DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Forget the Twelve all hail Phase :P

Mr. Goodkat 9:54 PM - 25 January, 2018
Mr. Goodkat 9:58 PM - 25 January, 2018
Logisticalstyles 10:02 PM - 25 January, 2018
Did Rane hurt their sales by not having the Twelve already out there for purchase? This Phase thing kinda just blew the Twelve off my radar. Other than cue points and needle search what else does the Twelve have to offer?
Mr. Goodkat 10:10 PM - 25 January, 2018
kinda blew my mind

the fb vid at 13:00 would be a pretty cool dmc/redbull trick
Lou Dog 10:17 PM - 25 January, 2018
Man. This looks nice. I'd even consider coping as a backup plan for when needles and RCAs shit the bed mid gig. Especially for $200 a set
popnwave 11:29 PM - 25 January, 2018
#1 we don't even KNOW what DVSs Phase will work with, hold your damn horses.
jprime 11:33 PM - 25 January, 2018
Quote:

djworx.com

"Also, Phase is compatible with any DJ software using DVS technology such as Serato, Traktor or Rekordbox. "
popnwave 11:38 PM - 25 January, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

djworx.com

"Also, Phase is compatible with any DJ software using DVS technology such as Serato, Traktor or Rekordbox. "

Nice, damn so much info spread across 10 diff sites right now.
dj_soo 11:39 PM - 25 January, 2018
For those that haven't read up on it - Phase doesn't access the software in any way - it simply transmits a timecode signal via the little sticks to the box/charger/receiver which then plugs into your mixer via RCA cables.

The sticks have some kind of accelerometer technology to detect the position and speed of the vinyl and sends that info to the receiver which decodes it as a timecode signal which then gets sent to either your serato mixer or serato box.

It is essentially a wireless timecode generator.
popnwave 11:44 PM - 25 January, 2018
So the receiver has the tone info? How do they get away with that, I wonder. Unless they have it so you provide the tone in some way by uploading it to the box? Or did they license that part?
dj_soo 11:47 PM - 25 January, 2018
They aren't using the official tone. In the techtools livestream, they pan to the serato screen for a bit and the bars are all red and the tone scopes aren't the serato scopes.

It's the same thing with the Denon SC3700/SC3900 which generates the tone internally. It's not the exact Serato Noisemap tone but rather their own compatible tone that functions perfectly even if the bars display as all red.

I've been using the SC3900s with serato for the last year and a half and there's is zero issues with tracking and performance. The only thing I've noticed is a bit of sticker drift, but I don't know how much of that is the tone and how much of that is the locking spindle technology used for the 3900s.
popnwave 11:48 PM - 25 January, 2018
Cool, if it works, it works!
Mr. Goodkat 1:13 AM - 26 January, 2018
yeah, thats what sold me on it, they were using SDJ, so i assumed if it worked with that, it would work with pretty much any of them
Mr. Goodkat 1:23 AM - 26 January, 2018
think about all the possibilities with turntables with broke tone arms. Take out tone arm, insert drink holder :D
slimmjimm 1:35 AM - 26 January, 2018
Quote:
think about all the possibilities with turntables with broke tone arms. Take out tone arm, insert drink holder :D

Make your own Twelve!

I seriously think I will cancel my Rane pre-order.
dj_soo 3:18 AM - 26 January, 2018
I still think the twelve will be a superior experience just due to greater accuracy and software integration with hid and no potential interference or latency with the wireless signal. But is it going to be $1200 worth of better experience? Who knows? I kind of want both at this point although I will definitely be getting the phase before the Twelves.
slimmjimm 4:00 AM - 26 January, 2018
I wonder if it will be SDJ only? I'm guessing not, although I have to switch sometime.
dj_soo 4:03 AM - 26 January, 2018
It's not.

Likely come loaded with traktor and possibly rekordbox timecode signals as well with the potential to add more via firmware.

Granted it's more of a reverse engineered, "bootlegged" signal similar to the tines generated on the denon sc3700 and 3900s.
dj_spark 6:32 AM - 26 January, 2018
Talking to soon and doing too late... yeah someone will learn from the TwelveTanic ! ><
kip 6:39 AM - 26 January, 2018
Quote:
Make your own Twelve!

Yeah, just get any super oem with broken tonearm that costs peanuts and there you have it. Ok, no needle drop but we can survive that I think.
DJ Marv the Maverick 7:17 AM - 26 January, 2018
That's what happens when their is so much time between announcing and launching a product. Rane.

Watch out for pioneers take on this idea...PLX750 wireless DVS turntables
Ollie 5:59 PM - 26 January, 2018
Great product but it feels like I'd be carrying around another Serato SL box and the profile on the transceiver is high. I might hit it and mess up the signal when doing doubles? Still very cool. I'm going try it out this weekend.
jprime 6:27 PM - 26 January, 2018
I use that center part of the record to nudge sometimes...might have to unlearn that habit.
DJ GaFFle 7:45 PM - 26 January, 2018
Quote:
I use that center part of the record to nudge sometimes...might have to unlearn that habit.

Naw... the designers need to design AROUND that; make this unit lower profile, circular, and out of the way for your types and others who backspin via the label area.
HK1200 7:57 PM - 26 January, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

Naw... the designers need to design AROUND that; make this unit lower profile, circular, and out of the way for your types and others who backspin via the label area.

They could, but realistically you still have the entire non-label-covered part of the record to handle with no worry of smoking the tone arm. An extension to the spindle, for the nipple twisters, might be a thoughtful addition though.
dj_soo 9:25 PM - 26 January, 2018
Someone brought up how it may have some adverse reaction to vibrations since it's a motion sensor - hopefully they considered that and it won't be affected by low end rumble.
deejayfatcat 9:26 PM - 26 January, 2018
If the platter is normally affected, they sensor likely won’t be
jprime 9:38 PM - 26 January, 2018
Looking forward to some creative videos where people DJ with a bicycle wheel and a Drill.
popnwave 10:11 PM - 26 January, 2018
^^^ after seeing some of them scratching while holding it up, you know it's coming.
DJ Reflex 4:03 AM - 27 January, 2018
Quote:
Looking forward to some creative videos where people DJ with a bicycle wheel and a Drill.

I'm just gonna add one to the propellor on the top of my hat and stand in the middle of the dance floor!
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 2:54 PM - 27 January, 2018
Wonder how much it will cost?

Anybody seen pricing?
popnwave 3:30 PM - 27 January, 2018
Quote:
Wonder how much it will cost?

Anybody seen pricing?

I was seeing 250-300UKP thrown around, so usually that's marketed as the same in USD (poor UKers always get the short straw with VAT).
Detroitbootybass 5:22 PM - 27 January, 2018
Interesting device, but not for me as you can't needle drop.
blackavenger 3:09 AM - 28 January, 2018
I think it's perfect as a backup solution should the tonearm/needles kick the bucket.

It's basically the evolution of this tascam.com (which I thought was amazing at the time)
AKIEM 3:24 AM - 28 January, 2018
Yup, first thing I thought of was that tascam wheel (which I also passed on)

I think if you make a pro/con list verse techs+dvs it falls a little short and has some deal breakers for some djs.

And aside from price it can't compete with the Rane 12 pro/con.

Dope product tho, just like the tascam
dj_spark 10:45 AM - 28 January, 2018
The major pro is : you don't need to replace your hardware, upgrade it !
AKIEM 1:15 PM - 28 January, 2018
Quote:
The major pro is : you don't need to replace your hardware, upgrade it !

So that's price, but doesn't beat techs+dvs as a pro.
dj_spark 7:33 PM - 28 January, 2018
Don't replace the Tech with a Twelve, upgrade it with phase.
Culprit 8:04 PM - 28 January, 2018
I tested the unit and it was pretty solid, and people who were questioning the signals capability to differentiate between alternate frequencies should of realized we we're in Hall's full of equipment taking up massive amounts of frequency space.

I also tested out the Twelve and I felt a better response on the Twelve vs the Phase, but not by much.

