DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Swapping KSUB for Bose F1 subs?

Chrisjin 6:01 PM - 6 February, 2018
So I returned the KW181 as they were defective and now I'm leaning towards the F1 subs. I have a KSUB right now but want more bass to go with the K12's. I listened to the Bose F1 and was pretty amazed by them and the size and weight is what even intrigues me even more.

Anyone have experience with this combination, K12s and F1 subs????
dj_soo 6:54 PM - 6 February, 2018
I'd just get a pair of working kw181s.
Chrisjin 7:06 PM - 6 February, 2018
dammit you were suppose to say yes, save your back..get the F1 ,..haha..Yes I'm still leaning towards the KW181s but like I said, the size of the F1 is very tempting
Gio Alex 7:11 PM - 6 February, 2018
How about two Ksubs? lol
dj_soo 9:23 PM - 6 February, 2018
two EV EKX18SPs? or even EKX15SPs?
pdidy 11:19 PM - 6 February, 2018
Quote:
I'd just get a pair of working kw181s.

+1
DJ Reflex 5:38 AM - 7 February, 2018
I heard the new Bose subs too - they sounded great! My buddy has two KSubs. They're OK for smaller venues, but lack any serious punch for gymnasiums and such. I used to own the Bose 502 sub and it pounded (for smaller venues as well).
dj_soo 7:01 AM - 7 February, 2018
for smaller subs, I like the Yorkville PS15S - not the lowest, but they have some pretty nice oomph for the size and weight. Pricey tho.
Chrisjin 3:16 PM - 7 February, 2018
Quote:
for smaller subs, I like the Yorkville PS15S - not the lowest, but they have some pretty nice oomph for the size and weight. Pricey tho.

I seen those but unfortunately, no where around here carries Yorkville for me to test. The price isn't bad at $1300 which is around what I'm willing to spend.
Gio Alex 3:29 PM - 7 February, 2018
I thought this whole thread about KSUB vs BOSE F1 Sub had to do with size and portability.
Chrisjin 3:38 PM - 7 February, 2018
Not really KSub vs F1 but more of replacing the KSUB with something with more bass but without sacrificing my back. Also am seeing if anyone has experience with the K12s or similar stacked with the F1. I'm not a Bose person as I have always believed they were more a slick marketed brand versus quality. But when I heard them and saw the size plus weight, I was sold.
Gio Alex 3:51 PM - 7 February, 2018
Gotcha. I guess I assumed that because the both or more compact and "lightweight" for a sub.
dj_soo 8:56 PM - 7 February, 2018
If they sound good to you, then go for it. Personally I'm not a fan of Bose stuff, but I've never heard that particular sub.

For light and smaller, I'd probably look at 15" Subs. EV, JBL, and RCF all have 15" options that are pretty light.
577er 3:07 AM - 8 February, 2018
The RCF 705AS2 is my choice for small mobile subs. They don’t hit like the 181 but for the weight they are the best thing I’ve found.
Gio Alex 3:08 AM - 8 February, 2018
Quote:
The RCF 705AS2 is my choice for small mobile subs. They don’t hit like the 181 but for the weight they are the best thing I’ve found.

I really want a pair.
pdidy 5:15 AM - 8 February, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

I really want a pair.

Ive been heavily debating getting the db Technologies ES1203 as my single sub micro system for small bars, baby showers and small BBq's. But what I really want and dont need is to build my own all active (no passive tops requiring an amp in sub) micro system combining 1 RCF 705AS2 with the db technologies ingenia tops www.dbtechnologies.com. But im still undecided if i want a single top www.dbtechnologies.com or 2 top www.dbtechnologies.com micro system to destroy all the "Evox" type of systems.
577er 1:22 PM - 8 February, 2018
You should definitely built the micro system with two IG2Ts so you can report back to the forum 😉
Al Poulin 3:05 AM - 9 February, 2018
The KW181s are excellent subs and the Bose F1 subs are excellent as well. Both are vastly superior to the Ksub - so either will sound much better. I'm not a big Bose fan, the the F1 tops and subs are surprsingly good.

Al
Taipanic 3:11 PM - 9 February, 2018
Might want to consider the JTR Captivator 212. Only 74 lbs powered, goes down into the upper 30 hz range.
www.jtrspeakers.com

The EV ZXa1 subs are also very small & light but while they put out a lot of sound for their size, they won't compare to output from the KW181. I have a pair and other DJs who rent them from me for small events love them though.
Gio Alex 3:17 PM - 9 February, 2018
Quote:
Might want to consider the JTR Captivator 212. Only 74 lbs powered, goes down into the upper 30 hz range.
www.jtrspeakers.com

The EV ZXa1 subs are also very small & light but while they put out a lot of sound for their size, they won't compare to output from the KW181. I have a pair and other DJs who rent them from me for small events love them though.

Yeah I own one, but they're kinda weak. definitely need to pair them. I use em for super small parties and 8" tops.
Gio Alex 3:21 PM - 9 February, 2018
Referring to the EV ZXa1 subs of course.

Super light though.
Jon-Paul Evans 5:53 AM - 22 October, 2018
[Quote]Ive been heavily debating getting the db Technologies ES1203 as my single sub micro system for small bars, baby showers and small BBq's. But what I really want and dont need is to build my own all active (no passive tops requiring an amp in sub) micro system combining 1 RCF 705AS2 with the db technologies ingenia tops www.dbtechnologies.com. But im still undecided if i want a single top www.dbtechnologies.com or 2 top www.dbtechnologies.com micro system to destroy all the "Evox" type of systems.

