used in 2020. If anyone isn’t familiar with this situation, do some research before spending your money.

Tried to look this up...found nothing. Would you mind explaining, please?
Dj Wunder 2:41 AM - 7 April, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

What digi system did you run?

Line 6. Best wireless microphones I've used so far. Sound quality was tops, and response was customizable. Zero handling noise. V75 should be less than $500 nowadays, and I picked up the V70 for $200 on craigslist. Both rock solid...

...until....

I added personal hotspot, wireless DMX, etc.... then all hell broke loose. I checked and re-checked the troubleshooting steps, configurations, got on the phone with Line 6, everything. In the end I had to sell
The Silver Boombox Thief 4:04 PM - 8 April, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
...the K12 frequency. This frequency can no longer be used in 2020. If anyone isn’t familiar with this situation, do some research before spending your money.

Tried to look this up...found nothing. Would you mind explaining, please?

Check this article and surf around. Be cautious before you invest in anything wireless. Expect a flood of used product on eBay, etc. I paid around $550 x2 + extras for my blx system which will no longer be reliable after 2020. Shure’s rebate program gets me $100 total. Good luck.

www.shure.com
Videolife 7:39 PM - 8 April, 2018
Damn, that’s crazy. I wonder how many people are going to be affected by this.

Anyway, I appreciate the heads up and the link. Thanks a lot. You potentially saved me some money, for sure.
Logisticalstyles 1:58 PM - 12 April, 2018
I'm trying to move on from my Shure ULX-P. It's a great mic and I've never had any issues with it but it falls within the frequency of the FCC ban. I've been checking on ebay to see what they are going for now and it's a bit depressing. This set up used to go for $800-900, now it's getting about $350. It was always more than I needed for the type of gigs that I do so now I'm thinking about downgrading to something like the BLX

Quote:
I picked up a blx system H9 frequency a few weeks ago and it’s been treating me well so far. As you mentioned it’s also vulnerable to and susceptible to handling noise if you don’t handle it gently. Other than that the range is phenomenal, even when it doesn’t have direct line of sight. For only 3 bones it fit my needs perfectly.