Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

No Serato Update of any use for over a year now!

Johnny H 10:31 AM - 17 January, 2018
It's clear there have now been any useful updates from serato for over a year now,

No real bug fixes for over a year,

No new features for over a year

Just the odd uninteresting update that supports new hardware for a very small percentage of people,

As there are many issues in serato, that need serious attention, just wondered what the future is for serato, they don't seem bothered with updates anymore unless it's for new hardware

no one seems bothered fixing the countless performance issues in serato

Pioneer seem to be offering more new exciting hardware that they don't want associated with serato.

Just wondered what serato is going to offer us as judging by last year it's nothing! using a version of serato thats is over a year old as there was no point in updating just to support hardware that I don't own, and it has no shortage of performance issues and bug.

serato what are we holding on for, is the wait worth it ??
DJ BD 3:06 PM - 17 January, 2018
It could be the balance of fixing/adding new features in a major release - which I believe is coming up soon?

I am in software as well and I often question the balance of working on a major release and pushing updates along the way. Do you put the resources towards the major release or pull some away and work on bugs / minor features - which delays the major?

Not saying right or wrong, just a reality in software dev. I don't have any insight into their strategic/tactical plans, but am just assuming....

Hoping it is worth it :)
Johnny H 3:51 PM - 17 January, 2018
Do agree with much of what you say,

But really think it's about time that Serato step up to the plate and start respecting their customer base and start proving they can listen and more importantly repair the stability issues and multiple bugs.

To have nothing for over a year and just leave us all dangling is really a very poor show!

I guess lack of communication from serato to their customers and what there plans for the future are is really niggling me.

It's just seem they are getting really left behind, and so are all there user's, hard to believe they use to be the governors in the DJ market 10 or so years ago.

How times are changing!! still I find there silence toward their users arrogant
938MyDJ 4:50 PM - 17 January, 2018
@ Johnny H

I believe you are not a private beta tester.

Something was done on Serato DJ Pro 2 is all I’m saying.
Johnny H 5:10 PM - 17 January, 2018
I never said I was a beta testers, it might be nice if serato asked some of there loyal djs to beta test software for them, but all we get silence

What really bugs me is all this top secret and not knowing what’s going on, what they have planned for the future

Who knows if this so-called New top secret version of serato will be any good

Everything is top secret shooshh
cotdagoo 6:29 PM - 17 January, 2018
I feel like things took a nose dive after Rane and Serato split.

No real innovation or features to speak of.. Just bug fixes, content packs and controller support.. Lots of stuff to sell to end users in lieu of adding features.

Would love to be proved wrong with this Serato DJ Pro stuff.. but I've grown not to expect much from Serato anymore.

Got in on the ground floor with SL1 and Technics 1200s.. taken this trip thus far.. but really been seeing Pioneer cover a lot of ground lately and it's concerning that I'm even looking elsewhere for anything.
DJ Tecniq 7:51 PM - 17 January, 2018
Can we just leave Serato Intro in the dust already it’s 2018 just let every user upgrade to SDJ.
Serato, Moderator
James_M 8:34 PM - 17 January, 2018
We have some exciting stuff coming up very soon! ;)
Maskrider 3:30 AM - 18 January, 2018
Quote:

There you go...
mixgoonie 7:34 AM - 18 January, 2018
After one year, I think it is the minimum to expect
Dj cuervo 1:44 PM - 18 January, 2018
NAMM is next week so I guess we will see it then.
DJ Marv the Maverick 2:31 PM - 18 January, 2018
Its becoming more difficult for me to continue to ignore Rekordbox DJ as the time passes.

What are peoples thoughts on the 5.1 just released...I like the sound of the video lyrics generator. Lately is find myself downloading more lyric video than actual music videos for club work.

They also launching their soundswitch equivalent...is it imminent they take over Serato's spot?
DJ Marv the Maverick 2:32 PM - 18 January, 2018
Is = I

*Serato edit function on the forum please.
mixgoonie 3:01 PM - 18 January, 2018
No this feature is for next year ;)
938MyDJ 3:16 PM - 18 January, 2018
Quote:
Its becoming more difficult for me to continue to ignore Rekordbox DJ as the time passes.