I've been researching and thinking about this for a long time. Wondering if the answer is to go with 1 es1203 system for smaller gigs. And have 2 ig2t tops to go with 1 or 2 of my kw181s.
The ig4t seem great but a little too long for transporting in on my cart with the rest of my gear. Maybe split the difference and go 2 ig3ts. Super loud. Most versatile. They're like a killer 15" top with a 3" hf driver. I already have a pair of dsr115s though - and they're plenty. Could replace my kw153s with the ig4ts.

Or could just do 2 es1203 and use my existing gear for other applications. Nice knowing I only need 1 power cord to each 1203...

Pdiddy- what have you done or what are you thinking?
577er 5:23 PM - 22 October, 2018
I had the chance to listen to the INGENIA IG4T next to an RCF NXL24a and an RCF NX32A. The IG4T & NXL24a are obviously very similar but I preferred the sound of the RCF to my own surprise and the finish of box on the RCF seems way more durable, but I would say neither of these would be good in "micro system".

The IG4T & NXL24A need to be paired with serious subs to really make sense and are best for covering large areas not small ones. As column arrays they don't really have any punch on their own to be a piratical "micro system" design. If you are covering a large area and are 20+ feet away from your audience then yeah these are the way to go.

The NX32A on the other hand sounds amazing in the typical 10 to 40 foot distance most "micro systems" cover. Very full and punchy. With a sub they would be even better.
Jon-Paul Evans 6:40 PM - 22 October, 2018
Quote:
I had the chance to listen to the INGENIA IG4T next to an RCF NXL24a and an RCF NX32A. The IG4T & NXL24a are obviously very similar but I preferred the sound of the RCF to my own surprise and the finish of box on the RCF seems way more durable, but I would say neither of these would be good in "micro system".

The IG4T & NXL24A need to be paired with serious subs to really make sense and are best for covering large areas not small ones. As column arrays they don't really have any punch on their own to be a piratical "micro system" design. If you are covering a large area and are 20+ feet away from your audience then yeah these are the way to go.

The NX32A on the other hand sounds amazing in the typical 10 to 40 foot distance most "micro systems" cover. Very full and punchy. With a sub they would be even better.

very helpful feedback especially since I have not and will not be able to hear these on my own. I'm now curious about a comparison and practical application of ES1203 vs IG2T over a sub (18"). Obvious thought is ig2t over an 18 will be a bit louder/deeper but will the convenience of the 1203 win out in certain areas? Or am i barking up the wrong tree for a wedding DJ? Are these not best options for indoor, wedding/corporate applications? Should I stick with the top over sub instead of the new trend of compact line array systems?
Jon-Paul Evans 6:48 PM - 22 October, 2018
Are there any good options that have a 3" vc and built in x/over hpf so I can use it with my kw181?

IG3T has a 3" vc and can be programmed to work with the KW181. But is this overkill for a wedding rig for 150-250 people and close proximity to dancefloor?

I already have the DSR115s and feel like the ig3t would just be a lateral move - or a light step-up. But it would look nicer.
dj_soo 7:00 PM - 22 October, 2018
the upcoming Yamaha DZR10 will have a 2" voice coil like your DSRs.

It's probably the only small-size powered top with that larger VC out there.

Everything else that has 3-4" VCs tend to be 15" tops it seems.
pdidy 11:10 PM - 22 October, 2018
Quote:

4-6in woofers used in column arrays never make for a good stand-alone speaker. For stand-alone use, your traditional 12-15in is the better tool.

So my intent or definition for a "Micro system" requires a small sub 50lbs or less in conjunction with a self-powered lightweight column array. So while I agree with your findings that the NXL24A is a lil better than the IG4T, the NXL24A is disqualified due to weight @ 58.2lbs.

The goal of this Micro system is to be noticeably superior to ANY well-known column array system already available. The IG4T or IG2T can easily outperform anything in the column arrays on market right now. Combine it with a lite weight 50lb or less sub like the RCF 705AS2 and nothing else comes close. Of course, the IG4T is overkill for a small sub but when choosing a microsystem BASS clearly is not your priority, output, size, and weight are though.
Jon-Paul Evans 11:34 PM - 22 October, 2018
So maybe even the IG1T or 2t. I even think the db tech sub 612 or 615 could pair nicely with them. But the rcf 702/705 are nice options.
577er 11:44 PM - 22 October, 2018
My current small system is a pair of RCF HD10a mk4 over a single RCF 702as2 or one or two 705as2. No complaints from me our the audience so far. I run the 702 on an aux feed because it’s not able to keep up with the tops at all and I have to keep an eye on it to prevent from limiting while the HD10s run full range and never hit the limiters. I often have the 702 boundary loaded if I can in a corner or at least against a wall. That really helps as it’s a very small sub.
dj_soo 6:05 AM - 23 October, 2018
my current small rig is Yamaha DXR8s over a Yorkville PS12S which tends to do me pretty well for gigs under 100. The PS12S packs some decent oomph for the size, but definitely limits out fairly early. The PS12S is 65 lbs tho so it's definitely not the lightest 12" sub.
djed 6:30 AM - 23 October, 2018
I used to own JBL PRX,Yamaha DXR,Yorkville Parasource then I switched to Bose F1 systems 2 Bose F1 812 and 4 Bose F1 Sub. It sounds amazing for its size! Sounded even better when I add The Bose T4s tonematch
Jon-Paul Evans 6:12 PM - 23 October, 2018
Quote:
My current small system is a pair of RCF HD10a mk4 over a single RCF 702as2 or one or two 705as2. No complaints from me our the audience so far. I run the 702 on an aux feed because it’s not able to keep up with the tops at all and I have to keep an eye on it to prevent from limiting while the HD10s run full range and never hit the limiters. I often have the 702 boundary loaded if I can in a corner or at least against a wall. That really helps as it’s a very small sub.

Awesome feedback/input. Exactly what I've been thinking about buying. Maybe I'll bump up to the 705 with the hd10s.
Thanks.