Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Serato DJ Pro screen jumps/flickers/lag

Nathan Looney 4:10 PM - 2 March, 2018
Has anyone had Serato DJ Pro screen flicker/jump/lag during a performance? I have used DJ Pro 2.0 on two different systems and encountered the screen flash/flicker/lag a few times. The music did not stop and it did not seem to affect playback but it doesn't seem stable visually.

Running 2016 MacBook Pro Touch Bar, 3.1GHz, 16GB Ram and 2TB SSD Drive. The mac daddy of the MacBook Pros so I know it's not the computer.

Experienced on both set-ups:
Pioneer DJM 900 NXS-2 with 2 CDJ 2000NXS
&
Pioneer DDJ SZ

I also want to say some of the beat grids were off as well but I am not 100%. I don't use sync but I do use the grids as a visual mark and some appeared to be off. I will make note if I notice this again this weekend and also make note of the tracks as well. I know some people are having issues but I was paying attention more to the dancefloor last night, so I am not 100%.

I did a 90-minute recording with no issues on the recording, so this is good.

What other issues if any are other MacBook Pro Serato Pro users experiencing?

I will be running more test this weekend and follow-up to this post.
djdonnydee 4:33 PM - 2 March, 2018
since using Pro its been clipping (red/yellow light) on me but i noticed this more when using Mix Emergency when trying to mix videos. Ive had clippings a lot before pro when using pitch n time. I'm still testing this and i got my weekly gig tonight mixing videos.
popnwave 4:45 PM - 2 March, 2018
What year macbook pro are you using? I've had 0 issues on my mid 2012.
djdonnydee 4:57 PM - 2 March, 2018
Late 2011 MBP
popnwave 5:01 PM - 2 March, 2018
You running High Sierra or something older?

On a 2011 I'd highly recommend Yosemite, and if that doesn't play nice you might have one of the cursed 2011s with the faulty video/logic boards and it's starting to go out.
djdonnydee 5:09 PM - 2 March, 2018
running High Sirerra but before installing Pro it wouldnt clip on me running ME and even downloading videos at times during my gig. I know i had issues of clipping when having PnT turned on... I'll try Yosemite if it keeps clipping
Nathan Looney 8:22 PM - 2 March, 2018
I will be mixing and recording tonight on my Pioneer DJM 900 NXS 2 & CDJ 2000 NXS. I will make note of any issues or glitches I might have. Again, when I played before the audio never dropped out, this is a goods thing and I am running macOS High Sierra 10.13.3.

I notice a great difference in the display now, much clearer. However, the somewhat grainy display that everyone complained about in the previous versions did not bother me. I try not to look at the laptop as much as possible when DJing.

I can say, I have not noticed any improvement or better performance from 1.9 to SDJ Pro 2.0. I like all of the new features but I haven't noticed any improvements in performance. However, I rarely had issues and I was DJing three nights a week.
DJ BernieB (Toronto) 6:35 PM - 4 March, 2018
I believe it's the Hi-Res feature that really pushes the CPU when it's activated on Retinas.

I just picked up a mid 2014 13" MacBook Pro i7 3.0 16GB and added a brand new 1TB SSD and am on Yosemite. I noticed recording audio with the HiRes on and video activated but not running, the CPU bar on the top right went from 30% to 80%. As soon as I unactivated video and the turned off the hiRes, it dropped to 20-30%.

Also with the hi-res on, I saw the flashing flicker on the left playing deck at times. I didn't have flip or pnt on but will test once serato fixes my pnt license as it's not active.

Also, my platters on the DDJ-SX were really sensitive when touching and I am using the low buffer in Serato at 2.

I did find the BPM or songs drift off when mixing which I never previously noticed but am still testing as I was mixing old school which had a tendency to drift anyways.

Before I ran a 2014 15" MacBook Pro on Yosemite with dedicated video on Serato DJ 1.95 using video with no issues. I will test both 2014 machines, the 15" and 13" and report back.
DJ BernieB (Toronto) 3:41 AM - 5 March, 2018
I retested and now while recording audio and running with HiRes on, the CPU in serato dj Pro is only about 50-60% on the top right bar.

I guess shutting off video made a good difference.

More tests to come.
FOTSBEATS2 4:30 AM - 5 March, 2018
Quote:
Has anyone had Serato DJ Pro screen flicker/jump/lag during a performance? I have used DJ Pro 2.0 on two different systems and encountered the screen flash/flicker/lag a few times. The music did not stop and it did not seem to affect playback but it doesn't seem stable visually.

Running 2016 MacBook Pro Touch Bar, 3.1GHz, 16GB Ram and 2TB SSD Drive. The mac daddy of the MacBook Pros so I know it's not the computer.

&
Pioneer DDJ SZ

I also want to say some of the beat grids were off as well but I am not 100%. I don't use sync but I do use the grids as a visual mark and some appeared to be off. I will make note if I notice this again this weekend and also make note of the tracks as well. I know some people are having issues but I was paying attention more to the dancefloor last night, so I am not 100%.

