Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Serato DJ Pro and CPU

Christ beats I. 10:22 AM - 27 February, 2018
Serato say min req is still 1.07 ghz but the new update is now consuming a massive 2.99 ghz in Windows 10. I am using a 4th gen Intel i5 @2.5ghz and its running at a huge 42% whilst the last version of Serato DJ ran at 0.99- 1.02 that's around 12% of my CPU. Is anyone else a little concerned about this?
mixgoonie 10:58 AM - 27 February, 2018
Mine is using way less CPU, turn off Widnows defender.

I will try on my window 10 core 2 Duo to see if this 64 runs better
Chino 12:45 PM - 27 February, 2018
Quote:
Is anyone else a little concerned about this?

Yes. Increased CPU usage on SDJ Pro (compared to SDJ 1.9.6) has been noticed & reported.

Increased CPU usage is the trade off for overall software stability.
DJSMASH24 2:08 PM - 27 February, 2018
I thought high cpu makes it less stable ?
ParisCreative 2:44 PM - 27 February, 2018
Quote:

Not necessarily. If it's maxing out your CPU, or if it's cascading resources to start with low utilization to high utilization, then there is a problem.
Chino 2:46 PM - 27 February, 2018
Quote:

I hope not! I'm sure with time, there will be additional CPU optimizations to reduce CPU usage.

Making SDJ Pro a 64 bit platform took ALOT of hard work! SHOUT OUT to Serato. All your hard work is MUCH APPRECIATED!!
Christ beats I. 3:16 PM - 27 February, 2018
Thanks for speaks lads. I do understand that Serato have produced a more efficient system in some areas and I am not knocking any progress made in this field...yes I am too a sensative soul at times. I will give windows defender a swerve and see what happens and when you Boyd's have the time I am pretty sure there will be some clarification I mean let's face it you are currently pedaling 1.07 GHz processor minimum requirement but unless Windows Defender is the culprit then it's an issue that needs to be have a straight path paved very soon. We are living in an more unforgiving time. Peace
Christ beats I. 3:33 PM - 27 February, 2018
Quote:
Mine is using way less CPU, turn off Widnows defender.

I will try on my window 10 core 2 Duo to see if this 64 runs better

Ok tried your suggestion but I am afraid with no change in my CPU.
Christ beats I. 3:50 PM - 27 February, 2018
It's a bit of a concern but I think it will be ok. I don't feel comfortable with the increased load of 300% which now has also triggered the fan on constant. That did not happen with 1.9. whatever.

Still, I suppose there's always the roll back option.

But I am I interested to hear what Serato will have to say as I personally think a jump from 1.07 GHz where most of the time the speed hung around 99.0 to 1.2 GHz and utilized only 12% of the CPU in comparison to the now employed 2.99 GHz and 42% seems excessive. Does this mean shorter CPU life and further investment in a a more powerful laptop...seems to be the case. I did not really notice a big change in the graphics on my HP 640 G1 but then I was not expecting it to. The 64 bit structure holds no significant impact unless you want to carry an entire archive with you so a roll back for me personally is not so painful. The cue point and practice mode and a biggy especially for the price of a higher spec machine. Looking forward to some knowledge on the subject that's for sure..
Christ beats I. 4:05 PM - 27 February, 2018
Nope. Decided to roll back to 1.9.10 for now untill I get some reason for the guzzle on the CPU!
DJSMASH24 5:28 PM - 27 February, 2018
Lol. Im still using 1.9.2.
jackdhouse 6:10 PM - 27 February, 2018
Quote:
a jump from 1.07 GHz where most of the time the speed hung around 99.0 to 1.2 GHz and utilized only 12% of the CPU in comparison to the now employed 2.99 GHz and 42% seems excessive.

I received a msvcp140.dll error when running Serato in 64bit mode on an i5 running win8.1. So I installed the 32bit version and have no problems. My CPU utilization is at 24% at a speed of 2.2 GHz.
Christ beats I. 6:31 PM - 27 February, 2018
Quote:
Lol. Im still using 1.9.2.

