Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

As of February 2018, what is the best Mac OS ver. to run SDJ?

QDigga 2:54 PM - 23 February, 2018
New SDJ user here...well, soon to be. Just picked up an impeccable white skinned DDJ SX and am looking to purchase a used MBP shortly. From many of the suggestions on the posts here, I've decided on a 2012 (or newer) 15" i7 Pro, 16Gb, 1TB SSD.

My only area of utter indecisiveness is what OS should be on it. I hear High Sierra, then I hear Yosemite, then El Capitan. :/ I looked at the minimum requirements on the Serato site, but tend to lean more towards what other DJ's are using consistently without issues. I ONLY plan to have Serato on it and my music. I'll do all my mixes post-work on my workhorse Windows machine.

Thanks all and sorry if this is answered somewhere else and I missed it!
Aptidda 5:01 PM - 23 February, 2018
Well since your buying an old used mac just try Serato DJ Pro on whatever OS it has when you buy it and see how that works.
QDigga 6:43 PM - 23 February, 2018
Quote:
Well since your buying an old used mac just try Serato DJ Pro on whatever OS it has when you buy it and see how that works.

Ok, I will try that. Thx for the suggestion.
pdidy 8:34 PM - 23 February, 2018
The 2012 mbp is currently the Mac of choice for experienced Serato users.

The topic of best Mac OS for Serato users has been disscussed on many occasions by experienced and trusted forum members an the official consensus is Yosemite. Yosemite is currently the most stable and compatible Mac OS for use with all Versions of Serato past and present.
pdidy 9:04 PM - 23 February, 2018
Also anyone wishing to maintain compatibility with ALL Serato HARDWARE including old, new and discontinued sound cards, mixers and controllers.....the only logical choice is Yosemite.

Those of us that require this wide range of compatibility will not be upgrading past Yosemite.
QDigga 11:19 PM - 23 February, 2018
Quote:

The topic of best Mac OS for Serato users has been disscussed on many occasions by experienced and trusted forum members an the official consensus is Yosemite. Yosemite is currently the most stable and compatible Mac OS for use with all Versions of Serato past and present.

Thx pdidy, this is EXACTLY the kind of specific information I was looking for. Can't wait to get my MKB and try and downgrade it to OS X 10.10....
DJ Tecniq 12:54 AM - 24 February, 2018
Who’s your daddy (Yosemite)
DjSyndic8 1:46 AM - 24 February, 2018
Quote:

yay I guess I have the right mac 2012 Yosemite
DJ Yagga 10:26 AM - 24 February, 2018
The best Mac OS version is the latest supported version by Serato. It's as clear as Evian water!!! 🤓
DjSyndic8 4:02 AM - 25 February, 2018
Quote:
The best Mac OS version is the latest supported version by Serato. It's as clear as Evian water!!! 🤓

not always the case ... some Evian bottles are strait from the Tap.... its not all smooth sailing whats good for 1 dj is bad for another
SG SOUNDS 12:48 PM - 25 February, 2018
Quote:

i have a 2012 mbp running mavericks and have no problems running any versions of serato..been trying to get yosemite though but i can't get it in the app store, only sierra is available..how can a get yosemite to download from the net?
DjSyndic8 4:27 PM - 25 February, 2018
Quote:
i have a 2012 mbp running mavericks and have no problems running any versions of serato..been trying to get yosemite though but i can't get it in the app store, only sierra is available..how can a get yosemite to download from the net?

u can still get it through torrents probably the only way
DJSMASH24 7:50 PM - 25 February, 2018
Im still on mountain lion on my macbook pro early 2011 i5.Also using serato dj 1.9.2 ,using a os from a torrent is risky which why im stuck on ML.
pdidy 5:50 AM - 26 February, 2018
Quote:

welcome to the forum, you must be new here :)
DjSyndic8 6:25 AM - 26 February, 2018
Quote:
Im still on mountain lion on my macbook pro early 2011 i5.Also using serato dj 1.9.2 ,using a os from a torrent is risky which why im stuck on ML.