Nathan,

This is likely a bug specific to touchbar macs that has to do with the ambient light sensor. I was experiencing the same symptons (2017 MacBook Pro with Touchbar).

System Preferences > Keyboard > "Touch Bar Shows" set to either of the options that don't include "App Controls" was an instant fix. You can test this by running your set up and shining a bright light into the sensor (next to the webcam), this should re create the waveform lag you're experiencing and it should stop once you update the above settings.

Cheers
DJ Laitier 9:17 AM - 6 March, 2018
Quote:

Nathan,

This is likely a bug specific to touchbar macs that has to do with the ambient light sensor. I was experiencing the same symptons (2017 MacBook Pro with Touchbar).

System Preferences > Keyboard > "Touch Bar Shows" set to either of the options that don't include "App Controls" was an instant fix. You can test this by running your set up and shining a bright light into the sensor (next to the webcam), this should re create the waveform lag you're experiencing and it should stop once you update the above settings.

Cheers

Indeed this works. Hopefully there comes a fix for this issue soon
Nathan Looney 3:17 AM - 7 March, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

&
Pioneer DDJ SZ

Nathan,

Cheers

I think that was it, I saw that on another post.
Nathan Looney 3:17 AM - 7 March, 2018
Thanks again for all the input.
DJ Laitier 8:47 AM - 16 March, 2018
So I was DJ last Saturday in a Club and used that little Trick, but sometimes the WaveView still flickers and lags. Hope this gets fixed soon
Nathan Looney 1:46 AM - 19 March, 2018
I had some flickering last night while djing. No audio drop outs though, but the waveforms seem to jump as if they were trying to lock onto the beat grids. I never use sync nor have sync selected in the settings. But the flickers seem to be jumping to the beat grids. Maybe random. I also had high rez off as well.

I have made many recordings with 2.0 and no audio drop outs just jumpy waveforms.
dj zaza 10:33 AM - 19 March, 2018
that there is a problem with the waveform is now clear, as regards those small jumps that you see every now and then, do this test, disable the sync, so as to no longer have the grids on the track, I noticed that the problem goes away, the waveform is still not smooth.
DJ dVO 12:50 PM - 19 March, 2018
Same here on my late MBP 2011. I am okay so long it doesn't crash! LOL
DJ Radyus 10:09 PM - 19 March, 2018
So I think i'm having the same issue, When I play music with or without equipment connected the sound wave will stop for like a split second and then start rite back up, So far it hasn't caused any crashes but I really would like to know how to get rid of that. I makes me nervous.
It only started when I upgraded to DJ Pro. Im running late 2011 MBP, i7 2.4GHz, 16G ram with Yosemite. Iv been thinking about moving up to High Sierra but from what Im reading here that doesn't sound like the move to make. What can I do to stop this?
DJRashaun 10:59 PM - 19 March, 2018
Same issue here! Its happening all across the board with new macs and older ones. Kind of crazy to see the waves stop and go randomly for a second.
Millz 11:55 PM - 19 March, 2018
I have not experienced these bugs where it was causing any performance issues, but I definitely seen the waveforms lagging 0.5-1.5 seconds behind the actual audio sometimes.
mud_mouthed 1:18 AM - 20 March, 2018
Quote:
Same issue here! Its happening all across the board with new macs and older ones. Kind of crazy to see the waves stop and go randomly for a second.

It's happening on PCs as well.

TBH I'm starting to think this might be an alright thing for me personally because I've started to rely too much on the visual wave forms when mixing then the actually music in my headphones.
muzikmysta 1:19 AM - 20 March, 2018
I have been getting that same problem with DJ Pro on macbook pro 2012
rawbeatz 7:36 AM - 20 March, 2018
SAME HERE SMH, IM USING A 2015 MACBOOK AIR 13, 8GB RAM, i5, 128gb HD....
DJ dVO 2:20 PM - 20 March, 2018
Quote:
So I think i'm having the same issue, When I play music with or without equipment connected the sound wave will stop for like a split second and then start rite back up, So far it hasn't caused any crashes but I really would like to know how to get rid of that. I makes me nervous.
It only started when I upgraded to DJ Pro. Im running late 2011 MBP, i7 2.4GHz, 16G ram with Yosemite. Iv been thinking about moving up to High Sierra but from what Im reading here that doesn't sound like the move to make. What can I do to stop this?

Only if you are prepared to roast your motherboard in the oven and to swap out, if not already done, your optical HDD to an SSD. High Sierra will make your 2011 MBP gone capult the same way it did mine until I remedied those fixes.
Enkay67 5:23 PM - 20 March, 2018
In get the same on a cheap i3 with Windows 10 and assumed it was just the on-board Intel graphics struggling to keep up. Bit disappointed to hear that top-end Macs are doing the same. Doesn’t affect performance and I don’t need to gaze at the waveforms much with SmartSync doing its thing, but my heart skips a couple of beats when I catch the glitch in the corner of my eye!
DJ Radyus 8:48 PM - 20 March, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

Only if you are prepared to roast your motherboard in the oven and to swap out, if not already done, your optical HDD to an SSD. High Sierra will make your 2011 MBP gone capult the same way it did mine until I remedied those fixes.

