DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Would it be worth it for a mobile DJ to upgrade from a controller to CDJs?

DJYuri1 8:28 AM - 28 February, 2018
I'm a mobile DJ. Most of the events I do are corporate banquets and private parties.

I'd love to start getting into the nightclub and music festival scene, but I feel like that's way more competitive and I don't like promoting and having to drag all my friends out to the club every week.

I currently own a higher-end standalone controller (Denon MCX8000). I'm wondering if it'd be worth it to upgrade to CDJs. I'm asking because I just found a really, really, really sweet deal on a pair of CDJs and a Pioneer DJM mixer. It's still 3 times the price of my controller, but I doubt I'd find a set like that cheaper anywhere else.

I'm torn on whether it's worth it. A controller is a lot more transportable, but if I ever want to make the switch to club or music festival type of stuff, I'm going to have to learn to use CDJs.

Do you feel like it'd be worth it to upgrade my setup or do you think I'd be better off saving that money to complete my mobile setup (i.e. lighting, fog machine, etc)?
Laz219 9:59 AM - 28 February, 2018
Nope, you're already right.
If you're working as a mobile DJ- you're better to upgrade your offerings with lighting etc than just get the 'club standard' equipment.

If you want to get into playing on Pio gear, just hire a setup for a weekend, it's really not hard to adjust to the slightly differences.
577er 4:17 PM - 28 February, 2018
Stick with the controller. CDJs are playing catch up with controllers in the feature department, while controllers are gaining on durability and audio quality to get to CDJ levels. IMO CDJs aren’t worth it at all for mobile DJs.
Brian M 9:08 PM - 28 February, 2018
I have purchased every CDJ from MK 1k to 2kNXS2. I don't care if they offer free hookers with the whatever version of the NXS3 comes out next. I think the CDJ is done at least with having an actual CD.
pdidy 12:12 AM - 1 March, 2018
wHY does it have to be either or when you can have both ?
DJSCIASCIA 1:52 AM - 1 March, 2018
It would be worth only if you're cutting the computer and going with the USB stick organized through Rekordbox. I do this when I don't wanna lug turntables and look at a screen all night.
DJYuri1 7:38 AM - 3 March, 2018
Quote:
wHY does it have to be either or when you can have both ?

I'm running low on space and money, so I feel the need to pick one over the other.
DJYuri1 7:38 AM - 3 March, 2018
Quote:
It would be worth only if you're cutting the computer and going with the USB stick organized through Rekordbox. I do this when I don't wanna lug turntables and look at a screen all night.

The controller I have is standalone, it works with just USB.
Z-Point 12:21 AM - 8 March, 2018
Think about it like this: Do you ever play at events where CDs are around?

Waaaaay back, I remember some school dances where the music was crowd sourced. People brought their own CDs, and hopefully everyone remembered to pick them up at the end of the night. Now we have streaming services that have *almost* any song you'd want, BUT...

Do you think you'd ever play somewhere where someone (like a paying client) might ask you to play a CD? Last minute changes for a dance recital? An awards ceremony?

I have an FM radio show, and it's a pain in the butt hooking up my own CDJs and mixer each week, and having a controller would make my life A LOT easier at this point, but when I want to grab CDs off the shelves at the station, the decks are there.
eugguy 2:12 AM - 8 March, 2018
Quote:
Think about it like this: Do you ever play at events where CDs are around?

Waaaaay back, I remember some school dances where the music was crowd sourced. People brought their own CDs, and hopefully everyone remembered to pick them up at the end of the night. Now we have streaming services that have *almost* any song you'd want, BUT...

Do you think you'd ever play somewhere where someone (like a paying client) might ask you to play a CD? Last minute changes for a dance recital? An awards ceremony?

I have an FM radio show, and it's a pain in the butt hooking up my own CDJs and mixer each week, and having a controller would make my life A LOT easier at this point, but when I want to grab CDs off the shelves at the station, the decks are there.

Still use a controller - most have an aux in or an extra line input(s). Rca to line cable(s), bring a portable cd walkman, probably 20 bucks on eBay. Controllers have so much more functionality for mobile dj's in terms of size.
Laz219 2:56 AM - 8 March, 2018
I have found in the last few years, people are more likely to turn up with a USB stick than a CD.
Considering you're doing mobile gigs and obviously are planning these out prior, always something you can clear up before anyway.