I think the concept is awesome but having to carry around the chargers, unhook turntables, hook up the system to the mixers won't be as easy as swapping needles in a club.

In an install environment the twelve is the way to go. If you want to to upgrade existing equipment if your on a budget then phase is the way to go.
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 8:50 PM - 28 January, 2018
I sometimes do outdoor (windy or even sunny) events and occasionally dj on a boat - the Phase is a perfect safety net for that

NO BOUNCING NEEDLES OR TONEARM FTW!!!
Mr. Goodkat 9:06 PM - 28 January, 2018
Quote:
I sometimes do outdoor (windy or even sunny) events and occasionally dj on a boat - the Phase is a perfect safety net for that

NO BOUNCING NEEDLES OR TONEARM FTW!!!

good point, djing w tts on boats is a nitemare
Chino 9:47 PM - 28 January, 2018
Quote:
Don't replace the Technics with a Twelve, UPGRADE it with Phase!

This should be Phase's new marketing slogan!
Djkom 6:17 PM - 29 January, 2018
Ok guys you can also forget Phase with this:

www.instagram.com

JesseDeanDesigns tone arm for the Rane 12 !!!

Analog + Digital VS Digital + Analog
Turntablism is really a special market 😂😂😂
popnwave 7:08 PM - 29 January, 2018
I don't care what anyone says, the TWEVLES and Phase are cool and there's not reason to shit on either market.
Culprit 7:09 PM - 29 January, 2018
Quote:
I don't care what anyone says, the TWEVLES and Phase are cool and there's not reason to shit on either market.

I agree each has it's purpose.
Gio Alex 8:57 PM - 29 January, 2018
I'm gonna ask a question here, and I'd like to preface this by asking that everyone not go nuts lol - but are you guys really having that many issues with needles and tonearms? And I'm not talking about doing an outside windy event.

I pretty much never have needle/cart, tonearm issues. Keep my needles clean, have back ups and by new styli when the time comes. Clean the tonearm contacts too. Are you guys djing in caves and dungeons?
Gio Alex 8:59 PM - 29 January, 2018
Quote:
I think it's perfect as a backup solution should the tonearm/needles kick the bucket.

It's basically the evolution of this tascam.com (which I thought was amazing at the time)

I like this idea of it being a backup. But I would much rather have a dedicated deck like twelve or v7 (not that i want them) than to spin with tonearms in rest with needles attached. Something just doesn't seem right about that at all.
dj_soo 9:46 PM - 29 January, 2018
Quote:
I'm gonna ask a question here, and I'd like to preface this by asking that everyone not go nuts lol - but are you guys really having that many issues with needles and tonearms? And I'm not talking about doing an outside windy event.

I pretty much never have needle/cart, tonearm issues. Keep my needles clean, have back ups and by new styli when the time comes. Clean the tonearm contacts too. Are you guys djing in caves and dungeons?

Not my own tables, but club and festival provided decks, I've had tons of problems with bad tonr arm contacts, RCA's and bass feedback from massive stacks subs.
AKIEM 10:05 PM - 29 January, 2018
Quote:

Not really. But 'some' issues, more than 'none'.

If an issue, or potential issue can be eliminated (without creating more) why not?
Culprit 10:16 PM - 29 January, 2018
Not me, not really. I think its the innovation that's appealing. I mean, there are some turntables out there that will get new life depending on the condition of the tonearm. That's a major positive you know. I think also the technology is what's appealing. I mean you can basically come out with a Bluetooth turntable which requires only a receiver.

Your getting rid of those needles, one less thing to worry about in a setup. Its the reliability of a CDJ with the performance of a Vinyl, best of both worlds. Wireless Vinyl Tracking.
AKIEM 10:26 PM - 29 January, 2018
But does it create more issues?
Gio Alex 10:28 PM - 29 January, 2018
Quote:

Of course it does. Wireless will always add another form of troubleshooting.
Culprit 10:34 PM - 29 January, 2018
in all the videos you can see the receiver is like right on top of the mixer, so yeah there is definitely some issues going on.
CMOS 11:26 PM - 29 January, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

Not my own tables, but club and festival provided decks, I've had tons of problems with bad tonr arm contacts, RCA's and bass feedback from massive stacks subs.

I have one spot where no matter what i do i have to lick the cart for it to connect. Ive cleaned the tonearm with an eraser, rubbed a qtip with cleaning spray, nada, have to lick every time.

Another spot the tonearms are not tight and any kind of scratching or juggling is sketchy at best.

Some places when i get there to setup, they pull the turntables out of storage, who knows how its kept back there. From the looks of them im guessing upside down resting on the tonearm in a puddle of beer.

This would give me peace of mind that no matter what the condition, im ok. Doubt i would use it too much but just knowing its in the bag would make new spots less nerve racking.
CMOS 11:28 PM - 29 January, 2018
The question i keep asking is will these things pull more people away from CDJs? Hope so. Hate those things.
DJ Irv 11:33 PM - 29 January, 2018
Unless the price of the Twelve comes down drastically I see people opting for the Phase more often than not.
dj_soo 11:49 PM - 29 January, 2018
I tour to a lot of smaller towns where the tables are sourced from whomever the promoter knows in town (or their own decks). I once did a gig where one of our set of decks was pulled out of a shed and looked like they hadn't been moved in over a year. Because our touring act requires 4 decks, the likelihood of getting problematic tables seems to go up.
AKIEM 12:17 AM - 30 January, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

Of course it does. Wireless will always add another form of troubleshooting.

Exactly, thats why I'm getting a TWELVE.
Mr. Goodkat 3:42 AM - 30 January, 2018
Quote:
Some places when i get there to setup, they pull the turntables out of storage, who knows how its kept back there. From the looks of them im guessing upside down resting on the tonearm in a puddle of beer.

haha

i'd say one more problems is just having proper setups for bass and people dancing.

One place i play has just basically a plywood carpeted table with the decks sitting directly on them. one deck is closer to the monitor and it picks up heavy bass.

some friends always play with vinyl and it seems everytime i go to one of their gigs(usually at smaller bars/lounges) they are near a dance floor and their tables are always skipping from people dancing.
Ollieboy 5:25 AM - 30 January, 2018
If MWare Mixars incorperates this Phase reader into a new mixer and pulling the main features off the & 72 and S9 they will completely kill the competition period!
Culprit 5:38 AM - 30 January, 2018
Quote:
If MWare Mixars incorperates this Phase reader into a new mixer and pulling the main features off the & 72 and S9 they will completely kill the competition period!

I was playing with the mixars quattro and besides the dull look its a pretty decent mixer.
dj_soo 7:37 AM - 30 January, 2018
rumors are that mixars is done with RCF and may be done as a company
Culprit 7:51 AM - 30 January, 2018
RCF and DB Technologies = Mixars right?
deezlee 7:53 AM - 30 January, 2018
So foreal would you leave the tonearm in the rest or no?
dj_soo 8:08 AM - 30 January, 2018
db tech is a subsidiary to RCF and mixars is a company under db tech.

The rumors is that RCF is pulling out of the DJ game and cutitng Mixars loose. Someone else could pick them up, but I'm not sure who that would be. InMusic seems like they have all their bases covered and don't need another sub brand competing with itself unless they want to have yet another brand to cover entry level and midrange mixers (does Numark even still make DJ mixers?) so I can't see them picking up Mixars. Maybe MUSIC group or ? All they have is behringer in the DJ realm and that's definitely more in the entry level end of gear.

Stanton has been pretty quiet too, but I doubt they would be interested considering how irrelevant they are to the DJ world these days outside of the refreshed 150 turntables.

Or maybe it's just rumors and I'll finally be able to get my hands on the Mixars Primo that I've wanted for the last year...
dj_spark 9:19 AM - 30 January, 2018
I had so many issues with turntables back then...

- wooden booth with subwoofers underneath
- collecting dust all night on the stylus
- guest dj setting his warlord weight and height adjustement
- cdj guys bumping the tables trying to setup while you're playing
- bad ground that hum into the dvs input and need you to set it with a higher threshold (less reaction)

Now TTs are only for home use, even if dvs have made huge progress (anti skip, noise filtering). I was going for a Twelve but doing really need it because I have a V7.