Ya Iv got a 500G SSD in there, the computer is faster then anything Iv ever owned and has treated me good being that I only turn it on for DJing and putting music together. I hope serato sends out a fix soon
Nathan Looney 4:11 PM - 21 March, 2018
For the record, I am having these issues on the new 15" MacBook Pro Touchbar 3.1GHz Quad-Core, 4.1GHz Turbo Boost, 2TB SSD and 16 GB Ram. I can say it is not the computer, if it is the computer because the specs are not good enough we are all screwed. HAHA

I will try unchecking the beat grids and see if that makes a difference. I will test on both systems, DJM 900 Nexus 2 and CDJ 2000 NXS and my DDJ SZ2 without the beat grids and I will report back. For the record, see what I did right there? :) I have had the issues using both systems. No crash just waveform lag/jumps.

It seems to be a weird issue since this was never an issue before. I know a lot has changed under the hood but what would have changed to start causing this. Also, it would seem odd if Serato has not experienced this due to a lot of people are seeing this problem.
popnwave 4:36 PM - 21 March, 2018
I think we will see a 2.1.x come down the pipeline soon to correct some of these quirks that have popped up after a much bigger user base has started using Pro.

So far I haven't seen any workarounds other than using 1.9.10. So if the gfx quirks drive you nuts, I'd just wait and try out the next release.
nik39 1:49 PM - 22 March, 2018
Quote:
Same here on my late MBP 2011. I am okay so long it doesn't crash! LOL

Getting the screen lags too. Also on a MBP 2011.
david07 2:14 PM - 22 March, 2018
the problem of the jumps should fix it in the next update since it happens to all
mixgoonie 2:30 PM - 22 March, 2018
Got it on 2011 XPS Intel Core I7, mine lags only during transitions...
DJ J-Rol 9:29 AM - 23 March, 2018
Same Here!
MacBook Pro mid 2012 whit ssd
Kreezz 11:18 AM - 23 March, 2018
Same Here!
MacBook Pro Mid 2015 i7
Nathan Looney 4:06 PM - 23 March, 2018
I buste3d out three 8-track machines and played DJ that way. HAHAHA
Enkay67 3:51 PM - 4 May, 2018
Quote:
I buste3d out three 8-track machines and played DJ that way. HAHAHA

Ha ha - there's a Facebook group for 8-track lovers and one of the guys on there does exactly that in his local bar every weekend. Uses three Akai machines and a hell of a workflow to make sure the carts are cued properly!
Dj cuervo 4:13 PM - 4 May, 2018
High Sierra is the issue. I have two drive one running Yosemite and other running High Sierra. I went back to Yosemite..no lags. I'm running on Late 2011 I5 16GB Ram. I suggested staying away from High Sierra unless you have a 2016 or higher machine.
david07 4:14 PM - 4 May, 2018
The jumps occur with the second loaded deck, very strange that they solve it is very annoying
nik39 11:30 PM - 4 May, 2018
Quote:
High Sierra is the issue. I have two drive one running Yosemite and other running High Sierra. I went back to Yosemite..no lags. I'm running on Late 2011 I5 16GB Ram. I suggested staying away from High Sierra unless you have a 2016 or higher machine.

I'm not on high Sierra.
krisp kutz 3:47 AM - 7 May, 2018
Quote:

Im on yosemite and stil get lags
Dj cuervo 2:45 PM - 7 May, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

Im on yosemite and stil get lags

Weird... I did a 5 hour set with no lags.. I have no clue now.
Andyman187 1:08 AM - 10 May, 2018
I've been seeing the lag / screen jump in offline mode just setting cue points and running through tracks.

I have also noticed tho when mixing videos with Mix Emergency, when that screen jump / lag happens it affects the video output also and you see a quick lag / screen jump happen quick.

Happens on both my Mac's running High Sierra.

2012 2.6ghz 16GB 1TB SSD
2015 Retina 2.8ghz 16GB 2TB SSD

Hoping this gets resolved in the next update..
The Farmer 7:40 AM - 1 July, 2018
Since upgrading to 2.0.2 I'm having the same screen / waveform jumps. It does not appear to affect the sound but it is really very annoying and I may have to downgrade back to 1.9.7 which worked great
david07 11:39 AM - 1 July, 2018
they have not fixed it yet
Andyman187 11:57 PM - 1 July, 2018
I have a support ticket still open about this and they are aware of this issue. I am told it should be fixed in the next update so we will see..
DJ2dmax 5:51 PM - 31 July, 2018
Its happening to me as well, specially when I am searching for artists in All Audio, it will freeze for a 1-2 seconds.

