Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Is Macbook Pro still king?

Leo Mann 8:44 PM - 13 February, 2018
Hello all,

It's been awhile. I'm thinking about getting back into DJ'n but I have to upgrade my laptop. My last Serato laptop was a 2008 MBP which I have somewhere in the house but cannot find right now. Question is: Is Apple MBP still the best for Serato? I started to read previous threads and saw that different users still have their own slight problems (with Mac & Windows). Laptop will be used only for serato (and ableton live w/bridge if that's still a thing). Not in a rush to buy as I do have a decently spec'd Lenovo I bought last year. Haven't tried it with serato yet tho. All my music is on my external that's formatted for Mac OS I think.
popnwave 9:54 PM - 13 February, 2018
Buy a maxed out 2015 and you'll be fine for another 5+ years.

Until devices switch to USB-C (and you don't need dongles) and Apple stops giving us silly shit like Touch Bars that trigger gfx glitches from light sources, the new ones aren't worth the hassle to me yet.
DJ Tecniq 10:33 PM - 13 February, 2018
Mac is still the shit. Any 2012 or above model Mac is perfectly fine. Recommend a 15” MacBook Pro. I have a Mid 2014 and it’s a beast still.
DJ Tecniq 10:34 PM - 13 February, 2018
However the more newer OS X that come out i think Serato will have problems with. High Sierra i heard has been a nightmare for some. I’m on Yosemite still smooth sailing.
popnwave 11:17 PM - 13 February, 2018
^^ and that's why I think 2015 is the cut off for me still. You have to go El Cap or later on the 2016s.. and of course the 2017s are Sierra or later.
DJ Tecniq 12:02 AM - 14 February, 2018
Quote:
^^ and that's why I think 2015 is the cut off for me still. You have to go El Cap or later on the 2016s.. and of course the 2017s are Sierra or later.
I agree which is why i see the problem with the 72...it is paired with SDJ. I think any DJ that rocked SSL can agree Scratchlive has been their most stable software i don’t see this ever changing. More features are just bloating the software. SDJ Pro should be nothing to be proud of the column spacing is prob the best tweaked fix ever...so much easier on the eyes 👀
DJ Padida 12:22 AM - 14 February, 2018
Still got my mbp 17 2011 i7 2.3 16gb ram 1tb ssd with yosemite. This thing runs ssl, sdj, rekordbox, ableton, mixed in key, mixemergency etc...Not breaking a sweat. 2 words: King shit.
Leo Mann 12:25 AM - 14 February, 2018
Thanks for the input y’all. Yea I still have SSL and Serato DJ installled. I found myself using SSL more for gigs and serato DJ at home. I think I’ll go with a 2015 mbp. It will be easier on my pocket as well!
DJ Tecniq 12:36 AM - 14 February, 2018
Quote:
Thanks for the input y’all. Yea I still have SSL and Serato DJ installled. I found myself using SSL more for gigs and serato DJ at home. I think I’ll go with a 2015 mbp. It will be easier on my pocket as well!
Whatever you so stay away from the Touchbar Macs I’ve heard mad problems with those and Serato.
DJ BIS 5:16 AM - 25 April, 2018
I agree with the old adage - "Stick with whatever works for you...".
But then there's this...
Not trolling. Just observe and decide for yourself:

Watchwww.youtube.com
mixgoonie 7:44 AM - 25 April, 2018
Thanks DJ BIS, just an outstanding video and so well documented...
DJ Tecniq 12:24 PM - 25 April, 2018
Apple has been shit ever since Steve Jobs passed. When i find out my Mid 2010 MacBook Pro I purchased from their website would later become defective i was pissed. But I have to be honest I’d rather use Mac than Windows it’s a love/hate thing they can still go fuck themselves lol... oh and the fact none of their previous OS X are available on their App Store anymore...yup they can go fuck themselves not everyone wants to be on High Sierra. They could at least offer other solutions for free software...greedy bastards😬
DJ BIS 9:07 PM - 10 May, 2018
Quote:
Thanks DJ BIS, just an outstanding video and so well documented...

Glad you felt that way... that's what I thought too. And hence why I have no problem posting it here, and willing to deal with any hostility. Louis Rossman has years of the most in-depth experience with these machines and the full Apple Product line. He is not just a hater, or a troll, or a fanboy of any kind. The dude just dishes out great info that he has been able to corroborate through his own experience.

That is knowledge I feel good sharing.

The first part of the video really hit a nerve though.
If it was Dell, or Rane, or Toyota, or... (you get the point), people would typically distance themselves and vilify the brand. Potentially to never return as a customer.
With Apple they manage to get in long lines again, only to be screwed a second or third time.

HOW????
HOW.
He makes a truly great point. I cannot understand how marketing can somehow ERASE common sense from humans in such effective way. It's truly magical and somewhat scary.
dj scottie b 2:08 PM - 11 May, 2018
just sharing here
i got a 2016 touch bar MBP
2.6 i7
very fast , and i got loads of junk on here and its till very fast.
doesn't crash or glitch. its great.
I've had a few MBP as i needed a new one over time here and there.
all of them are rock solid and why i will continue w them .
but again , others may have had some issues w the new ones, but i haven't at all.
Logisticalstyles 4:45 PM - 11 May, 2018
Quote:
If it was Dell, or Rane, or Toyota, or... (you get the point), people would typically distance themselves and vilify the brand.