What I see with Phase is that it will prevent people from being disgusted by the numerous issues of mixing with TTs. If Phase would have been there years ago, lots of decks and midi controler wouldn't have seen the light...
kip 4:00 PM - 30 January, 2018
Quote:
Ok guys you can also forget Phase with this:

www.instagram.com

JesseDeanDesigns tone arm for the Rane 12 !!!

Analog + Digital VS Digital + Analog
Turntablism is really a special market 😂😂😂

Dumb idea. The 12 is not isolated properly as a normal tt is.
Gio Alex 4:13 PM - 30 January, 2018
I think phase is fine as a back up, just like instant doubles, and internal. But I'm not keen on anything wireless as a base setup.

Also setting the tone arm on reset with needles while using this is blasphemous lol. For all that just use CDJs, 3900s, V7, Twelves or a whatever.
Gio Alex 4:17 PM - 30 January, 2018
Quote:
I have one spot where no matter what i do i have to lick the cart for it to connect. Ive cleaned the tonearm with an eraser, rubbed a qtip with cleaning spray, nada, have to lick every time.

This is bad though. Many years ago I had to properly clean contacts on a tonearm as a result of people licking carts. The contacts in the tonearm were corroded from moisture. I used a magnifying glass and light and you could actually see the build up. Had to use some sort of silver paint cleaning thing to get the contacts back to working.
Gio Alex 4:21 PM - 30 January, 2018
Also, there are spots with beat as gear tho. One spot in particular had a very sticky (multiple drink spilled) Rane 62. But I also blame unprofessional djs for that. But most posh spots i've spun at have CDJs anyway. It's seldom I run into turntables.
deezlee 7:51 PM - 30 January, 2018
Foreal though are you gonna just leave the tonearm on the rest while you DJ?
dj_soo 8:53 PM - 30 January, 2018
that's sort of the point
Gio Alex 8:54 PM - 30 January, 2018
Quote:
Foreal though are you gonna just leave the tonearm on the rest while you DJ?

I think that's what they're gearing towards. If you think guests already found it confusing how serato works, now they'll see rested tonearms and needles not touch the vinyl and be extra confused LOL
dj_soo 8:56 PM - 30 January, 2018
should just print out a diagram explaining how the wireless system and DVS works and hand them out to people who ask.
Gio Alex 9:07 PM - 30 January, 2018
Quote:
should just print out a diagram explaining how the wireless system and DVS works and hand them out to people who ask.

LOL
Chrisjin 11:34 PM - 30 January, 2018
Poor Shure and Ortofon
dj_spark 8:55 AM - 31 January, 2018
Unless one of them buy Phase.
Chino 3:05 PM - 31 January, 2018
Quote:
Unless one of them buy Phase.

I can see this happening especially if Phase turns out to be very successful!
Gio Alex 3:39 PM - 31 January, 2018
Quote:
Poor Shure and Ortofon

People still spin wax.

Ortofon could just lower their prices too lol. Just sayin.
kip 6:29 PM - 31 January, 2018
Someone will come up with a separate touch strip. For Traktor it is already on X1 mk2, DPP has on screen touch control.
Chrisjin 6:56 PM - 31 January, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
Poor Shure and Ortofon

Ortofon could just lower their prices too lol. Just sayin.

that would be lovely ..haha
AKIEM 7:20 PM - 31 January, 2018
Let's see this built into a mixer
Ollieboy 11:08 PM - 31 January, 2018
Quote:
Let's see this built into a mixer

I agree 💯. Just like they did with the Serato box and package the receivers with it, I will buy it right now! I say a updated Mixars Duo Phaser bundle!
DJ Marv the Maverick 10:39 AM - 1 February, 2018
Absolutely no reason why someone like Pio can't just buy Phase or licence it

Full analogue Turntable PLX 750 Wireless DVS with the sender under the platter

The receiver inside a DJM 350/450 Wireless DVS

Best of both worlds...You can still use your regular styli and if you wanna go wireless it's available.
deejayfatcat 12:36 PM - 1 February, 2018
Sensor must be above the platter. It tracks the records movement not the platter.
Wavespeech 1:22 PM - 1 February, 2018
I had an idea like this in the late 90's, when I moved from vinyl to CDJ500's and I missed the scratch manipulation of the record, and also working in I.T. I saw the evolution of the mouse and wireless tech.

Take the Technics 45 adapter, hollow it out.
stick in an optical sensor or 2 from a mouse, on the bottom 'looking' at the vinyl sticker.
Add a twist 'chuck' to the centre of the 45 adapter to grip tightly the platter spindle.
Add an optical sensor on the side of the 45 adapter to read the distance to any tonearm with a reflector sticker on the side, for needle position info. I thought about another 45 adapter to somehow read the position of the tonearm at the pivot, couldn't work out how to mount it neatly, in my head.

Throw all this data to a device via Bluetooth, or whichever wireless comms would take off, at the time.

The device could then slow down and speed up the audio like the drag and advance of my CDJ500's but in real time. Hell I could speed up and slow down audio from my PC's Soundblaster sound card, how hard could this be.......

Alas I never made in and now work a 9-5.
Someone probably made it I guess.

I then moved on to retrofit a midi interface to my CDJ500, with wires soldered to the internal switches and exiting to a break out box. I wasn't very successful with the platter/control dial.
djdisciple 1:36 PM - 1 February, 2018
I've heard from several people that the latency / responsiveness was very impressive. Most said tighter than serato's latency even. Big plus for some turntablists. Too soon to tell though how reliable it is tho.
DJ Marv the Maverick 2:19 PM - 1 February, 2018
Quote:
Sensor must be above the platter. It tracks the records movement not the platter.

Coat the platter underside with vinyl...will that work
Wavespeech 2:26 PM - 1 February, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

Coat the platter underside with vinyl...will that work

?

You mean place the sensor in the deck platter to 'read' the underside of the vinyl record?
You're trying to report back the position of the vinyl, not the platter otherwise it's just a controller setup where you manipulate the platter.

But you're over complicating things, just gaffer tape your mouse to the end of the tonearm, gaffer tape down the left mouse button, put the cursor over the waveform in SDJ on the PC, put the mouse on the record and wiki wiki wiki scratch away.
DJ Marv the Maverick 2:33 PM - 1 February, 2018
Ha i forget about slipmats. Yeah it has to be on top to read the actual vinyl movement.
Wavespeech 2:49 PM - 1 February, 2018
I do remember some company, back in the day, prototyping a laser stylus to read the vinyl tracks, don't know how it tracked though. That never took off.

Trying to re-invent the wheel(s of steel), I guess today's controllers have it pretty much nailed.
Tomorrows DJs won't remember vinyl, or have any past knowledge of the feel.

Minority Report style will be the next thing, DJs big fish little fish cardboard boxing their way through mixes.
popnwave 3:32 PM - 1 February, 2018
Quote:
I do remember some company, back in the day, prototyping a laser stylus to read the vinyl tracks, don't know how it tracked though. That never took off.

elpj.com was the only one to pull off a laser system that worked and that was for home use, archival purposes. I wouldn't mind one if I won the lottery :D
AKIEM 5:08 PM - 1 February, 2018
Quote:
I've heard from several people that the latency / responsiveness was very impressive. Most said tighter than serato's latency even. Big plus for some turntablists. Too soon to tell though how reliable it is tho.