Also it takes a while to load all the crates when I power up Serato DJ Pro 2.3

Im using an Alienware 14
2.4-GHz quad-core Intel Haswell Core i7-4700MQ processor
2GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 765M
16GB ram
1TB SSD + 256 MSATA + 700GB 7200rpm sata drive
OS running on 256 MSATA - Windows 7
henryb 3:11 AM - 21 August, 2018
so i dont get it... Am I supposed to have "hi-res screen display" option UNchecked so this ridiculous freezing/visually-"stuttering" problem go away?? It was driving me nuts in the last gig and I was constantly worried that sdj pro would eventually crash (it didn't but this behaviour wasn't letting focus on the music i was playing - was too busy worrying about sdj pro dying on me)! :( :( The waveforms were CONSTANTLY stalling momentarily (like every half a second), and even scrolling down the crates was "sticky", and i even noticed the jog wheels' and other leds on my DDJ-SX3 also momentarily "freezing" during tracks' playback! NIGHTMARE!!! It felt like my MBP had no RAM-"juice" left to play SDJ Pro - or that there may have been a USB connection problem.

I changed USB-C-to-USB-B cables and even tried regular USB 2.0 cables (with a USB-C adapter for my MBP, of course). I also tried all 4 USB-C ports. NOTHING fixed!! I mean it's a Macbook Pro 15", late 2016 touchbar model, 1 TB flash ssd (107 GB free space), 2.9 GHz processor, 16 GB ram; so playing SDJ Pro should be a piece of cake for my mac.....

I unchecked the "hi-res screen display" option today and it seems better now (playing in practice mode today)
DJ Tecniq 4:54 AM - 21 August, 2018
Hi res screen i feel is pointless it’s really not much of an improvement imo but this could also be related to Touchbar Macs only.
Enkay67 5:27 AM - 21 August, 2018
I recently switched laptops from a tired but reliable i3 to an 8th generation i7 with Radeon graphics. Same Pioneer DDJ-SR and same Chroma Cable. On the new machine I use hi-res mode and have configured the Radeon GPU to support Serato. There are still the same occasional glitches in the display as I had with the shared Intel graphics on the old i3 but the overall display is much, much smoother, as you’d expect. My conclusion: I don’t think this display stalling is anything to do with machine resource or connectivity, and the software still hasn’t ever let me down, but it’s unnerving and irritating as hell and I wish they’d fix it.
henryb 11:31 AM - 21 August, 2018
Quote:
so i dont get it... Am I supposed to have "hi-res screen display" option UNchecked so this ridiculous freezing/visually-"stuttering" problem go away?? It was driving me nuts in the last gig and I was constantly worried that sdj pro would eventually crash (it didn't but this behaviour wasn't letting focus on the music i was playing - was too busy worrying about sdj pro dying on me)! :( :( The waveforms were CONSTANTLY stalling momentarily (like every half a second), and even scrolling down the crates was "sticky", and i even noticed the jog wheels' and other leds on my DDJ-SX3 also momentarily "freezing" during tracks' playback! NIGHTMARE!!! It felt like my MBP had no RAM-"juice" left to play SDJ Pro - or that there may have been a USB connection problem.

I changed USB-C-to-USB-B cables and even tried regular USB 2.0 cables (with a USB-C adapter for my MBP, of course). I also tried all 4 USB-C ports. NOTHING fixed!! I mean it's a Macbook Pro 15", late 2016 touchbar model, 1 TB flash ssd (107 GB free space), 2.9 GHz processor, 16 GB ram; so playing SDJ Pro should be a piece of cake for my mac.....

I unchecked the "hi-res screen display" option today and it seems better now (playing in practice mode today)

so does anyone know if the hi-res setting has anything to do with this "sticky" screen display on sdj pro? Now that ive unchecked the option the display and waveforms look smoother while moving in practice mode (havent tried it yet at a real gig using my ddj sx3) but with my mac's specs why should I have to worry about that?? I mean, what will everyone else do with lower mac (or pc) specs??

On the net I have about read SO MANY possible reasons about why this screen freezing may be happening and temp "solutions" for it (setting touch bar to NOT use mac apps / covering the light sensor next to the camera / unchecking the serato video option / lowering the sdj display's refresh rate - or increasing it - cant remember which etc etc etc), but STILL no official reply & solution by Serato. NONE of the above temporary "fixes" should be needed with such a high spec'd machine such as my mbp. Actually, I should be able to have another 2-3 apps running simultaneously with sdj without problems... So this is for Serato to gix!

Dear serato, are you working on this problem??
henryb 11:33 AM - 21 August, 2018
**"fix" not gix.
david07 10:39 PM - 31 August, 2018
it happens to me checked in a macbook pro and a Toshiba i7, this problem is still there in sdj pro 2.0.4
Aptidda 10:57 PM - 31 August, 2018
There is nothing to "Fix". Serato DJ works great!
david07 11:02 PM - 31 August, 2018
that visual problem should be solved even if it does not affect the use
Aptidda 11:09 PM - 31 August, 2018
Quote:
that visual problem should be solved even if it does not affect the use

Nah, its good. Wait, your machine is too old and out of spec.... That explains your issue.
Enkay67 5:48 AM - 1 September, 2018
Quote:
Nah, its good. Wait, your machine is too old and out of spec.... That explains your issue.