It won’t hurt to have it... so you can start the preparation for transition gradually.

I bought the XP1 for the FREE license (+DVS).
I am done analyzing my 70k + videos & mp3s.

I’m still using Serato DJ 100%... but like most other DJs, I am also watching the race of the DJ softwares.

😀
Dj cuervo 4:05 PM - 18 January, 2018
Rekordbox DJ is a young Netflix. Serato... Please don't be Blockbuster!! They coming for the top spot. I have faith in yall but some people are worried.
DJ Marv the Maverick 4:16 PM - 18 January, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

It won’t hurt to have it... so you can start the preparation for transition gradually.

I bought the XP1 for the FREE license (+DVS).
I am done analyzing my 70k + videos & mp3s.

I’m still using Serato DJ 100%... but like most other DJs, I am also watching the race of the DJ softwares.

😀

Yeah I just had a quick scan through the hardware section and nothing really jumps at me.
DJ Marv the Maverick 6:58 PM - 18 January, 2018
Just popped into a local store and copped the XP1

I will try and map it to Mix Emergency whilst messing around with Rekordbox.
938MyDJ 7:34 PM - 18 January, 2018
It's a good deal if you don't own the RBDJ+DVS License yet.
It's almost like paying just a little over 100.00 on the unit.

And then you can start messing around with the software.
DJ Marv the Maverick 8:02 PM - 18 January, 2018
Quote:
It's a good deal if you don't own the RBDJ+DVS License yet.
It's almost like paying just a little over 100.00 on the unit.

And then you can start messing around with the software.

Yup that was the maths.
mister_wilson 1:58 AM - 19 January, 2018
i think rekordbox is still firmly in last place for a couple reasons:

-no vinyl DVS yet, or did i miss an announcemnt

-only native in newer Pioneer CDJ/XDJs which are dominant but not the only CDJs in the market. Lack of hot cues on CDJ900 nexus renders them much less useful than CDJ2000. in other words, the barrier to entry is kind of high to go from controller to standard club kit (cdj2000s and DJM900) and its a big leap. the work flow for using the rekordbox with standard club kit is highly different than the work flow for using a rekordbox controller unlike SDJ which doesn't require any knowledge of how to perform loops or cue point on a CDJ to go back and forth from controller environment to club kit environment.

-when using with standard club kit set up there are not enough buttons to be as useful as simple laptop/keyboard (for triggering ALL cue points, effects, loops, samples).

i admit that only needing a thumb drive to show up and put down a set is a great thing, but i feel like the majority of djs doing that today gained proficiency with traditional CDJs and DJM700/800/900 type set ups. The problem is that almost everyone starting out today is either on a controller for cost purposes or on vinyl because the are coming from a purist perspective). I don't see many of those folks making the jump to rekordbox and leaving sDJ behind
DJ Tecniq 6:16 AM - 19 January, 2018
Quote:
i think rekordbox is still firmly in last place for a couple reasons:

-no vinyl DVS yet, or did i miss an announcement
You def missed something DVS for Rekordbox has been out since 2016.
Clubber1970 12:33 PM - 19 January, 2018
DVS for Rekordbox runs smoothly with my Allen&Heath DB2 tohether with my DDJ-SP1.

...but only with the original timecode vinyls from Pioneer. The Serato timecodes are not so resonsive as the original ones.
cotdagoo 7:36 PM - 19 January, 2018
Quote:

bring it ;)
Johnny H 7:46 PM - 19 January, 2018
What?

It won’t be anything related to pioneer hardware as they going it alone, so not sure what all the excitement will be about other than using old dated hardware with a new version of serato ???
popnwave 8:13 PM - 19 January, 2018
Quote:
It won’t be anything related to pioneer hardware as they going it alone, so not sure what all the excitement will be about other than using old dated hardware with a new version of serato ???

Now you're being a chump.