Let me guess - it's tighter than Serato, using Serato.

lovely
Gio Alex 5:10 PM - 1 February, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

Let me guess - it's tighter than Serato, using Serato.

lovely

LOL
djdisciple 5:29 PM - 1 February, 2018
I can't say if it indeed has a tighter response/latency than a needle DVS setup since I was not there, but this was a strong consensus from I heard about it, including Dj's that went from my city (PDX.) Skratcher wild cuts champion celly who attended also had the same remarks. Many people were impressed, including a lot of the tablists that attended.
Latency is a huge deal for tablists. I prefer to scratch on real vinyl because it has an instant response. Even the smallest differences make the experience feel more natural. Of course you can cut on DVS but I have to adjust my timing a bit when switching from DVS to just the ole' scratch record. So the latency and the accuracy of the tracking at really low speeds (tablist stuff) is something that really has grabbed my attention. But this is just the first impressions from NAMM.
djdisciple 5:36 PM - 1 February, 2018
I am also waiting to hear more opinions from more people I know that got to try it out this year. I don't know if it would be possible to improve the latency by using this wireless phase system within the DVS itself, and computer processing power plays a role, but I am only going off of people opinions that went (specifically scratchers. ) If it's only as tight as a traditional DVS setup can get than this is not that big of a plus for me personally.
Gio Alex 6:01 PM - 1 February, 2018
Here's my question... How long can this product really be in demand for? Don't most nighclubs have CDJs? Or is this gear towards home use? Just trying to wrap my head around it.
Logisticalstyles 7:31 PM - 1 February, 2018
Quote:
If it's only as tight as a traditional DVS setup can get than this is not that big of a plus for me personally.

It can't possibly be tighter than a DVS setup because it relies on DVS to work.
djdisciple 7:34 PM - 1 February, 2018
I think its pretty innovative (phase) but other than that it might just be a backup piece of gear for a clubs trashed tt's. I've also seen those headshells that go straight to the mixer bypassing the tt innards for such situations as well, but i don't know if that really took off.

I have heard it feels as good as a serato record (from someone I asked today) in terms of Latency from some and I've heard maybe better/tighter from a few. Could just be that the computer running the demo had really high specs for serato and maybe some of those dj's laptops don't quite cut it when they put it on the tightest buffer on their laptop? There is still some drift issues but it was a known issue.
djdisciple 8:02 PM - 1 February, 2018
Hopefully some forum members attended NAMM and had an experience with it. I was skeptical at first too because I thought it was being touted as impressive for being a wireless dvs device, but I heard that it was tighter than the rane 12 latency (which should run as tight as a tt, cdj or controller using dvs?) maybe their latencey at the rane booth laptop wasn't maxed out? So either some magic was going on or people were just exaggerating what their thoughts/experiences were about phase. I was not there, but some of the opinions (especially from whom) i heard got me really interested in phase, even if it's just to become an accessory/backup piece.
dj_soo 9:09 PM - 1 February, 2018
The biggest complaint I heard about the phase was the wireless range. Like literally if the receiver was sitting on the left deck, the right deck wouldn't pick up.

I wouldn't doubt that's intentional to try to reduce chances of interference, and I heard they're going to work on extendeding the range a bit more.
Culprit 11:22 PM - 1 February, 2018
Quote:
The biggest complaint I heard about the phase was the wireless range. Like literally if the receiver was sitting on the left deck, the right deck wouldn't pick up.

I wouldn't doubt that's intentional to try to reduce chances of interference, and I heard they're going to work on extendeding the range a bit more.

They were having signal issues.
kip 1:39 PM - 2 February, 2018
Quote:

They should split the receiver in two - makes it possible to be closer to the sender and also easier for diy integration into a turntable.
AKIEM 3:54 PM - 2 February, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

They should split the receiver in two - makes it possible to be closer to the sender and also easier for diy integration into a turntable.

As close as possible, close enough to touch the record.... or even an arm that hovers right over the sender... like two cm above it (that should work)
HighTopFade 7:40 PM - 2 February, 2018
A pair of Twelves is out of my price range. This is an affordable risk.
CMOS 8:10 PM - 2 February, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

As close as possible, close enough to touch the record.... or even an arm that hovers right over the sender... like two cm above it (that should work)

They should make it mount on the unused tonearm.
AKIEM 9:01 PM - 2 February, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

...and run the signal through the RCAs.
lol
kip 9:16 PM - 2 February, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Inserted in the hinge slot is better in my view.
Gio Alex 9:19 PM - 2 February, 2018
Quote:
Inserted in the hinge slot is better in my view.

Great idea.
deezlee 9:25 PM - 2 February, 2018
I thought something like this would be ideal (transmitter in the record or platter ideally) until it actually came out. Now I'm realizing that I'd rather deal with needles and control vinyl then use Phase and look/feel super dumb Djing on turntables with the tonearm sitting on the rest.
kip 10:01 PM - 2 February, 2018
Quote:
Now I'm realizing that I'd rather deal with needles and control vinyl then use Phase and look/feel super dumb Djing on turntables with the tonearm sitting on the rest.

Pff, it's not dumber than a tt without a tonearm...that requires a third party magnetically attached one.
dj_soo 10:06 PM - 2 February, 2018
I'll be all about it. Most of the time the gigs where these would be most useful - mainly music festivals and larger clubs - the booth is too high to see the decks regardless.

Besides, I'm so over replacing needles and control vinyl not to mention having to deal with bad tonearm contacts, RCA leads, and feedback when on the road that if these work properly, it would be a no brainer for me.

It's also much more likely that I would use these to handle problematic setups than expecting every show to have a set of Twelves ready for me.
CMOS 10:15 PM - 2 February, 2018
Quote:
I thought something like this would be ideal (transmitter in the record or platter ideally) until it actually came out. Now I'm realizing that I'd rather deal with needles and control vinyl then use Phase and look/feel super dumb Djing on turntables with the tonearm sitting on the rest.

So put the tone arm on the record. No one will know the difference. Its not like its playing anything.
kip 10:35 PM - 2 February, 2018
Quote:
So put the tone arm on the record. No one will know the difference. Its not like its playing anything.

Lol, it works even with a broken needle.
Ollieboy 2:18 AM - 3 February, 2018
I would hide it in a record made of wood and put it on the TT just to see people reactions.
deezlee 4:31 AM - 3 February, 2018
I'll just go into business selling "phase" endless groove dummy records and fake dummy "phase" needles for fake tonearm use.
Wavespeech 8:48 AM - 3 February, 2018
Split the Phase receiver into two, make each half screw into the headshell mount on the tonearm, run a thin cable under the tonearm with elegant clips to the rear of the deck where it plugs into the box o tricks.

But why would you, we have a vinyl decks solution, we have perfectly fine controllers and we have pad masher DJs.

It's a product that not required trying to better what's already available on an ever decreasing market.

If it's as cheap as replacing the carts on my old decks I might drag them out of the attic.
kip 1:28 PM - 3 February, 2018
Pros i see:
- better calibration and signal, not dependent on cart output strength and/or control vinyl imperfections
- no warped CV problems (needle skip)
- no record wear (don't have to renew your CV)
- no needle wear or other needle related problems like dust collecting that needs constant wiping
- easy change of dj's
- easy cross change with regular vinyl
- no annoying "wee" needle talk when in quiet environment

Cons:
- not in two parts, per deck
- no single receivers to purchase as a spare
- possible wireless connection problems
- possible battery autonomy problems
Detroitbootybass 4:22 PM - 3 February, 2018
I can't believe that the lack of needle dropping isn't listed as a 'con'.
AKIEM 4:24 PM - 3 February, 2018
Quote:
Pros i see:
- better calibration and signal, not dependent on cart output strength and/or control vinyl imperfections
- no warped CV problems (needle skip)
- no record wear (don't have to renew your CV)
- no needle wear or other needle related problems like dust collecting that needs constant wiping
- easy change of dj's
- easy cross change with regular vinyl

I took easy change off the list. If both djs use it the change over would be about the same as a serato box.

And the list is kinda fluffy - analog vinyl and needle problems.

Quote:

Cons:
- not in two parts, per deck
- no single receivers to purchase as a spare
- possible wireless connection problems
- possible battery autonomy problems

- another box to carry and set up
- no needle drop
- added latency
- takes space on the label many djs need to perform

Persobally, I wouldn't trust wireless conectivity till I hear absolutely zero reports of issues, which I doubt.

But for me the real deal breaker is it sits on the label. I use that area and there arnt enough pros to change my habits. Particularly when TWELVEs eliminates those cons and have the same pros+++.