“Nah”, it’s not. My machine is three months old, 8th generation i7 with Radeon GPU, 8GB and SSD. All recommended optimisations are done. Nevertheless, waveforms in practice mode are far from smooth and there are regular glitches in the display in performance mode. Audio in 2.0.4 is unaffected in either mode. There IS an issue - it’s cosmetic and irritating and we’d all like Serato to either fix it or explain what we can change to avoid it.

If you don’t experience the problem perhaps you could help by identifying what you do differently rather than dismissing our complaint.
dj zaza 5:58 AM - 1 September, 2018
I do not use the high resolution mode, I simply set the TB which shows the F1 keys, deactivated light sensor, the screen resolution is set to 1400x900, everything is very smooth the UI does not freeze, the waveform is smooth but occasionally a some shots, but this could also be due to the beating grid, I noticed less when they are turned off.
david07 6:22 AM - 1 September, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
<div><strong><font style="vertical-align: inherit;"><font style="vertical-align: inherit;">Citar:</font></font></strong>
<font style="vertical-align: inherit;"><font style="vertical-align: inherit;">
ese problema visual debe ser resuelto incluso si no afecta el uso</font></font>

Nah, está bien. </font><font style="vertical-align: inherit;">Espera, tu máquina está muy vieja y fuera de especificaciones ... Eso explica tu problema.
</font></font>

old macbook pro i7 quad core, toshiba i7 6700hq and passes in windows as in mac, this is not the fault of my laptops
Nor-B 4:08 AM - 2 October, 2018
I have the same problem /flicker/lag a few times no matter the file either video or audio same thing , test internal and external hard drive , same thing
I have pioneer DDJ-Z2 & DDJ-SX3 both do the same thing!
New Macbook pro
(15-inch, 2018)
2.6 GHz Intel Core i7
16 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro 560X 4096 MB
Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB
Hope Serato can help us to fix this!
popnwave 6:11 PM - 2 October, 2018
They are going to have to do another round of code tweaks I think. It happens to everyone.
djdonnydee 3:07 PM - 9 October, 2018
Quote:
I have the same problem /flicker/lag a few times no matter the file either video or audio same thing , test internal and external hard drive , same thing
I have pioneer DDJ-Z2 & DDJ-SX3 both do the same thing!
New Macbook pro
(15-inch, 2018)
2.6 GHz Intel Core i7
16 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro 560X 4096 MB
Hope Serato can help us to fix this!

do you have PNT turned on ? this was happening to me before and now i got it to stop. i'm trying to remember now... sorry i know its not helping... I recall also putting my laptop on a stand to let it breathe which helped.
limesalt 7:41 PM - 25 October, 2018
Just wanted to check in and add my experience to this discussion and let you know it's not just Mac users having issues. In fact, I recently upgraded from a 2011 MacBook Pro (outfitted with a Crucial MX300 SSD and 16 GB RAM) which had pretty phenomenal performance both with audio and waveform rendering to a new Razer Blade 15 2018.

Ironically, my MacBook had silky smooth waveform rendering and only very occasional audio hiccups, and my new Razer (2 TB EVO 970, 32 GB 2666 MHz RAM, and a GTX 1070 GPU) has horrible smearing, choppiness, and tearing of the waveform and grid labels by comparison. Audio seems to run just fine all the way down to 1ms with my DDJ-SR2 and its ASIO drivers, so that part is good, but the waveform is just mangled in comparison. I have tried just about every damn optimization that is suggested by Serato, and which I've found online, and experimented with tons of other settings myself, but nothing seems to touch the problem and make any lick of difference.

I am even able to use my DDJ-SR2 in Rekordbox and experience no such problems, everything renders just as smooth as on my Mac.

Come onnn Serato! You gotta be kidding me.
limesalt 7:45 PM - 25 October, 2018
P.S. Both are running the same version of Serato DJ Pro.
david07 8:39 AM - 26 October, 2018
The serato dj pro waveforms in my Macbook Pro are smooth, but sometimes they jump unexpectedly, Serato has not solved this, that's why I'm still in version 1.9.10
Comrade Tulayev 9:07 AM - 26 October, 2018
Quote:
The serato dj pro waveforms in my Macbook Pro are smooth, but sometimes they jump unexpectedly, Serato has not solved this, that's why I'm still in version 1.9.10