If that were true then Microsoft would be out of business already. Windows updates routinely need to be rolled back because something "breaks" every time a new one is released yet people still rely on it for business and personal use.
popnwave 4:54 PM - 11 May, 2018
Win 10 updates constantly break stuff at work for my office!

Just like OSX/macOS we have 2-3 month moratoriums on Win 10 updates (outside of security patches) because of all this silliness.
deejdave 1:59 AM - 12 May, 2018
Keep in mind just about NONE of the above is in regards to Serato. Keeping things on topic and is Mac still the way to go with Serato yes it is. Mixgoonie is against all things Apple by default with so trust the bias is real but using both OS & machines (windows/PC as well as Apple/MacOS) I can say I prefer Windows all day except in regards to Serato and DJ/production SW specifically. I like the customization and options with Windows/PC but it is this same concept that makes them harder to support while things with Apple both MacOS and iOS just work.

The BIG difference and reasoning behind all these Apple hate videos is there is no single entity to blame for PC shortcomings................ just their OS.
Mutis Mayfield 12:42 PM - 12 May, 2018
In desktop/laptop is still the king. Expensive for non professional users but still the king.

The thing is as every day goes Djing by itself is being harder to justify the “professional tax” and at the same time the trivialization of the Djing itself (with Spotify, Pyro and flood of cheap controllers) made the niche even thight.

I think (but I could be wrong of course) Apple is ditching AV professionals behind and focusing in plain consumers. It still has the “extra mojo” (design, macOS...) but CPu power stagnation and ARM pushing hard seem point to specialization of devices. If I’m right we will see macbooks with ARM as entry level (iPad pro is that but at Pro price) but also Pioneer improving standalone solutions.

In some moment inMusic has to present their own towards Serato but it could be 5 years further, next year or never because Im just speculating drawing dots from past events.
I hit sometimes, I miss other times and long ago I put my own dot with cdx midification.

In the end consumers have a lot to say with their wallets.
deejdave 3:13 PM - 12 May, 2018
I 100% agree with what you say here. I am by NO MEANS claiming that Macs have the edge in terms of raw power and again flat out AM saying they fail in comparison in terms of options, customization and value. You get more bang for you buck with Windows/PC................... that being said in regard to Serato and DJ/music SW in general Mac is still the right tool for the job and further some developers won't even approach the Windows ecosystem for these same reasons. When you have 1,000,000 possible hardware configurations which is further complicated by OS & non certified (non tested) software with option A. and 9 configurations (ball park) with all certified (tested) SW and OS (which happens to be made by the SAME DEVELOPER as the hardware BTW) with option B which one do you think would come out on top in terms of intended function and support? It is actually simple logic.

They both have their quirks. They both have their shortcomings. IN REGARDS TO DJ SW and specifically SERATO (which is pretty much all we are concerned with correct?) Mac has, does, and probably always will come out on top.

This is no different than the iOS/Android argument. Use what works for you but if music/audio is what you are after it is no secret iOS is the safer choice.
WildcardX 5:45 PM - 12 May, 2018
This argument seems a bit blurred here since some view the price factor in line with hardware..Pound for pound the Hardware is practically the same, however the relationship the software has to the OS and by extension the applications is where the juice is at. Windows is a promiscuous OS, I even go as far as to call it it a Whore but this is just my analogy; it has to work with so many elements of hardware that it has a 1 to many relationship. This relationship means more opportunities for things to go wrong. With an Object Oriented approach; when things are normalized down to a 1 to 1 relationship; only then you get optimized performance and no opportunity (or less) for errors. So OSX/MacOS is based on UNIX. When it was built it was made specifically for a certain (or limited) bit of hardware; meaning less opportunity for things to go wrong. This therefore provides a much tighter integration between software and hardware and I can appreciate that even considering I work with and came from a Windows environment.
Mutis Mayfield 7:16 PM - 12 May, 2018
@deejdave I wasn’t answering you directly. I was answering the main topic question and general “mood”... in fact I’m agree with you and @WildcardX about this.

It has been. It is and let’s hope it will continue being. The last part is where my comment was focused to. The “professional tax” is being harder to justify as time goes and “bang for buck” someone not in the “professional” world could game with a similar windows laptop.

I encourage anyone to read this cdm article about similar topic. I’m not fully agree neither with Peter Kirn due the “macOS as extra asset” but sure it will be helpful to take perspective to “sides” in the macVSpc wars... and maybe someone could consider the razer more suitable for their needs.

cdm.link

In my personal situation (not being professional) it made me hard tojustify keep my poor 2012 mac mini but I miss it sometimes...
YZ 4:22 AM - 13 May, 2018
switched from a pc to a mbp i7, 16gb... back in 2014 and never looked back. everything seems to work smoother with the mac. you still get glitches but that's on serato most of the time. I only use the mac for my music though, running high sierra no probs. once you use serato on the mac you see how native it feels.