Rane 12s FTW official
(I still might buy Phase tho)
Ollieboy 4:25 PM - 3 February, 2018
They can do it as a paid subscription or insurance so when the battery wears out on the unit they send you a new one.
AKIEM 4:27 PM - 3 February, 2018
Quote:
They can do it as a paid subscription or insurance so when the battery wears out on the unit they send you a new one.

They better send it for free, otherwise that's an incentive to offer weak batteries
Logisticalstyles 4:55 PM - 3 February, 2018
Quote:

+1

Quote:

A lot of DJs including myself just don't use that feature. I tried to use it in the past but it just isn't my thing.

Quote:
Persobally, I wouldn't trust wireless conectivity till I hear absolutely zero reports of issues, which I doubt.

But yet you still use Serato to DJ and there are reports of issues on a daily basis. There is no such thing as a perfect product. It's up to the end users skill and environment. Some DJs use shitty computers and then try to blame the software for their issues. Would you base your opinions of a product on that person's reviews?
kip 7:28 PM - 3 February, 2018
Quote:

Quote:
- no needle drop

Well that is clear from the beginning, tonearm is out. This thing is supposed to turn your tt into a motorized platter controller. For Traktor one can use the X1 touch strip.

Quote:
I took easy change off the list. If both djs use it the change over would be about the same as a serato box.

It wont be the same, next dj just plugs his soundcard into free channel inputs, he has nothing to unplug.

Quote:
- added latency

Is that confirmed? It shouldn't add.

Quote:

Not bigger than the carts box.
AKIEM 7:56 PM - 4 February, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

+1

Quote:

A lot of DJs including myself just don't use that feature. I tried to use it in the past but it just isn't my thing.

Quote:

But yet you still use Serato to DJ and there are reports of issues on a daily basis. There is no such thing as a perfect product. It's up to the end users skill and environment. Some DJs use shitty computers and then try to blame the software for their issues. Would you base your opinions of a product on that person's reviews?

Of course not, but how do I know if a reviewer has a shitty computer?

I don't use Serato because I think it is more stable than analog vinyl - there are many other 'pros' for why I use it which are more important than the'cons' less stability.

So for me to use this it would have to be shown that it is nearly as stable as hardwire connection. I don't see what it does that will have me risk a wireless issue (unless Im at home)
AKIEM 9:36 PM - 4 February, 2018
Quote:

Quote:

It wont be the same, next dj just plugs his soundcard into free channel inputs, he has nothing to unplug.

Like I said about the same as a Serato box change over. The control signal still has to reach Serato - that would be through the rca... and the optimal box position...

Quote:

Quote:
- added latency

Is that confirmed? It shouldn't add.

How can it not add latency? A wireless signal converted into a control signal and sent out analog is going to add latency however well its done.

Quote:
Quote:

Not bigger than the carts box.

- another box to keep track of can be lost/stolen/forgoten
- more cables to set up, time/issues
- remember to keep charged
kip 1:24 AM - 5 February, 2018
Quote:
Like I said about the same as a Serato box change over. The control signal still has to reach Serato - that would be through the rca... and the optimal box position...

With CV: tt's > box > mixer. The next dj should unplug the tts from box 1 and plug them in his own Serato box 2.
With Phase: only box > mixer, no tt's unplug - replug.
Mr. Goodkat 4:48 AM - 5 February, 2018
im sure it will be as corny as air horns at some point, but for the first few years the pick up the record off the deck and scratch in the air is gonna be a fun, especially when done for extremely drunk ppl
Gio Alex 1:34 PM - 5 February, 2018
Quote:
im sure it will be as corny as air horns at some point, but for the first few years the pick up the record off the deck and scratch in the air is gonna be a fun, especially when done for extremely drunk ppl

I give it like a year. lol

I remember buying a pair of dicers and used them once. Mostly just used the X1, and even that I stopped using, as well as the serato app. Basically just used everything available on the 57. I dunno, nothing more annoying to me than extra shit I have to plug in and carry. Your whole set up just ends up being like a battle station.
fvckJuly 1:46 PM - 5 February, 2018
I don't get all the hype around the twelve, everyone's talking about it like it's the new big thing, when in fact, controllers/players with motorized platters are nothing new at all (Denon SC-series, Numark NS7, Numark CDX/HDX, even the Technics units). I recently bought a used HDX for next to nothing and it feels amazing (other than the rather cheap plastic chassis), great motor and all, I even feel like it might be a little more accurate than my DVS-setup. and these things have been around for more than a decade (all be it, they have been discontinued just a few years later) and can be had for very cheap.
Gio Alex 2:15 PM - 5 February, 2018
Quote:
I don't get all the hype around the twelve, everyone's talking about it like it's the new big thing, when in fact, controllers/players with motorized platters are nothing new at all (Denon SC-series, Numark NS7, Numark CDX/HDX, even the Technics units). I recently bought a used HDX for next to nothing and it feels amazing (other than the rather cheap plastic chassis), great motor and all, I even feel like it might be a little more accurate than my DVS-setup. and these things have been around for more than a decade (all be it, they have been discontinued just a few years later) and can be had for very cheap.

I'd be all about it they were the size of a V7 for portability. But 12" platter and weighs almost as a pair of techs don't really help in the portability/weight department for me as far as mobile gigs go.
lvmez 2:23 PM - 5 February, 2018
The hype is there because it’s made by Rane. They are a proven company. It’s not for everyone and most are complaining because they can’t afford it. It will be most hip-hop clubs within 2 years. Easy set up and reliable.
fvckJuly 2:25 PM - 5 February, 2018
Quote:
I'd be all about it they were the size of a V7 for portability. But 12" platter and weighs almost as a pair of techs don't really help in the portability/weight department for me as far as mobile gigs go.

I don't see how you would cram a 12" platter onto the body of a V7 lol. but I have to agree, especially the HDX' are like 25 pounds each, and the twelves do look (and probably feel) a lot more refined, clean and "professional".

but let's face it, DVS wasn't a particularly good design to begin with. like, why would you waste all this money on a perfectly designed tonearm, cartridge, styli and so on, when all you do is track noise? you still have to put up with wear and tear of the records and the styli, when sonically, you can't even tell. the idea was certainly there and I feel like we're getting closer to a pretty good hybrid setup (Phase), but there's still room for improvement. it's like we try so hard to stay true to our roots and not to get a controller that we end up messing with our gear so heavily that we might as well just get a controller, a DVS setup in my eyes is no more vinyl than a NS7 (where you're in fact touching 7" vinyl disks spinning at 45 rpm).
AKIEM 2:34 PM - 5 February, 2018
The hype is that its a 12" plater - as requested. And that it should feel very close to if not exactly like a tech. And yes, built by Rane (apparantly)
AKIEM 2:40 PM - 5 February, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

With CV: tt's > box > mixer. The next dj should unplug the tts from box 1 and plug them in his own Serato box 2.

Right, i should have been clear. When using a Serato enabled mixer, it would be like the Serato box switchover. In fact its like having a Serato box which is funny if you bought a Serato mixer to not deal with the box - you have one again.
fvckJuly 2:42 PM - 5 February, 2018
Quote:
The hype is that its a 12" plater - as requested. And that it should feel very close to if not exactly like a tech. And yes, built by Rane (apparantly)

what about the CDX/HDX tho? 12" platter, same great motor as the TTX, built in player (I honestly don't get why the Rane is just a controller, why would you WANT to use your laptop if you want a vinyl-like experience?) and some other, mostly turntablist-specific, goodies. I mean I get it, it's made by Numark, it looks cheap and dated, but still, the Twelve is nothing new and exciting to me.

why would you want all these compromises anyway?
popnwave 4:37 PM - 5 February, 2018
They look like tanks and not as silly as the Numark decks, that's why people are excited. Yeah the Numarks have been around but they look butt ass ugly and the Rane aesthetic trumps them in every way.