Same happens on my HP Pavilion, but the sound is not affected at all, so I just live with it. Can be disconcerting, but it makes no real difference to performance.
henryb 12:34 AM - 22 November, 2018
DEAR SERATO, are you ready with a fix for this issue yet or not?? I mean this has been happening since august and still no update... So MANY back-and-forward emails to you over the last 3 MONTHS, and still nothing! It's crazy! I have a 2017 touchbar macbook pro with 1tb flash ssd, 16gb ram, 2.9 GHz Intel Core i7, Radeon Pro 460 4096 MB & Intel HD Graphics 530 1536 MB graphics, running Mojave... So it's OBVIOUSLY NOT my laptop.... This happens in offline (practice) mode AND also with my ddj-sx3 connected. Oh, yeah, it also happens with my backup ddj-sx2 controller too. Oh yeah, it also happens on my older 2011 MBP (with 1TB SSD, 16GB RAM) running High Sierra... So, no, it's not the computers' fault, nor the OSes' fault - it's SERATO DJ SOFTWARE'S FAULT. Every since the SDJ upgrade to whatever the release around August 2018 was, the waveforms momentarily & intermittently "stutter"/freeze, ALL THE TIME! The fact that the audio has not (yet) frozen/paused etc is by NO MEANS an excuse to rest upon and say that "things aren't that bad"!! We want SDJ Pro to work PERFECTLY EVEN ON THIS - VERY IMPORTANT - VISUAL LEVEL. I have done all the optimization tweaks you have suggested, apart from 2 which I simply WON'T DO. 1. I will not disable FileVault as I am not willing to sacrifice security so your software will maybe start working properly again (besides it worked JUST FINE with it turned on before we "upgraded" to your next SDJ versions). And, 2. I will NOT disable the touchbar's app control as I paid the extra $$ in order to use its functions, obviously (and, again, SDJ worked JUST FINE with toubar app control on before your "upgraded" software versions!!). Beyond those 2 things that I will not compromise (and nor should I), all the other tweaks have been made. But nothing. It's all on you to fix this issue right away as it's been 3 whole months of SDJ Pro behaving visually like an amateur piece of software that simply can't cope.
(Please excuse my capitalizations, but 3 months is CRAZY-LONG for such a common issue to be left unfixed by the WORLD'S most popular DJ software)
david07 8:24 AM - 22 November, 2018
to me it was solved in my macbook pro 15 2012, what I did not know until now is that serato dj pro requires dedicated graphics
popnwave 3:32 AM - 24 November, 2018
Quote:
(and, again, SDJ worked JUST FINE with toubar app control on before your "upgraded" software versions!!).

Wait, so why aren't you using the version that did work in the mean time?
OGDJ 5:16 AM - 30 December, 2018
Same problem for me. It seems like all the graphics are stuttering big time, very chunky. Wave forms, Volume bars etc. After I sweep the cursor around or touch a key on the keyboard the graphics go back to normal smooth flow. I have made all the Serato optimizations to my computer. Wifi is off. All unnecessary programs are closed.
MacOS Mojave
Version 10.14.1
MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch Mid 2015
2.2 GHz Intel Core i7
16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
david07 1:11 PM - 30 December, 2018
Quote:
El mismo problema para mí. </font><font style="vertical-align: inherit;">Parece que todos los gráficos están tartamudeando a lo grande, muy grueso. </font><font style="vertical-align: inherit;">Formas de onda, barras de volumen, etc. Después de desplazar el cursor o tocar una tecla del teclado, los gráficos vuelven a su flujo normal normal. </font><font style="vertical-align: inherit;">He hecho todas las optimizaciones de Serato a mi computadora. </font><font style="vertical-align: inherit;">Wifi está apagado. </font><font style="vertical-align: inherit;">Todos los programas innecesarios están cerrados. </font></font><font style="vertical-align: inherit;"><font style="vertical-align: inherit;">
MacOS Mojave </font></font><font style="vertical-align: inherit;"><font style="vertical-align: inherit;">
versión 10.14.1 </font></font><font style="vertical-align: inherit;"><font style="vertical-align: inherit;">
MacBook Pro (Retina, 15 pulgadas Mediados de 2015 </font></font><font style="vertical-align: inherit;"><font style="vertical-align: inherit;">
2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 </font></font><font style="vertical-align: inherit;"><font style="vertical-align: inherit;">
16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
</font></font>

your macbook has dedicated graphics?
DJ Tecniq 4:51 PM - 30 December, 2018
Quote:
to me it was solved in my macbook pro 15 2012, what I did not know until now is that serato dj pro requires dedicated graphics
wait what? Even the 32 bit version? Does it list in the system specs SDJ Pro requires dedicated graphics?
DJ Ramo 7:07 PM - 30 December, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

&
Pioneer DDJ SZ

Nathan,

Cheers

You sir, are a GOD. In the middle of a wedding, never had an issue. Began to mix and it began to lag. Barely could mix. Was freaking out i was going to experience audio drop outs. Played a few songs on my iPad as a backup to restart, update... nothing.

Googled the issue, found this thread and it was an instant fix. Seriously THANK YOU.
Mikolaj Barta 2:47 PM - 29 April, 2019
Hi !

I've the same issue still.

I've brand new laptop:
i7 2,2GHZ
16GB RAM
64bit system
490GB free space on disk where serato is installed.

When I play music without controler, the waveforms is lagging ( about 0,5-1sec delay ), when I input the control (numark mixtrack pro III ) the waveforms are fresh without lags..but the music stops for 0,5-1sec every 15 or 30min. I've unchecked Hi-Res screen display, sync mode - sync off, and nothing.