I wish apple had all there osx versions available online so it will be easy for Apple users to get hold off safely
DJ Tecniq 7:49 AM - 26 February, 2018
Quote:
Only if you’re drinking the koolaide😉
DjSyndic8 9:20 AM - 26 February, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
Only if you’re drinking the koolaide😉

lol i think hes had a few :)
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:37 PM - 26 February, 2018
Quote:

Say that again...

<<<<--- 2012 Mac user here....lmao.
DjSyndic8 3:08 AM - 27 February, 2018
Quote:
he 2012 mbp is currently the Mac of choice for experienced Serato users.

its more for oldschool djs that cant afford the new MBPro
DJ BernieB (Toronto) 4:14 AM - 27 February, 2018
IMO 2014/2015 MacBook Pro 15" with dedicated video. The last models to run Yosemite and before the touch bar and USB C were added.

From what I know some 2012/2013 models had defects and over heated. I don't think it was until the 2014+ models that Apple fixed the heating issue by adding side vents for air flow which kept it a lot cooler.

Just for for thought.
DjSyndic8 4:28 AM - 27 February, 2018
Quote:
From what I know some 2012/2013 models had defects and over heated. I don't think it was until the 2014+ models that Apple fixed the heating issue by adding side vents for air flow which kept it a lot cooler.

u can remedy this problem with having a SSD drive and also a laptop fan underneath when u gigging it works for me
JayB1200 12:10 AM - 11 May, 2020
Can we bump this thread up to 2020?

Im still on yosemite on my MBP mid 2012.
Im planning on getting the Rane Seventy & Phase but it seems i might have to upgrade to at least Sierra.
Can anyone confirm that?
popnwave 2:34 PM - 11 May, 2020
I started with a clean slate and moved to High Sierra on my 2012 because of some stuff wanting macOS over OSX. Haven't had any issues video DJing, plus it is still getting security updates.
DjHyp-a-sonic 9:22 PM - 16 May, 2020
Honestly I'm still in love in love with my MBP 2012 13in 2.5 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5 500gb ssd and 500gb HD in the disc Bay Area 8GB of memory. I must say I'm running macOS Catalina and this beast is smooth with Serato DJ PRO 2.3.4 and I have experienced 0 issues If anything it runs better then High Sierra For me at least. I just ordered a 2019 mbp it will be interesting to see how long it takes me to make the switch as my 2012 mbp still has so much life and is reliable.

Gear I use is Rane72, & Technics 1200's(at home), S9 and CDJS(at the club)
DJ Anthony Styles 4:36 PM - 18 May, 2020
Reformatting my Macbook Pro 15-inch mid-2012 that's currently running High Sierra 10.13.6. Trying to decide if I should move to OSx 10.15 or just stay on 10.13. Does the newer OsX make Serato run snappier or more efficient? I'm also worried about losing support for hardware on the new OSX. What's your thoughts?
popnwave 5:00 PM - 18 May, 2020
Catalina is hell, unless you have new hardware why would you torture yourself with the annoying security settings?
JayB1200 2:21 AM - 19 May, 2020
I just updated to High Sierra from Yosemite on my mid 2012 13".
2 new SSD's & maxed out the ram. Running nice & smooth
DjLaZaRuSrOcKs 8:07 PM - 19 May, 2020
I'm on Catalina and have everything running smoothly. Both on a 2012 and 2019 Macbook Pro.
DJ Anthony Styles 6:21 AM - 20 May, 2020
Ended up sticking with 10.13 and installing a secondary SSD and maxing out the ram to 16GB. Formated both SSD's to APFS and it's running flawlessly. As mention above the 10.14 and 10.15 is too much of a hassle.
DjHyp-a-sonic 4:26 PM - 21 May, 2020
Quote:
I'm on Catalina and have everything running smoothly. Both on a 2012 and 2019 Macbook Pro.

Same! Runs smooth on my MBP 2012 only difference is obviously the display but as far as performance it runs pretty much as good as it would on my 2019.