DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

QSC KS212C 'K Cardioid' Subwoofer

DJ DuoMaxwell 3:12 PM - 30 January, 2018
Hi guys,

I am in the market for some subs. I play small bars and currently use 2 QSC k12 tops but I want to add some bass to my setup. Ive been planning on picking up some QSC KW181s as I have seen DJs in my area shake venues of similar size as mine but I have been concerned about getting them because Im not sure a KW181 will fit in my vehicle lol. Ive been checking out NAMM videos and I noticed the QSC KS212C 'K Cardioid' Subwoofer might be a nice alternative and I was wondering if any of you have heard it in action yet or know how it holds up to a KW181. The reviews are obviously limited at this point since it just came out but the reviews I have read mostly say that it sounds as good if not better than the KW181. is this just hype or can anyone confirm. Thoughts?
djcrap 8:48 PM - 30 January, 2018
Qsc Kw181 can fit in the back seat of any Honda Civic or four door sedans. It can also fit in the trunk of a sedan if the bottom spare tire is removed from the truck of the car to make more space
dj_soo 8:54 PM - 30 January, 2018
the k212 is just a ksub with cardioid mode added. KW181 is a much better sub.
DJ S kwire 6:00 AM - 4 February, 2018
I'd say check the specs for starters. The k-sub is about 1/2 the power of the KS212c and doesn't have as impressive of a frequency range. Next, hit up GC and put them all next to each other and run a bass test to determine which one sounds best TO YOU!! I did this last week and ended up purchasing the KS212c and will probably get a second. The GC employee was blown away by the power of the KS212c as compared to the Ksub but still said he would take the Ksub for live music. Persona preference.
Dj Aquaman 1:38 AM - 7 July, 2018
Need a little advice/opinions. Currently using one Jbl 718xlf w QSC k12 tops and just picked up the QSC ks212c and wanted to know if anyone has tried placing the ks212c on an 18ā€ sub. Will they bang or will it be a bust? My sub is in transit and I was just wondering if anyone tried this since a lot of us are transitioning from 18s to the QSC cardioid. Any thoughts?
Taipanic 4:44 PM - 9 July, 2018
Anyone looking at the KSub should take a serious look at the JTR Captivator Pro 212. Goes 15 hz lower, louder, sounds way better, even a few pounds lighter. More expensive, but worth it to have big sub sound in a smaller package.
siroc5 5:20 AM - 13 July, 2018
I can
Quote:
Anyone looking at the KSub should take a serious look at the JTR Captivator Pro 212. Goes 15 hz lower, louder, sounds way better, even a few pounds lighter. More expensive, but worth it to have big sub sound in a smaller package.

I can attest to this as I own a pair.
dj_soo 5:35 AM - 13 July, 2018
I really want to hear that sub.

The only thing that freaks me out about it is the lack of a limit light...
577er 4:22 PM - 13 July, 2018
Quote:
I can
Quote:

I can attest to this as I own a pair.

Can you say how they perform compared to a 18ā€ sub like the QSC KW181? Is it an improvement in output? sound quality? Iā€™d love to same some weight if they are at least on par with the 181s
Certified Quality Entertainment 8:51 PM - 13 July, 2018
I have a pair of the 212pros as well.
They are great subs. I have not had much experience with the QSC KW181 so I can't compare to them, but what I can say is I have used JBL SRX818SP and I could say that I would 100% choose the JTR over the JBL. I used both systems in the same room of a catering hall and I thought my JTRs sounded a lot better than the JBLs.
Certified Quality Entertainment 8:52 PM - 13 July, 2018
Quote:
I really want to hear that sub.

The only thing that freaks me out about it is the lack of a limit light...

Ive pushed them (what I think is) pretty hard and haven't had a single issue. My initial goal was to replace a pair of Yorkville LS801p with the JTR. They don't quite match up there, but a pair of 212s give plenty of output for weddings up to 2-250ppl
dj_soo 9:07 PM - 13 July, 2018
If you're looking for a replacement for the 801s - check out the new ES18P from yorkville. All the output (slightly more according to specs) but a much nicer tone and shape for transport.
DJ Fairground 7:12 AM - 3 August, 2018
You can get a Yamaha DXS15 for around 600$ now. It'll do the job. I'm using an RCF 705AS II - it's does the job well.

The KW181 can't fit in my 2016 Maxima.
DJ Reflex 1:40 AM - 4 August, 2018
I just put my new BassBoss SSP118 to a side-by-side test with a freind's QSC KW181 and my older HPR181...

BassBoss did go much lower that either of them. The sustained bass in EDM tracks was way more noticeable. It resonated the large room we were in and shook the rafters! QSC seemed louder at a narrow band of frequencies around 63 Hz (on our analyzer). BB was much louder at the lower freqs down to below 30 Hz.

My older HPR181 hit the limiter on some tracks, but both KW and BB had plenty of head room. I was not able to turn it up enough to get them to limit, but the BB sub claims 2500 RMS watt headroom while QSC is rated at 1000 watts. I'd like to push the BB sub to limit and see how far I can go...

BassBoss sub had a lot more clarity. Both QSC models seemed "muddy" and a bit washed out on most of the newer digital tracks. A few older "classic rock" tunes were OK though with good kickdrum on all three subs.

On several songs, the KW181 had audible distortion! It sounded like the cone was flapping around or it was some serious port noise. No such distortion on BB at high volumes.

Overall, the BassBoss sub sounded fuller and clearer than either of the QSC subs. It wasn't the "O-M-G, this is the loudest thing I've ever heard" sub, but it did outperform QSC in certain areas.
DJ Reflex 1:41 AM - 4 August, 2018
I did not get a chance to use the cardioid mode on BassBoss, but from what the rep told me, you turn it around and flip a switch.