Do you have any fix for this ?
DJ Angel Suave Ortiz 2:20 PM - 10 May, 2019
How I fixed this issue!
I am running MacBook Retina 2013 Mojave with a Pioneer DDJ SX. I was having issues with waveforms/display/controller freezing but audio would NOT be affected. Move the mouse around a bit and things went back to normal. I would need to do this every 5-10 minutes. Extremely annoying. I was also experiencing HIGH CPU usage with Serato DJ.

Tried optimizing settings - new usb cable - lower latency nothing worked. Was about to give up on Serato DJ.

WHAT WORKED FOR ME (ABOUT 2 HOURS OF WORK):
Time Machine backup to an external Hard drive
Erased Mac Hard Drive
Reinstalled New Copy of Mac OS (Mojave)
Used Migration Assistant to transfer data from Time Machine Backup.

I noticed instant improvements all around and Serato DJ no longer using high CPU or screen/display freeze.

My guess is when Apple switched to a new File System (APFS) with macOS High Sierra (10.13) things got weird but with doing steps above completely fixed things and now working smooth like butter!

This Video explains this process step by step.
Watchwww.youtube.com
bumbo08 10:58 AM - 14 June, 2019
Interesting... anyone else fix it this way?

I'm getting very similar behaviour on my Touchbar MBP.

Waveforms are fine for a while then start to stutter. Check CPU usage and SDJ is at around 30% but about 5 seconds after looking at CPU usage, SDJ drops back down to around 15% and the waveforms are back to being smooth again.

No audio drops but this happens in a cycle through the night!
bumbo08 7:23 AM - 17 June, 2019
So this behaviour happens every 10-15 minutes or so with my laptop and will persist until I move the cursor on the trackpad, then CPU goes back down and waveforms are smooth again. Odd thing to happen...

Contacted Serato Support and they've suggested a few things to try, otherwise it's a "known issue" and will be fixed in a later update
Spenny 3:58 PM - 10 July, 2019
Quote:

I'm having this problem at the moment still so i think i will try this tonight and see if the lagging stops.
YZ 4:28 PM - 10 July, 2019
I love these posts, really. Companies put out recommendations and warnings about touchbar mac's and how shit windows machines are, there's countless amounts of posts on here about how bad things are... yet people blatantly disregard the warnings and complain later their shit is broken. Don't get it.
DJ Tecniq 6:11 PM - 10 July, 2019
The problem I see is users using new hardware with dinosaur laptops (9-10 yrs) wondering why Serato doesn’t function normal...🤷🏼‍♂️🤣
Spenny 6:12 PM - 10 July, 2019
Well you would think they would have a solution to it by now so countless people wouldn’t be complaining about it. Considering it’s been a year and people are having the same problem.
DJ Tecniq 6:17 PM - 10 July, 2019
Quote:
Well you would think they would have a solution to it by now so countless people wouldn’t be complaining about it. Considering it’s been a year and people are having the same problem.
SDJ has never been great...the GUI has been glitchy since the beginning it’s new developers that don’t have the proper knowledge to fix it. This wasn’t the case with Scratchlive the GUI was/is solid. #makesdjgreatagain😂
DJ Tecniq 6:26 PM - 10 July, 2019
But to be honest 90% of problems could be fixed with a clean install of whatever OS you’re using. If all else fails just wipe the computer clean and start over. As for the Touchbar Macs who really wants to buy USB adapters and all that shit just to get their hardware to function. I’ve never been one to follow a herd. I’m rocking a Mid 2014 w/2 USB ports still on Sierra with no issues except for occasional screen lag while browsing or searching...that is only due to their shitty GUI. Remember when they said 64 bit support would be more stable...they lied. Truth hurts🤷🏼‍♂️
david07 7:32 AM - 16 July, 2019
it seems that serato finally solved it with sdj pro 2.2
bumbo08 10:12 AM - 16 July, 2019
Quote:
it seems that serato finally solved it with sdj pro 2.2

I saw this in the release notes... are you confirming from use of 2.2??
Spenny 7:41 AM - 17 July, 2019
downloaded 2.2 but mines still glitchy so went back to 1.9.10

Not sure what the issue is on my computer. Annoying
Glen-p 12:08 PM - 28 July, 2019
That is interesting TC salvation, I am having some high cpu problems myself though mine doesn't crash, I have been swapping out graphics cards, usb etc etc to try get to bottom of it, will test this history delete idea tomorrow and report back,
System info
I7 2600k, 16gb ram, amd r7 370, 2x 240 ssd drives, Numark NS7 III, Serato DJ Pro, Windows 10 pro
Glen-p 12:09 PM - 28 July, 2019
Ok so I tried deleting the history but that didn't work for me, I did notice if I take out the amd graphics driver and let windows 10 install it's own the problem has gone, I suspect the amd driver makes better use of the cpu and puts more load on it.
Rumpel 1 1:54 AM - 11 September, 2019
Unplugging the power adaptor works for me. Sounds crazy but its true.
Spenny 10:29 AM - 11 September, 2019
www.dropbox.com