Yep, quite happy with Serato DJ myself at this point. This is my first knock on any Serato update since itch days. For what it's giving and for what I'm doing the deals in favour of my CPU on this one! I cannot see how anyone with min specs at 1.07 GHz is going to survive this update. My CPU was running constant @ 2.99 GHz and that was on a 4th gen i5 inside a fully optimized Windows PC and I mean fully optimized! Even Traktor only requires 2.0 ghz!
Christ beats I. 6:34 PM - 27 February, 2018
Serious CPU burnout, Fan on constant...with an SSD!! What is going on there Serato?
Christ beats I. 6:40 PM - 27 February, 2018
And before I get the obvious, please, this is personal preferences only and I prefer my CPU to run at 25% max. This coupled with Spectre and Meltdown attacks on Intel processors could like a huge global tech culling! I wouldn't care so much but most modern (last 3 year) intel business machines are now running 2 GHz or less. To get a decent laptop to be able to running this comfortably your going to need a big slice of cheddar man!
Christ beats I. 6:46 PM - 27 February, 2018
This update has definitely pushed the price of all things Serato right up! Massive laptop power increase needed so big fat mortgage on the house to pay for a capable laptop or Serato work on whittling the power consumption DOWN PLEASE!
popnwave 7:22 PM - 27 February, 2018
I'm using a 6 year old macbook pro that can be bought for $600 and CPU usage doesn't pop past 15% overall doing audio, video, and streaming my sets. It sounds like you are having issues with your specific machine or however you have it configured.
gav Clifton 7:41 PM - 27 February, 2018
I have a 2015 mbp retina (2.9ghz i5, 8gbRam) according to the performance monitor Serato Dj Pro is currently varying between 20 & 25% cpu and its using 1.07 gb of memory playing 2 decks and in hi res mode, don't know if this helps but thought id share it !
Hee S. Lee 7:47 PM - 27 February, 2018
There are lots of things happening in the background of Windows 10... Disable telemetry traffic back to Microsoft, background running app, non-essential-or-necessary start-up item, Windows Defender, Windows Update,.... Downgrade to Windows 7.... !
Riddim Dojo 9:51 PM - 27 February, 2018
Quote:
I'm using a 6 year old macbook pro that can be bought for $600 and CPU usage doesn't pop past 15% overall doing audio, video, and streaming my sets. It sounds like you are having issues with your specific machine or however you have it configured.

I have a 2011 Macbook Pro with 8GB and my cpu is constantly at 60-65% and I got overload four times while running software in an hour and a half test run with multiple effects etc.

Something not adding up.
popnwave 10:05 PM - 27 February, 2018
Overload as in drop outs?
Riddim Dojo 10:10 PM - 27 February, 2018
Quote:
Overload as in drop outs?

Yep. Got it during the 1st half hour, then after that it redlined three times, with a freeze of screen for 3 secs on the 2nd to last redline.

RD
Comrade Tulayev 10:21 PM - 27 February, 2018
Windows 10 laptop, i5 processor, 8Gb RAM, works fine for me, CPU useage of no more than 20-25%
DJ Tecniq 2:35 AM - 28 February, 2018
Quote:
I have a 2011 Macbook Pro with 8GB and my cpu is constantly at 60-65% and I got overload
If it’s an intel core 2 duo Mac that sounds about right. Some of the 2010-2011 Macs has cpu issues. You’re using a grand daddy Mac.
mixgoonie 7:52 AM - 28 February, 2018
I did the test with a old Core2Duo Windows 10 SSD and i've got a bit higher CPU usage but no USB dropouts except if it start another big application like a browser...

So it really seems an improvement to the SDJ versions.
Riddim Dojo 8:14 AM - 28 February, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
I have a 2011 Macbook Pro with 8GB and my cpu is constantly at 60-65% and I got overload
If it’s an intel core 2 duo Mac that sounds about right. Some of the 2010-2011 Macs has cpu issues. You’re using a grand daddy Mac.

Actually its a 2.3Ghz Core i5. But it is long in the tooth yes. Will run some more tests with SDJ 2.0, but for now will go live with 1.9.x.

