DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

NAMM 2018

lvmez 12:42 AM - 25 January, 2018
Who will be there? Most important, who can give updates with pics?
Illiment 3:35 AM - 25 January, 2018
rane just had a live stream of dj's getting down on the 12's + 72. Damn I cannot WAIT to cop.
popnwave 4:42 PM - 25 January, 2018
Rane, Serato, AGIPRODJ are all posting videos from it.
popnwave 4:42 PM - 25 January, 2018
On Instagram that is!
DjWoody 6:29 PM - 25 January, 2018
New upgraded Ortofon cartridges with replaceable lifters (handles)! About time.

djworx.com
HK1200 6:34 PM - 25 January, 2018
Glad to see they addressed that, but I don't understand how people break them to begin with. I've got concordes that are probably older than some of the new jacks playing out these days.

Slammin in tracks shouldn't involve a sledgehammer.
djcrap 7:06 PM - 25 January, 2018
Roland just announced 1.1 firmware update for Roland dj 808 and Dj 202,505

Will be available on Jan 30th

www.rolandus.com

So excited
GusGomez 8:31 PM - 25 January, 2018
Did ya see this from Phase DJ? instagram.com
HK1200 8:33 PM - 25 January, 2018
Quote:

That shit is straight up fucking brilliant!
GusGomez 8:37 PM - 25 January, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

That shit is straight up fucking brilliant!

yup this might put a big dent in the Rane TWELVE if Rane don't hurry up and release it.
lvmez 9:22 PM - 25 January, 2018
That is an incredible idea. I wonder what the price will be.
GusGomez 9:25 PM - 25 January, 2018
Quote:
That is an incredible idea. I wonder what the price will be.

I heard em say that’s the prototype but I could imagine if/when it comes to market it’ll prob be around $300 I would think around that range
DJ Matty Stiles 9:31 PM - 25 January, 2018
RE: Ortofons

Correct me if I’m wrong but none of these cartridges seem to have a higher output than what’s already available on the market (the Qs and the Seratos come to mind)

The replaceable arm is cool. But it looks as though this update is purely aesthetic

I guess you can’t reinvent the wheel
deejayfatcat 9:53 PM - 25 January, 2018
That phase dj thing is siiiiiiiiick. Hope have some gesture of something for needle dropping
popnwave 10:45 PM - 25 January, 2018
Whooooa on that Phase adapter.. no more bad scopes? Can use your current TTs? Gonna be some fans if it works right.
djcrap 2:54 AM - 26 January, 2018
Rane twelve mini review at namm 2018

Watchm.youtube.com
djcrap 2:56 AM - 26 January, 2018
Quote:
Rane twelve mini review at namm 2018

Watchm.youtube.com

Correct link

Watchm.youtube.com
DylanVE 7:56 AM - 26 January, 2018
Is that it? Literally no new official Serato compatible hardware this year? (apart from the 72 and the Twelve, which we already knew about)
popnwave 3:35 PM - 26 January, 2018
Quote:
Is that it? Literally no new official Serato compatible hardware this year? (apart from the 72 and the Twelve, which we already knew about)

What was there last year?

Only thing Pioneer is really pushing is their RB controller and the DMX addon.

I think the TWELVES and Phase stuff is super exciting.
djcrap 8:29 PM - 26 January, 2018
Another full review of the rane 72 at namm hands on

Watchm.youtube.com
popnwave 9:01 PM - 26 January, 2018
I love the build x1000.
Mr. Goodkat 9:11 PM - 26 January, 2018
i do like the transport mode of the 72. pioneer will never do that
dj_soo 1:09 AM - 27 January, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

There was a few mixers and controllers from Mixars, Reloop and Gemini last year. The fact that Mixars wasn't even at NAMM despite the Quatro supposedly hitting shops this years lends credence to the rumor that Mixars might be done for good. Sucks because I was really looking forward to the Primo.

Gemini had their budget standalone controller.
DJ Irv 4:21 AM - 27 January, 2018
Quote:
Gemini had their budget standalone controller

if Gemini re-released the 2200 (Jazzy Jeff) mixer with updated features it would fly off of the shelves.
Rebelguy 5:28 AM - 27 January, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

There was a few mixers and controllers from Mixars, Reloop and Gemini last year. The fact that Mixars wasn't even at NAMM despite the Quatro supposedly hitting shops this years lends credence to the rumor that Mixars might be done for good. Sucks because I was really looking forward to the Primo.

Gemini had their budget standalone controller.