Pioneer has, no matter what you think anecdotally, hardware for both SDJ and RB regularly. You naysayers have been chirping about this for past 5 years and it hasn't happened.

Your posts used to be interesting, now you're turning into a joke.
Johnny H 8:56 PM - 19 January, 2018
yeah maybe, just lost faith with most things these days, every year seems to be a step backwards, more rubbish less quality.

Just had enough of all this crap,
akaTRAP 2:11 AM - 20 January, 2018
Quote:

What are peoples thoughts on the 5.1 just released...I like the sound of the video lyrics generator. Lately is find myself downloading more lyric video than actual music videos for club work.

They also launching their soundswitch equivalent...is it imminent they take over Serato's spot?

The light switch is DOPE AF and is going to be a huge selling point over Serato. I'm glad they implement it. Competition is great for us consumers. The lyric thing is cool but I won't use it since I'm not a VDJ.

Rekordbox 5.1.1 (the latest as of me typing this) is making me want to switch again. I like Serato DJ, and the support for their software is amazing, but Rekordbox is playing hardball right now. They were playing catch up in 2015, spent all 2016 and 2017 catching up (and quickly), and now it seems multi-format DJs have two pieces of software to pick from. If Rekordbox 5.1.1 improves on some of the stability issues 4.2.x had, Serato has some fierce competition on their hands.

Rumor has it a 64-bit version of Serato DJ is in the works. If that's true, Windows users rejoice, and anyone moving a large collection/re-analyzing a large collection will experienced VASTLY decreased analyzing speeds if they're using a quad-core or better.
popnwave 2:22 AM - 20 January, 2018
I am playing around in RB 5.1.1 as I type this. The whole PHRASES thing is pretty cool, but jesus christ almighty, as a video DJ analyzing MP4s in RB is horribly slow and people have complained about it for a long time. I am redoing my library in there because it still does odd things when importing tons of stuff at once, so here I sit doing 500-750 tracks at a time and QCing them after it does its thing.
DJ Marv the Maverick 3:00 AM - 21 January, 2018
So I subscribed for the lyric plug in to see how it handles my tracks. It requires internet connection to pull the lyrics

Most mainstream tracks I threw at it it acquired the lyrics but it failed (as I anticipated) with non mainstream tracks.

I was connected via wifi to my home internet and often times it will shoot up an error saying I don't have internet and will fail to get the lyrics

I was using my MacBook in full screen to see the lyrics overlay on audio and video tracks...the resolution of the displayed lyrics wasn't the best...perhaps it's not optimised for high resolution display..it wasn't sharp. I plan to try it with a t.v. to see what it looks like.

My goodness I haven't been on Rekordbox dj since my trial elapsed about a year or two ago..its really grown, the grid detection is so good. I threw a few random tracks it to analyse and it got all of them right.

The phrase analyses not so much though...wrongly labelled a intro as a verse etc.

I have no plans to switch from using Serato but it will be foolish for anyone not to check out the alternatives out there.
Big Pops 7:51 PM - 21 January, 2018
Quote:

Its about time
DJ Tecniq 8:51 PM - 21 January, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

Its about time
+1 no more SDJ update for more hardware
Big Pops 11:18 PM - 21 January, 2018
wonder how soon is soon
mixgoonie 6:24 AM - 22 January, 2018
3-4 weeks like for Half-life ;)
Dj cuervo 1:41 PM - 22 January, 2018
Lets hope they say something at NAMM!!!!!
DJ Tecniq 3:04 PM - 22 January, 2018
I heard Serato Video is getting an update too. SV 2.0🙌🏼
Dj cuervo 3:44 PM - 22 January, 2018
Quote:

Oh Really!!!!! Performance update would be dope!!!!
popnwave 4:26 PM - 22 January, 2018
Quote:

Does SV even get versions anymore? Last updates have just been under the hood line items with the SDJ release.
lofty 7:45 PM - 23 January, 2018
I actually made the jump to Rekordbox awhile ago.

like any software it's not 100% perfect, but it runs on my 2012 macbook pro better than SDJ ( waveforms are smooth as butter )

I like the pad FX and release FX ( I use an SX2 )
library management and related tracks in RB is AMAZING!