RD
DJ Tecniq 8:24 AM - 28 February, 2018
Quote:
Actually its a 2.3Ghz Core i5. But it is long in the tooth yes. Will run some more tests with SDJ 2.0, but for now will go live with 1.9.x.

RD
Gotcha. An old generation i5 isn’t exactly the best performance however download smcfancontrol for Mac it’s a free program that tends to keep your Mac cool. I’d also suggest taking apart your Mac and cleaning or dusting it out if you haven’t done so lately. It will prob greatly help your cpu issues.
Riddim Dojo 10:24 AM - 28 February, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

RD
Gotcha. An old generation i5 isn’t exactly the best performance however download smcfancontrol for Mac it’s a free program that tends to keep your Mac cool. I’d also suggest taking apart your Mac and cleaning or dusting it out if you haven’t done so lately. It will prob greatly help your cpu issues.

Good advice on the cleaning. Will try the app!
Riddim Dojo 10:31 AM - 28 February, 2018
Quote:
smcfancontrol for Mac

I know it machine specific, but what has been your setting guidelines for smcfancontrol?

RD
popnwave 3:38 PM - 28 February, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
smcfancontrol for Mac

I know it machine specific, but what has been your setting guidelines for smcfancontrol?

RD

Honestly I just made a SERATO mode/profile and have the fans ramped all the way up during a set.
pdidy 6:21 PM - 28 February, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
smcfancontrol for Mac

RD

we set to max which is 6000 RPM if I remember correctly.
DJ Tecniq 6:41 PM - 28 February, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
smcfancontrol for Mac

RD
I have both fans halfway when I’m running video. Most every VJ i know uses SMC. My Mac is a 15” Mid 2014 mbp w16 gig ram and nvidia graphics card it’s pretty powerful.
CMOS 12:01 AM - 1 March, 2018
I prefer "macs fan control" as you can set the temp based on the temp of the processor. This way you dont need to worry about remembering to force the fans to high speed when you start spinning, if the processor temp rises above the number you set, it will kick the fans in.

I personally think its a much better fan app than SMC.
Riddim Dojo 1:04 AM - 1 March, 2018
Great advice guys. Will test out Amco and also macs fan control too.

RD
Riddim Dojo 1:05 AM - 1 March, 2018
Quote:
Great advice guys. Will test out Amco and also macs fan control too.

RD

Sorry that should have been smc fan control
DJ Tecniq 1:53 AM - 1 March, 2018
Quote:
I prefer "macs fan control" as you can set the temp based on the temp of the processor. This way you dont need to worry about remembering to force the fans to high speed when you start spinning, if the processor temp rises above the number you set, it will kick the fans in.

Nice I’ll check that out is it free also?
Christ beats I. 2:05 PM - 1 March, 2018
Quote:

Macs run DJ programs better, period. I know that because I have ran both PC and Mac and Mac runs better. I still use PC simply because of upkeep costs being around 90%less than Apple. Macs are the superior tool. PC has been fully optimised so has the SSD.
Its not something Serato can fix because its not actually broken. The 64bit program is twice the size of the previous 32bit and so is using twice the power from the CPU. Its a kick in the technicalitys but unless your carrying a oversized library its not really an issue to keep the older program, this newer version is for the dreamers who like to carry around 400, 000 tracks for a 2 hour DJ set! Makes you wonder how the vinyl DJ with two box crates survived!
Christ beats I. 7:12 PM - 1 March, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

I hope not! I'm sure with time, there will be additional CPU optimizations to reduce CPU usage.

Making SDJ Pro a 64 bit platform took ALOT of hard work! SHOUT OUT to Serato. All your hard work is MUCH APPRECIATED!!

I think that is more than likely the case. I am using a Numark NV2 and that's still only equipped with a 32bit driver so that could also be attributing to the increase in power consumption for the CPU. I would expect if its needed that most company's will release a 64bit driver for SDJ Pro. I did notice that SDJPro does not immediately pick up on my current 32bit driver and gives me popup saying no driver detected. This lasts for a second or two before it is found. So speculatively speaking there may well be a need for driver update.
CMOS 11:57 PM - 1 March, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

Nice I’ll check that out is it free also?

Yup
www.crystalidea.com