I ripped my CD drive out of my macbook and replaced it with an SSD after I'd not had to use a CD for a couple of years.
I never really liked using that feature anyway (playing from a CD through serato)
DTweed 8:28 AM - 8 March, 2018
If you don't have the money or space stick with the controller. I have both but I only use my cdjs for high paying gigs (in which I'm not using turntables). This is mainly done for my sanity (as the client could care less) and it's looks better than a controller.

Only other use case is if I'm playing hip hop and want to use a real mixer with a fader vs the fisher price stuff
RonDu 4:40 PM - 8 March, 2018
I haven't used my CDJs in years. I say stick with the controller.
Z-Point 6:11 PM - 8 March, 2018
Bold prediction: If this thread is any indication, CDJs will see steep price cuts due to lackluster sales and use.

::fingers crossed::
HK1200 6:31 PM - 8 March, 2018
As much as I value a modular setup, if the controller is doing everything you need it to do I'd just stick with it until it breaks. That said, I'm a turntable user who never found any allure of CDJ's to begin with. Lighter and easier to carry were never really determining factors for me, personally.
RonDu 9:32 PM - 8 March, 2018
Quote:
Lighter and easier to carry were never really determining factors for me, personally.

Same here. My tables get more burn than my controller.
DJBhD 4:47 PM - 9 March, 2018
Bold prediction... about 99% of the crowd at your private and corporate events care (let alone can actually see) what sort of equipment you're using. Save that money for necessities (Record Pools, Lights, Replacement/Backup cords and equipment, Marketing, etc.)

If you're really set on getting CDJs, try and look around for places or other DJs that might allow you to come in and give em a thorough test run before making that decision. If money and space wasn't a factor, I'd say get both.

I've been running a Numark NS7 since 2013. I've been wanting to purchase another controller or some Technics 1200s for a while now but only when (1) The budget allows it and (2) After I am satisfied with the amount of other necessities I own like my speakers, cords, lighting, stands, etc.
DTweed 7:15 PM - 9 March, 2018
Quote:
Bold prediction... about 99% of the crowd at your private and corporate events care (let alone can actually see) what sort of equipment you're using. Save that money for necessities (Record Pools, Lights, Replacement/Backup cords and equipment, Marketing, etc.)

If you're really set on getting CDJs, try and look around for places or other DJs that might allow you to come in and give em a thorough test run before making that decision. If money and space wasn't a factor, I'd say get both.

I've been running a Numark NS7 since 2013. I've been wanting to purchase another controller or some Technics 1200s for a while now but only when (1) The budget allows it and (2) After I am satisfied with the amount of other necessities I own like my speakers, cords, lighting, stands, etc.

NS7 is the best, unfortunately I might be selling mine soon. I cant get it to work with my Mac OS High Sierra.

Completely agreed on the view point of not needing to switch to CDJs (although I'm a gear whore)
thorissr 4:11 PM - 11 March, 2018
The biggest draw to cdjs is cutting the dependency of a requiring a laptop while performing. I have just about every dj setup you can think of, and it feels great not having to depend on that one piece of technology that may go wrong at an inconvenient time. Not that this has ever happened to me, but throwing a usb in your pocket is highly convenient imho, opposed to throwing my laptop in my backpack and having to perform pre-show checks on it prior to spinning. If you take a look at the Denon SC5000s, media players are blurring the lines as to what can be achieved from an artistic creative standpoint, and can closely and in some cases surpass traditional controllers, i.e, SZ2.

Other than that cdjs are just another medium used to get the job done.
thorissr 4:20 PM - 11 March, 2018
Oh and that’s the biggest draw to the rx/rx2. The option to leave the laptop behind and use a controller who’s design is based directly from the cdj family. I would go out on a limb to say that if more hardware such the rx2 existed and was unique to the software in which you used to prepare your usb sticks (Serato/VDJ/Traktor) your mass consumer controllers that we know today (laptop dependent) would most likely fade away and become a thing of the past.
577er 6:32 PM - 11 March, 2018
Quote:
Oh and that’s the biggest draw to the rx/rx2. The option to leave the laptop behind and use a controller who’s design is based directly from the cdj family. I would go out on a limb to say that if more hardware such the rx2 existed and was unique to the software in which you used to prepare your usb sticks (Serato/VDJ/Traktor) your mass consumer controllers that we know today (laptop dependent) would most likely fade away and become a thing of the past.

Na. Zero chance i’d like to DJ off those tiny screens all night. Being spontaneous with a thumb drive setup seems very slow.