But really - it's not the software you use , it's the music you play and making sure whatever software is rock solid on your system.
Johnny H 9:27 PM - 23 January, 2018
Think I’m ready for a change to RB, held on a long while with numerous issues in serato, but it’s very clear one software house is super charged like the finest jaguar cars
938MyDJ 9:56 PM - 23 January, 2018
!!! WARNING !!!

Rekordbox is working nicely on Performance.
But it RUINED my Second Macbook Pro during the Database transfer from my Main Macbook.

As in totally dead to whitescreen and I have re-do a fresh install.

Library size is 70K of videos & mp3s.
DJ Tecniq 10:41 PM - 23 January, 2018
Bring back Scratchlive...problems over😂
938MyDJ 11:52 PM - 23 January, 2018
Not true... BIG Library size was also a problem with Scratchlive.

And btw I am not whining or saying which one is better. I am just stating the facts which I actually experienced with all these different dj softwares.
DJ Tecniq 1:39 AM - 24 January, 2018
Quote:
Not true... BIG Library size was also a problem with Scratchlive.
Really? Never had that happen and my library is the same as SDJ was sometimes i even analyze my files in SSL cause it’s much quicker.
sunnyred 6:38 PM - 24 January, 2018
i just want serato video to work. lol
Dj cuervo 9:59 PM - 24 January, 2018
Rane 72 and 12 will be demo at Namm tomorrow according to @RANEDJ on IG
blackavenger 10:31 PM - 24 January, 2018
Quote:
I feel like things took a nose dive after Rane and Serato split.

No real innovation or features to speak of.. Just bug fixes, content packs and controller support.. Lots of stuff to sell to end users in lieu of adding features.

No, it's when Sam left. It just hasn't been the same since.
Aptidda 11:04 PM - 24 January, 2018
Quote:

Exactly, AKA throw all that out dated hardware you clowns are using in the garbage where it belongs and save your pennies for the 72 and 12.

Nothing else matters anymore, its going to be amazing.
Rebelguy 3:03 AM - 25 January, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

Exactly, AKA throw all that out dated hardware you clowns are using in the garbage where it belongs and save your pennies for the 72 and 12.

Nothing else matters anymore, its going to be amazing.

Dude you’re hilarious. The crowd could give a shit about what we use to DJ on and if you got skills you can use any gear.
Chino 3:25 AM - 25 January, 2018
Quote:
The crowd could give a shit about what we use to DJ on and if you got skills you can use any gear.

THIS!!
Chino 3:37 AM - 25 January, 2018
I am looking forward to seeing some NAMM demo vids of the 72 & 12.

I wonder if these new Rane products are not only "battle ready" BUT stable & reliable too?? I guess only time will tell...
DJ Tecniq 5:40 AM - 25 January, 2018
Quote:
I am looking forward to seeing some NAMM demo vids of the 72 & 12.

I wonder if these new Rane products are not only "battle ready" BUT stable & reliable too?? I guess only time will tell...
Lately I’ve been hearing SDJ 2.0 is all around more stable and waveforms smoother due to 64 bit support finally which also greatly reduces the cpu. Let’s hope it stays that way.
Johnny H 6:21 AM - 25 January, 2018
Not before time!, every 32 bit version release of serato was getting worse and worse iin stability and performance

Here’s hoping
dj_soo 7:49 AM - 25 January, 2018
Quote:
The crowd could give a shit about what we use to DJ on and if you got skills you can use any gear.

while true, I think a DJ enjoying themselves on their gear makes a difference and I always enjoy myself more when I'm using turntables or my 3900s. The Twelves and the 72 is everything I want in a setup. Everytime I play on a controller or CDJs, I feel like I'm just going through the motions.
DJ Tecniq 8:25 AM - 25 January, 2018
I’m not gonna break my bank for the Rane 72 and Twelves. I’m perfectly happy with my S9 and Technics 1210 mk5’s although i may sell them for decks with extended pitch range.
dj_soo 8:29 AM - 25 January, 2018
I'm going to hold off on the Twelves since my SC3900s are doing the trick for me, but my 62 is ready to be retired and the 72 is everything I wanted the S9 to be and more.
popnwave 3:54 PM - 25 January, 2018
The 72/Twelves is under $3k. That's less than I paid for ONE DVJ-X1 back in 2004.