This is what keeps happening to me, the music doesn't stop but it's not ideal when doing 6 hour sets.
Rumpel 1 1:24 PM - 11 September, 2019
Same thing over here. Very annoying. I’m using early 2013 MacBook Pro 500gb ssd 8gb ram high Sierra DDJ1000SRT. Latest version serato Dj Pro. Once I pull out the power adaptor the problem disappears. Updated to Mojave last night. Going to run it later this evening.
DJ Tecniq 3:19 PM - 11 September, 2019
Quote:
www.dropbox.com

This is what keeps happening to me, the music doesn't stop but it's not ideal when doing 6 hour sets.
You just linked the website nothing else.
Nathan Shane 2:15 AM - 15 October, 2019
Quote:
Quote:

&
Pioneer DDJ SZ

Nathan,

Cheers

I had the same thing happen to me while djing a wedding in dark light but had a T bar with strobe lights behind me. I had this glitchy serato deck lag happen as well. Never happen to me before on this computer and this is one of the most powerful MB PROS made on the market:

Here are the specs":

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018) . 2.9 GHz Intel Core i9 . 32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4 . Radeon Pro 560X 4 GB

Is there ANYTHING else I should be aware of in order to operate optimally. Im on a DDJ SZ 2 And RANE 7S. MOJAVE 10.14.7
Nathan Shane 2:15 AM - 15 October, 2019
I had the same thing happen to me while djing a wedding in dark light but had a T bar with strobe lights behind me. I had this glitchy serato deck lag happen as well. Never happen to me before on this computer and this is one of the most powerful MB PROS made on the market:

Here are the specs":

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018) . 2.9 GHz Intel Core i9 . 32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4 . Radeon Pro 560X 4 GB

Is there ANYTHING else I should be aware of in order to operate optimally. Im on a DDJ SZ 2 And RANE 7S. MOJAVE 10.14.7
popnwave 3:06 PM - 15 October, 2019
support.serato.com

Turn off the light sensor.
DjLaZaRuSrOcKs 5:57 PM - 15 October, 2019
Two things you can do to stop flicker or screen freezes.
1. make sure you turn off the auto light sensor.
- system preferences > displays > turn off - "automatically adjust brightness"
2. make sure you turn off 'Handoff' feature if you are using an iPhone or iOS device near your dj computer.
- system preferences > general > turn off - "allow handoff between this mac and iOS devices"
david07 9:48 PM - 5 November, 2019
This should have been solved a long time ago because it continues to happen in extended mode at times it gives some stops or jumps in the waveforms, I am in the latest version of sdj pro and with a macbook pro 15 "2015 (double gpu) and macos sierra
david07 9:49 PM - 5 November, 2019
although I have noticed that it does less
DJ LIL M 12:03 AM - 6 November, 2019
I've notice the waveforum lags when loading up a second track on 2.3.1
henryb 7:33 AM - 14 January, 2020
ok it's 2020 Serato! Have you fixed the waveform freezing because of light/ambient sensor etc etc?? I have a mbp 2016 touchbar (mojave - sjd 2.3.2) and this is driving me crazy!! It's been SOOOOO long that we're waiting for a fix and still nada.
(A friend has a 2018 mbp but it doesn't happen to him. And no, I don't want the touchbar to show F1, F2 ... Fn keys; that was meant to be a temporary workaround until you fixed the problem that started occurring in ... 2018)
Aligan 9:18 AM - 14 January, 2020
Hello,
You can assign function keys to be active only with Serato. So you have normal Touch Bar when Serato window is not selected. Just go in keyboard configuration
Cheers
henryb 1:29 PM - 14 January, 2020
thanks, but:
"And no, I don't want the touchbar to show F1, F2 ... Fn keys; that was meant to be a temporary workaround until you fixed the problem that started occurring in ... 2018"
Aligan 2:28 PM - 14 January, 2020
System preferences / keyboard / Shortcuts / Function keys —-> add Serato DJ Pro.app.

It switch automatically and Serato have use of function key ... so I guess it’s best of both world.

Or put a tape on your light sensor just on the left of your laptop camera if you don’t want function keys while you use Serato.

Just check it
henryb 11:06 PM - 14 January, 2020
Ok, I did that ("System preferences / keyboard / Shortcuts / Function keys —-> add Serato DJ Pro.app").
Then what?
What do I set at: System preferences / keyboard / keyboard tab / touch bar shows -> ??)

**When I now set the "touch bar shows -> ..." to ANYTHING, when I open serato (offline mode) I just get the F1, F2.. Fn no matter what was selected at "touch bar shows"..

I don't understand really..
Aligan 9:33 AM - 15 January, 2020
Yes that the point, when you use Serato it switch automatically to function keys so you don’t have the flicker ambient light issue you complained about. As soon as you use something else it revert to your beloved Touch Bar functionality. Best of both world, don’t have to struggle anymore with settings. Life changer.
Cheers