It's a better mouse trap (hopefully).
Gio Alex 5:53 PM - 5 February, 2018
Quote:
I don't see how you would cram a 12" platter onto the body of a V7 lol. but I have to agree, especially the HDX' are like 25 pounds each, and the twelves do look (and probably feel) a lot more refined, clean and "professional".

I never said anything about wanting to be a 12" platter. I actually meant make it the same platter size of a V7. Or a 10inch, worse case scenario.
dj_spark 8:27 PM - 5 February, 2018
A 10" can be put on the V7 but you'll lose some controls.
The Numark CDX/HDX are still runinng fine, I only had to change the laser tray of my CDX for 20$.
Here are some of my babies : www.instagram.com
dj_soo 8:29 PM - 5 February, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Right, i should have been clear. When using a Serato enabled mixer, it would be like the Serato box switchover. In fact its like having a Serato box which is funny if you bought a Serato mixer to not deal with the box - you have one again.

there's no switchover for the Phase - all it does is provide a tone. Only thing you'd switchover is the mixer - which most pro-level installed serato mixers will have 2 USBs anyway.
AKIEM 10:27 PM - 5 February, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

there's no switchover for the Phase - all it does is provide a tone. Only thing you'd switchover is the mixer - which most pro-level installed serato mixers will have 2 USBs anyway.

The tone travels through rca to the mixer, no?

If you are sharing the same 62 for example, and both DJs use Phase (since everyone will be using it) then you will have to unplug one, and plug in the other. Same as a Serato box.
AKIEM 10:28 PM - 5 February, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

what about the CDX/HDX tho? 12" platter, same great motor as the TTX, built in player (I honestly don't get why the Rane is just a controller, why would you WANT to use your laptop if you want a vinyl-like experience?) and some other, mostly turntablist-specific, goodies. I mean I get it, it's made by Numark, it looks cheap and dated, but still, the Twelve is nothing new and exciting to me.

why would you want all these compromises anyway?

What compromises are those?
dj_soo 10:28 PM - 5 February, 2018
you don't have to unplug rca's when using the 62. you just switch over the channels in the mixer.
dj_soo 10:30 PM - 5 February, 2018
All the phase does is replace the timecode tone - so instead of vinyl and the turntables plugged into mixer, it's the box plugged into the mixer. It would be no different than a pair of DJs sharing a set of turntables plugged into a 62 and you've never had to unplug anything when switching over DJs.
AKIEM 10:33 PM - 5 February, 2018
How about a DJM S9. Doesn't the Phase have to be plugged into the the CD/Line input?
dj_soo 10:35 PM - 5 February, 2018
would be the case with any mixer - it's just sending a timecode to the mixer. There's no interaction between your laptop and the phase box. All it is, is a complicated replacement for the control vinyl - the DJ software and hardware should function the exact same way as if it were reading control vinyl.
AKIEM 10:40 PM - 5 February, 2018
I understand how it works. On the same mixer each DJ will be using the same rce Line inputs. When its time to switch one box will be unplugged then the other plugged in per channel.

Are you thinking I said there would be dead sound?
dj_soo 10:41 PM - 5 February, 2018
If the Phase transmitted midi signals direct to serato, then yea, you'd need to plug it in via usb and changeovers would require swapping out the box (although it should be as easy as unplugging it from one computer into the other), but then it wouldn't require any RCA cables and would be more akin to using CDJs in HID more or the Twelves.

As is, the current version feels more like an easy way to get the most compatibility with software and gear without any complicated licensing or partnerships.

It's not even outputting the official Serato tone - it's using a reverse-engineered clone of the signal - much like the old Denon 3700/3900 CDJs do
dj_soo 10:44 PM - 5 February, 2018
I suppose if everyone wanted to use their own boxes, then sure you'd have to switch them out. Then it would be like if everyone wanted to use their own SL boxes over the course of the night.

For $200-$300 tho, I could see most clubs just getting their own if the demand is there.
AKIEM 10:50 PM - 5 February, 2018
Quote:
If the Phase transmitted midi signals direct to serato, then yea, you'd need to plug it in via usb and changeovers would require swapping out the box (although it should be as easy as unplugging it from one computer into the other), but then it wouldn't require any RCA cables and would be more akin to using CDJs in HID more or the Twelves.

As is, the current version feels more like an easy way to get the most compatibility with software and gear without any complicated licensing or partnerships.

It's not even outputting the official Serato tone - it's using a reverse-engineered clone of the signal - much like the old Denon 3700/3900 CDJs do

correct.

So when you get on after the previous DJ, you will unplug his Phase box going into RCA Line In and plug yours into the same channel.

or no?
AKIEM 10:51 PM - 5 February, 2018
Quote:
I suppose if everyone wanted to use their own boxes, then sure you'd have to switch them out. Then it would be like if everyone wanted to use their own SL boxes over the course of the night.

For $200-$300 tho, I could see most clubs just getting their own if the demand is there.

DUDE! Thats exactly what I have been saying the whole time. wtf?
lmao
AKIEM 10:54 PM - 5 February, 2018
As matter of fact, won't each box be coded to its particular signal sender things?

If not, thats another pretty big problem if two DJs are using Phaser.

Ad that to the cons list.
dj_soo 10:58 PM - 5 February, 2018
Yea, I guess I'm just used to hanging out when I'm playing and tag teaming.

i'm assuming you'd need to pair them much like most bluetooth devices.
dj_soo 11:03 PM - 5 February, 2018
one thing you could do is plug the TTs into the phono input and play off a time code while switching over (or even just play in internal). It's not ideal, but it's less complicated than trying to switch out Serato boxes as you don't have to flip any audio sources. Just run a tune and do the switchover while the tune still plays.
AKIEM 11:10 PM - 5 February, 2018
Quote:
one thing you could do is plug the TTs into the phono input and play off a time code while switching over (or even just play in internal). It's not ideal, but it's less complicated than trying to switch out Serato boxes as you don't have to flip any audio sources. Just run a tune and do the switchover while the tune still plays.

Its less complicated, but its a similar to switching SL1 boxes.

Does anyone know if the transmitters are coded to each box or are they just coded 'left' 'right'?

If they are only coded L/R then there is a huge change over issue.

If its just L/R............ LMAO
dj_soo 11:18 PM - 5 February, 2018
it's wouldn't really tho - you'd just flip to internal and unplug one box and plug in the other.

It's not like you'd have to unplug one side, plug in the other box, make a mix and do it again like you had to with the old SL boxes.

Even if it wasn't exclusively coded, it would be as simple as flipping to internal and turning off the box in use, although if it wasn't I could see some jokesters bringing their transmitters to gigs and fucking with the DJ. I think there were times people would bring Apple Remotes to shows and fuck with people's laptops - I believe someone did it to steve aoki once...

I suppose that's partially why the range is so small...
AKIEM 11:29 PM - 5 February, 2018
Quote:
it's wouldn't really tho - you'd just flip to internal and unplug one box and plug in the other.

It's not like you'd have to unplug one side, plug in the other box, make a mix and do it again like you had to with the old SL boxes.

Even if it wasn't exclusively coded, it would be as simple as flipping to internal and turning off the box in use, although if it wasn't I could see some jokesters bringing their transmitters to gigs and fucking with the DJ. I think there were times people would bring Apple Remotes to shows and fuck with people's laptops - I believe someone did it to steve aoki once...

I suppose that's partially why the range is so small...

Yeah, I didn't say it was exactly the same switch over precess. Its like. As in similar.

I was going to mention the apple remote.

....but man, if you want to sabotage.... how close would you have to get with a couple live ones in your pocket? And if you were really mad at the DJ, could you mod the transmitters with an antenna? probably.
(lol - thats going to be great)
dj_soo 11:35 PM - 5 February, 2018
it's way easier then switching boxes tho - only slightly more complicated than changing needles because you're never in much danger of stopping the music due to being able to run in internal mode.