It could also be the fact that it is pretty expensive to have a booth at NAMM. There are quite a few manufacturers that decided to pull out this year as it’s debatable if the show is worth it to participate in. Gibson guitars is one of the biggest guitar manufacturers and they decided to skip NAMM this year as well.
dj_soo 5:45 AM - 27 January, 2018
seems like a lot of companies are opting out of NAMM or not bothering with booths and just announcing gear around NAMM time knowing the media will pick it up. Does Pioneer even have a booth at NAMM?
popnwave 3:22 PM - 27 January, 2018
Quote:
seems like a lot of companies are opting out of NAMM or not bothering with booths and just announcing gear around NAMM time knowing the media will pick it up. Does Pioneer even have a booth at NAMM?

They had an area, dominated by speakers it looked like to me :D
blackavenger 3:40 AM - 28 January, 2018
I was hoping RME would give us a Thunderbolt UCX....but all we got was an AD/DA converter (ADI-2), oh well!!!

Yeah, this year's NAMM was pretty underwhelming.
Sure, the Phase, DDJ-1000 and seeing the (InMusic)Rane 72/12 stuff in action was pretty cool, but not much else to get excited about. A&H keep pushing the PX5....can't blame them. I think their road map going forward depends on it's success....regardless of how long it takes to make that happen, apparently, lol. BTW, I have a PX5 and I LOVE it!!

I foresee NAMM (and all other trade shows) fading away sooner rather than later.
Djkom 9:59 AM - 28 January, 2018
Denon Dj announced on Facebook that 2018 will be a record breaking year for the company...
But nothing except this timecode thing (useless and very expensive for 95% djs) came out...😒

Also still nothing from Serato DJ 2.0 aka DJ PRO..

Nothing from Numark...

The whole inMusic/Serato communication and product launch is definitely weak !
Then you realize how powerful is Pioneer !!!
- DDJ 1000 announcement, direct availability
- Rekordbox lyric (more interesting than the simple music video plugin IMO), direct availability
- RB DMX1 with Rekordbox 5.2, available next month
A single company is literally destroying Denon DJ/Numark/Serato/SoundSwitch !!
inMusic cannot continue like that, they need to build a strong ecosystem too if they want to compete Pioneer...
Robbie O 1:56 PM - 28 January, 2018
If you're playing chess and not checkers, it seems like Serato with its current design/approach is in trouble. They will either have to focus on the production route or partner with a hardware company. I have a feeling Pioneer could crush the game with a new RB S9 with the ability to use it offline with a USB
Djkom 3:05 PM - 28 January, 2018
Quote:
I have a feeling Pioneer could crush the game with a new RB S9 with the ability to use it offline with a USB

THIS IS IT !!! The "weakest" area of Pioneer is turntablism...give us a powerful mixer (they have the technology to do so: djm 2000, 909, S9) and a digital turntable (a kind of sc3900 with cdj2000nxs2 features) and it will be GAME OVER for Serato/inMusic !!!
popnwave 4:48 PM - 28 January, 2018
People have been saying this for the past 10 years.

If PIO is so great, they sure haven't put the nails in any coffins over a decade. Sorry guys, but I think your market predictions are way off.
Djkom 9:10 PM - 28 January, 2018
Quote:

If PIO is so great, they sure haven't put the nails in any coffins over a decade. Sorry guys, but I think your market predictions are way off.

- Vestax has gone, bankruptcy...
- Denon DJ was about to fail also before inMusic acquisition.
- Rane was in the same situation
- Serato has lost a part of his soul since Sam has left the company. Everything seems archaic and very very slow...

With the DJM S9 and PLX 1000, Pioneer has finally gained the turntablism scene.
They cover now ALL types of dj needs with a serious (if not best) offering !

You cannot deny they dominate the game so far...and the future looks even brighter for them... less for inMusic/Serato
Mr. Goodkat 9:12 PM - 28 January, 2018
Quote:

well the defacto mixer pretty much every where in the world is Pioneer.

Pioneer has the largest market share and is the most trusted name in dj equipment

pioneer owns the cdj market

seems like nails to me
Mr. Goodkat 9:14 PM - 28 January, 2018
im not a huge Pioneer fan(not mad, but im not saying i think its better than other dj products and prefer rane sound) either but its pretty obvious
dj_soo 9:57 PM - 28 January, 2018
Pioneer also has the ability to just bundle rekordbox Dj with all their gear at a loss just to try to lure more people to their product while serato will always need their cut.

Nothing is more obvious than the price difference between the 250 mkii and the s3. Exact same mixer, but $150 more for the Serato version.

Pioneer makes up for the free software by selling hardware while serato doesn't have that luxury.