After seeing the Instagram videos of the 72 in action with the waveforms last night, oooooooh baby I am excited.
Aptidda 4:11 PM - 25 January, 2018
Quote:
I’m not gonna break my bank for the Rane 72 and Twelves. I’m perfectly happy with my S9 and Technics 1210 mk5’s although i may sell them for decks with extended pitch range.

Should of sold the S9 when it was actually worth something, 2 months ago. As soon as this is officially released the S9 is going to be a Pioneer Paper Weight. Its good for holding down piles of loose documents in windy offices.

Check Serato's IG, NAMM is today! 72 is the new KING!
popnwave 4:15 PM - 25 January, 2018
www.instagram.com <- peep those waveforms on the mixerrr I am truly excited.
Robbie O 4:20 PM - 25 January, 2018
Quote:

That maybe true, but not many people will "upgrade" from an S9 to the 72. Its really not that big of a difference. Gear Hoarders don't count. Most real djs will wait to see if its reliable then switch.

Why sell your S9 now, but out of a top of line mixer and hope and pray the 72 is reliable? To save a hundred or two?
Aptidda 4:28 PM - 25 January, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

That maybe true, but not many people will "upgrade" from an S9 to the 72. Its really not that big of a difference. Gear Hoarders don't count. Most real djs will wait to see if its reliable then switch.

Why sell your S9 now, but out of a top of line mixer and hope and pray the 72 is reliable? To save a hundred or two?

Hope and pray it is reliable? Considering the fact that Serato has been putting 100% of their development efforts into this new Hardware and are releasing a new version of Serato potentially today I would be more concerned about the "reliability/issues/ bugs" the S9 is more likely to inherit with this software update.

I am fortunate enough to have a backup mixer I can gig with for the meantime. How about this, I'll be the Guinea Pig for the "Real DJ's" and unbox it, review it, and post it on my YouTube for you penny pinching peasants to drool over. Sound good?
popnwave 4:30 PM - 25 January, 2018
www.instagram.com

LOOK at this one too!
Robbie O 4:31 PM - 25 January, 2018
+1 to you being the Guinea Pig. Me and my clients who listen to my mixing really appreciate it 😂😂😂

Seriously thou, didn’t you buy the S9 the minute it dropped? This isn’t about favorites but a process. Emotions usually lead to bad decisions.
Dj cuervo 4:35 PM - 25 January, 2018
www.instagram.com ....DJ juggling in this one
Rebelguy 5:27 PM - 25 January, 2018
Quote:
Considering the fact that Serato has been putting 100% of their development efforts into this new Hardware and are releasing a new version of Serato potentially today I would be more concerned about the "reliability/issues/ bugs" the S9 is more likely to inherit with this software update.

Hahahahaha. You have no idea what you are talking about. The seventy two has never even been mentioned by the developers during beta testing. They are focusing 100% of their development efforts into trying to make sure the transition to 64 bit is as smooth as possible. The S9 will be totally fine as well.
Aptidda 5:47 PM - 25 January, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
Considering the fact that Serato has been putting 100% of their development efforts into this new Hardware and are releasing a new version of Serato potentially today I would be more concerned about the "reliability/issues/ bugs" the S9 is more likely to inherit with this software update.

Hahahahaha. You have no idea what you are talking about. The seventy two has never even been mentioned by the developers during beta testing. They are focusing 100% of their development efforts into trying to make sure the transition to 64 bit is as smooth as possible. The S9 will be totally fine as well.

only time will tell Léon. Again bow down and all hail and praise the RANE SEVENTY TWO. Basque in its glory at the NAMM show.