At NAMM, I read a report where if the box wasn't placed directly behind the mixer in the center and was say next to one of the turntables - even on the side closest to the mixer - the other side wouldn't pick up. The team said they were going to work on increasing the range a bit, but I have no doubt the short range is by design in order to minimize chances of interference.
kip 11:59 PM - 5 February, 2018
The dj switch over IS like switching serato boxes ONLY with 2ch mixers that have only one line level input per channel, like S9. But as pointed above you have the tonearm available on that same channel.
AKIEM 12:01 AM - 6 February, 2018
Quote:
it's way easier then switching boxes tho - only slightly more complicated than changing needles because you're never in much danger of stopping the music due to being able to run in internal mode.

Yes, its easier (until we take into the consideration of 2 receivers and 4 transmitters being on in the same space)

And right, I didn't say anything about the music having to be stopped, obviously it doesn't, and never did.

But its like switching SL boxes. as in similar.

Its funny because they designed mixers to get rid of the box - but heres a similar box being added.

I put that in the 'con' column

Quote:

At NAMM, I read a report where if the box wasn't placed directly behind the mixer in the center and was say next to one of the turntables - even on the side closest to the mixer - the other side wouldn't pick up. The team said they were going to work on increasing the range a bit, but I have no doubt the short range is by design in order to minimize chances of interference.

Sure, and thats part of the change over, there will be an optimal position for the box.

Either way, its more hassle. And when several DJs use it potential for disaster.

'con'
AKIEM 12:02 AM - 6 February, 2018
Quote:
The dj switch over IS like switching serato boxes ONLY with 2ch mixers that have only one line level input per channel, like S9. But as pointed above you have the tonearm available on that same channel.

exactly, don't forget your carts for the switch over. lol
dj_soo 12:02 AM - 6 February, 2018
it isn't anywhere near as annoying or complicated if you have a 2 usb mixer.

DJ 1 - plays last track, flips to internal, unplugs box

DJ2 - plugs in box, gets connected, flips mixer to his laptop and makes a mix, flips other side to his laptop and flips back to relative.

It would be a lot like changing needles but instead of the needles, you just swap out the boxes plugged into the mixer.
kip 12:05 AM - 6 February, 2018
Quote:
exactly, don't forget your carts for the switch over. lol

Well if you insist there are small boxes that convert the phono in to line in lol.
kip 12:11 AM - 6 February, 2018
Quote:

That SLDZ1200 makes me wonder...How would the Phase transmitter behave if attached to it meaning not on the spindle (doesn't have one) but on the "song surface" of the control platter, radially?
dj_soo 12:13 AM - 6 February, 2018
Changing serato boxes mid gig requires fucking around with wires and swapping each side out one at a time if yo don't want the music to stop.

This is more akin to swapping out your needles, records, and slipmats when changing over - only the difference is you have to unplug one box and plug the other in while music is still playing in internal.

There's no danger of accidentally unplugging the wrong side and killing the music like you would trying to swap serato boxes around.

The only similarity is that it's a box and it uses RCA's. All the pain in swapping serato boxes comes from the risk of accidentally stopping the music.
AKIEM 12:16 AM - 6 February, 2018
Quote:
Changing serato boxes mid gig requires fucking around with wires and swapping each side out one at a time if yo don't want the music to stop.

This is more akin to swapping out your needles, records, and slipmats when changing over - only the difference is you have to unplug one box and plug the other in while music is still playing in internal.

There's no danger of accidentally unplugging the wrong side and killing the music like you would trying to swap serato boxes around.

The only similarity is that it's a box and it uses RCA's. All the pain in swapping serato boxes comes from the risk of accidentally stopping the music.

ok, I call that added complication - to whatever degree you want to measure it.
dj_soo 12:23 AM - 6 February, 2018
It's one more step and a low risk one, so I don't really see it as a big deal unless these things have issues with pairing - but if that's the case I woukdnt be getting them in the first place.

Calling it a "con" is a bit of an overstatement to me.
AKIEM 12:30 AM - 6 February, 2018
Quote:
It's one more step and a low risk one, so I don't really see it as a big deal unless these things have issues with pairing - but if that's the case I woukdnt be getting them in the first place.

Calling it a "con" is a bit of an overstatement to me.

Maybe for you, not for me.

Every extra item needing to be plugged/unplugged is a 'con' to me whatever the system.
fvckJuly 7:28 AM - 6 February, 2018
Quote:

offtopic, but how do you like the DZ1200? seems like a lot of people have mixed opinions on these.
dj_spark 9:06 AM - 6 February, 2018
Quote:
That SLDZ1200 makes me wonder...How would the Phase transmitter behave if attached to it meaning not on the spindle (doesn't have one) but on the "song surface" of the control platter, radially?

You would have a hard time trying not to hit the transmitter.
I also think that the added weight would kill the startup motion.

Quote:
offtopic, but how do you like the DZ1200? seems like a lot of people have mixed opinions on these.

It's fun, like an old car without esp/abs and steering assist. You need to know how to move your hands, so it is a very good school for smoothness.
On the other side, I've tried the mk2 mod and didn't like it at all (too much drag) so I revert it back to factory state (adding a few tweaks) and I like it now.

The fact is that it was a dead unit that I bought and bring back to life, so may be something is wrong with mine but it doesnt like weight at all. In my case the weight of a real 10" with the mk2 mod was too much (tried a lot of them).

It is a nice unit for collection as a piece of history but I will never go out with it, even the CDX sometimes have issue to initialize the timecode cd after transportation, so I prefer my Numark V7 when playing out.
deezlee 9:58 AM - 6 February, 2018
Phase thing will work well as a club install if it has some sort of timecode switching feature like a button to scroll through all current timecodes.
dj_soo 10:03 AM - 6 February, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

you would think it would be optimized to detect the rotations with the centre spindle through the hole.
dj_soo 10:04 AM - 6 February, 2018
should grab yourself some Denon SC3900s to add to the collection of spinning platter CDJs.
fvckJuly 10:11 AM - 6 February, 2018
all of this motorized platter talk really makes me wanna get an NS7/a pair of V7s lol
dj_spark 1:17 PM - 6 February, 2018
Quote:
should grab yourself some Denon SC3900s to add to the collection of spinning platter CDJs.

Exactly Sir ! On my list, just need to find a good deal in my area.
Also a Stanton SCS1D would be a nice addition there too. ;)
Gio Alex 2:40 PM - 6 February, 2018
Quote:
all of this motorized platter talk really makes me wanna get an NS7/a pair of V7s lol

Bruh, makes me want to get a pair V7s really bad actually. I was just thinking that. Def not NS7, thing is a massive heavy tank.
Gio Alex 2:41 PM - 6 February, 2018
Quote:

Were there any complaints about these?
fvckJuly 3:39 PM - 6 February, 2018
Quote:
Def not NS7, thing is a massive heavy tank.

true that. especially when there's the Numark X5

Vestax should've made a motorized platter digital player, imagine a PDX3000 without the tonearm, what a beast!
dj_spark 4:45 PM - 6 February, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

Drift and internal mode after some times. This is mainly because the noisemap from the DSP isn't the real one from Serato (some rights stuff there), so it doesn't work exactly like the Serato one, it's more like an emulation.
Gio Alex 4:54 PM - 6 February, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Drift and internal mode after some times. This is mainly because the noisemap from the DSP isn't the real one from Serato (some rights stuff there), so it doesn't work exactly like the Serato one, it's more like an emulation.

But that's hybrid mode right? If you used a tone signal on a thumb drive it was fine, correct?
AKIEM 5:02 PM - 6 February, 2018
lol @ all the Phase cons turned this thread to the 'there ain't shit new about the TWELVE' thread.
Gio Alex 5:05 PM - 6 February, 2018
Quote:
lol @ all the Phase cons turned this thread to the 'there ain't shit new about the TWELVE' thread.

LOL

mofos need to just get back to the music and djing. lol

All these fly by night gadgets come and go. Meanwhile all my original equipment still works and serves a purpose. I'm just sayin.
AKIEM 5:09 PM - 6 February, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

LOL

mofos need to just get back to the music and djing. lol

All these fly by night gadgets come and go. Meanwhile all my original equipment still works and serves a purpose. I'm just sayin.

