DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

How do you handle it when people ask you to turn your music down during a gig?

DJLatina 8:25 AM - 12 February, 2018
I had this issue during . gig today.

So, there was a children's gymnastics class taking place about 10 feet away from the event I was playing at (it was at a recreation center) and every 5 minutes or so, someone from the class would come over to me to ask me to turn my music down. I was already playing at what I considered to be a low volume when a lady came up to me and started yelling at me that I was damaging the children's hearing. I ultimately had to turn it down so low that you couldn't even tell what song was playing and then I had people at the event complaining that they couldn't hear anything.

It was a really stressful situation and I had no idea how to handle it.

How would you handle something like this?
deezlee 8:28 AM - 12 February, 2018
Make it rain earplugs. Throw handfuls like yer shooting t shirts out of a cannon or throwing beads off a marti gras float.
DTweed 1:25 PM - 12 February, 2018
Play at the level that the person who is paying you deems acceptable. Let them also know the situation with the parents. I get the stress part but realistically there's a balance between not to loud for the kids and good enough for the event.

Also if you have a decibel meter (or app) you can show the parents you're playing it at the appropriate level and they will likely leave you alone since you have proof. I've done that before
Aptidda 4:42 PM - 12 February, 2018
Tell the gym class teacher that you are a paid professional and you will play at what volume level you deem appropriate. If she continues to complain politely tell her she has no authority and if she has any further issues to contact the police.
Gio Alex 5:19 PM - 12 February, 2018
Was this particular person the main client? If she isn't that I would speak to the client an explain that you're playing at an already low volume to the point that everyone else's brought that up. If she is the client then that's a different story.

Don't play at these sort of gigs I'd say. Usually if the ratio of stress vs. manageable is way high I just stay away from that kinda stuff.
Gio Alex 5:20 PM - 12 February, 2018
Quote:
Play at the level that the person who is paying you deems acceptable.

Exactly this.
DJLatina 7:04 PM - 12 February, 2018
Quote:
Was this particular person the main client?

No, she wasn't, she was a parent with a child in the gymnastics class right next to us.
Gio Alex 7:21 PM - 12 February, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
Was this particular person the main client?

No, she wasn't, she was a parent with a child in the gymnastics class right next to us.

Yeah if that's the case then I'd refer to DTweed's advice. You take orders from the person paying you. Not some heckler.
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 8:37 PM - 12 February, 2018
Could u position or point your speakers so the majority of the music goes away from "right next to you"?

Bass is sort of non directional but I'm sure a little Thump thump overflow would be less of a problem than full range bleeding sideways?
AKIEM 8:46 PM - 12 February, 2018
Only person who should be deciding what the proper level is (music selection as well), is the client.

There are a lot of annoying bystander people out there who think you should take their direction for anything. wrong. These type people don't understand you are doing a job, they think you are there playing pop crap for fun.

I just point to whoevers paying, twice or three times till they get it.
AKIEM 8:48 PM - 12 February, 2018
I also always tell clients to check the level they want because they might feel uncomfortable giving you direction and think you are blasting it too loud for your own reasons.
Gio Alex 9:09 PM - 12 February, 2018
Quote:
I also always tell clients to check the level they want because they might feel uncomfortable giving you direction and think you are blasting it too loud for your own reasons.

Same.
Hanginon 1:29 PM - 19 February, 2018
I have used these, they can help -

media.sweetwater.com

Spread your speakers are far apart as possible and as high as possible, and than use these "tilters" to aim the sound at the floor. Helps keep the mids & highs localized, especially if you are using 15" tops which tend to be very directional.
DJ Matty Stiles 2:05 PM - 19 February, 2018
Quote:
Tell the gym class teacher that you are a paid professional and you will play at what volume level you deem appropriate. If she continues to complain politely tell her she has no authority and if she has any further issues to contact the police.

I like it.

Good advice in this thread, especially to worry about the client / person paying you.
lofty 4:58 PM - 19 February, 2018
This is how I would handle it

giphy.com

:)

JK - I would let the client know we are disrupting a group in the other room and let the client ( who is paying me ) determine how to handle the situation regarding the volume.