DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Is it ok to play Christian music at an event that isn't religiously affiliated?

DJLatina 7:18 AM - 14 February, 2018
Do you think it's appropriate to play Christian/gospel music at an event or venue that isn't religiously affiliated?

I myself am not Christian or religious, but I don't mind playing Christian music if the client asks me to. However, when the client doesn't ask for it and the event/venue isn't religiously affiliated, I tend to steer clear of playing religious music.

So, I was booked to play music outside of a retail store. The store is not affiliated with and has nothing to do with religion. The client never asked for religious music (religion or gospel music never even entered the conversation).

So, there was a large Christian group hanging out outside the retail store. They were sponsoring a barbecue for the event. They asked for Christian music. I didn't play any Christian songs. I didn't have any Christian music at that time anyway.

If I had had Christian music, should I have played it?
Wavespeech 11:56 AM - 14 February, 2018
Nah, 'kin weirdoes, play for whoever booked you and their customers or crowd.
fvckJuly 1:32 PM - 14 February, 2018
I have nothing against religious people, but I can't stand it when they try to convey their believes and shit at places that have absolutely nothing to do with it. like, I don't go to a random retail store to get my mind, body, spirit and soul cleansed and I don't need a pastor to help me come clean with my sins. FOH.
slimmjimm 2:48 PM - 14 February, 2018
Is this all from the same event?
HK1200 3:08 PM - 14 February, 2018
Next time, play this:

youtu.be
Detroitbootybass 3:37 PM - 14 February, 2018
Quote:

Absolutely not.

They, in effect, wanted to make you their personal DJ for their event (for free)... but you were being hired to do a job by another client.
DJLatina 5:35 PM - 14 February, 2018
Quote:
Is this all from the same event?

yes
DJ Reflex 3:30 AM - 15 February, 2018
A lot of Christian music has a great "pop vibe" Check out Britt Nicole, Toby Mac, Switchfoot, or Manafest to name a few. You can get away with playing Christian music that won't shove religion down anyone's throat. Beside that, no one has ever come up to me and complained that I played a Christian song that offended them! LoL You get a million more complaints about playing vulgar music than you ever will playing a family friendly... dare I say "religious" song!
popnwave 4:00 PM - 15 February, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

Absolutely not.

They, in effect, wanted to make you their personal DJ for their event (for free)... but you were being hired to do a job by another client.

^^^^ this is the thing to remember. You weren't getting paid to play music for them, damn freeloaders.