Truth. My 1200s still in regular use like everyone else's. Even a TWELVE won't retire them.
dj_spark 5:39 PM - 6 February, 2018
Quote:
But that's hybrid mode right? If you used a tone signal on a thumb drive it was fine, correct?

Honestly I don't know, it would be a waste imo to not use all these midi buttons, so hybrid is the only way for me.
popnwave 6:05 PM - 6 February, 2018
Don't forget as cool as the Phase is, is there even a street date being talked about yet? For all the hype this is a prototype and who knows if it will ever make it to market, a lot of things can happen.
deezlee 6:36 PM - 6 February, 2018
It seems like someone will license/copy the tech and build it straight into the turntable and/or the mixer.
The integrated into a record idea is cool too.
dj_soo 6:44 PM - 6 February, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

I have a pair and use them with my 62 for most of my mobile gigs. As standalone, it's nothing I would ever trust, but as a serato controller, it's pretty good although there can be some sticker drift. The button layout isn't great and the buttons can wear pretty quickly as well, but the platter feels great.

HID would have been amazing, but hybrid mode works well enough for me.
Gio Alex 6:48 PM - 6 February, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I have a pair and use them with my 62 for most of my mobile gigs. As standalone, it's nothing I would ever trust, but as a serato controller, it's pretty good although there can be some sticker drift. The button layout isn't great and the buttons can wear pretty quickly as well, but the platter feels great.

Are there any pros/cons btwm the 3700 and 3900 model?
dj_soo 6:50 PM - 6 February, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I found the sticker drift on mine comes more from the locking spindle getting loose. I'm trying to figure out how to tighten it, but it's buried under a lot of stuff so I've been trying to find a service manual before digging too deep.

Incidentally, the "bootleg" noisemap is something the Phase also uses so the same issues might occur using the phase - it's not like we saw anyone djing with it at namm - people were just scratching all the time.
dj_soo 6:52 PM - 6 February, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Are there any pros/cons btwm the 3700 and 3900 model?

The 3700 have less responsive platters so it made using the edges of the platters to slow down tracks almost unusable and you had to rely on the pitch bend buttons whereas you can drag the edge of the platters on the 3900s. Also, the sticker drift was way worse on the 3700s.
Gio Alex 6:55 PM - 6 February, 2018
Quote:
Incidentally, the "bootleg" noisemap is something the Phase also uses so the same issues might occur using the phase - it's not like we saw anyone djing with it at namm - people were just scratching all the time.

Interesting.
Gio Alex 6:56 PM - 6 February, 2018
Quote:
The 3700 have less responsive platters so it made using the edges of the platters to slow down tracks almost unusable and you had to rely on the pitch bend buttons whereas you can drag the edge of the platters on the 3900s. Also, the sticker drift was way worse on the 3700s.

Thanks for the info.
AKIEM 8:46 PM - 6 February, 2018
Quote:
It seems like someone will license/copy the tech and build it straight into the turntable and/or the mixer.
The integrated into a record idea is cool too.

seems like they could get that thin, probably more expensive.

built into mixer, guess with an enteina in the back

but built into a TT?
so you don't have to plug it in??
DJ Matty Stiles 10:55 PM - 6 February, 2018
I have a pair of perfectly good technics 1200s, as do many of you. Regardless of phase, why would the 12 be an upgrade? I can live without the cue points I have them on my mixer and SP1. I even have dicers. And a tone arm is not a burden.

I would use the phase at home just to save record and needle wear. In the club I would say it would be quicker to set up a needle and record.
Gio Alex 1:34 AM - 7 February, 2018
Quote:
I have a pair of perfectly good technics 1200s, as do many of you. Regardless of phase, why would the 12 be an upgrade? I can live without the cue points I have them on my mixer and SP1. I even have dicers. And a tone arm is not a burden.

+1
Basically all of this. Especially the tone arm burden part.
popnwave 3:38 AM - 7 February, 2018
Do not want to haul my TTs anymore. No matter what you say, not worrying about arms, carts, needles, and environmental variables in bars and clubs, it is just less stuff to worry about while keeping most of the tactile feel.
AKIEM 3:49 AM - 7 February, 2018
And you don't have to buy them...

some people will appreciate the improvements even if they are 'minnimal'.

no one said they are reinventing the game, quite the opposite.
DJ Matty Stiles 4:44 AM - 7 February, 2018
I’ve always considered the environmental elements as just part of the game. But if it’s a continual problem for you, like if you play on boats and wobbly stages often then I can see how it can benefit. CDJS used to be a solution but this would give a familiarity to those used to vinyl.

Weight is never a problem for me as I’m not a mobile DJ. If it’s lighter then that would be a plus

Strip search looks alright

Still no reason for me to change though. If it works for others then all the better for them
AKIEM 4:51 AM - 7 February, 2018
Quote:
I’ve always considered the environmental elements as just part of the game. But if it’s a continual problem for you, like if you play on boats and wobbly stages often then I can see how it can benefit. CDJS used to be a solution but this would give a familiarity to those used to vinyl.

Weight is never a problem for me as I’m not a mobile DJ. If it’s lighter then that would be a plus

Strip search looks alright

Still no reason for me to change though. If it works for others then all the better for them

right - that's why I can't understand why there is so much hate directed toward them...
dj_soo 7:13 AM - 7 February, 2018
Twelves are everything I've wanted. No more bad tonearms, leads, feedback, or vibrations. No more purchasing stylii (that seem to get more and more expensive) or control vinyl.

That said, I probably won't get them because I already have Denon 3900s and the Phase will make up for club/festival gigs. If a venue happens to have the Twelves installed - that's just a bonus.
DaltonSR20 6:08 PM - 7 February, 2018
Quote:

You would have a hard time trying not to hit the transmitter.
I also think that the added weight would kill the startup motion.

On the other side, I've tried the mk2 mod and didn't like it at all (too much drag) so I revert it back to factory state (adding a few tweaks) and I like it now.

The fact is that it was a dead unit that I bought and bring back to life, so may be something is wrong with mine but it doesnt like weight at all. In my case the weight of a real 10" with the mk2 mod was too much (tried a lot of them).

I've always wondered if the MK2 mod ever addressed the drag. I also thought the mod was just too damn expensive for just a spindle so I never went through with the mod.

Phase on a perfectly working condition DZ1200 would be adding more unnecessary parts to the chain. The DZ reads the timecode via CD's or SD card perfectly fine and platter rotation would be better off without more weight (phase unit).

sooooo you wanna sell me these mk2 spindles really cheap? lol
dj_spark 10:08 PM - 7 February, 2018
I was in touch with a guy that was looking at enhancing the circuit board and the motor on the SLDZ to have better startup but I don't know where he is into his development.
AKIEM 10:12 PM - 7 February, 2018
thought running sound from the solved the issues
AKIEM 10:23 PM - 7 February, 2018
>the memory<
Ollieboy 2:49 AM - 8 February, 2018
So if 2 DJs bring their own Phase vinyl is it possible for one Djs vinyl to interfer with the others when they're switching over. I mean I can literally take my own vinyl out and start "air scratching" just to fck around with the other DJ's mix! 😂 Lol
Gio Alex 3:09 AM - 8 February, 2018
Quote:
So if 2 DJs bring their own Phase vinyl is it possible for one Djs vinyl to interfer with the others when they're switching over. I mean I can literally take my own vinyl out and start "air scratching" just to fck around with the other DJ's mix! 😂 Lol

hahaha
fvckJuly 7:25 AM - 8 February, 2018
Quote:

pretty sure you'd need to be paired with the base station for that to work lol
popnwave 4:53 PM - 8 February, 2018
LOL
DJ Reflex 12:16 AM - 9 February, 2018
Where there's a will... there's a hack!
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 5:12 AM - 27 February, 2018
They're cute. Great for those boat rides.

Otherwise novelty....No needle drop....Drop to cue, nothing.

Cute tho.
Gio Alex 4:03 PM - 27 February, 2018
lol