DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Behringer

Dan ficehr 9:37 PM - 22 January, 2018
Is Behringer really that bad?
pdidy 10:34 PM - 22 January, 2018
Quote:
Is Behringer really that bad?

Yes, about 99% of Behringer branded gear is complete shit. But Behringer does have a few rare exceptions to their rule like the Behringer X32 Digital Mixer which is Pro level and is seriously a bad azzz mixer. There may be 2 or 3 other good items they make out of hundreds but that's it. People how buy or claim Behringer makes good dj gear are either lying to you, should not be trusted or actually want cheap disposable gear.
DJ Reflex 4:06 AM - 23 January, 2018
^^ Word ^^

Dan ficehr - what particular Behringer product were you interested in? If it's a small 4 channel PA mixer for outdoor weddings and such, fine. I got one and have never had a problem with it in 9 years. If you're looking for speakers - stay clear of Behringer! If you want a DJ mixer - no way! Maybe a low budget crossover, but still - there are better options out there. DMX console is cumbersome and hard to program... You see a pattern here? pdidy is spot on.
dj_soo 4:16 AM - 23 January, 2018
I just picked up an XR12 - which is small, 12 channel mixer that is entirely dependent on using software via laptop or tablet to control. It's supposed to have a lot of the same internals as the X32. Got to try as a replacement for my driverack I just broke as it has a lot of features I would want - EQ, compression, delay, etc.

Honestly, I was impressed with the build and sound quality, but the software-only thing isn't for me and the app wasn't the most user friendly. My ipad is also ancient so it was far too laggy for precise adjustments and the laptop app tended to crash a lot (no biggie, but the mixer maintains whatever changes you made).

I'm going to give it another go for a gig on thursday, but I think I'll be returning it for a PA2 and sticking with my trusty old soundcraft mixer.
pdidy 9:28 AM - 23 January, 2018
Quote:
I just picked up an XR12

That mixer line qualifies as one of the good things Behringer makes as its very popular with small bands and is packed with features......The only bad thing about it is that its ipad only an that would drive me crazy. That was a deal breaker so I went with the qsc touchmix16 and love it.
dj_soo 10:10 AM - 23 January, 2018
both the X Air series and the X32 are relatively new so maybe they're turning a corner?

I think the problem is they still keep making the shitty gear side by side with the few quality pieces they make.

The ipad/laptop only ended up being a dealbreaker for me. Going to return the unit and get a PA2.
pdidy 4:17 PM - 23 January, 2018
Quote:
The ipad/laptop only ended up being a dealbreaker for me. Going to return the unit and get a PA2.

Ironically the ipad feature on the PA2 is what makes it so great and easy to use.
pdidy 4:19 PM - 23 January, 2018
PA2 = DBX Driverack PA2 (for those unfamiliar)
deezlee 6:06 PM - 23 January, 2018
Bheringer's mother company bought another big company in 2015 and the dude at the pro sound spot said that the new mixing boards are way higher quality then in the past.
deejayfatcat 1:19 AM - 24 January, 2018
@pdidy the x12 is iPad and PC. We use an ancient Lenovo in my band rehearsal space as the control surface and it has never crashed to my knowledge. For gigs we use my iPad air2 and it works fantastic.

There’s a guy that sells them on ebay for 179. An amazing piece of gear for the money.
dj_soo 3:32 AM - 24 January, 2018
Yea, MUSIC group also owns Midas and turbosound. Midas was considered one of the better mixer companies out there so they probably took some of their tech for the newer Behringer mixers.
dj_soo 11:45 AM - 24 January, 2018
Diddy, how does the PA2 iphone app compare to the ipad app? Is it the same, only smaller or do you lose out on features using the iphone?
pdidy 12:59 PM - 24 January, 2018
Quote:
Diddy, how does the PA2 iphone app compare to the ipad app? Is it the same, only smaller or do you lose out on features using the iphone?

The same only smaller. But the phone can be too small and difficult to use for some tasks and wont replace a full size ipad.